As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Marvel] Thread: Now in WandaVision!

• Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    blade is the friends we made along the way

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Jesus christ

Mike S. Miller, a trash bag of a comics artist who is a Comicsgater somehow found a new Avenue of trash to explore

He owned a Mark Wieringo Spider-Man cover rough sketch

And decided to draw over it with his shitty MAGA original character, copy Ringo's signature and is now going to run the cover with a credit to the deceased Wieringo, selling it as his "last cover"

What a fucking ghoul

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    There should be a law against inking unfinished pencils, and/or coloring original artwork on the board. It destroys the value and looks awful.

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Mark Waid is going to murder that man

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    So many comic creators are going to murder him

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I don’t mind re-numbering per se but Marvel seem determined to do it the most obnoxious way possible. Like if every couple trades’ worth of books are now gonna be their own run, just give the run it’s own subtitle so it’s easy to find. “Ms. Marvel: Curse of the Purple Monkey #1” and so forth.

Rather than the current status quo, which is the various runs really only being differentiated by the author and date

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
    DC has been doing an experiment with Deathstroke for a few months now where the ongoing is still numbered, like, issue 35 or whatever, but each story arc is given its own title treatment and treated as a standalone story

So, like, issue 30-36 was parts 1-6 of Deathstroke vs. Batman and 37-43 is Deathstroke: Arkham and so one

It seems like a good way to let long runs happen but also present the stories in a pretty easily followed format

CYpGAPn.png
  • Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    I like the look of that SHulk.

Would you say you're really feeling it?

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Mark Waid is going to murder that man
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    DC has been doing an experiment with Deathstroke for a few months now where the ongoing is still numbered, like, issue 35 or whatever, but each story arc is given its own title treatment and treated as a standalone story

So, like, issue 30-36 was parts 1-6 of Deathstroke vs. Batman and 37-43 is Deathstroke: Arkham and so one

It seems like a good way to let long runs happen but also present the stories in a pretty easily followed format

Isn't that just moving from an implicit writing for trade to explicit? Not that that's bad (Frankly, I think it's where comics should go), just asking.

• Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    it just reminds me of nineties comics, where they would tell you the name of the arc and what part of what it was on the cover.

6vjsgrerts6r.png

Not really

Priest is still telling long, overarching stories with Deathstroke that go across multiple arcs. It is just making each storyline itself as accessible as possible.

Which more comics should do, really. Constant relaunches aren't a permanent solution, but making books that you can jump onto 3 or 4 story arcs in and will still be around 3 or 4 arcs later are closer to a genuine fix.

It is how DC has been operating since Rebirth, really. They didn't even relaunch Wonder Woman when G. WILLOW WILSON, probably the biggest woman in comics writing nowadays, took over the title and that was 60 issues in!

CYpGAPn.png
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Not really

Priest is still telling long, overarching stories with Deathstroke that go across multiple arcs. It is just making each storyline itself as accessible as possible.

Which more comics should do, really. Constant relaunches aren't a permanent solution, but making books that you can jump onto 3 or 4 story arcs in and will still be around 3 or 4 arcs later are closer to a genuine fix.

It is how DC has been operating since Rebirth, really. They didn't even relaunch Wonder Woman when G. WILLOW WILSON, probably the biggest woman in comics writing nowadays, took over the title and that was 60 issues in!

Oh, I thought you meant they were actually standalone stories. I have not been following Deathstroke.

Yeah, it sounds kinda like what they did in the 90s.

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    it just reminds me of nineties comics, where they would tell you the name of the arc and what part of what it was on the cover.

UXM did this into the early 2010s afaik; it’d deal with one handful of characters for a six issue arc that had its own little subhead. Avengers used to do it too but seems to have stopped much earlier. A nice thing is that it also provides a nice framework for events and crossovers, since they can get their little subhead in the same way.

NREqxl5.jpg
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Constant relaunches aren't even a good temporary solution

They burn up good will for increasingly smaller and smaller short term influxes of sales

I think they were good for a very short window, back in the early Marvel Now days

Those complete line-wide "fuck it, we are relaunching basically everything and starting fresh" moves can be really helpful but they can't happen literally every year

As that Spacetwinks thread showed, DC hasn't done any of those sweeping resets since Rebirth launched (having only done them for situations like the Justice League revamp and Bendis taking over Superman, and those were after 50 issue runs) and sales have remained pretty consistent and healthy across the board

If a big slate cleaning happened every 5 years or so, then that's not too bad, but once or sometimes even twice a year is BANANAS

CYpGAPn.png
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    It's mostly because Marvel don't have a fucking clue what they're doing

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Marvel takes all the wrong lessons whenever they have a success. Their recent past is littered with concepts that are basically "Well this worked once, so let's keep doing it over and over again." and then when they run it into the ground, they have no clue why it suddenly stopped working.

One of the biggest problems they kept running into is the specific titles they chose to launch

They would launch, like, 20-30 new books over the course of 3 months and expect titles like PROWLER and STARBRAND & NIGHTMASK and SOLO to somehow get an audience in an incredibly crowded marketplace when they have to compete against the dozen plus other, bigger, books out that month

And when they didn't immediately take off in a big way, they would cancel them before they even got a trade out

A complete mess of a strategy that never had any chance of working

CYpGAPn.png
    edited February 2019
    One of the biggest problems they kept running into is the specific titles they chose to launch

They would launch, like, 20-30 new books over the course of 3 months and expect titles like PROWLER and STARBRAND & NIGHTMASK and SOLO to somehow get an audience in an incredibly crowded marketplace when they have to compete against the dozen plus other, bigger, books out that month

And when they didn't immediately take off in a big way, they would cancel them before they even got a trade out

A complete mess of a strategy that never had any chance of working

I feel like whenever they did a book like that, they were hoping for a new Matt Fraction Hawkeye, and when they got nowhere near close, they canceled them to try and do another set. Just throwing shit at the wall in the hopes of a mega success and not giving a damn about anything less. It's the same "everything or nothing" mentality that's pervading a LOT of large media corporations these days, from videogames to movies.

Undead Scottsman on
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Even Matt Fraction Hawkeye had a built-in reader base from Matt Fraction Iron Fist, so it still doesn't make sense

Marvel be duuuumb

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    Ringo wrote: »
    Even Matt Fraction Hawkeye had a built-in reader base from Matt Fraction Iron Fist, so it still doesn't make sense

Marvel be duuuumb

I mean, that was just my take on this. Like I have any clue what's actually going on behind the scenes.

• RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    I get that! Just wanted to point out that even an unheralded project like Hawkeye wasn't as much of an out-of-nowhere success as you might think. Fraction and Aja earned that good will with a run that was given Brubaker's name on it to help sell it in the first place

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • never dienever die Registered User regular
    Or my favorite recent example, Sina Grace’s Iceman, which had a decent but not great following, so was killed before the first trade came out. Then it and the second trade did really well, so they brought it back, but only for a five issue mini-series.

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I wonder if Marvel even has to care anymore.

With Disney & Marvel Studios, aren't they effectively protected from any serious misfortune as they're just IP factories?

What is their incentive to be better?

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
    Teaser for Avengers at the superbowl

One thing I noticed
    Is that a 2008 era GotG uniform on Rocket?

• CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular

One thing I noticed

Hoo lawd
    Cap’s getting his shield back

Ceno wrote: »

One thing I noticed

Hoo lawd
    Cap’s getting his shield back
    I'm betting that shot in the field is everyone watching Tony and Nebula arrive.

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I've heard people saying after the Disney purchase that once Disney took a look at Marvel's finances and lack of any real success they'd be in trouble. But that doesn't seem to have happened. I think Disney genuinely does not care about Marvel Comics, they only care about Marvel Studios.

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Who is that walking behind War-Machine in that last shot?

Zonugal on
    edited February 2019
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    I've heard people saying after the Disney purchase that once Disney took a look at Marvel's finances and lack of any real success they'd be in trouble. But that doesn't seem to have happened. I think Disney genuinely does not care about Marvel Comics, they only care about Marvel Studios.

Marvel Comics is probably fairly self sufficient (as in the money they bring in offsets their operating costs) and so, unlike movies where shareholders can make the case of "Well, this movie was only a moderate success, so let's focus our money on something than can be a blockbuster instead", ending Marvel Comics wouldn't suddenly give them money to allocate elsewhere, so there really isn't a reason to shut them down.

Undead Scottsman on
    Interesting that they're working in the comics tagline.

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Yeah, Marvel is in the same spot DC is. They don't need to really give a shit about the comics because they are merch generators above all else now.

It's good when the companies do care about the comics they put out, but they don't necessarily need to anymore.

sig.gif
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I've been avoiding Captain Marvel stuff since the first teaser, so I'm glad that ad didn't have anything major in it that I could tell.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    I actually figure it’s the opposite of that? The only reason I can imagine marvel making all of these terrible long-term calls is corporate culture. I know you can’t blame it all on one guy but it feels like marvels decision making got a lit worse when Pearlmutter got kicked out of Marvels movie Studios.

Quire.jpg
  • Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular

Super annoying BTW that 30-36 took place before issue 29 and 37-43 continues from the cliffhanger in 29.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
    Marvel seemed to have a lot of years of really strong editorial direction, which I tend to think would help marginal titles survive even if their sales/response were lackluster. Even the most recent Marvel NOW stuff could be kinda scattershot but still had a sort of unity of tone/feel/theme to it.

It seems like after secret wars they've just lost that and are kinda flailing; they obviously wanted civil war 2 and secret empire to be line-defining efforts and unfortunately they both just sucked.

NREqxl5.jpg
    Taika Waititi recently said at an event that he wants to make another movie with Marvel Studios but said he has no interest in directing GotG 3 as he views them as James Gunn's movies and would feel uncomfortable taking over.

CYpGAPn.png
    Taika Waititi recently said at an event that he wants to make another movie with Marvel Studios but said he has no interest in directing GotG 3 as he views them as James Gunn's movies and would feel uncomfortable taking over.

Just give him Thor 4!

I have a feeling there will not be a Thor 4

But give him Valkyrie 1

CYpGAPn.png
This discussion has been closed.