As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Ace Combat Thread (NSF56k)

• DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    I'm torn on the Season Pass. Don't really need the music player because Youtube exists, dunno if I'd want the 3 planes, and the 3 missions interests me but again I'd like to find out more first

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    It's probably not worth it, but I threw money at it because praise the lord that Assault Horizon didn't succeed in killing the franchise. Please take my money and make more strangereal games.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    PC Preloading is up!

wWuzwvJ.png
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    PC Preloading is up!

tuazmo811a3o.png

It's happening!

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Hatred of borders intensifies.

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Did PC pre-orders get a bundled game bonus?

I'm thinking...no?

edited January 2019
    Yes. It's a couple of plane skins and emblems (Edit : the emblems are deluxe edition) . Yellow Squadron colors for the su-37. I think maybe Razgriz and pixy skins for the F-14 and F-15, but don't quote me on those last two. I stopped reading at Yellow Squadron.

Edit :
    I just looked it up. Yes for the Razgriz and pixy skins. Also you get a free F-4 for what it's worth.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
    Ace Combat 7 exists on my computer now.

Hnnnnnnnggggggggggggggggggg just a couple more daaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyysssssssssss

wWuzwvJ.png
    @Synthesis PC version got Assault Horizon

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »

So, my original statement could be considered true, in a manner of speaking. :twisted:

• Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Still waiting on my key from cdkeys.com :\ Supposed to go out on Friday. Dunno if we get the preorder bonus, either. On the other hand, it was only $48. God I'm so hype to play it <3

Stabbity_Style.png
    Synthesis wrote: »
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »

So, my original statement could be considered true, in a manner of speaking. :twisted:

Check out Ben FUCKIN' Kenobi over here :P

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    AC is coming out today on Steam!

I'm gonna shoot weeb tyrant planes in their friendship-pipe!

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    edited January 2019
    Cantido wrote: »
    AC is coming out today on Steam!

I'm gonna shoot weeb tyrant planes in their friendship-pipe!

Wait what, I thought it came out on February 1st?

*looks*
    mfwsakq26z6a.png
    AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    2ff363dfuh4o.png
    steam decrypt times are so fucking weird. a second ago this said 20 minutes.

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
    edited January 2019
    Mine has been at 9 minutes for a few minutes now, lol. I'm just glad I recently updated my game drive to an SSD to help this go faster.

EDIT: Just a little further to go o_o

EDIT 2: I'm in!. There's a flight stick screen but it's only for the T Flight HOTAS One stick which is pretty disappointing.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    So, I already bought the game on my PS4 (figured I can live with AC6 on Xbone...I don't have an AC game on a Sony console at all)...but I'm thinking of throwing some cash at the PC version to add one more voice to the console port support pile.

Sure, I'll miss out on playing on a pretty sweet 55" TV...but a 27" screen a couple feet from my face might be good enough.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
    edited February 2019
    There's no support for ultrawide monitors either so if anyone else has one of those you'll be stuck with the black bars on the sides. The draw distance on some ground detail is short enough that there's a pretty blatant bubble around your plane when you're low to the ground that determines when they just pop in too so that can be a little distracting when cruising around.

That said, the game is still pretty damn gorgeous and rock solid stable on PC.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
    edited February 2019
    Just beat mission 4 and hell yes, AC7 does not disappoint!

Minor spoiler free stuff:

Damn this game looks great, granted my last AC was 5, so jumping to next gen is a real treat.
    One of my biggest fears was thankfully wrong, friendly planes can and will shoot down enemies on the battlefield just like prior games. I haven't tested what targets are flagged, but even if the player does most of the work, it's still cool to see your friends fighting and doing what they can. Especially when you all fire into a massive drone swarm.
    First death was into the ground, heh heh, clouds are going to take a bit of practice. They are fun though, and do what they're meant to do by giving the player some "terrain" to use tactics, as well as up the challenge.
    Only 4 missions in and already things are pretty intense! The combat is certainly a hotter burn than 5, and the missions don't feel short by any stretch. That's great early on.
    Storywise it's quite good, no dancing with the angels levels of cringe. It's more Strangereal and its cool having some new characters with very different views on past events in the series.
    No surprise, the music in this game is incredible.
    The replay feature is hugely upgraded with time skip, and full music and radio if you want it.

I'm torn between wanting to rush through and take my time and enjoy everything.

manwiththemachinegun on
    I'm on mission 12 after about 7 hours of play and having a total fucking blast so far. This is a great return to form for the series and I'm absolutely gonna have fun replaying it on hard and working to unlock all the planes because I'm assuming I won't be able to get them all in one playthrough. Naturally I'm aiming right for the F-15s first because I'm a person of class and excellent taste.

wWuzwvJ.png
    Been holding off on the campaign for now in case we get the flight stick patch sooner than later and instead playing a bunch of multi.

It's fun, but if you're the lowest ranked person on a team you will get hunted relentlessly.

I do like that there are point restrictions available on matches, I've mostly been sticking with the 2k limit while I unlock more planes. The F-2A and Mirage have been serving me well.

That intro.

If this wasn't an anime, Avril would be deader than dead :D

• LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    That intro.

If this wasn't an anime, Avril would be deader than dead :D

What are you talking about? You mean it's a bad idea to fly a plane that can't even turn?

I'm curious about how she expected to land the damn thing before she got shot at.

I won't be able to play the game until Monday :(

3DS Friend Code:
    edited February 2019
    Mihaly is a piece of shit and I can't wait to full Cipher that son of a bitch. Mission 3 spoilers.
    He not only picks off a young rookie while she's panicking and trying to retreat. He also doesn't fire when he has a lock. Toying with her to see if that's "all she has".

Not even full Genocide Cipher was that bad.

The game also does a really good job, more than you'd expect, of explaining why a super power like Osea is having a hard time with a regional, formerly defeated power like Eursea.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019

Guess who bought a Thrustmaster HOTAS X for this game!

Very tempted to refund. Unbelievably angry that after months of waiting, buying a joystick, and taking leave, the port is so goddamn lazy they won't accept standard USB inputs for joystick. In a fucking flight game.

Honestly the thing that gets me even more is the lack of communication. Not a single word about this before release. Even now, there's just one vaguely-worded tweet from the compnay themselves. Why the fuck's this up to a third-party company to confirm?

Suriko on
    What do the color symbols next to my planes mean? Some are blue and some are red I can't tell what is being recommended to me, if anything.

• IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    Blue are fighters, purple are multiroles, and red are attackers.

edited February 2019
    Facebook statement from Thrustmaster
    In regards to all your questions about the Thrustmaster flight sticks and their compatibility with Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown, we confirm that the only joysticks that are currently “plug and play” compatible with the PC version of the game are the T.Flight Hotas 4 and T.Flight Hotas One series, working with integrated presets. Our other joysticks such as the HOTAS Warthog or the T.16000M FCS series have not been integrated to Ace Combat 7. The game developers’ decided to have a closed game, therefore these are the few joysticks that have been integrated with Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown at this time.

We understand that this can be disappointing to those of you with other Thrustmaster joysticks and will make sure to let the Dev teams know. We’ll keep you updated if changes occur.

Sincerely,
    The Thrustmaster Team

That this wasn't told to customers by Bandai before release is inexcusable. Edit: Even after release, this is coming from Thrustmaster rather than the devs themselves. What a joke.

Suriko on
    Yeah, it's some real bullshit, particularly since they released their own flightstick to come out alongside it.

It's a great game but an incredibly poor and lazy port.

• Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Aw yiss, I am da champion. Scored more points than everyone else put together :3

AVQbqkT.jpg?1

I've been having fun with the Team Deathmatch multiplayer. It's very hectic and most of the time you're just spinning around and not actually able to do anything productive but when you score a hit it feels fucking GOOD.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Aw yiss, I am da champion. Scored more points than everyone else put together :3

AVQbqkT.jpg?1

I've been having fun with the Team Deathmatch multiplayer. It's very hectic and most of the time you're just spinning around and not actually able to do anything productive but when you score a hit it feels fucking GOOD.

I've been having troubles trying to play multiplayer :(

First match I finished (2v2, lost), it was CTD as soon as it was done. Second match disconnected me in the middle of it, same for the third one. Thing is, I don't get any rewards in either case, so it's frustrating.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
    Drovek wrote: »

AVQbqkT.jpg?1

First match I finished (2v2, lost), it was CTD as soon as it was done. Second match disconnected me in the middle of it, same for the third one. Thing is, I don't get any rewards in either case, so it's frustrating.

Dang, that's a bummer. I haven't run into any issues personally, so far. I wonder how widespread it is.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    What I especially don't get it, why the hell did the PC port have a 2 week delay of nothing PC centric was added to it.

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
    edited February 2019
    Up to mission 10, I would agree with the statement that it's the most difficult Ace Combat yet, but its the good kind of difficulty. I've only lost or died a few times, but nearly every time I've won it was a heart pounding race against the enemy. You have to do your best against swarms of enemies, and usually an interesting curve ball is thrown in every mission. Some times two or three!

I'm personally rating the Soundtrack so far as better than 5, and 6, tied with Assault Horizon, and just shy of 4 and Zero. No complaints. And there's still some meat to this story too, I'm surprised by the length of the cutscenes and focus on characters in a good way.

manwiththemachinegun on
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    What I especially don't get it, why the hell did the PC port have a 2 week delay of nothing PC centric was added to it.

Even better, it seems they outright lied before release.
    In our gameplay footage, settings are on max, with options for Anti-Aliasing, Bloom, Effects, Motion Blur, Post-Processing, Screen Space Reflections, and Shadows all cranked up. Additionally, there's a built-in option for Resolution Scaling, enabling you to play at 4K quality on a 1920x1080 monitor; the option to uncap the framerate; and plenty of settings for Flight Systems, controllers, flight sticks, keyboard and mouse control, and key remapping. In other words, Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown has everything you need to tailor the experience to your liking.

Thanks, guys. I'll be sure to send the bill for the stick I bought.

edited February 2019
    Game completed on Normal! That was a damn fun ride (that took me 15 hours according to Steam, though that does include me leaving the game open for a bit while I shoveled pelmeni into my face today) complete with all the AC gameplay tropes we know and love. I'm gonna be looking forward to doing an S Rank hard mode run through the campaign while also unlocking everything else I'm missing from the SP side of things.

Story wise,
    the back half of the game felt kinda weak with stuff happening just because reasons and I never really connected with any of the characters like I did in prior AC games. AC7 definitely could have used a few more missions to flesh some plot points out and give us more time with the characters. I think part of the problem is that Trigger gets bounced around so much so you don't end up as part of a legendary squadron with wingmen you learn about and get attached to. I was kinda hoping the prisoner squadron thing would have resulted in a more colorful cast of characters but the more entertaining ones ended up as a rotating cast of canon fodder which was a little disappointing.

I am super curious where the hell they're gonna go with the story from here though. The Pilgrim One plot point and the comments about going out in the Black almost makes it feel like the series is priming itself to turn into SpAce Combat which I'm always 100% ok with.

So yeah, this doesn't hit the lofty heights of the Holy Trinity but I'd definitely put it over AC6 (which I still really liked) because the dialogue was 2000% less dumb and the additions of weather effects is really cool.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
    edited February 2019
    Suriko wrote: »

Even better, it seems they outright lied before release.
    In our gameplay footage, settings are on max, with options for Anti-Aliasing, Bloom, Effects, Motion Blur, Post-Processing, Screen Space Reflections, and Shadows all cranked up. Additionally, there's a built-in option for Resolution Scaling, enabling you to play at 4K quality on a 1920x1080 monitor; the option to uncap the framerate; and plenty of settings for Flight Systems, controllers, flight sticks, keyboard and mouse control, and key remapping. In other words, Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown has everything you need to tailor the experience to your liking.

Thanks, guys. I'll be sure to send the bill for the stick I bought.

That's not a lie, they do have settings. What they don't have is support.

Making stuff for PC is hard, I imagine that was why. Also, there were PC centric menu items that weren't in the console release.

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Drovek wrote: »

AVQbqkT.jpg?1

Dang, that's a bummer. I haven't run into any issues personally, so far. I wonder how widespread it is.

I guess it was just a string of bad luck (and/or bad network?)

Managed to fly quite a few matches just after posting that message. I'm having tons of fun. :lol:

steam_sig.png( < . . .