As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pancakes vs Waffles

• Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    Pancakes
    Crêpes > American pancakes > waffles
    guess I'm gonna have to Google pancakes from around the world now

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    3clipse wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    2019; the year the breakfast war began.

Long ago, the four breakfast nations lived in harmony. But everything changed when the smoothie nation attacked.

Let's explore this some more.

Because I think the Water Nation might be smoothies & such.

While the Fire Nation might be pizza.
    Cold pizza for breakfast is a league of its own.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Pancakes
    KetBra wrote: »
    What sort of shitty iron are you using that doesn't automatically detect whether it is hot enough?

A waffle iron that's literally at least 50 years old and has a fabric-wrapped electrical cord and a wood handle

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    I will sacrifice myself and eat the kind that you don't like.

• Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    Waffles
    Waffles over pancakes, sausage over bacon

I’m weird in that I prefer strawberry syrup to maple, but I’m also weird in that either way, I am drizzling the syrup lightly over the waffle. Can’t stand the syrup-soaked soggy mess that everyone else insists on

• Options
    pookapooka Registered User regular
    both have their times.

(assuming US pancakes) crepes are the superior form, with pannenkoeken a close second (blueberry blintz = chefkiss.) but i also regularly snacked on frozen waffles as a kid, and a dry (crispy) waffle is better and more portable than a dry pancake, without falling prey to sogginess when topped with syrup, fruit, or whipped cream. i am all about texture.

i can't remember the last time i made pancakes or waffles at home (lacking a wafflemaker; hotel wafflemakers get used), but i did go through a phase of making crepes last year; super easy with a squeezebottle. and for awhile, i kept some GF waffles in the freezer for double toasting & pairing with peanut butter.

they've done the science to answer this question (not really)

so, again-- both!

lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Waffles

Long ago, the four breakfast nations lived in harmony. But everything changed when the smoothie nation attacked.

but pizza for breakfast is great, and smoothies are unsatisfying

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Pancakes
    mcp wrote: »
    Crêpes > American pancakes > waffles
    guess I'm gonna have to Google pancakes from around the world now

I don't know if 'American' pancakes actually originated in America, that's just what I've always known them as. English pancakes are more like a crêpe but obviously stodgier and less fancy because England.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Pancakes
    I really want to try some of those fluffy Japanese style souffle pancakes

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Waffles
    I really want to try some of those fluffy Japanese style souffle pancakes

They are wonderful in terms of texture but I find them too sweet, even without syrup

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Only the Avatar, Master of all four flavors, could stop them. But when the world needed him most, he vanished.

• Options
    edited January 2019

friend, you been doing smoothies wrong

i say this as someone who has occasional texture issues, low appetite, and a sensitive gag reflex: Smoothies Are Good
    frozen banana, fresh or frozen spinach/kale**, nut butter, milk of some sort/yogurt is a simple, tasty kick of protein, carbs, fat, & fiber, add in strawberry and other fruits for better flavor, honey or dates if you like some sweetener. gotta balance the frozen ingredients with liquid so it's not chunky with ice or runny, so figure out a good ratio there, math confuses me. if you use greens, blend them first with a bit of liquid to really get them smooth.

that's just baby's first healthy smoothie! it gets more.

**(if you have thyroid issues, research! ..blanch then freeze should work if you need to reduce goitrogens -- not a nutritionist or endocrinologist, just made a lot of smoothies in my day, and it popped as a reason some might avoid raw cruciferous veg)

...i'll stop editing now...

pooka on
    lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Waffles
    Waffles unless the pancakes have chocolate chips, which changes the equation dramatically

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Waffles
    pooka wrote: »

friend, you been doing smoothies wrong

i say this as someone who has occasional texture issues, low appetite, and a sensitive gag reflex: Smoothies Are Good
    banana, spinach/kale, nut butter, milk of some sort/yogurt is a simple, tasty kick of protein & fiber, add in strawberry and other fruits for better flavor, honey or dates if you like some sweetener

that's just baby's first healthy smoothie! it gets more.

Would you use fresh, frozen, or cooked kale, there

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    fresh! or frozen!
    i have edited for clarity!

pooka on
    lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    mageormikemageormike Registered User regular
    I reject your breakfast cakes.

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    A big bowl full of rum and milk with some syrup in there seems like something you'd find in a prison cell

and fucking salad leaves in a smoothie is an unforgivable food crime. Whatever yogi came up with that better be in hell because they ruined this timeline.

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Pancakes
    Waffles are a pancake someone fucked up

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    Waffles
    It's hard to beat a nice, crispy waffle

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    I reject your pointless binaries. I am cultured enough to enjoy both.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    I like pancakes and I like waffles, I prefer french toast to both but I like all 3

I'd pick sausage patties before bacon but bacon before sausage links

I like hash browns (shredded fried potato) way more than home fries (potato chunks)

real maple syrup

orange juice

those are all my breakfast opinions

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Pancakes
    It's hard to spread butter on waffles; too often a chunk will get stuck in one of the holes.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    But how about..
    Cold pikelets with butter?

• Options
    HeadCreepsHeadCreeps NOW IS THE TIME FOR DRINKING! Registered User regular
    Pancakes
    Waffles are ok

I guess

vEaRQgH.png
  • Options
    tomisboredtomisbored Cavalier, NDRegistered User regular
    Waffles
    Waffles for LIFE, crap I made waffles two times in the last 4 days just so I could do Belgian vs. normal!
    Mapple Syurp becuase you asked but all syrups have a time and place.
    Bacon over Sausage patties both over links... links are weird to me. For some reason links remind of me hotdogs.
    Andy Joe wrote: »
    It's hard to spread butter on waffles; too often a chunk will get stuck in one of the holes.
    Thats the point of the holes it holds the butter and the syurp so each bite is perfect.

A magician wandered along the beach, but no one needed him.
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    Waffles
    Crispy waffles are incredible

Thin pancakes with crispy buttery edges are also incredible

mmmyessss

Not into fluffy pancakes. They absorb everything and get soggy.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Waffles
    Andy Joe wrote: »

Exactly!

So you have to add more butter to make it even!

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    I love soggy pancakes as I love soggy cereal

my wife hates soggy pancakes, so she puts syrup in a little bowl and dips each forkful. No sogginess.

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    I could go for a good crumpet

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Pancakes
    I like most sausages that are not made of exotic ingredients like squirrel, but the sage in American breakfast sausages makes them impalatable for me. A few bites in and my breakfast is stopped dead in its tracks. Then I’ll have chorizo for lunch and it’s fine.

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    Waffles
    #pipe wrote: »
    I love soggy pancakes as I love soggy cereal

my wife hates soggy pancakes, so she puts syrup in a little bowl and dips each forkful. No sogginess.

I always have a "syrup pool" for this exact reason. One part of the plate gets syrup, and then I dip the waffle or pancake into the pool.

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Waffles
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »
    I like most sausages that are not made of exotic ingredients like squirrel, but the sage in American breakfast sausages makes them impalatable for me. A few bites in and my breakfast is stopped dead in its tracks. Then I’ll have chorizo for lunch and it’s fine.

Squirrel sausage hmmmm

Now that's not a half bad idea

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Pancakes
    My wife is a celiac so I've been making gluten-free pancakes for years now. It's gotten to the point where I don't even like wheat pancakes anymore.

Biggest bonus is that GF pancakes don't sponge up the syrup so you always have the right amount of syrup in every bite.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    Waffles
    Waffles because they are crunchy and have syrup traps. They are also good with peanut butter(crunchy) and jelly on top. Stating opinions before reading the rest of the thread because it's my right as an American.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Pancakes
    Well, you're wrong and you should be ashamed of yourself. Fite me.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Pancakes are what I make at home because I don't want to go through effort for breakfast, but sometimes I French toast. I will never order a pancake or French toast at a restaurant though, gimme them waffles someone else had to make for me.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Waffles
    French toast seems a lot more involved than waffles

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Waffles
    I've never made what I'd consider high quality French toast.

It usually ends up too soggy to fry properly. And then I have to eat it through shame tears

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    French toast can be incredible, but so easily terrible.