As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

NCAA Basketball: Selection Sunday

• Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    Man Michigan was tearing Nova up last night...

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    Big 10 in general just chewing through their non conference opponents.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Incindium wrote: »
    Big 10 in general just chewing through their non conference opponents.

The down year is not going like it was supposed to for the conference.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Villanova may not be that good this year...

Smited by the purple Paladins of FU (Furman)

• Options
    edited November 2018
    Wright said they're suuuuper young because they didn't except DiVincenzo and Spellman to blow up and become NBA picks last year. I would guess they'll get their shit together in February and March and be a team nobody wants to play.

Also Furman earlier beat Loyola, so that's half the Final Four.

/furiously checks schedule, sighs in relief

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    Providence has a freshman named David Duke. He's black, and that is an interesting decision by his parents.

• Options
    Man, we allowed 20 points in both halves. And more FGs than forced turnovers. Bummer.

Michigan demolishes what appears to be a pretty long and athletic Providence team, 66-47.

• Options
    Curious fact: The Big Ten has Ohio State, Purdue, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Indiana, and Maryland ranked consecutively from 23-28 in the AP poll.

• Options
    This might look dumb in 45 minutes or so, but Duke last night and tonight is not that impressive to me? Athletically impressive, but not even vaguely cohesive. They got like 25 more free throws last night because Duke or they would have lost. And then the Zags are just torching them.

• Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    Well Auburn and Gonzaga are both also great teams. But Auburn never got closer than 5 points and Duke came back against Gonzaga. Any young team is going to struggle sometimes, especially on defense.

Keep in mind that last year in the PK80, Duke trailed by double digits against Portland State, Texas, and Florida.

• Options
    edited November 2018
    So that was fun. This Michigan team's defense is unreal. Starting to shoot like a Beilein team now.

@Ringo Hopefully UNC learns from this like Michigan learned from the spanking y'all gave us last year.

Boilers choke away a lead late against FSU, ACC/Big Ten Challenge splits at 7 each.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    I don't watch college basketball until March because I am a monster, but this came across my news feed and the butthurt made me smile so hard. No idea about the validity of their arguments because, as I said, I am a terrible college basketball viewer

Wisconsin’s Brad Davison is college basketball’s grossest, best flopper
    The Big Ten has an extensive history of getting its teeth kicked in when it comes to the ACC-Big Ten Challenge, which is going down this week on ESPN. The Big Ten lost this event for its first 10 — ten! — years. Last season, ACC teams won 11 of the 14 games. This is the 20th year of The Challenge, and the Big Ten has only won outright five times. You get the point.

So, how does the Big Ten actually make it a competition against the ACC this year? By getting back to its roots and playing some good ole fashioned Big Ten Basketball. And by that we mean taking a lot of charges.

Veevee on
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    So that was fun. This Michigan team's defense is unreal. Starting to shoot like a Beilein team now.

Ringo Hopefully UNC learns from this like Michigan learned from the spanking y'all gave us last year.

Boilers choke away a lead late against FSU, ACC/Big Ten Challenge splits at 7 each.

While it wasn't quite a give up call, the extended sequence with the starters on the bench was interesting.

It should be a teaching moment, but we'll see if anybody was ready to learn. This felt very reminiscent of both the Texas and UCLA games last week

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Michigan blows out another ranked team. 19 over Purdue. UNC's the closest anyone's come so far. I'm not used to a Beilein team being good in November/December.

• Options
    Kansas drills a contested three to send their game against Stanford to OT.

• Options
    Dammit Stanford, that would've been a huge win

I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Heels giving me some hope here, with a nice win over Gonzaga

(probably should've been a neutral site game somewhere in the midwest, Zags looked all out of sorts)

Kentucky next Saturday. EXCITEMENT

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    When you have that much talent you always have hope. Still don't really play defense at all and they have to be able to win at a different pace at some point.

• Options
    Pace will definitely be an issue against Virginia. Defense though... yes, it's not good, and can definitely improve. I guess I'm just buoyed by the turnover and rebound numbers put up tonight. (not our turnover numbers though, yeesh)

Unless the other team just absolutely does not miss, then forcing double digit turnovers and leading by double digits in the rebounding margin is a huge plus for the kind of game UNC generally excels at

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    I only focus on rebounding percentages.

• Options
    Which is why you have much more insightful commentary than I do :+1:

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Fun but very sloppy game between #7 Auburn and NC State, that should've ended 5 minutes ago *sigh*

Good to see State knock off a top ten team before ACC play!

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Basketball officiating needs reform. Kentucky/Alabama is basically anything goes for Kentucky right now because they're behind in the last minute. And then repeated lengthy replays that took 20 seconds for the broadcast crew to determine.

EDIT: Alabama barely holds on. Tried to blow an 11 point lead with like 2 to go, but couldn't.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    now everything is fucked up

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    Playing on the road is tough!

Unless it's Pitt and they post a 21% shooting clip for the half

Then it's kinda easy!

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    https://www.syracuse.com/expo/sports/g66l-2019/01/93d003e3132267/best-and-worst-from-syracuse-basketballs-loss-at-duke.html
    Durham, N.C. -- The Syracuse basketball team shocked No. 1 Duke, 95-91 in overtime, on Monday at Cameron Indoor Stadium. The Orange improved to 12-5 (3-1 ACC).

Syracuse beat Duke.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    @Bobble @SirToasty

Those notoriously soft rims at Cameron sure didn't give any shooter's bounces tonight

Grats on felling the last unbeaten

(Mis-tagged @bobble)

Ringo on
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Yeah that was a weird game. For two top-5 defensive teams there were a ton of layups given up. And for two top-5 offensive teams there were a lot of missed 3s and FTs.

• Options
    For the record, I hate the Kohl Center so fucking much.

• Options
    Badgerball takes its due

Its stupid, stupid due

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Flopping to victory since 1995.

• Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    Yeah I'm amazed that Virginia only hit 2 threes. That's our m.o. this year!

• Options
  • Options
    It's still real weird that the best player on a Beilein team is a defense first point guard who does not have a jump shot.

• Options
    Slash n pass can be a winner

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    ahaha michigan

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    Oh no, we lost to a top 20ish team on the road! And are 20-2! Whatever will we do!

• Options
    edited February 2019
    Losing to a team on a seven game losing streak at home though? That's pretty funny. Bonus: Indiana's best player (note: not Romeo Langford, who sucks) got hurt and missed much of the game.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    After the last few games, I'm starting to feel really good about this Kentucky team. Several guys who can turn it on and take over when needed, they play as a team, they play hard, and Ashton Hagans on defense is fun as hell to watch.

I don't think I've enjoyed watching a Kentucky team this much since the Anthony Davis team that won the championship in 2012.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    After the last few games, I'm starting to feel really good about this Kentucky team. Several guys who can turn it on and take over when needed, they play as a team, they play hard, and Ashton Hagans on defense is fun as hell to watch.

I don't think I've enjoyed watching a Kentucky team this much since the Anthony Davis team that won the championship in 2012.

I'll pencil you in for another Elite Eight matchup!

Carolina is starting to look real again

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
This discussion has been closed.