As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Civilization] New civs, leaders, game features announced as a new season. Vampires!

• Jeep-EepJeep-Eep Registered User regular
    Damn, futch game on point* and culture alla time? My kind of civ.

*If you believe some historians, she was at least bi, and may have been autistic.

I would rather be accused of intransigence than tolerating genocide for the sake of everyone getting along. - @Metzger Meister
  • AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Kristina gets some flak for converting to Catholicism (right when Catholicism was a hegemonic, bullying force in Europe and needed some competition) and for amscraying with some national treasures from Stockholm Castle. She also appointed a bit too many noblemen and accidentally got René Descartes killed by the flu when she invited him over. But that is probably the fault of the designers of Stockholm Castle and the weather.

Apart from that, I have no trouble with her as Sweden's representative. Adding Denmark under Queen Margaret I, founder of the Kalmar Union, would have been cool too.

By my beard and belly! Suleiman leads the Ottomans!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fO-arq7h16E&ab_channel=SidMeier%27sCivilization

Leader ability: Grand Vizier
    Unique governor, Ibrahim, who can be installed in another civilization's capital! Suleiman also gets the Janissary.

Ibrahim's inherent Ability: 20% Production to Military units in the city

First Promotions:
    All Friendly units +5 combat strength when fighting in the city's border
    All Units within 10 tiles of city centre gain +10 combat strength when attacking defensible districts

Second Promotions:
    When established in allied foreign capital, increases alliance levelling rate
    When established in a foreign capital, greivances from city owner against you are reduced by 1 more per turn

Final Promotion:
    When established in a foreign capital, none of the owner's cities exert loyalty pressure towards your cities

Janissary: Musketman replacement. Stronger and cheaper to build. Starts with a free promotion. Consumes a population in the city in which it is built, unless trained in a conquered city.

Civilization Ability - Great Turkish Bombard - +50% Production towards siege units. All siege units gain +5 combat against district defences. Conquered cities do not lose population. Conquered cities gain +1 amenity and +4 loyalty per turn.

Civilization UU: Barbary Corsair - Replaces the Privateer. Can be built earlier. Coastal raids have no movement cost.

Civilization UB: Grand Bazaar - Replaces the Bank. Adds extra amenities and strategic resources.

Almost a pure Domination civ. No yield or adjacency bonuses, no strong start, no benefits to districts etc., but if they get their unique units they can eat up other civilizations without worrying about anything.

Absalon on
  • Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Ivan Hunger on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Holy crap the Ottoman Empire has a lot of strong conquering ability. The only thing they have to struggle with is war mongering.

• Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    Not super impressed with the Janissary. Musketfolk are too slow and i never really use them (should i be using musketmen more?). Maybe the UU is way stronger than musketmen though. The conquered cities having no loyalty issues(I am assuming Ibrahim will be placed in Capital of warring civ here) and extra amenities is super enticing. I feel like if they had a small bit of growth in occupied cities it would go well with their bonuses, but maybe that is busted.

They are the civ i am least excited to play out of the expansion, but that is because i don't warmonger very often. I'm glad they are here because they have been heavily requested since vanilla.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    That is a very EU4 Ottoman. Muskets are good, but really need the second promotion to make them faster or a general. Like everything, they're amazing if you have upgraded them a couple times.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
    Some stuff from the livestream:

Akkad is a new militaristic city-state with the ability of making all your melee and anti-cavs act like they were hanging out with a ram all the time. Which is pretty handy.
    Janisarries get a free promotion when promoted from swordsmen, which is kinda bonkers.

• VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Will Ottomans be banned in online play or is everyone going to play as them, because god damn is that a strong civ in the war department.

edited January 2019
    Another scary thing with the Ottomans is +50% production of ALL siege units and +5 CS for siege units. Battering rams and Siege towers are support units. But the Catapult is a siege unit that can be unlocked very early if you beeline. Mining into Wheel into Engineering.

Absalon on
  • CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    I finally got around to playing some Colonization (the one that came with Civ IV). I've played a bunch of Civilization IV, so the systems weren't completely opaque to me, but this definitely comes from a different generation of games, one where you are expected to read through the manual first. I put a couple of hours in, but ended up uninstalling. Sadly, the game content was a bit too uncomfortable and I really didn't feel like playing a colonial power. I think the Civ V scenario where you have to play as a New World native civilization and resist the colonials successfully was a lot more interesting.

I still need to get around to playing through Fall from Heaven and Ryse Rise and Fall of Civilization, but I'll save that for another time.

edited January 2019
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faKFEv7gO_g

Phoenicia: Mediterranean Colonies
    Embarked settlers have extra movement and sight range, and pay no movement cost to embark or disembark. All coastal cities on the same continent as the capital have always maximum loyalty. Start with the Writing eureka.

Unique district: Cothon - replaces Harbor. Provides extra production of Settlers and Naval units. All Naval units in the borders heal completely in one turn.

Unique Unit: Bireme - replaces Galley. Stronger combat, faster movement, protects naval traders within 4 tiles.

Leader Ability: Founder of Carthage - Can move the capital to a city with a Cothon by completing a special project. +1 trade route capacity for completion of the Government Plaza and any buildings built in it. +50% production to District construction in any city with a Government Plaza.

Eeeh. Eh. Feels like the Cree but more naval and with less yield bonuses. Strong safe start and little else. But saving district production is really good, albeit only for one city. And moving your capital allows for innovative plays.

Fun fact: one of Phoenicia's cities is called Lpqy. I guess they didn't bother writing out some of the vowels they invented.

Absalon on
  • Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    It looks like that was pronounced Lepki if anyone was wondering.

This is a civ for griefers.

This is a civ for griefers.

Nice coastal cities you have there, Indonesia, Phoenicia and Maori.

Would be a shame if.

Someone was to build a bunch of coal plants.

• Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    Looks pretty unexciting to me, will probably play them only after i give all the other expack civs a shot

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular

Makes sense if correct. If I were to spell Lepki phonetically without a vowel, Lpqy would be how I'd do it.

• Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Veevee wrote: »

Makes sense if correct. If I were to spell Lepki phonetically without a vowel, Lpqy would be how I'd do it.

Apparently the greeks and romans had trouble with the pk consonant cluster and it became Leptis and eventually Leptis Magna after the Roman conquest (and eventually Lebda in Arabic)

I wonder why they are going with the old name rather than the ones they have used in previous civs. It is more accurate but a bit weird to see in game.

Edit: especially with Carthage being carthage instead of Qart Hadasht and similar more modern spellings of other cities. (For example Tyre was roughly spelled Sr in Phonecian, Byblos was Gbl, Carthage Qrt Hdsht, etc)

Jealous Deva on
    Veevee wrote: »

Your post made me curious if the word "phonetic" was related to the word "Phoenicia" in any way.

Turns out, other than both being based on greek words, they aren't!

Those abilities are actually super interesting to me. It's different, and I like different.

edited January 2019
    I'm a bit more favorable to them when I consider the extra naval production and settlers from Cothons. The plaza/trade routes, settler embarkation and capital finagling is a decent bonus with flavor but add the Cothon with the settlers and/or ships policy cards and you can spend little production on very very many ships and faster settlers that you can fill up your continent and any safer islands with. Now that chopping forests with Magnus is less rewarding and can come back and bite you, Phoenicia can spread like wildfire. And you might get Monumentality and use faith to buy more settlers. Norway might as well not be in the game.

I forgot the Gov Plaza building that gives you even more Settler production. So if you can start safe with some production tiles and you can invest in all that setup, you're laughing. Being a bit isolated from the start will be crazy important for Phoenicia, especially on higher difficulties.

Absalon on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Those abilities are actually super interesting to me. It's different, and I like different.
    What does loyalty do in the game, again?

Henroid wrote: »

You can make cities betray their owner and join you.

edited January 2019
    Henroid wrote: »

It's basically a mechanic that discourages forward settling. If someone puts a low population city next to a high population city, it will usually rebel and become a free city. That gives the owner of the high population city the opportunity to either raze the low population city without incurring any warmonger penalties or peacefully flip it into their empire.

Later in the game, you can use tricks like golden ages, the entertainment complex city project, religion, and one of the Diplomat's promotions to more aggressively flip cities this way.

Phoenicia's ability to forward settle with impunity is great if you like making people very very angry. You can put your rivals in a position where they either have to declare on you, and be seen as an aggressor by the rest of the world and their own people, or be stuck with several crippled cities for the entire game.

Ivan Hunger on
    That's the last one, right? We just have the leader for a pre-existing civ now I think.

Most intrigued by Mali.

Are they making any changes to existing civs and do we know what they are yet?

ghi9h5ku3jz11.jpg

England has new stuff. There's some kind of General Winter ability for Russia, we think. Some other tweaks, especially to seafaring nations it seems like.

edited January 2019
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfHJiSRNE5M

I sort of wish they would have picked the above as the basis for the Swedish leitmotif instead of "Helan går", which is a nice but less melodious drinking chant. But the instruments are spot-on. The Industrial and Atomic themes are so strong in this game compared to the earlier eras.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6AxdJtN-yk

Absalon on
  • Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    ha, looks like they are putting in the diplomacy system from the Endless series. Hopefully it'll help, nothing else in this expansion is really impressing me. The Diplomacy victory looks like it was ripped right out of Civ 5.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    ghi9h5ku3jz11.jpg

England has new stuff. There's some kind of General Winter ability for Russia, we think. Some other tweaks, especially to seafaring nations it seems like.

No my British Museum :(

I hope they get another leader with that culture bonus back. We need more alt leaders in general, I'm surprised how little they've used that mechanic.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
    edited January 2019
    4X/Strategy YouTuber (hah) PotatoMcWhiskey was offered a press build of Civ VI and did a few hours as the Maori.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=salBY23Abic

Wow there's a new wonder available at Pottery.

ChristopherOdd was allowed to try out Canada.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGWmiOIqG8o

Biffa is playing the Inca.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iqawcrFdR8

Some other Civ streamers have also been given a preview build and are playing the Inca, Sweden and Hungary from what I can see, but they're speaking German or French.

Absalon on
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    I liked this short summary of the new features:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZ8XRJNitCE

I dunno, my girlfriend and I are hyped, but are definitely waiting for reliable reviews first. We were both burned on CivVI vanilla.

Things look so different!

• JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    Aldo wrote: »
    I liked this short summary of the new features:

I dunno, my girlfriend and I are hyped, but are definitely waiting for reliable reviews first. We were both burned on CivVI vanilla.

I 100% expected it to have a lot of problems. I only bought it eventually because friends pressured me and the first expansion was coming up.

Holy moly I didn't know they were introducing natural disasters for all terrain types like that. I thought it was just volcanoes. The flooding thing on rivers could be pretty bad depending on how frequently it happens and how long the damage lasts.

edited January 2019
    The Maori unique building is absurd.

enlightenedbum on
    What? 2 culture and faith for every tile with basically anything except grass or snow on it at the cost of an amphitheatre? Seems balanced.

• GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Pretty sure you can't build improvements and get that bonus though. It's only unimproved tiled. Which is still nice but less crazy.

Persnally I'm loving how weird some of the bonuses these new civs are getting are but I do feel like some of them are ludicrously overpowered. Like Phoenicia, at least naval-wise, just seems to stomp all other naval based civs? Like how are you gonna compete with one turn full heals on any naval unit in friendly territory?

edited February 2019
    You have to beat her up or at least force her to spend resources and time on units before she really gets chugging. She needs those Cothons and arguably a Gov Plaza real badly to take advantage of her benefits and build up a wide set of cities, because she has a waterlocked unique unit, no yield benefits and no bonuses that help with a particular victory type.

Absalon on
  • SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Dido is obviously the focus, but there's a lot of endgame info in this one, particularly focused on the tweaks to the science victory and a peek at the futuretech governments

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxNKVrFoUt8&t=0s

Pinging the capital around certainly has some fun interactions with various culture policies, some really impressive figures on that lategame save.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
    Watching some streams. It looks like city states with unique improvements actually build those now.