As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Witness the beginning of a [movies] thread

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I watched Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri and I need to think about it

now I'm watching Apollo 13

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    y'all I think this tom hanks fella is pretty good

• LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    I should watch Apollo 13. And then From The Earth To The Moon.

It is that week in space history after all.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    We gotta make this fit into the hole for this using nothing but that.

• FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    I should watch Apollo 13. And then From The Earth To The Moon.

It is that week in space history after all.

I'm celebrating with books instead. Got Rocket Men on the go at the moment, and A Man on the Moon for later in the year.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »

@Shorty, If you've never seen it, I highly recommend you experience Mazes & Monsters.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I love Apollo 13

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Let's all watch the pinnacle of Tom Hanks
    zrzh5wkts83e.jpeg

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    As a kid, Money Pit was my favorite hanks

As a homeowner its one of the most upsetting films I've ever seen

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular

As a homeowner its one of the most accurate films I've ever seen

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular

Well yes, thus the terror

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular

Well yes, thus the terror

The bit with the carpet and the bit with the turkey still fucking kill me despite everything else though

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I think they should redo Money Pit to disinterest many people getting into flipping

Start the movie with people going to one of those "free" seminars and go from there do it like a reality show to even more destroy that crap

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Solar wrote: »
    Remember that thread we had over the Christmas period where we mostly all agreed that sometimes this place was very, I dunno, insular?

Mornington Crescent.

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular

I hate that they sold this this way, because this interview with Mads Mikkelsen is just generally delightful

He’s got a real Jeff Bridges vibe

6F32U1X.png
  • HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Crappington Way

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
    everyone always talks about Tom Hanks in Apollo 13, and rightfully so

but I love Ed Harris, he sells it so well

every time he talks I'm like fuck yeah, let's save us some goddamn astronauts

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Ed Harris seems like a really intense actor. Anytime he's in an outtake he like really swears up a storm when he screws up.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    there's a part in The Rock when it becomes clear that he's starting to lose control of his men

and the way he says "stand down, captain" has just always stuck with me

his voice breaks a bit and you can tell he knows that he's losing control

such a great moment

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    My favorite version of Ed Harris was when he played a god.

screen-shot-2014-12-03-at-7-11-35-pm.png

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Ed Harris as Francis X. Hummel in The Rock is one of my favorite characters of all time.

• Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Ed Harris seems like a really intense actor. Anytime he's in an outtake he like really swears up a storm when he screws up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYN6t5xt0ps

The Rock had a Criterion release for awhile.

It's great.

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Oh it's just as easy as googling how to rob a bank I see. What could go wrong.

E: Oh I forgot about renting heist movies from blockbuster, see this is why i'd fail at this sort of thing.

Aistan on
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Let's all watch the pinnacle of Tom Hanks
    zrzh5wkts83e.jpeg

I saw this movie for the hundredth time three months after my wife and I had our daughter.

There's a scene at the beginning where Hanks is explaining, in detail, that he does not want to go on vacation, he does not want to go to the cabin. He wants to stay home, by himself, drink beer and smoke a cigar outside.

It's the closest I've ever felt to a fictional character.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    I gotta be honest I dunno how much I buy aw shucks Tom Hanks as space captain man.

I do very much buy Ed Harris as authority man tho

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

Check out The Ladykillers and get back to me

• JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    I'm still mad at Ed Harris because we put down Frank Harris for a trivia question last week and were wrong. Other than that he's great.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I recall that Ed Harris being so super angry during those Rock outtakes was wide spread he like tried to get out in front of it with "uhh like I'm intense when I play an intense role."

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I feel both the Money Pit and the Burbs can be remade but not in blockbuster reboots

Like I said the Money Pit has to be a start with those annoying ads of If you are in the {redubbed voice} area and invest in property. Show the "free" seminar and how they hook you in. Follow two or three groups in their misadventures of flipping homes {do things like a drunk/lazy/meth head contractor so that groups decides to do it on their own so have them remove a major beam in the house so the ceiling sags. Make fun of Home Despot with that name but don't say it. and Other insane things people do in home renovation
    Show a different group turning the home they bought into a rental and the neighborhood turning on them. Have that neighborhood not quite an HOA.

I would do it as a low budget mockumentary style so you can make fun of those Seminars. The ideal people have about flipping homes and home renovation.

THe more I think about the Burbs you could do it but it would be A political and I don't want it

DarkPrimus wrote: »

Check out The Ladykillers and get back to me

I love that movie and his performance in it.

• A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    League of Their Own is my favorite Hanx

Followed closely by Saving Private Ryan and The Burbs.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYN6t5xt0ps

The Rock had a Criterion release for awhile.

It's great.

I assume that's Michael Bay shouting like a fratty chud

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    I’m very upset, but admittedly unsurprised, to discover that Jonas Akurland’s Polar starring Mads Mikkelsen wearing an eye patch, is apparently a pile of tepid garbage.

• PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    I like when Tom is the pumpkin man with the bone friends

I like when Tom is the pumpkin man with the bone friends

Ladykillers is an underrated movie.

• 2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    I love Ed Harris in Glengarry Glen Ross. I can’t remember another film where his character was so insecure and jaded, and he captured that really well. Just a sad dude in a very specific way.

2 Marcus 2 Ravens on
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Yeah American Animals was really good. Hell of a swing from the fun lighthearted fantasy into the horrible shitty reality. They really don't sugarcoat how awful a thing it was they did.

• FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Hadn’t heard of that one. The elevator pitch sounds weird and interesting.

edited January 2019
    I watched Polar

pretty neat movie, if you can make it past the first five minutes, which are nearly as bad as the first five minutes of The Pest

overall it's sort of like if John Wick were a comic book first

Shorty on
  • Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Zack Snyder will direct Army of the Dead for Netflix

Set amid a zombie outbreak in Las Vegas, a man assembles a group of mercenaries to take the ultimate gamble, venturing into the quarantined zone to pull off the greatest heist ever attempted
    "There are no handcuffs on me at all with this one,” Snyder tells The Hollywood Reporter in an interview.

“I thought this was a good palate cleanser to really dig in with both hands and make something fun and epic and crazy and bonkers in the best possible way,” he says.
    “I love to honor canon and the works of art,” he says of his adaptations, “but this is the opportunity to find a purely joyful way to express myself though a genre. It will be the most kick-ass, self-aware — but not in a wink-to-the-camera way — balls-to-the-wall zombie freakshow that anyone has ever seen. No one’s ever let me completely loose [like this].”

Snyder says he's been energized by the prospect of making this particular story. “I love big action, I love big sequences," he says. "My movie brain starts clicking around and I was like, ‘We need to be shooting this now!’ Constructing these sequences really fired me up.”

One thing Snyder has missed, even while making his mega-tentpoles, is actually operating a camera and “being in the trenches.”

“When the movie gets super big, you get pushed away from the camera," he notes. "And in the last few years I’ve had a reconnection with photography. This movie will be a chance to get the camera in hand."

My heart hopes for Dawn of the Dead 2, my brain reminds me he's made Sucker Punch more recently than that and that was supposedly him "with handcuffs on"

This discussion has been closed.