As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Witness the beginning of a [movies] thread

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I am FINALLY watching The Final Girls

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Fuck...that was a GREAT movie

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

I was super not on board with the idea of another Dune adaptation but their casting has been so good that I am growing progressively more interested.

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Fuck...that was a GREAT movie
    Emotionally resonant strip tease

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    "Ha ha! I threw that shit before I walked in the ROOM!"

Yeah ... yeah, Black Dynamite is pretty damn good.

• wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    If I want anyone to adapt Dune, it's the folks behind the most visually beautiful, exciting sci-fi film of the millennium

but apparently the Wachowskis are retired so instead of the people who made Speed Racer I guess the person who made the new Blade Runner is fine

wandering on
  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    My Dune directors in descending order:

Genndy Tartakovsky
    Takeshi Koike
    Nicolas Refn
    Wachowskis
    Ang Lee
    Villnue

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
  • FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Oh hey, anyone that hasn't seen Black Dynamite and wants to watch it: it's listed as "Available until Feb 1" on Netflix.

• Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
  • GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    I'm watching The Equalizer for the first time, and it seems okay, but the bad guy has maybe the least intimidating tattoos of any movie villain that's meant to have intimidating tattoos, of all time.

So, in honour of his very silly back piece: best tattoo in a movie?

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I'm watching The Mummy, the one from 1999

this movie is pretty good but could really have lost like fifteen minutes from the first half

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Grislo wrote: »
    I'm watching The Equalizer for the first time, and it seems okay, but the bad guy has maybe the least intimidating tattoos of any movie villain that's meant to have intimidating tattoos, of all time.

Sirius Black

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular

Maui in Moana

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Viggo Mortensen's tattoos in Eastern Promises are pretty good.

I'm stealing @DaMoonRulz joke from when he saw this
    Its like a xenomorph got ahold of the angry sun from Mario 3

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular

constantine.jpg

Robert-Mitchum-011.jpg?width=620&quality=85&auto=format&fit=max&s=12642a7396bdb7ea3754765580eb9889

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I have never seen Fistful of Dollars

I am watching Fistful of Dollars

this movie is extremely cool

• Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    I watched The Standoff at Sparrow Creek last night. Pretty good, lean, hotbox thriller. Looks good with some good lighting and camera work, tight editing, doesn't feel amateurish or budget (minus it mostly being a handful of people in a single location), good performances with kind of poppy dialogue, not super stylized but a little heft to it.

So here's the plot - a cop funeral is shot up and a local militia discovers that someone in their group did it. And the lead, played by James Badge Dale, is a former cop and starts putting the screws to folks to get a confession and to make sure this only blows back on the person that did the deed and not the entire militia.

And there we have it - pretty much all the people in the movie are milita, guys with modified ARs and armor piercing bullets and grenades and body armor "We're a militia with intent" and boy, it sure paints a picture. It's a bunch of violent thieves, it's got WAY less baggage but these yahoos... But here's the thing, and it's a weird one - I don't feel that movie comes down on either pro-cop or pro-militia, but those are pretty much the two sides in the movie and that's gonna a big pill for some no doubt, it makes some of the movie pretty murky to navigate. To get into it anymore would spoil a few things but I'm still chewing over it this morning.

I liked it, it's a good movie, I'd love to see more from the director but also, the next movie written or directed by him will, I think, really put into perspective what his real feelings are about all this stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cu8cfNMu99Y

Anyway, it's on VOD right now and it's worth checking out.

• cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »

A Few Dollars More is better, but yes it is a very good movie.

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    I hope they also stay on Kanopy

(for people who don't know about Kanopy, like me a few months ago, it's pretty great! Certain amount of free movies every month with a library card. http://www.kanopy.com/)

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    cursedking wrote: »
    Shorty wrote: »

A Few Dollars More is better, but yes it is a very good movie.

I think Few Dollars More is actually the best of the three. Like tightest pacing with best ending and villain.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Vin Diesel having his DND character as one of his tattoos in xXx is a good one too

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    announce a ps4 app already criterion

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• 2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    I can’t believe they’re actually launching the new criterion deal in Canada. Filmstruck never came up here.

I definitely want a PS4 app, but I’ll take those Ozu flicks however I can get em.

• KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    announce a ps4 app already criterion

I'd settle for making it a channel I can subscribe to through Amazon, allowing me to watch it on my tv. I'd prefer it if they managed their own app though so that Amazon wouldn't be taking a cut (unlike the dum dums at Shudder).

edited January 2019
    how

how is what that movie is the distributors fault

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    how

According to the article they were supposedly promised a lot of publicity stuff that never materialized.

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    how

They should have sold it as a comedy.

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    Man I bet you have to go some to be the worst opening of Matthew McConaughey's career

I don't have a specific example but I always imagined that he had like 12 movies that no one watched

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    "Publicity" there really means "tricking people into seeing it up front before word of mouth about what it really is gets out and tanks everything", right?

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

Sometimes, Hollywood needs to be burned to the ground.

• David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Man I bet you have to go some to be the worst opening of Matthew McConaughey's career

I don't have a specific example but I always imagined that he had like 12 movies that no one watched

Hmm.
    Deadline wrote:
    But a steamy film anchored by two Oscar-winning stars ought to show up better than an eighth-place finish for its opening weekend, at a paltry $4.4 million.
    The Paperboy
    Total Lifetime Grosses
    Domestic: $693,286

I think the Paperboy might have done worse. I don't have opening weekend numbers specifically, but I think it did worse (as did "Gold", "Mud", "Killer Joe" and no doubt any number of other McConaughey vehicles).

euj90n71sojo.png
  • rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    "Publicity" there really means "tricking people into seeing it up front before word of mouth about what it really is gets out and tanks everything", right?

Based on the article they didn’t even run TV spots like they were supposed to. I don’t think people even knew it was actually out even if they were interested by that original trailer.

• Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    edited January 2019

Y'all remember that movie Gold he was in? Had a bad trailer but seemed like a total "based on a true story" Oscar bait bullshit? Was released Dec. 30, 2016? Made 3.5 mil it's opening weekend, which is less than that so like...I'm not quite sure what metric they're using.

Ahhh, covered by David. Perhaps it's movies starring both of them which, yeah, Interstellar DID make more money.

Medium Dave on
  • Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    BoxOfficeMojo has more detailed summaries but basically Serenity opened in 2500 theaters. If you're bored by this stuff I'll put it in spoiler tags but I find this stuff fascinating so I'll continue to talk about it
    David_T wrote: »
    The Paperboy

The Paperboy opened in 11 theaters
    Y'all remember that movie Gold he was in? Had a bad trailer but seemed like a total "based on a true story" Oscar bait bullshit? Was released Dec. 30, 2016? Made 3.5 mil it's opening weekend, which is less than that so like...I'm not quite sure what metric they're using.

Gold opened in ~2100 theaters, and Larger Than Life was in 2400, those were the closest to opening in as many theaters while being this bad at making money

Anne Hathaway had 8 films that released in less than 130 theaters each that did worse opening weekends. No film she was in that played in 2000+ theaters before this made less than $9.5mil in 3 days

Sweeney Tom on
    Aistan wrote: »

that's essentially what they tried to do by obscuring most of the actual plot of the movie in the trailer

it backfired because instead of one of the dumbest things you've ever heard of, it instead was either a deeply boring film that got shoved to January because nobody believed in it, or you didn't hear about it at all

This discussion has been closed.