As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Elder Scrolls Online] It's the 2nd Era, so is this Oblivion 2, or Oblivion -1?

• KamarKamar Registered User regular
    Finally got my second 50, an Orc DK up, woo. Now to decide whether to try to gear for actually tanking something, or for just being a really tough solo character.

Since I'm pondering what to focus on leveling next, which healers are doing well other than templar (since I already have one)? Last time I looked into it it seemed like Warden was capital-V Viable and sorcerer was Pretty Okay Actually.

• Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Kamar wrote: »
    Finally got my second 50, an Orc DK up, woo. Now to decide whether to try to gear for actually tanking something, or for just being a really tough solo character.

Since I'm pondering what to focus on leveling next, which healers are doing well other than templar (since I already have one)? Last time I looked into it it seemed like Warden was capital-V Viable and sorcerer was Pretty Okay Actually.

What level of content would you be aiming for.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg

I can't imagine I'd ever be doing anything harder than vet dungeons on whatever I end up making.

• Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular

I can't imagine I'd ever be doing anything harder than vet dungeons on whatever I end up making.

Honestly then any are fine and all classes have their appealing points for healing. Templar and Warden are the strongest followed probably by Sorc but DK and NB healers have some fun tricks

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    For anyone worried about being nerfed into oblivion by the racial changes, the numbers aren't all that far apart https://www.reddit.com/r/elderscrollsonline/comments/aj5eyh/raidbuffed_dps_comparison_of_each_race_by_class/.

Like, races with zero relevant racials are parsing like 3k below the top parses, on ~60k parses.

That does sorta undercut me on finishing up my bosmer templar that'd been sitting at 47 for like a year, since my dunmer templar can swing around sharp things just as well with the new racials.

OH WELL.

• Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    That does sorta undercut me on finishing up my bosmer templar that'd been sitting at 47 for like a year, since my dunmer templar can swing around sharp things just as well with the new racials.

OH WELL.

>>;
    <<

(dunmer master race)

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/

OH WELL.

>>;
    <<

(dunmer master race)

I guess it doesn't make a huge difference, since if you want to be viable in another role you still need different CP and gear and stuff, so it's not like you can hop back and forth on a whim like it's WoW just because you're one of the versatile races.

...I do wish they'd just make all the races 'the versatile races', though. I want bosmer and khajiit and orcs, but I play nothing but healers. :|

OH WELL.

>>;
    <<

(dunmer master race)

I guess it doesn't make a huge difference, since if you want to be viable in another role you still need different CP and gear and stuff, so it's not like you can hop back and forth on a whim like it's WoW just because you're one of the versatile races.

...I do wish they'd just make all the races 'the versatile races', though. I want bosmer and khajiit and orcs, but I play nothing but healers. :|

good news, apparently after the race rework, khajiit will be better as healers.

• DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    I got my Warden to CP 160 a month or so ago and I've been pondering what else to level or if I just want to start doing dungeons (I have done nothing but roam around and quest) on him to get some actual gear. Also I've got my blacksmithing up to 40 with woodworking and tailoring at around 35 so I have that to finish up. Plenty of story quests to do till Elsweyr as well. I'm not sure what class I'd level next, but I think it would be either a templar or a sorc if I don't endup wanting to wait for a necromancer. I'm really interested in seeing the skill animations on that one before I decide if I'm going to like it.

What I really wish we'd get is a spellweaver / spellblade type class or better yet, a 1h + spells weapon skill line that used magicka so that magicka builds could have a melee weapon. Maybe make the actual weapon a focus held in the off hand and the main hand is empty, filled magically by a conjured bound weapon.

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
    Finish up your crafting and make some good armor now that you're 160 plus

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    Yeah that's likely what I will do. I'm not a hard core player or anything (took over a year to get 1 char to 50) so that will take me awhile. I'm in no rush either way. I never plan on doing any vet content, just normal dungeons and at somepoint trials.

Whats your class/build?

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    I probably oughta get back to ESO myself. Got around 10K Crowns built up due to ESO-Gold so I was wondering if I oughta buy a house. The medium and large Orc homes are pretty nice and them being furnished are within my reach though if you do get them furnished, does that mean you won't have room to add more stuff in until you store something away?

• vamenvamen Registered User regular
    I'm going to miss the big gold daily login reward by ONE day. *weep*

• Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    vamen wrote: »

The daily logins were, ironically I suppose, part of why I stopped playing. I was getting annoyed by the pressure to make sure I didn't miss a day and lose out on whatever "big" reward would come later in the month.

Daily login rewards are great. But they should be cumulative overall, not this cyclical nonsense.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • vamenvamen Registered User regular
    edited January 2019

The daily logins were, ironically I suppose, part of why I stopped playing. I was getting annoyed by the pressure to make sure I didn't miss a day and lose out on whatever "big" reward would come later in the month.

Daily login rewards are great. But they should be cumulative overall, not this cyclical nonsense.

Yea, I am very torn on daily rewards in games and always have been. On one hand, it's super cool to unlock a new mount because you've been active in the game. On the other hand, it's a slippery slope to make it feel like a reward and not a second job. I do not like the ones where you can miss a day and have it all reset (Warframe, I think, does this) nor how ESOs works. Cumulative is the way to go, IMO.

I think FF14's works very well for a sub game though I don't know how deep it goes, having only been subbed a few times.

GW2s I like because it's cumulative, but it's also super boring because it just repeats the same rewards on a 28 day cycle. And each week has the same rewards as the next, just slightly more. So on day one you get 2 mystic coins. On day 8, you get 4 mystic coins. Day 15, 6 of them. And after you get all the rewards for that cycle, it just starts all over and you get your single exp scroll on day 1.

vamen on
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

Yea, I am very torn on daily rewards in games and always have been. On one hand, it's super cool to unlock a new mount because you've been active in the game. On the other hand, it's a slippery slope to make it feel like a reward and not a second job. I do not like the ones where you can miss a day and have it all reset (Warframe, I think, goes this) nor how ESOs works. Cumulative is the way to go, IMO.

I think FF14's works very well for a sub game though I don't know how deep it goes, having only been subbed a few times.

GW2s I like because it's cumulative, but it's also super boring because it just repeats the same rewards on a 28 day cycle. And each week has the same rewards as the next, just slightly more. So on day one you get 2 mystic coins. On day 8, you get 4 mystic coins. Day 15, 6 of them. And after you get all the rewards for that cycle, it just starts all over and you get your single exp scroll on day 1.

Warframe's does not reset on a missed day. The one exception to this was when they rolled out their current system where a few players who were due to get a specific reward under the old system now got something else instead they didn't want as much.

Warframe's is different in general now with a few specific reward batches for every 50 days of logins whether or not they are consecutive. On other days, the rewards scale in quantity with total days logged in so someone who has played for years would get more resources from a reward than someone who just started. Higher player MR level skews the drop towards rarer rewards.

It's not a perfect system and I'm of mixed feelings on long term, cumulative log in rewards. The monthly cycles in ESO meant that even a newer player could get something cool towards the end of the month and it only got to really be a pain for me when they started doing rewards where you couldn't miss one day of logging in. I was happy with the first few months where you could miss about a week and still get the final reward. But I do like the general things like random resources or duration of boosters increasing with play time so it's not quite the exact same reward as you got the previous month.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    The daily logins should annoy the heck out of me, but they don't. I guess I'm already used to logging in daily for mount upgrades and stuff like that.

There was one month that was bad and frustrating because the big reward required nearly every day to get, but most times there is a lot more wiggle room.

• Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular

Yea, I am very torn on daily rewards in games and always have been. On one hand, it's super cool to unlock a new mount because you've been active in the game. On the other hand, it's a slippery slope to make it feel like a reward and not a second job. I do not like the ones where you can miss a day and have it all reset (Warframe, I think, goes this) nor how ESOs works. Cumulative is the way to go, IMO.

Warframe's does not reset on a missed day. The one exception to this was when they rolled out their current system where a few players who were due to get a specific reward under the old system now got something else instead they didn't want as much.

Warframe's is different in general now with a few specific reward batches for every 50 days of logins whether or not they are consecutive. On other days, the rewards scale in quantity with total days logged in so someone who has played for years would get more resources from a reward than someone who just started. Higher player MR level skews the drop towards rarer rewards.

It's not a perfect system and I'm of mixed feelings on long term, cumulative log in rewards. The monthly cycles in ESO meant that even a newer player could get something cool towards the end of the month and it only got to really be a pain for me when they started doing rewards where you couldn't miss one day of logging in. I was happy with the first few months where you could miss about a week and still get the final reward. But I do like the general things like random resources or duration of boosters increasing with play time so it's not quite the exact same reward as you got the previous month.

But they still could if ESO used a cumulative system. You get increasingly interesting/useful login rewards for 30 not-necessarily-consecutive days, culminating in a pet/mount/outfit/whatever, and then there's a new cycle to start on. You're not punished for missing days - at worst, you're just behind, but you're still working toward the same 30-day goal. A total newbie would still be on the same 30-day reward cycle as someone who has never, ever missed a day, but the casual "play a couple days here and there" player would not lose out either.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited January 2019

But they still could if ESO used a cumulative system. You get increasingly interesting/useful login rewards for 30 not-necessarily-consecutive days, culminating in a pet/mount/outfit/whatever, and then there's a new cycle to start on. You're not punished for missing days - at worst, you're just behind, but you're still working toward the same 30-day goal. A total newbie would still be on the same 30-day reward cycle as someone who has never, ever missed a day, but the casual "play a couple days here and there" player would not lose out either.

They could still have cool milestone rewards but they want themed rewards for some months, e.g. the Halloween themed pet in October and the New Year's hat in December which requires some seasonal restrictions. There are ways to do both like associating every 28 days of logins with a mount/pet/hat/big reward/etc reward flag and then that reward mapping to whatever the appropriate reward for the month is but that's going to do weird things at times like give some players the great big reward early in the month or figuring out what to do when players gets two big reward flags in one month.

Seasonal login rewards are way different from the generic rewards other games I've seen try this dole out and make this a headache but also are a lot more interesting than the samey rewards we normally get in other games.

Really though, the goal is to try to make players login every day and try to convert those couple days here and and there players into never miss a day players which is annoying since one of the draws of the game has been that the lack of required subscription makes it easy to drop it for a while and come back. But they've actually put in effort to make it worth it even for long time players by actually having unique rewards on a frequent basis which is a rarity. Throwing in the Murkmire DLC as a reward and not even requiring not missing a day for that month is far more generous a daily reward than any other I've seen. So yeah, it sucks for casuals and lapsed players (which I am given that the game's autopatching stopped working for my back in September and I got tired of manually downloading update files) that want to remain that way but it's a huge boon to a lot of other players more so than other implementations of such systems.

Further edit for further thoughts: Obviously every daily login system is put in with the hope of making more casual players log in more often. But while some feel like they also double as way to help more casual players not fall behind (e.g. Guild Wars 2 rewarding mystic coins and crafting materials for legendaries that add up over time so one doesn't have to get as much of those in game to) and end up feeling generic and uninteresting over time too, ESO has gone the way of trying to have unique or valuable rewards even for more experienced players. The lump sums of 100,000 gold they've done twice now are actually on the lower end of interesting rewards IMO but still generated a lot of buzz among players. Again, I'm not fond of the way it makes things feel like work but they've also put in work on their end each month instead of doing a one off script that's allowed to run until the end of time.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Celebrate the spirit of Heart's Day! 💕 Send gifts totaling 1000 Crowns to two different friends to receive an exclusive (and adorable) pet pig. https://beth.games/2DPmcIu

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Here's some nice news for those bummed about the racial changes.
    MMORPG.com wrote:
    Ahead of the upcoming reworking of Racials in Elder Scrolls Online, the team has heard player feedback about "the total number of high level characters from ESO accounts" and will be awarding every player three race change tokens and three name change tokens. These will be automatically added to player accounts ahead of Update 21 when the changes to racials go into effect.

In addition, players will be able to purchase a specially priced bundle of name/race change tokens from the Crown Store if more are needed.

The daily login rewards are nice but they didn't change how I play overall. If there is some reward I really want I will login just to make sure I get that, but usually I just ignore the system and play when I play.
    Whats your class/build?

Warden / aimless-wanderer. At some point I'll "get serious" and look up a build on alcast's site, substitute the super cool gear for whatever I can actually craft, but clearing high end content just isn't much of a concern to me.

I was thinking more along the lines of are you using magicka? Stam? That sort of thing.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    edited February 2019
    Oh I'm a stamden lately, been leveling up stam weapons. I nearly always have my bear though, it's just a thing for me. I have the little cave bear cub and the cave bear mount too.

I've been leveling up 1h/shield and I'm nearly done, at like 48. I'll probably respec and move on to dual wielding, the last I stam wep skill line left. I have destro staff at like 47 from earlier on so after DW I'll likely respec again and finish that up / lvl resto staff to finish it out. By then I should be able to craft some gear and spec for a more meta oriented build, probably a tanky pvp build for Cryodil / IS shenanigans.

DarkMecha on
    Taking advantage of free ESO+ week to get through some DLC stories, starting with the Imperial City. Really not having fun, between the roving gank squads and the random group content. I managed to scrape through the Arena solo only to get ganked right after and have to redo it because the door to the Rat wouldn't open. Now I'm stuck on the last boss of The Bleeding Temple, who has half a million health and does 20k with his slam attack to my 19k health.

Taking advantage of free ESO+ week to get through some DLC stories, starting with the Imperial City. Really not having fun, between the roving gank squads and the random group content. I managed to scrape through the Arena solo only to get ganked right after and have to redo it because the door to the Rat wouldn't open. Now I'm stuck on the last boss of The Bleeding Temple, who has half a million health and does 20k with his slam attack to my 19k health.

Which faction is your character in?

I have max level characters in each; I'd be happy to come with you to try to help you survive gank squads. I'd love to do the quests.

With that said, I'd say skip Imperial City, DLC wise. Do Thieves Guild; it has some of THE best writing in ANY Elder Scrolls game.

Basically my recommendations for DLC are completely out of chronological order and in order of how good I think they are, and it goes like this

Thieves Guild (the writing is stupid, stupid good)
    Clockwork City (the lore is really good)
    Murkmire (The lore is also really good)
    Orsinium (rebuilding the city feels really cool; also pretty decent lore)
    Dark Brotherhood (Mostly a big ol love letter to the Oblivion DB questline, but a well crafted one; the perks you get from the DB skill line are actually pretty good; namely you draw less aggro while on a horse and you can insta-kill most humanoid enemies by sneaking up behind them, including a very rare few delve bosses) (it's mostly just a few misflagged bosses but boy does it feel good to just instagank one)
    Imperial City (seriously don't bother)
    Dungeons (idk do you like dungeons??? ????)

(the actual chronological release order was, iirc, Orisinium, IC, TG, DB, CC, Murkmire.)

Thanks for the offer! I ended up making it through the Imperial City questline, now I'm working on Wrothgar.

Thanks for the offer! I ended up making it through the Imperial City questline, now I'm working on Wrothgar.

Well, damn, now it's *my* turn to go "hey uh, anybody want to help me finish the IC questline...?" :P

Well, damn, now it's *my* turn to go "hey uh, anybody want to help me finish the IC questline...?" :P

I could dip over there to help with the group content parts if you're doing it on an EP character--Arena's arena and Temple's gauntlet ending with the big guy are the only things rough to solo that I remember, outside of the general threat of getting ganked.

I could dip over there to help with the group content parts if you're doing it on an EP character--Arena's arena and Temple's gauntlet ending with the big guy are the only things rough to solo that I remember, outside of the general threat of getting ganked.

I can ABSOLUTELY do it on my EP character; she's a DPS Magika DK, but given... a few days advance notice, I can *at least* get her skills redone for PVP (I need more skill points is all). Armor? If it's craftable, it's trivial; she's my main crafter.

OH WELL.

>>;
    <<

(dunmer master race)

Hey so, in the recent PTS patch notes:

"Feline Ambush: Reworked the 8% Spell and Weapon Critical Strike Chance to 10% Critical Damage and Critical Healing."

Soon, you will have your Healer Cat.

Natch Potes.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/460633/pc-mac-patch-notes-v4-3-5-wrathstone-update-21

Khajiit are now meta for heals

The new dungeons have some GREAT sets for Warden Tanks; shame I don't give a damn about dungeon DLC

HUGE UI improvements for those on console / not using addons (... if you're on PC, why are you not using addons!? that's the entire reason to use PC!)

No CP updates while they review things

!actually neat! Assassin's Arbitration updated to acknowledge if you're part of the Dark Brotherhood (I might be going to test this as we speak)

I have NOT been on lately; I was eaten by Warframe. So, if you wanted in on the Ash Housewares guild (which is now more or less the main guild, I guess?) let me know and I'll try to get to it. Sorry for the delay.

• NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    Started playing again, bought the high elf expansion and subbed.
    Doing Clockwork city dlc now before heading to the elf island.

And frankly, i am disappointed.
    Writing is good, characters are interesting, Divath Fyr remains the magnificent bastard he has been since Morrowind (may have some nostalgia going here), and so on.
    But did we really need another take on ruins upon ruins upon ruins?
    These could have been city of polished brass, of gleaming towers and bright lights.
    Instead, it feels like an offbrand dwemer ruins all out.

That said, i do like the argument Chancelor is making,
    i think he gets to live.

• UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    I agree with that, it felt like a letdown to me overall. Everything kinda breaking down, falling apart, not working right...THIS is the domain of a god? His gleaming, perfect clockwork city?

I know they try to explain it via lore, that Sotha Sil is sorta absentee/doesn't care enough, and they need there to be many problems in order to have it be an MMO zone full of quests and conflict. But I don't care, it was better in my head beforehand.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    Related note:

@UncleSporky , help me recruit people from the Warframe thread to here.

They're all like "isn't ESO dead? didn't it suck?" and I'm like

"DID YOU KNOW YOU CAN JUST FUCKING DARK BROTHERHOOD PPL, INCL SOME INCORRECTLY FLAGGED BOSSES"

Biggest problem with ESO was, is, and probably will remain is how fiddly the combat is, my dps should not go up and down by 300% because of split second time delay on mouse clicks. Would not be so bad, except some dungeon bosses have enrage timers.
    Still haven't dared to go into a veteran dungeon since i started playing again because i just don't trust my dps to get past 20k, even with decent gear and skills.
    Also the base UI/controls suck for the combat system that demands constant weapon switching and movement.
    Half tempted to try a controller.

But once you get past those issues, the game is fun to play and stories mostly well written.
    And surprisingly well populated.
    Sure it's not as full of people it once was, but for a game this old, there is a fairly decent amount of people playing and the lfg tool seems to actually work to get some dungeon runs in fairly decent time.

Really should get into housing side of the game, just need to find a million gold from somewhere to buy an actual house.

Nyysjan wrote: »
    Biggest problem with ESO was, is, and probably will remain is how fiddly the combat is, my dps should not go up and down by 300% because of split second time delay on mouse clicks. Would not be so bad, except some dungeon bosses have enrage timers.
    Still haven't dared to go into a veteran dungeon since i started playing again because i just don't trust my dps to get past 20k, even with decent gear and skills.
    Also the base UI/controls suck for the combat system that demands constant weapon switching and movement.
    Half tempted to try a controller.

But once you get past those issues, the game is fun to play and stories mostly well written.
    And surprisingly well populated.
    Sure it's not as full of people it once was, but for a game this old, there is a fairly decent amount of people playing and the lfg tool seems to actually work to get some dungeon runs in fairly decent time.

Really should get into housing side of the game, just need to find a million gold from somewhere to buy an actual house.

Which in turn means that if you're not interested in hardcore dungeons/trials... you're fine. Or, alternatively, roll a tank. God knows we need more tanks, and then attack weaving doesn't matter.

As for controllers: I got an MMO mouse for free way back in 2012 and haven't been able to go back since. Currently using a Logitech G600. It makes games like ESO *much* easier. I've got weapon swap keybound to the #7 button on the side, just below the 1-5 for my main skills. R is still Ultimate, as it's right next to my movement keys.

Doing the Summerset now, and who do i find? Well if it isn't my old friend Razum Dar, i sense good times ahead.
    Somehow i can't remember any import figures in any of the other factions.
    But this guy sticks to mind.
    Well, there is Stibbons and Lady Clarisse, those two are fun.
    But from major storyline npc's, nope, only Razum Dar sticks to mind.
    Which in turn means that if you're not interested in hardcore dungeons/trials... you're fine. Or, alternatively, roll a tank. God knows we need more tanks, and then attack weaving doesn't matter.

As for controllers: I got an MMO mouse for free way back in 2012 and haven't been able to go back since. Currently using a Logitech G600. It makes games like ESO *much* easier. I've got weapon swap keybound to the #7 button on the side, just below the 1-5 for my main skills. R is still Ultimate, as it's right next to my movement keys.
    I am interested in trials, just not interested enough to go out and find a guild.
    And while its true to general gameplay is easy enough to not demand the mastery of the system, it is hardly a defense of the system when the difficulty comes from poor design, because i can't really see the attack weaving as good design, it's too vulnerable to so many variables, from frame rate, tiniest of stutters, lag, even sensitiveness of the mouse buttons.

Used to have a razer naga, have had 2 over time, but eventually both broke, one lasted for years, the other 6 months, made mmo's in general lot easier.
    Might get a logitech gaming mouse eventually, but really not interested in spending up to 60 euroes for a good gaming mouse right now, and, it really should not be needed.