As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hey do y'all like art?

• Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »
    The most moved I've ever been by art was either an installation by Cai Guo Qiang called "Head On"
    i went on a really awkward date to this installation and it is forever coupled in my mind with that memory

the brisbane gallery of modern art is always really good. they just had an exhibition by patricia piccinini which looked like this

00006e6e_medium.jpeg

only grosser

it was good as hell

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    art?

me!?!?

never.

• Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Oh yeah, awkward art dates

I went to a Mapplethorpe exhibition with a lady once

I didn't know that most of the dick pics were on display (I wasn't too familiar with his work at the time, and only saw that his flower series was part of the exhibition)

e: I should add that it went very well :cool:

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Who’s asking? Oh... well follow me to my office (cellar of a shady bar).

*opens trench coat*
    vdzas7umymsi.jpeg
    The Problem We All Live With by Norman Rockwell

pi4cy5npsyac.jpeg
    An Angel at my Table by Miriam Escofet

aimugx5dquox.jpeg
    Verdun by Felix Valotten

qnped6bea4tc.jpeg
    Muslim Woman Reclining by Francesco Renaldi

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Something about that Verdun painting hit me like a fist.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    It’s a damn accurate representation of the feeling of modern warfare, having been painted in 1917 by a French-Swiss gentleman, it’s no surprise.

Each swathe of colour is, I assume, a bomb, a wave of noise, and the speed of death.

Oh and for context: The Battle of Verdun in 1916 was the longest single battle of World War One. The casualties from Verdun and the impact the battle had on the French Army was a primary reason for the British starting the Battle of the Somme in July 1916 in an effort to take German pressure off of the French at Verdun.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    i feel every part of it. i've never been in the military, but i was caught up in a pretty nasty house fire when i was like 3-ish, and boy howdy...

the first thing i thought when i looked at it was "yeah, know that feeling."

edit: god now i'm all bummed about world war 1... dulce et decorum est pro patria mori, eh? shit.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    If it is any consolation he painted this the following year, and the next the year after.

yis3w98pqzl3.jpeg
    r27b51ncedii.jpeg

First he looks out to water (mystery? possibility?) then he does so again with many people and two boats already on their way.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    That Escofet painting is incredible. The color is so...

Words fail me.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    That Escofet painting is incredible. The color is so...

Words fail me.

"That's a really interesting photo, the composition is...."

"Wait a minute. Holy FUCK!"

Dedwrekka on
  • Options
    If it is any consolation he painted this the following year, and the next the year after.

yis3w98pqzl3.jpeg
    r27b51ncedii.jpeg

First he looks out to water (mystery? possibility?) then he does so again with many people and two boats already on their way.

You know what that is?

Growth.

Also this legit made me tear up. Damn you art!

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    music is a kind of art!

I have a playlist of songs to be played at my funeral, this is 3rd on the list

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAriDxTeed8

• Options
    I’m art.

• Options
    Agreed, human beings are each an individual and lovingly crafted piece of artwork, a gift from the universe to itself in the form of an exquisite living machine, a truly insightful statement.

• Options
    NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular
    I'm a fan of 20th century illustration and art including sci fi/fantasy, animation, fashion, and commercial/life style illustration. I'm still waiting on my Ken Dallison book I put in for on Kick Starter two years ago.

Some artists I like include Patrick Jones, Steve Huston, Chris Legaspi, Andrea Bulgarelli, Robert McGinnis, Alex Toth, Frazetta, Bruce Timm, Jose Gonzalez, among others.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    I’m art.

Hi, I like your Bright Eyes

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I went to a sculpture exhibition and seminar last Thursday on the "Geometry of Fear," British sculpture in the 50s

And as an entirely ignorant layman, it was very excellent and informative, and I shall certainly be attending more!

• Options
    edited January 2019
    Psst, hey, kids, you wanna try one of these?
    u3ii25hmbmnt.jpeg
    Wreck by Jordan Griska

uj67p7pih66g.jpeg
    The Force of Nature by Lorenzo Quinn

g1u8gp5apek8.jpeg
    La Mélodie Oubliée by Lou Li Rong

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Because if all goes NOT like shitgarbage here in Shenzhen I'll be in Hong Kong this weekend, and since I was last talking about photography:

Fan Ho was a photographer who took amazing pictures of Hong Kong. (He was also an actor and a film director.)

I'm not at home so I can't pick my absolute favourites from my book of collected photos of his, but here are some.

ZclUyXnl.jpg
    Sun Rays

bE4u4V8.jpg
    White Windows

VncLeIdl.jpg
    As Evening Hurries By

0JbCO9dl.jpg
    Approaching Shadow

CoVAK7hl.jpg
    Recollection of Wan Chai

Seriously I can't even imagine where this could BE in the modern Wan Chai

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    I adore Fan Ho’s work. I see a lot of current black and white street photographers who seem to be imitating his style, consciously or not, and nobody comes close. Part of that is the unique nature of the time and place he did his most famous work, but he also walked a line of high contrast black and white with very delicate exposures. His highlights would go just a little far, but it made everything look so alive, rich and textured.

• Options
    i don't mean to be the resident stoner stereotype and post trippy music videos, but this is hand animated and unbelievably gorgeous! and it has 12m vies so i'm sure some of you at least have seen it, but since we're on to animation now, i thought of this almost instantly.

also the song itself is pretty good, so, hey! art, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhheiPTdZCw

• Options
    On one of my external HDDs along with reference material I have folders of art that I look at to get inspired before I start drawing, or even to do studies from.

Here are a few of the artists:

Mark Schultz: he's done a lot of art of Xenozoic Tales aka Cadillacs and Dinosaurs
    x4pvrtgk0cas.jpg
    tmpsu8cc9wrz.jpg
    g658nzcyd25y.jpg
    fji66zb6hn1q.jpg

Ron Cobb: did a lot of concept work for films, including the Alien franchise and Robot Jox.
    vtu1widbyfql.jpg
    f5puok3oyek4.jpg
    dspb1lxnfzkz.jpg
    5w4srryvyp6d.jpg

Syd Mead: also did a lot of concept work for film, including full paintings. Interestingly did some concept work for a proposed and almost produced Gundam film in the 80's.
    6p7hlmhrtvog.jpg
    9c7y2k1g37y9.jpg
    vcqpaaiq5vt5.jpg
    aikzpjpeetgw.jpg

Shane Glines: he works on a few DC cartoons now but I used to hang around on The Drawing Board bbs on his website when I was a young teenager and there were some other professional artists posting on there regularly at the time too.
    a82ybf6md9im.jpg
    1v02uim93e8y.jpegjakvh8ichml9.jpg

Chris Foss
    k39ceyemwc63.jpg
    r3c7geyowr42.jpg
    nj3zjt0zfa05.jpg

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    bE4u4V8.jpg
    White Windows

Wow.

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    IS THAT GIRL GONNA FUCK A PREDATOR

E: I actually was vaguely aware that that was a whole dynamic, especially in the comics, but dang

E's E: also to be clear I do genuinely love pulp art and concept art, so I'm not throwing shade

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Predator has many good boyfriend qualities!

• Options
    I think she's supposed to be unconscious or otherwise unaware of the presence of the Predator.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    Predator has many good boyfriend qualities!

False.

https://youtu.be/PTAY40Zkh-M

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Cesar Santos is a very skilled and knowledgeable realist who I fell off of recently when he posted a video of himself painting a portrait of Jordan B. Peterson.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Oh fuck

• Options
    Another artist I recently learned about and really like is Tim Gula. He's from the Reilly Method tradition via Fred Fixler and I really like his figure work. He recently did a video on Stan Prokopenko's YouTube channel and talked about the way he engages in the Reilly Method and his general process.

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    my favorite figurative painter!

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    there are a lot of jokes to make right now but I bet all of them were things art history majors have already said

• Options
    mageormikemageormike Registered User regular
    A few of my favorites are:

* James Gurney: http://gurneyjourney.blogspot.com/

* John Singer Sargent: https://www.wikiart.org/en/john-singer-sargent

* Thomas Moran: https://www.thomas-moran.org/

* NC Wyeth: https://www.wikiart.org/en/n-c-wyeth

Gurney's Color and Light book alone taught me how to paint. His attention to detail and world building are super inspiring.

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Gurney's instructional videos are pretty good, too. They're higher-level stuff, but you get to see him paint dinosaurs and ride banana boards and stuff.