As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Come to my [house], be one of the comfortable people

• Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    I will happily gift you an additional ~8C today, but you have to work out how to get it back to your place.

Pickup in Western Australia.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Argh. Something so simple as cutting skirting boards to length is completely mashing my brain

Three times now I've cut the joint in the wrong direction so the 45 degree angle is facing the wrong way so things won't meet properly in the corners. Luckily I've got quite a few offcuts because I'm also apparently bad at measuring so I've been filling gaps with those and hoping it'll all look ok with some filler and caulking

It's because the mitre saw I'm using only tilts in one direction and I just cannot get my head around how to make a cut in the other direction by flipping the board. It doesn't help that the boards are over 5m in length so flipping them round isn't an easy prospect

I'm also worrying about having enough to cover all the surfaces I need so every time something doesn't fit right all I can think of is the wasted money and time and having to scrape together some more money to order some more boards if I run out

I just want to get painting! I'm good at painting!

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    It might take longer, but grab the board, put it where it needs to be and sketch in the cut. When I did the flooring at my parents place, it was the only thing that helped us not make those mistakes.

• Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    your boards should like the most convoluted treasure map you have ever seen before you make your cuts

it's the only way to be sure

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    Blake T wrote: »
    It might take longer, but grab the board, put it where it needs to be and sketch in the cut. When I did the flooring at my parents place, it was the only thing that helped us not make those mistakes.

Yeah, I've started doing this. Luckily there's so many awkward bits that nothing has gone to waste so far - anything cut in the wrong direction I've managed to re-use around the chimneys, or the pillars, or anywhere else

I'm on my last board and I've still got half a chimney and a pillar and a quarter to do, so it looks like I'm going to have to buy a whole 5.4m board for about 30cm of coverage.

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    We’re getting our cats back soon, so I need to buy and install a cat door in the house-garage door! That way we can keep their litter box in the garage.

• Options
    60cm short. I didn't account for the little awkward bits around the chimneys or the other kink in one of the walls

I wonder if I went into the builders merchants with a saw I could chop an end off without being noticed

• Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    Janson wrote: »
    We’re getting our cats back soon, so I need to buy and install a cat door in the house-garage door! That way we can keep their litter box in the garage.

Make sure you check local code on that first. In Texas it's actually considered a fire hazard, and like everything is legal here.

• Options
    Strikor wrote: »

Make sure you check local code on that first. In Texas it's actually considered a fire hazard, and like everything is legal here.

Ooh, thank you! I never even considered that. Hmm, I’ll avoid that then.

Perhaps we’ll put the cat litter in the understairs closet, then!

• Options
    So we’re experiencing our first snow in our new house. Today we got more snow than Puyallup typically gets in a year, plus temperatures are dropping to 15 F/-9 C.

The house hasn’t had any problems maintaining a temp of 66 F, and things seem fine; is there anything we should do overnight? We’re Californians/southern English people so snow is very alien to us.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    So we’re experiencing our first snow in our new house. Today we got more snow than Puyallup typically gets in a year, plus temperatures are dropping to 15 F/-9 C.

The house hasn’t had any problems maintaining a temp of 66 F, and things seem fine; is there anything we should do overnight? We’re Californians/southern English people so snow is very alien to us.

Have you covered/wrapped all exposed spigots and pipes on the outside of the house? That is an important one. This would be a great time to do draft hunting in crawl spaces/attics/unused areas.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Drip your taps if it's getting that cold. Open up your cold water faucets so they're dripping about once per second. If the pipes freeze, this will give the pressure an outlet so they don't burst. You can also leave your sink cabinets open to increase the amount of heat being absorbed by your pipes.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Also sand your walks and drive to prevent slipping.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »

Gods yes. Please sand your walks and driveway, especially if you have people coming over.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Is your house properly wendigo proofed?

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »

Wouldn't that just make them smoother and more slippery?!

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    No. Sand is an good abrasive that provides excellent traction in icy conditions. As you walk on it, it digs into the icy surface and provides traction. You don't need a deep layer or anything, just a good solid dusting.

You do have to re-apply after a melt and freeze cycle though, because it only works when it is on the surface of the ice, not in it. A good way to do it is to have a 5 gallon bucket next to your front door with a scoop, and when you walk to the car in the morning take a big scoop of sand and sprinkle it in front of you while you walk.

webguy20 on
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    do you recommend a belt sander or just by hand?

• Options
    Thanks everyone! The taps are a-dripping tonight.

I actually had weatherproofed the back yard tap (leading into the house) months ago when we first moved in and it was a maintenance thing I read about, but I never did the front yard tap (attached to the garage) and ooops I went out tonight and the hose it is attached to was already frozen solid. Uh oh.

We lack sand for the walkways so we’ll just be careful and I’ll not invite anyone over...

• Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Kitty litter can work in a pinch.

[Edit]
    Because there's always the mail carrier at least.

LaOs on
  • Options
    In other "andrew underestimates the size of the project" news, two tubes of caulk wasn't enough.

Things are looking much nicer where I've caulked the edges of the joinery for the skirting / architrave, but because none of the walls are straight there's a lot of gaps to fill. I should've worn gloves, too, as I've worn down the pads on my index and pointer fingers to the point where there's a fair bit of blood smeared across the last section of skirting I got done.

I'm going to try and start sizing the fresh plaster, tonight. In my head I've got this idea that if I start at 8 I'll be done by half 10 or so, but seeing as how undercoating the architrave, banister rails and stairs took 4 hours last week I'm probably going to make it to bed around midnight if I try and do it all at once.

I just really want this finished.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Thanks everyone! The taps are a-dripping tonight.

I actually had weatherproofed the back yard tap (leading into the house) months ago when we first moved in and it was a maintenance thing I read about, but I never did the front yard tap (attached to the garage) and ooops I went out tonight and the hose it is attached to was already frozen solid. Uh oh.

We lack sand for the walkways so we’ll just be careful and I’ll not invite anyone over...

It came up in another thread, you might be responsible for clearing the sidewalk in front of your property and liable for accidents that happen there because it was too slippery.

• Options
    I'm going to try and start sizing the fresh plaster, tonight. In my head I've got this idea that if I start at 8 I'll be done by half 10 or so, but seeing as how undercoating the architrave, banister rails and stairs took 4 hours last week I'm probably going to make it to bed around midnight if I try and do it all at once.

Oh you sweet, Summer child

Four hours got me about a quarter of the room done

Any volunteers? I can pay in *checks* Hobnobs?

• Options
    Kind of weird realization today:

I’ve always lived on in areas with lots of power lines/poles. They’ve always been such an integral part of any street I’ve lived on and in San Jose the power would go out at least once a year because some driver would plow into a pole.

We’re expecting high winds this weekend and I mentioned to my coworker how we were preparing for a loss of power. He said he wasn’t too concerned because all the power lines in the area are underground and typically not affected by the weather.

So I get home and realized that yeah, there’s no power lines in our neighborhood, either. Our street has always looked somewhat empty and I finally know why!

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I had the opposite thing, where it took me a while to figure it why the view from my third floor apartment seemed so messy and 80s, and then eventually I went “oh, duh, giant tangles of power lines everywhere.” I’m used to them being underground.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    We got a composting thing what you can turn with a handle so we can start letting our vegetable scraps rot in a plastic barrel in the garden by the shed instead of just binning them. It was fun to put together! Then again I am definitely a special case in that regard...

• Options
    Also, in house-related good news:

My parents divorced a few years ago. It seemed a pretty even split at the time (dad got his business/pension, mom got the house) but due to several circumstances (business being sold for far more than it had valued at, dad’s new wife having a sizable house in London, dad being left property in some old lady’s will) my dad’s very comfortably off whereas my mom has been really struggling. She was a stay-at-home-mom for 35 years and, now in her 60s, there isn’t much option for income for her.

The house she has is the house I grew up in as a teen; it’s a great size, but has all kinds of issues. I used to have to periodically scrub my bedroom walls with bleach because of the mold that would grow. We had slug infestations. There’s a hole in the dining room ceiling. My mom has no hope of having the income to fix major issues and it’s draughty and expensive to maintain.

As you may or may not know, looming Brexit is also probably going to crash the housing market. Basically my mom’s accountant said to her, ‘you need to sell now, you need to make x profit and then I’ll guarantee you can support yourself for the rest of your life.’

Anyway, the one good thing about my mom’s house is that it’s on a sizeable chunk (for urban UK - it’s nearly half an acre) of land in a desirable seaside town. And so some eager builders have bought her house, and my mom has had an offer accepted on a new house! It’s small, but does have three bedrooms (so she can host me when I visit, hehe) and it has a really gorgeous new kitchen and nice (especially for the UK) bathrooms.

• Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    Totally normal house for sale

"House is sold furnished"

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I Zimbra wrote: »

For $750k? That seems good, actually. You can remove some of the more...uh...interesting decor.

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I've never seen a bathroom with the sinks and vanities like that.
    I kind of like it.

What's going on in picture 31? Is that a sex thing?
    There's a lot of interesting sex things in that room.

Psykoma on
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »

For $750k? That seems good, actually. You can remove some of the more...uh...interesting decor.

Yeah, like that improperly hung flat screen in the billiard room.

didn't really notice anything else out of place

• Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »

I mean, if I'm buying Fuck Manor I'm not going to leave it looking like a Pottery Barn threw up in there.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »

I meant all the animal skins, really. They're just tacky in this day and age.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    "What's wrong with this house everything looks nic... oh .. oh I see"

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    That's in the basement as far as I can tell, so a literal sex dungeon

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

It did escalate extremely quickly

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »

I can imagine the heavy sigh the realtor made when they had to write "Full finished walk-out basement w bilco doors, includes a gym or 5th bedroom and also is a private adult sexual oasis."

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Knight_ wrote: »

I can imagine the heavy sigh the realtor made when they had to write "Full finished walk-out basement w bilco doors, includes a gym or 5th bedroom and also is a private adult sexual oasis."

Realtor: "Won't you at least hide the mannequin fist?"

Seller: "I said fully furnished and I meant it"

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    "50 shades of Maple Glen". One of a kind surburban home with a sexy twist.

Didn't read that until after scrolling through pictures wondering what the big deal was.

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    "The basement has had some... damp issues over the years but the surveyor said it's not structural."

This discussion has been closed.