As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Subnautica] Below Zero Launch on May 14th

• ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Sirialis wrote: »
    Cyclops should have had a “Recharge while in sunlight” mod like the one I just got for my Seamoth.

Screw that noise. Just let me build a nuclear reactor in the damned thing and never have to worry about power again. Like, I've got several spare fuel rods sitting in one of my bases because the 4 I plugged into the reactor there are never conceivably going to run out of juice.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    My poor old system can barely run the game now, so between waiting for vid card prices to finally come down and the inevitable launch bugs, I probably won't get to this until summer.

Commander Zoom on
    edited January 2019
    My poor old system can barely run the game now, so between waiting for vid card prices to finally come down and the inevitable launch bugs, I probably won't get to this until summer.

With the arctic expansion, they've gone on record saying that the Early Access version that's coming next week is going to be similar to how Early Access was with the core game: rough, missing features, and not optimized...so it likely won't run well on even beefy systems.

EDIT - what I'm getting at is that "Summer" might be optimistic given how Subnautica-Core Early Access went :P

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
    edited January 2019
    So completely unplayable on mine... well, good to know / have that confirmed, I guess.

Commander Zoom on
  • SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Finally beat this on Sunday, and yeah the endgame goes by pretty fast. It took me much longer because
    I completely missed the cave that leads you to the Emperor Leviathan, and I just went to search elsewhere. I found the ion batteries and barely used them as well, the mid-game batteries mod is definitely better done in that regard.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    The timing of some of the end-game tech is definitely closer to the finish than I would have liked, yeah.

• MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Yeah, I maintain that the vanilla game you should have been able to reach the power plant via Seamoth, or the power plant should have been somewhere unconnected to the final area. Like, maybe in a cave below the floating islands. Some way to get better batteries mid-game.

Slightly related... I have found a lot more time capsules this time around, given many more people have beaten the game in the last year.

I find myself disappointed.

I got lucky with the first one and got a seaglide with an ion battery in it, but the remaining 90% of them have been useless. Generally people seem to just shove their various tools on-hand into the capsule. I got a few spare batteries out of that but at this point I have flat-out tossed multiple repair tools, habitat builders, stasis guns, etc... When I did mine last year I gave someone an ion battery and the mats to make a thermal plant.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
    From what I've read is that they now filter multiple mid/end game items out of the capsules, so that you can't just simply put some ion batteries in there or an MK3 depth module. The ones you still get are because those are capsules that were approved before they implemented such a filter.

Satsumomo wrote: »
    From what I've read is that they now filter multiple mid/end game items out of the capsules, so that you can't just simply put some ion batteries in there or an MK3 depth module. The ones you still get are because those are capsules that were approved before they implemented such a filter.

... Then what is the point? Odd.

• DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    I know I got a few Ion batteries out of capsules and left a couple in mine. I don't remember ever crafting one though, so I think I found enough to get by on.

steam_sig.png
    Daimar wrote: »
    I know I got a few Ion batteries out of capsules and left a couple in mine. I don't remember ever crafting one though, so I think I found enough to get by on.

Yeah you really only need a couple ion batteries really. Seaglide, stasis gun, maybe a power cell for a seamoth/prawn.

Other tools don't get enough use to be worth it.

I wish I could find a list of what is and isn't allowed.

Yeah I tried finding that list before sending out my capsule, but I just put a bunch of +50 water bottles in it :(

• NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    I got lucky with the first one and got a seaglide with an ion battery in it
    Do you have the message/picture from that capsule still? Curious if it's mine.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
    edited January 2019
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    I got lucky with the first one and got a seaglide with an ion battery in it
    Do you have the message/picture from that capsule still? Curious if it's mine.

Pretty sure it was in Mandarin. I can look it up tonight.

MuddBudd on
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    My time capsule was a stasis rifle, thermoblade, and ion battery, because I figured that would be useful if someone found it before they could make those things.

• VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    I don't remember what I put in my capsule, but I know it was something relatively difficult to find so I thought I would help someone out

• RamiRami Registered User regular
    Mine was a cuddlefish and 1 (2?, can't remember how much space there was) mods for the cyclops. The thermal energy recharge and, if there was space, the deepest depth module.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
    I played after they disallowed cuddlefish eggs. :( So instead I think I went with a thermoblade™ and some other useful item.

• JMan711JMan711 6'8" weighs a f*&#ing ton He's coming, he's coming, he's comingRegistered User regular
    I’ve been playing this on and off since it was given away on the Epic Store and I’ve been really enjoying it. I’m still pretty early on (I think) and only been exploring the nearby areas and had the first major story event happen.

I’m now trying to find diamond to build a laser cutter but I have no idea where to look. Which direction from the pod should I try to explore?

steam_sig.png
    JMan711 wrote: »
    I’ve been playing this on and off since it was given away on the Epic Store and I’ve been really enjoying it. I’m still pretty early on (I think) and only been exploring the nearby areas and had the first major story event happen.

I’m now trying to find diamond to build a laser cutter but I have no idea where to look. Which direction from the pod should I try to explore?

Hmm... So eventually, a story event will ask you to go to a specific place, with a timer given. When you get there, look around that place.

• BladeXBladeX Registered User regular
    3 hours until launch? Now we play the waiting game...

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
  • GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Can we make holes in the ice that can eventually refreeze so we have panicked moments of trying to find or make another exit?

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
    edited January 2019
    Well after a false start where they forgot to include the exe in the steam download, looks like everyone is playing. Just starting now as was doing some rocket League.

Edit: 90 seconds to load, my PC might not be cut out for this haha.

BladeX on
    Purchased and downloaded remotely thanks to the mobile app. Won't be able to try it out till tonight though. Probably won't mess with it much though until it leaves early access

Hopefully the EA period is quick because I'm going to wait for the full game so I can experience it as intended. Super excited!

The opening bit they showed on stream the other day certainly looked pretty polished, but who knows past that.

Oh I'm sure everything more or less works since they would have ironed out a lot of stuff in the original game, but I want everything to be in place when I go 'splorin'.

In OG Subnautica last night, I continued work on my current project. Getting scanner rooms built in a bunch of biomes to track down various resources so when I go deep, I can take a large supply with me. So far I have:

Safe Shallows: For wreckage, quartz, and stalker teeth in the nearby kelp
    Underwater islands: Mostly for finding shale.
    Mushroom Forest: Copper deposits
    Grassy Plateau/Edge of Dunes: Lead deposits

And finally, just built one in the Grand Reef to find extra rubies. Although I miscalculated the first attempt and built literally JUST out of the visible range of the Reefs resident 'big boy'. That necessitated a rather hasty base movement. First time I've built down there. It's not as scary as I thought it would be.

I am annoyed though, theres a bug with large resource deposits that they show on the scanner even after you harvest them.

• Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    I did Subnautica through nearly all three years of Early Access and was super down the whole time, so I'm down for this one.

Seems though they're planning a much shorter early access - makes sense, since the fundamentals are all there already.

Anyway, so far, it has a much different feel right away - but I think that may because they have already got story and voice acting, whereas Subnautica early access was pure game mechanics and world building for quite some time. I really like the actors they got for
    Robin and Sam, super natural feeling dialogue and early emotional investment makes the player character feel more like a person than the original

I haven't found a habitat builder tool yet, and that's what I want to do most, so I'm a tad bit frustrated since I'm already a couple hours in, but we'll see.

• Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Did they ever put in female character models? I know that was on their roadmap at some point.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
    Step off the steps of the base at the start. Fall through the world and take fall damage off the ice under the world. This must be what early access Subnautica felt like haha.

• NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Hrum, found the rebreather blueprint, still no sign of the habitat constructor.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
    edited January 2019
    Nova_C wrote: »
    I did Subnautica through nearly all three years of Early Access and was super down the whole time, so I'm down for this one.

Seems though they're planning a much shorter early access - makes sense, since the fundamentals are all there already.

Anyway, so far, it has a much different feel right away - but I think that may because they have already got story and voice acting, whereas Subnautica early access was pure game mechanics and world building for quite some time. I really like the actors they got for
    Robin and Sam, super natural feeling dialogue and early emotional investment makes the player character feel more like a person than the original

I haven't found a habitat builder tool yet, and that's what I want to do most, so I'm a tad bit frustrated since I'm already a couple hours in, but we'll see.

I will say, I like that there is more narrative this time. I played Subnautica early as it developed, and it was great, but the instant I started watching the Neebs Gaming playthrough where Appsro was in contact with a handler via radio... it clicked for me that this is what the game was missing. It just worked so well. I wish the PDA had been chattier in that regard.

MuddBudd on
    I'm curious when Below Zero happens in relation to the first game. Timeline-wise

• Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    I'm curious when Below Zero happens in relation to the first game. Timeline-wise

Two years after the events of the original.

• HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    The roadmap also indicates about 1 year of early access this time. They do have an engine already so they can focus more on content and story this time.

BladeX wrote: »
    Step off the steps of the base at the start. Fall through the world and take fall damage off the ice under the world. This must be what early access Subnautica felt like haha.

Back during the EA of Subnautica, I distinctly remember being at the helm of my Cyclops exploring some deep areas and being all chill and mellow (this was back when the Cyclops was indestructible). Suddenly, I fell through the deck and the game physics didn't acknowledge that I was in water. My oxygen meter did, though. So there I was, walking along the ocean bottom, bleeding oxygen and low on health, and just staring straight up at the hatch leading back into the Cyclops...but there I was, unable to swim. I put the game down until the next major update (which, I think, was the one that implemented Cyclops damage states).

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I heard that this is a survival game that might actually be fun (I have yet to find one that isn't a torturous grind.)

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    Cantido wrote: »
    I heard that this is a survival game that might actually be fun (I have yet to find one that isn't a torturous grind.)

yep. It does involve horrible sea creatures sneaking up on you and scaring the piss out of you though.