As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Whatever happened to the [TV] Thread?

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Season 4 of AD was really good. I stand by that.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    It was okay.

Honestly the original run has not entirely aged well and Season 4 felt like it was built around all the stuff that doesn't work, rather than the stuff that did.

The shitty gender stuff was worse than ever

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    How to Get Away with Murder fucking goes places.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    God. MST3K episode 512: Mitchell is still so bad. It somehow gets worse every time I see it.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    this is going to sound insane, but could someone load up S3E10 of Travelers, and skip ahead to
    where MacLaren is heading through the office to ambush preempt 001

with about 5 minutes left in the episode, the camera tracks MacLaren passing a cubicle, then switches to a shot of his destination; a man is leaving his office. He closes the door, pauses, and then moves off.

focus on the door. Just before MacLaren enters the frame, I'm seeing a really subtle blue flash.

Is that visible to anyone else? What's happening there?

Tamin on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    What we really need is new Better Off Ted.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I like the first two seasons of Arrested Development, I can do without everything after that.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    God. MST3K episode 512: Mitchell is still so bad. It somehow gets worse every time I see it.

I feel that Mitchell is the worst shit that is still enjoyable, Red Zone Cuba is much worse but induces a potent malaise

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    pookapooka Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Mitchell!

it is one of my favorites; i think i watched it in a film class.

https://youtu.be/KW4lHnLr-bE#t=166
    makes me lose my shit and was my exact reaction. "whaAT?!"

pooka on
    lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    What we really need is new Better Off Ted.

Corporate is pretty much BOT just taken to the "here's how capitalism crushed us all" place. It's pretty good.

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »

I feel that Mitchell is the worst shit that is still enjoyable, Red Zone Cuba is much worse but induces a potent malaise

At the same time there's something about Red Zone Cuba and the whole of Coleman Francis' oeuvre that feels... unique, in the annals of bad movies

It's not Ed Wood schlock or some mercenary director making a dumb monster movie on the cheap to make bank at drive-ins. Coleman is like a 60's version of Neil Breen, self serious and baffling and trying really hard with zero skill (heck maybe even better than Neil)

Of course it's all terrible but it's all clearly trying to say something, and at the very least he's got a distinct style

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    YaYa wrote: »
    Veldrin wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure it's an actual literal crime that we still haven't gotten an explanation about the Patrick Rothfuss thing

he posted an excerpt of something on the Writer’s Block for critique, it got torn apart, he threw a hissy fit about it and caught a ban for it

it didn't quite play out like that. someone posted with some really ordinary writing and we were fairly blunt in issuing criticism. rothfuss came along out of the blue (he was already reasonably well known and his first book was starting to garner real praise by this point) and at first attacked the critiques, telling us to use the 'compliment sandwich' approach, and then broadly dismissed the idea of online writing forums in general. by that stage the original poster was bamboozled and we intimated that if he didn't think online forums were useful he should rack off. which he promptly did.

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    I'm watching this Knightfall show on Netflix

It's... pretty okay? As a piece of historical fiction it's been pretty fun and fascinating.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Meant to check out the pilot for Russian Doll, ended up watching the whole series

The short episode length did that show wonders. The pace on it was fuckin' great.

It didn't QUITE stick the landing, for me, but I had a ton of fun with it.

Also, Maxine for president

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I’m not going to look it up but I don’t have a problem believing that I would be broadly on Rothfuss side

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm liking Russian Doll a lot, the premise is a favourite of mine.

I just finished episode 3
    The guy revealing that he's going through the same phenomenon was a great, unexpected reveal. I would have kept marathoning but after that I need some time for it to marinate first.

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    i will eventually give russian doll a whirl because i love natasha lyonne

but right now i gotta watch the i know what you did last summer trilogy

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    Five episodes into Sabrina

I like the idea of it, I love Kiernan Shipka, but I’m really not feeling this so far. Just can’t seem to hold my attention

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Holy shit Runaways S02E11
    This Spanish cover of Pretty in Pink kicks ass

What a good joke that also feels well suited and appropriate to the character(s)

Straightzi on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Jimothy wrote: »
    Five episodes into Sabrina

I like the idea of it, I love Kiernan Shipka, but I’m really not feeling this so far. Just can’t seem to hold my attention

theres a lot of stuff to like about sabrina, but the whole thing feels kinda off and not great

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    We’ve been watching We Bare Bears with the kids in the evenings and that show is really good!

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Just finished the invincible comic series.
    That uh... That really ends up going in a real "hey guys, what if fascism was good" direction pretty hard, huh.

If they get that far, I hope they cut everything involving/related to Rex in the other dimension and Tyranusaur in the TV series. Like, there's done questionable stuff before that, but those two bits are just yeeeeesh.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Current episode of Blindspot has the cast pretending to be poorly written true crime versions of themselves. It's intentionally bad and pretty fucking hilarious.

I think it is the most meta the show has ever been.

sig.gif
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    So yesterday I finished all of Xena, and I have some thoughts on it.

The Golden Chakrams!
    A Xena: Warrior Princess Award Ceremony

-- Best Episode: The Royal Couple of Thieves (1.17)
    -- Best Season: Season Four
    -- Worst Episode: Married With Fishsticks (5.15)
    -- Worst Season: Season Five
    -- Best Lead Female Protagonist: Xena (Lucy Lawless)
    -- Best Recurring Female Protagonist: Aphrodite (Alexandra Tydings)
    -- Best One-Shot Female Protagonist: Janice Covington (Renee O'Connor)
    -- Best Lead Male Protagonist: Joxer the Mighty (Ted Raimi)
    -- Best Recurring Male Protagonist: Autolycus, the King of Thieves (Bruce Campbell)
    -- Best One-Shot Male Protagonist: Cecrops (Tony Todd)
    -- Best Lead Female Antagonist: Callisto (Hudson Leick)
    -- Best Recurring Female Antagonist: Alti (Claire Stansfield)
    -- Best One-Shot Female Antagonist: Najara (Kathryn Morris)
    -- Best Lead Male Antagonist: Ares (Kevin Smith)
    -- Best Recurring Male Antagonist: Julius Caesar (Karl Urban)
    -- Best One-Shot Male Antagonist: Bacchus (Anthony Ray Parker)
    -- Best Song: “The Love of Your Love” by Xena (Lucy Lawless)
    -- Best Musical Performance: “Dancing in the Moonlight” by Jace (Ted Raimi)

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Fuck that is good

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I'm gonna get this stupid CBS streaming service for one show, aren't I

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Black Mirror has already set a ridiculously high bar for a Twilight Zone reboot. I'm really curious to see how it turns out.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    That the new Twilight Zone is remaking old episodes doesn't make me feel optimistic. Sure, you can do neat things remixing past greatest hits, but I'd much rather see new stories.

I guess people want to see the same stories retold again and again, forever? I hope not.

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    So yesterday I finished all of Xena, and I have some thoughts on it.

I would like to see a Best and Worst 'Not-Xena Played By Lucy Lawless' category.

I was going to make a joke after spotting Janice on the list, then went to check the wiki to remember not-Xena's name that episode and found like three more characters she plays.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm liking Russian Doll a lot, the premise is a favourite of mine.

I just finished episode 3
    The guy revealing that he's going through the same phenomenon was a great, unexpected reveal. I would have kept marathoning but after that I need some time for it to marinate first.

They did spoiler that in the autoplay trailer that pops up in the Neflix app.

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    With everyone raving about Russian Doll I decided to start watching it

not even an entire episode in and it's already excellent

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Black Mirror has already set a ridiculously high bar for a Twilight Zone reboot. I'm really curious to see how it turns out.

So it just needs 6 good episodes to top it

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Yeah and a real Twilight Zone reboot is capable of telling more kinds of stories than "your computer is bad for you"

• Options
    Ohhhhhhhh black mirror like a PHONE I get it

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

• Options
    existexist Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    Ohhhhhhhh black mirror like a PHONE I get it

but my phone is white and red... it looks badass

UmPiq.png
  • Options
    No the screen though

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Well, we don't know that...

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Yeah and a real Twilight Zone reboot is capable of telling more kinds of stories than "your computer is bad for you"

I want to clarify here, even if you're someone who likes Black Mirror a lot - which is cool! - it's an entire show about intrusive technology, and I want a show that's about random spooky things happening to people because they're assholes, or some such thing

This discussion has been closed.