As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Wargroove] The Advance Wars game we've waited 10 years for!

MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice ActorKirkland, WARegistered User regular
header.jpg?t=1549026718

Welcome to the Wargroove thread! Here we will discuss the game, strategies, answer questions, give help, and share our own map/campaign codes. So let's get started!

What is Wargroove?
Wargroove is a spiritual successor to the hit Nintendo franchise, Advance Wars. Well, it's like if AW was still being made today. Lots of new options, Commanders, and other fun mechanics and gameplay changes. At it's heart, you control and create troops to do battle in a multitude of game modes.

Game modes you say?
That's right! The game features a full campaign, online multiplayer, and co-op play. You can also create your own maps and campaigns with fully customized rules!

Wait, my own campaign?!
That's right! Show off your game design and story writing skills by making your own maps and story. The editor is very robust, in fact it's the exact same one's the designers used for the main campaign. We'll be using this thread to share our codes with each other. It should be noted that Nintendo Switch owners do not need the paid online service to share/input codes, although they will need the service to do the multiplayer or co-op stuff.

BUT EVEN BETTER! The game features cross-platform play, so you can battle it out on the Switch, PC, or Xbox One. Unfortunately, Sony still doesn't want to play with others, so PS4 owners won't get to play in the same playground as Switch, PC, XB1 owners.

Yeah, yeah, but what's it look like?!
Glorious pixel art designs merged with modern sensibilities. In fact, just see for yourself....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CacV3hrVA9E

FAQ
Reserved for future questions

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
Steam ID
Twitch Page

• WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    My mind is being pulled between too many different games right now to really focus on any one, but Wargroove is pretty nice.

Although, I think I actually kinda liked Advance Wars cartoon military better than I do Wargroove's generic fantasy. Maybe it'll grow on me.

• Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Caesar is the GOAT commander counting all Advance Wars games.

Pssst: don't forget to hold B to make turns go faster. You can also disable combat animations altogether or set it to only show during your turn.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    Thank you, Dover, for making the thread.

Gonna get this on Steam.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Oh shit, this is today!

• WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    No Battlepups must fall. This is my personal standard for a successful mission.

• Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    WACriminal wrote: »

I love how they run away instead of dying, and if you look closely you can see them sprint back across the area they attacked from.

Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular

Battle pups best pups

JtgVX0H.png
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    This seems excellent so far, having only done a few missions.

Although, I think I actually kinda liked Advance Wars cartoon military better than I do Wargroove's generic fantasy. Maybe it'll grow on me.

Agreed, though this is really well done stylistically and in terms of animation.

• cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Wait, I think I remember AW had a menu system where you'd move the unit, then have to confirm the move before it counted, or else the move would be cancelled.

Does WarGroove have that? I remember that feeling really important somehow to strategizing.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    The AI doesn’t mess around

They did a good job

• finalflight89finalflight89 Registered User regular
    Same thing in Wargroove. But I haven't gotten to the fog of war missions yet. I find the attack and movement previews a little confusing. Hashed lines are where you can move, outlined squares are where you can attack, and dark hashed lines are where you can move but not attack (due to terrain or something in your way).

The only small thing that they should change is to move the End Turn button from the top of the menu to the bottom. I've already accidentally lost a turn by clicking too fast on an empty tile.

• taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    One thing that kinda sucks about the switch version, I'm pretty sure the steam version has things to notify you when it's your turn even when you don't have the game open via steam, the switch version doesn't even notify you when it's your turn in multiplayer if you have the game open :/ makes asynchronous a bit of a pain

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Just finished the tutorial, pretty cool. Enjoying everything but Ragna looks fucking weird to me and I’m meh about the cherry queen. Everyone else looks pretty cool , archers in particular have cool animations.

EspantaPajaro on
  • redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    I am terrible at these games, but sticking with it. I am on like the first or second plant people mission and on my 3rd or so playthrough of that mission.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    If you take 6 guys in to save a bunch of folks, and walk out with 2 guys total, did you still do the morally right thing? Are you still a good boy?

Asking for a friend.

If you take 6 guys in to save a bunch of folks, and walk out with 2 guys total, did you still do the morally right thing? Are you still a good boy?

Asking for a friend.

LMAO I was thinking the same thing after that mission...

• redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    If you have seen any good tutorials for map/campaign editors, definitely post in here. I haven't browsed online yet, but I'd love to mess around with it and know what I'm doing.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    This youtube channel has 2 old videos of the devs demonstrating the tools.

Map editor.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LPdRmx0ZLc

Cutscene editor.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDgyw3u829g

This is a recent one but it's just a short overview.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WT76lJvLSo

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    redfield85 wrote: »
    If you have seen any good tutorials for map/campaign editors, definitely post in here. I haven't browsed online yet, but I'd love to mess around with it and know what I'm doing.

I've managed to make my own rudimentary map with some basic cut-scenes and dialogues, so I might be able to answer some, but probably not all, questions you may have. Although I did have a lot of help from that Beginner's Guide up there.
    5PEA6279

WotanAnubis on
  • KriegaffeKriegaffe Registered User regular
    I'm enjoying it so far. But some of the reviews say it gets balls-hard past the 50% mark in the campaign. Like, 45 minute missions where one mistake means failure.. I hope that's not the case.

Most reviewers are really bad at games you should be fine , that said in game like these not knowing what your plan is from the get go will make harder missions a fucking slog. So take a few minutes every map identifying the problem and then establish how you want to solve it before you deploy. Just doing things is often a poor strategy , I’m looking at you crystal panic awds.

• PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Is this a good single player game?
    A good story will be nice too
    I am really digging the aesthetics so far

Peas on
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I saw murmurs of MP coop, is that a player created content thing or is there some in the game? I'm nervous about this genre in general, I love the concept but they can be hard for me to sink my teeth into. Async MP Coop with a friend or two would go a long way.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
    edited February 2019
    Yeah there's MP co-op, both local and online. You don't need a custom map, although there are already some good ones based around co-op available.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod

I love how they run away instead of dying, and if you look closely you can see them sprint back across the area they attacked from.
    Caesar (the Commander that is literally a dog) also doesn’t fight. Whenever he’s in combat, two personal guards pet him and fight on his behalf.

YL9WnCY.png
    Sterica wrote: »

Caesar (the Commander that is literally a dog) also doesn’t fight. Whenever he’s in combat, two personal guards pet him and fight on his behalf.

And while they fight he just does dog things like roll on his back or chase his tail. So far the most useful Co power has been defense crystal since it gives you a whopping 10 turns of an aoe defense boost. Very useful for advanced positions and chokepoints.

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Most reviewers are really bad at games you should be fine , that said in game like these not knowing what your plan is from the get go will make harder missions a fucking slog. So take a few minutes every map identifying the problem and then establish how you want to solve it before you deploy. Just doing things is often a poor strategy , I’m looking at you crystal panic awds.

I'm really shitty at these games since I do exactly what you're saying not to do (just go in and do shit and figure it out as I go). It's still pretty fun though!

JtgVX0H.png
    Darmak wrote: »

I'm really shitty at these games since I do exactly what you're saying not to do (just go in and do shit and figure it out as I go). It's still pretty fun though!

So do I as soon as plan a, b and c eventually disintegrate ... turn 3 . But yeah by all means do whatever is fun for you , the only time it matters is when you are trying to s rank something. Fucking s ranking awds was insanely hard for me.

Default ai seems pretty dumb, like engaging in suicidal fights.

I always win via CO defeat.

YL9WnCY.png
    Yeah I just won a 2v2 match because the enemy commander just peaced out to his allies base and left his HQ open to be captured.

Here's another thing that's kind of weird, when playing vs CPU's in local co-op (basically skirmish mode) with fog of war on the game will also conceal your own allies movements from you.

Resident 8bitdo expert.

Ughh in campaign the enemy CO always runs away for me , end up having to take their hq. Speaking of just unlocked Ragna. Her sprite work is awesome and evil captain america is cool but man her portrait is dumb. Also didnt even get to use her co power level was over before it charged.

edited February 2019
    The campaign seems to take kiddy gloves off (for me at least) on a act 3 side mission 1. I've 3 starred everything first try with no issues up until this point and I've lost this one like 5 attempts in a row now :bigfrown: I think part of my issue is Caesar despite being a very good boy seems to be by far the worst commander

taliosfalcon on
    The campaign seems to take kiddy gloves off (for me at least) on a act 3 side mission 1. I've 3 starred everything first try with no issues up until this point and I've lost this one like 5 attempts in a row now :bigfrown: I think part of my issue is Caesar despite being a very good boy seems to be by far the worst commander

Was actually coming here to talk about it. I just finished it right now , after the second attempt. Reinforcements stop coming after turn 15 ish . Also I just realized Caesars special is eagles from advance wars he gives all surrounding units an extra turn , I realized this at the end of the game when I was about to win , never used it before . I feel stupid.

So what worked for me was:
    A) Economy , grab every building you can , you can capture everything before ever fighting if you use Caesar and alchemists wisely.
    b) You will need alchemists for anti air but make sure you grab one or two trebuchets when you can , parking them behind walls and taking pot shots at units help immensely .
    c) Caesar is going to have to fight alone for long stretches of time but make sure he is always in range of resupply or has an avenue he can run away to a healer.

Other then that I lost a LOT of units and still got S rank so dont worry about that. Its just a real real long level.

edited February 2019
    Yeah, I don't know if number of units lost is a huge factor in S-ranking that mission. I lost a lot, and still got S-rank the first time.

Pretty much what EspantaPajaro says.
    1. Trebuchets are important in this one. If you place them correctly, you can prevent the enemy from ever even approaching your walls in some places, like the lower right corner. The AI is just smart enough to avoid trebuchet range, but not smart enough to realize that if it rushes you with enough troops at once, it can overrun the trebuchet. So it just clumps up a bunch of troops 6 squares outside your wall and waits for you to kill them at your convenience.

2. Another quirk of the AI is its tendency to focus on taking villages, even on maps where it has no barracks. This makes a certain sort of sense, because it's depriving you of gold and funding its alchemists. But Caesar and a swordsman held the entire south flank by themselves for a while simply by keeping that south-central village captured, so that the enemy would waste its pikemen tearing it down again. Use a low-health swordsman to capture a village, the AI will use a full-strength pikeman to recapture it. The action economy on an exchange like that is bananas.

3. Don't forget that Caesar can capture villages. He's a Commander unit, not a Dog unit.

4. Alchemists simply delete harpies in most match-ups, even if you can't arrange superior defense, critical hits, etc. I didn't build a ballista until the last act of the mission, and then only because I fucked up and left one of my key alchemists to die to a giant, so I needed more anti-air coverage.

5. In general, don't kill things that are already at low health until absolutely necessary. A 10% battledog nipping at your trebuchet does minimal damage, while blocking the square that a harpy could be using to destroy that same trebuchet. Clog the enemy's paths with their own wounded.

EDIT: But yes, this mission was fucking intense.

WACriminal on

Ughh in campaign the enemy CO always runs away for me , end up having to take their hq. Speaking of just unlocked Ragna. Her sprite work is awesome and evil captain america is cool but man her portrait is dumb. Also didnt even get to use her co power level was over before it charged.
    COs have different charge speeds. Ragna’s is slow because it’s basically a bunch of free attacks that aren’t reduced by whatever damage she’s taken, and without any counterattacks. It’s great to break a stalemate since it softens up the enemy lines a LOT.

YL9WnCY.png
    You can make custom maps super large in the editor... rediculously large. I have a feeling that we're going to get some crazy maps out of this.

Resident 8bitdo expert.
    edited February 2019
    Speaking of side missions, I tried something that felt a little unorthodox on Act 3, Side 2 (Ragna), and it worked WAY better than I expected it to.
    This is the one where you're Ragna vs. Caesar. Caesar starts with all the advantages -- more and better troops, more villages pre-captured and within easy reach, access to giants, etc. My first inclination was that I needed to start churning out alchemists ASAP to balance the numbers, but I decided to try something fun first -- turn 1, built a wagon and put my commander in it.

I ran the wagon down the right side of the map, skipping all the villages, and grabbed the southeastern barracks. Meanwhile my archers slowly picked up the neutral villages on my northern peninsula. I didn't build any more units up north, just swooped the two starting archers through villages and towards the bridge, positioning them so that they could pincushion anything that tried to cross it.

Once I had the southeastern barracks, I started pumping out alchemists down there and capturing more villages, then trebuchets whenever I could afford them, and my god did that strat steamroll Caesar's AI. Got the S-rank, and after the first ~3 turns never felt like I lost the upper hand.

WACriminal on
  • WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    I am so much worse at this than I used to be at Advance Wars.

It cant be that its been 10 years...
    no...

edited February 2019
    Aaaaand the game already has a bunch of merch available for pre-order on yetee.com:

https://theyetee.com/collections/wargroove

I'm not gonna lie I'm probably gonna get that Caesar pin.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    I was sold until I saw them --- they would be so much better without the pixel outline