As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Expanse] You know a lot about how people die.

• XantomasXantomas Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Oh no, she cut/restyled/grew out her hair. What have you done, Amazon?!?!

What else will be changed? Alex beardless? Amos giving hugs? The horror!

Awwww, I really liked her curly mohawk thing.

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Yeah, personally I think it looked better than this new look. Probably more of a pain in the ass, though.

• see317see317 Registered User regular

I bet Amos gives the best hugs.
    Except the ones that end in a suddenly snapped neck. Those aren't as good.

• Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

I bet Amos gives the best hugs.
    Except the ones that end in a suddenly snapped neck. Those aren't as good.
    I would hug Amos. I think he needs one. But only while wearing a powered exoskeleton and some kind of neck brace. :P

|Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • LindLind Registered User regular
  • grumblethorngrumblethorn Registered User regular
    it's been on prime for the states for months.

Was hoping it was a season 4 date, bah.

• SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Was hoping it was a season 4 date, bah.

Didn’t their filming schedule extend into March?

5gsowHm.png
    Not finding anything about that with a quick search. They were getting the final episodes of the season started before the Christmas break and unsourced wiki says they'll end in February.

• SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    I finally made my wife sign me into Amazon Prime on our smart TV using her account. For no other reason than that the Expanse was coming.

(Bonus, I finally get to watch The Grand Tour!)

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    The wrap party passes feature some art from the new season. Book 4 spoils.
    GN930oHl.jpg

Looks like she might have finally ditched that grey paint job? Looks fairly black now, with red highlights? The other angle appears to show the Beratnas Gas logo tho, so I'm not 100% sure.

Landing on the drive cone still. And the Railgun must be internal...

Also, lil glimpse of the alien tower on the right there?

Oh brilliant
  • Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    I hope the TV version of book 4 is better than the book version.

Good thing book 5 made up for it.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Man, I liked book 4. It kind of reminded me of book 4 of Dark Tower. A nice, well-told diversion.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    I really liked book 4 as well. It also serves a purpose for the series as a whole in several ways. Giant spoilers for all the books below.
    First of all it finishes up the Miller storyline, giving the remnants of a broken man closure. The thing that imitates Miller both is miller and isn't, and the interludes with the investigator gives us some insight in what actually happened to the gatebuilders without being pure exposition. The way all their technology still works, but ever so slowly breaking down. All it needs is a controlling intelligence and it does whatever is needed. This is setup for how laconia shows up out of nowhere with technology hundreds of years ahead of what anyone else has.

It also shows the semicolonial relationship between earth system and the new colonies. Pioneers being in conflict with companies is a natural consequence of the gates simply slamming open and the biggest authorities in the system desperately trying to keep power. This is not the only story of conflict on the new planets, just one of them. We just get to see it while seeing part of what happens to the Rocis crew in the years between the gates opening and stuff breaking down due to internal conflicts.

And finally I really enjoyed reading a smaller more contained story in the expanse universe, where the stakes are "just" keeping your friends and the people around you alive rather than conspiracies and plots. It being great world building and laying the groundwork for future developments is just a cherry on top.

Book 4 just proved my whole problem with the entire wormhole situation (book 4+ spoilers, but nothing major):
    These are NOT new Earth. They have death slugs and shit. You'd need to be at death's door to want to go to these places or the government trying to seize them taking a lot more precautions. Or just as stupid lack of them, but all these civilians are idiots. I wanted the planet to kill the lot of them right off.

• RichyRichy Registered User regular
    I liked book 4 as well. To be honest, I don't quite get why it gets so much hate. The sense of wonder studying a new world, the colonialism, the raw hatred some of the caracters show for each other, if all felt real. These are New Earth, not in climate or environment, but in the humanity of it.

sig.gif
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Book 4 just proved my whole problem with the entire wormhole situation (book 4+ spoilers, but nothing major):
    These are NOT new Earth. They have death slugs and shit. You'd need to be at death's door to want to go to these places or the government trying to seize them taking a lot more precautions. Or just as stupid lack of them, but all these civilians are idiots. I wanted the planet to kill the lot of them right off.

Counterpoint: We settled Australia.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • kaidkaid Registered User regular

Counterpoint: We settled Australia.

A lot of the issues with that planet are the same with any alien world you don't know what you don't know. Stuff you know to watch for on earth has little bearing on an alien world like that. Disease is not really likely to be an issue but random poisons/toxic/allergic interactions are very possible. Now that they know about the issues on the planet its a lot easier to build/work around. But any colony of another planet is going to likely have a high mortality rate for a while as people learn what's dangerous the hard way.

• Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular

For several months out of every year in my childhood if I went outside I risked death by exposure without the assistance of technology. We live in dangerous environments all the time.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Right about now I'm wondering why my ancestors chose to settle in Minnesota and Wisconsin. -31°? -50° windchill? Imagine if all you had for shelter was a log cabin with a fire. It would seem like madness!

Humans are into some frontier shit, I tell you.

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I'm constantly amazed that there were people who didn't keep walking south after crossing the land bridge at the bering strait.

steam_sig.png
  • VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Right about now I'm wondering why my ancestors chose to settle in Minnesota and Wisconsin. -31°? -50° windchill? Imagine if all you had for shelter was a log cabin with a fire. It would seem like madness!

Because there are hills and/or they hit the Dakotas and said "Fuck that."

Big Dookie wrote: »
    Man, I liked book 4. It kind of reminded me of book 4 of Dark Tower. A nice, well-told diversion.

My dislike of book 4 is almost entirely rooted in the primary antagonist. They were practically twirling their mustache and tying colonists to train tracks. I hope he gets the same treatment the series gave Ashford. TV Ashford was so much better than the book version.

5gsowHm.png
  • CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »

Because there are hills and/or they hit the Dakotas and said "Fuck that."

Because the people of the previous civilizations that already knew how to live there took a big hit?

Huh, what do you know, Book 4 is just good at putting a good space sci fi spin on our own past.

steam_sig.png
  • SelnerSelner Registered User regular
    Syngyne wrote: »

My dislike of book 4 is almost entirely rooted in the primary antagonist. They were practically twirling their mustache and tying colonists to train tracks. I hope he gets the same treatment the series gave Ashford. TV Ashford was so much better than the book version.

Mine as well. The main bad guy was just irrationally bad and evil.

Good point on Ashford though, as he fell into the same type of category. His motivations didn't really make sense. So hopefully they will explore the bad guy a little more.

• Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular

He was still way better than the antagonist for the next 2 books.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited February 2019

This. I couldn’t put my finger on what I disliked about book 4, but this is it. When faced with such a massive threat, an individual keeping in the same path because rules can be quite immersion-breaking.

Edit: In short, the antagonist in book 4 was an idiot who seemed like he didn’t care about getting himself killed as long as the colonists were fucked as well.

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    My main complaint about Book Four (and the next two) was that they built up some solid motivation for the antagonists, but then
    have them be so god awful in their actions that I immediately go 'fuck those guys'. Like in Book Five, every concern I had about the condition of the belters went straight out the window. Writing about terrorism is a touchy job, but you should be able to do a bit better than
    dropping a pile of asteroids on Earth and killing billions of people. I mean, I don't care how downtrodden you are and how charismatic your leader is, that's just not something I can wrap my head around and keep even the smallest amount of sympathy for the characters.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
    I don’t think that you were supposed to have any sympathy for the two primary antagonists in book 5. The way they were written, particularly with their relationship to Naomi, made them pretty obviously fanatical terrorists with few to no redeeming qualities.

The hangers-on were somewhat sympathetic, but the two main baddies weren’t.

daveNYC wrote: »
    My main complaint about Book Four (and the next two) was that they built up some solid motivation for the antagonists, but then
    have them be so god awful in their actions that I immediately go 'fuck those guys'. Like in Book Five, every concern I had about the condition of the belters went straight out the window. Writing about terrorism is a touchy job, but you should be able to do a bit better than
    dropping a pile of asteroids on Earth and killing billions of people. I mean, I don't care how downtrodden you are and how charismatic your leader is, that's just not something I can wrap my head around and keep even the smallest amount of sympathy for the characters.

I'm pretty sure your reaction is the point the authors are trying to underline.
    Pre Book 5 you feel sympathy for the downtrodden and exploited Belters. You agree that things should change for them for the better. Then post Book 5 you're all "Fuck the Belters" and I think most people completely understand this. The crime was enormous and galling in the temerity and just vile short sightedness of it. They should certainly bare some of that suffering and pain. Of course, 99.9% of Belters had absolutely nothing to do with that plot, but you've just damned them to pain and suffering and non-personhood because a very small group of people you choose to group with them did horrible things.

So that previous paragraph can be slightly rewritten to address a fuck ton of conflicts through out history. The stupid easy one is swap "muslim" for "belter". It isn't that hard to go back to WW1 either. We, as a society, still have no fucking clue how to react to those situations.

• RichyRichy Registered User regular

This. I couldn’t put my finger on what I disliked about book 4, but this is it. When faced with such a massive threat, an individual keeping in the same path because rules can be quite immersion-breaking.

Edit: In short, the antagonist in book 4 was an idiot who seemed like he didn’t care about getting himself killed as long as the colonists were fucked as well.

But people like that do exist. People who refuse to help themselves because it will help people they hate in the process. People who will gleefully hurt people they hate even though it's hurting them at the same time. Hell, the entire response to climate change on the right is "fuck liberals and their environment", even coming from people on the right who live in flood zones and forest-fire areas and drought areas and melting areas.

sig.gif
    I don't really have a response to that except to say that I read for enjoyment, not to be reminded that people are basically shitty and self-serving. Basically what I'm saying is that you're right as usual, but I don't have to like it.

Maybe book 4 would have been better if Amos had put a bullet through Murty's head halfway through the book so that they could focus on stopping the planet from killing everyone.

Maybe book 4 would have been better if Amos had put a bullet through Murty's head halfway through the book so that they could focus on stopping the planet from killing everyone.

It would have definitely been way more cathartic, that's for sure.

• kaidkaid Registered User regular
    It actually makes some twisted sense. Belters are kind of a dead end in a lot of ways. They physically can't survive a normal planetary environment the gravity would eventually kill them. So when the gates were discovered people realized the role the belt filled could be way more easily managed via these other planets that meant the belters were going to go extinct. People react badly when facing extinction for themselves and their kids. Their response was FU if we can't live on a planet then neither can you! Blasting the earth in effect would have made more belters over time if they had succeeded because a lot of those on the planet would need some place to go and mars could not hold enough to matter. It also broke the power bases of the planets in the solar system that were in effect quickly looking to render them and their kids extinct.

• LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    kaid wrote: »
    It actually makes some twisted sense. Belters are kind of a dead end in a lot of ways. They physically can't survive a normal planetary environment the gravity would eventually kill them. So when the gates were discovered people realized the role the belt filled could be way more easily managed via these other planets that meant the belters were going to go extinct. People react badly when facing extinction for themselves and their kids. Their response was FU if we can't live on a planet then neither can you! Blasting the earth in effect would have made more belters over time if they had succeeded because a lot of those on the planet would need some place to go and mars could not hold enough to matter. It also broke the power bases of the planets in the solar system that were in effect quickly looking to render them and their kids extinct.
    First thing that came to mind

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQj2zqqSIks

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
    Murtry has been cast, and it's not who I pictured!
    https://mobile.twitter.com/ExpanseOnPrime/status/1093509686597308416

I was thinking of a Clancy Brown type of guy, but this probably fits even better for the jobsworth, banality of evil type character that he is...

Oh brilliant
  • SelnerSelner Registered User regular
    Murtry has been cast, and it's not who I pictured!
    https://mobile.twitter.com/ExpanseOnPrime/status/1093509686597308416

I was thinking of a Clancy Brown type of guy, but this probably fits even better for the jobsworth, banality of evil type character that he is...

I only know Gorman from GoT, but he's been in a bunch of stuff I haven't seen. And I actually had to check him out on Youtube to remember who he was on GoT.

I always pictured a more grizzled actor for Murtry, but I'm not sure if that's even how he was described in the book.

As discussed here, I'm hoping they change Murtry's characterization a little bit in the show, so this seems fine to me.

I pictured Murtry as more of a good ol’ boy. It’ll be interesting to see how this goes.

5gsowHm.png
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    He's got some range, comparing Pacific Rim to like.... Torchwood.

Oh hey, Dr Okoye got announced today too!

Lyndie Greenwood, from Sleepy Hollow and Nikita? I've not seen either of those things!

Oh brilliant
This discussion has been closed.