As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Witness the beginning of a [movies] thread

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    The more I heard about it the more I wanted to see it

• Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    how

how is what that movie is the distributors fault

How Deadline explained it, McConaughey and Hathaway liked the film and had an agreement with Aviron to do a full media promotional advertising blitz campaign. Instead their calls weren't returned when they wanted to know why there weren't a lot of TV ads, it got a few ads on TV as pittance and dumped on a random week in January as is tradition for films companies have no faith in, and they were literally informed on a plane on their way to do a press junket in LA (within a week or two before release) by the company's president that there wasn't any extra money at the last second to make up for it and get extra eyes/attention. It's likely this will also affect profit bonuses they could have made

Sweeney Tom on
  • Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular

well there goes my hope for the
    serenity/stay alive

crossover i been furiously writing

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I'm just confused how they could have liked that movie. Like should I be worried about the level of drugs you'd have to take for that?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    The more I heard about it the more I wanted to see it

I don't regret going to go see it one bit.

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    nah I can see it

McConaughey in particular has made a lot of chaff, he probably gets excited about anything that isn't a rom-com

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    There are a lot of baffling decisions in the production of Serenity, not least being the name "Serenity". It sounds like a movie that takes huge swings and justifies its existence but man I cannot imagine green lighting that script.

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I have literally never heard of Aviron before so I wouldn't be too shocked if it was a case of them being a small distributor snagging these huge stars for a movie, assuming their names would sell it alone, realizing how much of a flop it was going to be and don't have enough money to eat a largely pointless expensive advertising campaign even if they already agreed to it

CYpGAPn.png
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Seems like a legitimate complaint from their perspective at least, but I don't think it would have changed much about the end result. Other than the production company spending more money on it.

Preacher wrote: »
    I'm just confused how they could have liked that movie. Like should I be worried about the level of drugs you'd have to take for that?

Even from just reading text analysis of The Twist it's obviously not the type of film either of them are used to being involved in or typecast for, so even just in context of "change of pace/doing something different" I can definitely understand it feeling refreshing

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular

On one hand...I love Batman Beyond. The concept, the setting, Bruce being old, alone and bitter. Pretty great.

That said I have no faith that DC will do it well and that they even understand why people liked Into the Spider-Verse.

I mean Aquaman and Wonder Woman have been great and WB animation has been pretty good overall

But also the source is a website I've never heard of that also had that web page crash from too many sites linking to it as a source so I would be S K E P T I C AL

CYpGAPn.png
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    True.

I mean about the site and DC animated. Though wasn't Killing Joke the last big thing they did and I'm kind of eh about that film.

Dragkonias on
  • Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    i always trust that dc will actually try something different when they say they will

6vjsgrerts6r.png

Ketar wrote: »
    announce a ps4 app already criterion

I'd settle for making it a channel I can subscribe to through Amazon, allowing me to watch it on my tv. I'd prefer it if they managed their own app though so that Amazon wouldn't be taking a cut (unlike the dum dums at Shudder).

Sorry for not responding to this earlier; currently at launch date (April 8 in US/Canada) the Criterion Channel will be available on Amazon Fire, Roku, Apple TV, desktop, and iOS and Android devices

Dragkonias wrote: »
    True.

I mean about the site and DC animated. Though wasn't Killing Joke the last big thing they did and I'm kind of eh about that film.
    The wings of WB Animation that handle big theatrical releases like The Lego Movie and whatnot and the DC home release movies are essentially different studios within WB and if this does actually happen I imagine it would be the former handling it

CYpGAPn.png
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Zendaya is reportedly joining Villeneuve's Dune as Chani

http://collider.com/zendaya-dune-reboot/

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    cursedking wrote: »
    Shorty wrote: »
    I have never seen Fistful of Dollars

I am watching Fistful of Dollars

this movie is extremely cool

A Few Dollars More is better, but yes it is a very good movie.

I think Few Dollars More is actually the best of the three. Like tightest pacing with best ending and villain.
    It's the goldilocks movie of the trilogy.

• KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Ketar wrote: »
    announce a ps4 app already criterion

I'd settle for making it a channel I can subscribe to through Amazon, allowing me to watch it on my tv. I'd prefer it if they managed their own app though so that Amazon wouldn't be taking a cut (unlike the dum dums at Shudder).

Sorry for not responding to this earlier; currently at launch date (April 8 in US/Canada) the Criterion Channel will be available on Amazon Fire, Roku, Apple TV, desktop, and iOS and Android devices

Oh, no, I saw that list. None of those are what I'm looking for though - a PS4 app, an app for Samsung TVs, or availability as a channel to subscribe to through Amazon Video (like Shudder, or CBS All Access, or any of the other zilllion channels available).

I'm not really interested in watching on any of my Android devices. I could watch on my computer, but I'd rather not. Give me any kind of solution that would allow me to watch on my TV using my existing setup, and I'll gladly subscribe.

• hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    Zendaya is reportedly joining Villeneuve's Dune as Chani

http://collider.com/zendaya-dune-reboot/

I am reading (see: listening to) Dune for the first time right now and they keep announcing casting for characters right as I meet them. It's amazing.

It introduced Raban, then they announced Batista. I just met Chani yesterday, and now here we are.

I am so hyped for this movie. As soon as I finish the book I'm gonna rewatch Lynch Dune to compare. It's been 10+ years since I've seen it, at least, so my memory of it is pretty fuzzy.

Deadline is reporting the decision has been finalized to cast a new Batman, replacing Ben Affleck for Matt Reeves' reboot which will be out in 2021.

Makes sense given how WB officially said they are moving away from the DCEU and letting each movie be it's own thing

CYpGAPn.png
    I'm honestly disappointed that Battfleck never really got a shot, but also he kind of sucks as a person so.

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    If they are doing an animated Beyond movie they either need Kevin Conroy to be Bruce, or go crazy and get Michael Keaton.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

I would be perfectly happy if Kevin Conroy never voiced Batman ever again

He has dominated that role for almost 30 years now and is obviously incredible but his performances have been super phoned in for the last few years and if he just fully stepped away there would be a better chance at the various rad Bat-voices we have gotten like Troy Baker and Jeremy Sisto to be more than just one-offs.

CYpGAPn.png
    Dick Miller died :[
    Variety wrote:
    Dick Miller, a prolific screen actor best known for his role as Murray Futterman in the 1984 classic horror film “Gremlins,” has died. He was 90.

With a career spanning more than 60 years, Miller has made hundreds of on screen appearances, beginning in the 1950s with legendary director and producer Roger Corman. It was then that he starred as Walter Paisley in the cult classic “A Bucket of Blood,” before going on to land roles on projects such as “The ‘Burbs,” “Fame” and “The Terminator.”

Miller also appeared in “The Howling” and “Piranha.”

I disagree that Conroy phones Batman in, but agree that it's time for him to retire from the role.

• GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    I've never found Conroy terribly good outside of the context of Batman TAS

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    I think he's really good in the injustice games

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I liked Conroy a lot more when the shift between Bruce Wayne and Batman was a lot more pronounced

like in the first half of TAS when he still had the horrible brown suit

he was still good after that but it was a lot more fun to hear him play Bruce all "gee shucks guys I can't believe I tripped and accidentally disrupted the joker's plans or whatever, I'm such a klutz"

Gustav wrote: »
    I liked him in the DCAU at large and think he has done well in other contexts but I first really noticed it in Arkham City, then Arkham Knight and Justice League Action and so on

He does pretty good in Injustice, but I wouldn't be surprised if that is just because the world of that game diverges so much from every other DC adaptation and it's fun for him to butt heads with Superman and Wonder Woman, as voiced by his long-time co-stars.

CYpGAPn.png
    I would like Karl Urban to be Batman

I wanna say Arkham Asylum was my first reckoning with it. But I also can't parse how much of that is TAS voices coming out of an art style I found so utterly hideous.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    I disagree that Conroy phones Batman in, but agree that it's time for him to retire from the role.

Kevin Conroy is great, but much like Batman, I'm pretty tired of the same ol' hat

The character's barely changed or evolved in thirty years and having one actor do the part for so long is a symptom of that

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Gustav wrote: »
    I liked him in the DCAU at large and think he has done well in other contexts but I first really noticed it in Arkham City, then Arkham Knight and Justice League Action and so on

He does pretty good in Injustice, but I wouldn't be surprised if that is just because the world of that game diverges so much from every other DC adaptation and it's fun for him to butt heads with Superman and Wonder Woman, as voiced by his long-time co-stars.

I think he was only "bad" in the Arkham games because the scripts were atrocious. The Joker is the only character with decent dialogue.

edited January 2019
    Arkham Asylum had uneven voice acting all around

mark hamill was the only one who wasn't noticeably worse than in TAS, for me, and I'd say the reason for this is 50% mediocre script and 50% not having Andrea Romano as voice director

Shorty on
    Remember when Batman says "Harley never was very bright" and it's like she's a clinical psychologist Batman she has to at least have a masters

and then he's like "Gordon is dumb too" and it's like man shut up dick Batman you're the worst type of Batman

Supposedly they are casting for a younger Batman and Urban is the same age as Affleck so sadly probably not

He is only 7 years younger so it is also unlikely

But I would very much like Oscar Isaac as Batman

CYpGAPn.png
    Affleck confirmed he is not reprising the role via a tweet so it looks like this time it is legit and not just scuttlebutt

CYpGAPn.png
    I remember when they had some of those Harley recordings from before she went crazy and was still acting as the Joker's actual psychologist but had her keep up the whole ditzy idiot act, for some reason?

it was real hard to listen to

Blankzilla wrote: »

Supposedly they are casting for a younger Batman and Urban is the same age as Affleck so sadly probably not

He is only 7 years younger so it is also unlikely

But I would very much like Oscar Isaac as Batman

And then the war for hottest batman will have ended

aGPmIBD.jpg
This discussion has been closed.