As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pancakes vs Waffles

• asofyeunasofyeun Registered User regular
    Pancakes
    there can be savory pancakes

like chinese scallion pancakes

or korean kimchi pancakes

• rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Waffles
    So, waffle people, tell me what you think about chicken and waffles?

1200px-Chicken_and_waffles_with_peaches_and_cream.jpg

I mean

Obviously yes.

• 2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    Pancakes
    asofyeun wrote: »
    there can be savory pancakes

like chinese scallion pancakes

or korean kimchi pancakes

If this counts, then yeah, pancakes. No contest.

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Waffles
    I've never got the whole chicken and waffles thing

but I hate fried chicken so to me it's just ruining a perfectly good waffle

• WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Waffles
    There's a chicken and waffles place down in Kensington, the Dirty Bird, and they make a pretty nice gluten-free waffle and some wonderful fried chicken, got just the right level of flavor and greasiness to pair up nicely

Man, I could go for some of that shit right now

dN0T6ur.png
  • KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    Waffles
    So, waffle people, tell me what you think about chicken and waffles?

1200px-Chicken_and_waffles_with_peaches_and_cream.jpg

I mean that chicken shouldn't have bones but otherwise hell yes. Put some spicy maple on there and maybe some coleslaw for an additional crunch.

• NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Waffles
    I went and made myself a lemon poppyseed buttermilk belgian waffle for tomorrow morning. Going to stick it in the toaster oven to crisp up for breakfast mmmmm

NightDragon on
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Waffles
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    Is there savoury waffles? Waffles with ham in them? Spicy waffles?

Duck and waffle exists, so yes

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Waffles
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »
    Do I want to use a skillet, or two skillets that cannot be used for anything else

Check out the guy with a) no imagination and b) not enough money for more than one skillet.

Edit: wait, that is a mirror.

sarukun on
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Pancakes
    a vicious self-burn here from sarukun

BahamutZERO.gif
  • sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Waffles
    It happens more than I care to admit.

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    What if chicken fried with waffle batter as the coating?

• KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    Waffles
    Enlong wrote: »
    What if chicken fried with waffle batter as the coating?

According to @sarukun, that is a dumpling.

• el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    Waffles
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    Is there savoury waffles? Waffles with ham in them? Spicy waffles?

I made bacon waffles once, and they were delicious

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    Pancakes
    It might be an Australian thing but every time I’ve been somewhere with both on the menu, the options were like

“Oh so you can have either enough pancakes that you won’t need to eat for the rest of the day

or maybe two waffles and they’ll mostly be air so you’ll be hungry again before noon.”

• LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    Waffles
    also: liege waffles are pretty much the best.

Waffles
    Waffle update:

It was delicious

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Waffles
    I've yet to find a chicken and waffle place that does both parts well. Especially the fried chicken. Every single place dredges the fuck out of the chicken in flour.

edited February 2019
    Pancakes
    I shot a how-it’s-made kind of commercial for a local restaurant with a guy who’s known as probably the top chef in town. I got to try all the dishes when we were done. One of the things he made was a eggs benedict/chicken and waffle with spicy maple. It sounds, and looks, over the top, but it was sublime.

I’m a pancakes guy, but pancakes can’t do that.

Edit: I found a picture (not from my shoot)

2 Marcus 2 Ravens on
  • MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Pixflare Registered User regular
    Waffles
    Amateur sporting event waffles with raspberry jam (and maybe brown cheese) is the superior food.

Belgian waffles, not so much.

• TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    Waffles
    I just moved, and the coffee shop across the street from my apartment has waffles. Apparently they are popular enough that on the weekends, they just put all of the fixins' out on the counter.

Weekend waffle bar!

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    I'm kind of surprised that the poll suggests that people as a whole prefer waffles to pancakes.

Maybe this just an american thing, or even just a southern thing, but my experience has been that pancakes are the popular choice.

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Waffles
    Waffles are pretty hugely popular

Like there is a reason if you go to a Wal-Mart or wherever there are a billion frozen waffle varieties and a much smaller Pancake selection

It's not a very important thing to prove or keep track of but folks definitely love waffles

CYpGAPn.png
    Waffles
    Gundi wrote: »
    I'm kind of surprised that the poll suggests that people as a whole prefer waffles to pancakes.

Maybe this just an american thing, or even just a southern thing, but my experience has been that pancakes are the popular choice.

Personally, I'm much more of a fan of crispy textures than I am cake-y textures. I think it's one of the main reasons I prefer pastries to cake. I actually don't really like cake at all! Anything like croissant or filo dough, though? Sign me the hell up.

When I think of the "Traditional American Pancake", it's very thick and cake-like, and it just feels like a boring sponge to me, texturally. I like a wee bit of crisp. I think it could be partially a texture thing for people, but it also seems like pancakes are just more...common? I see offers for 'em way more often than I see waffles.

Waffles
    MrGrimoire wrote: »
    Amateur sporting event waffles with raspberry jam (and maybe brown cheese) is the superior food.

I think you’re gonna be the only one here who knows what that is! Show us!

Pancakes
    Blankzilla wrote: »

Like there is a reason if you go to a Wal-Mart or wherever there are a billion frozen waffle varieties and a much smaller Pancake selection

It's not a very important thing to prove or keep track of but folks definitely love waffles

Frozen waffles will do in a pinch. Frozen pancakes can get fucked.

Pancakes just gotta be fresh.

Waffles
    Also for all you PAX South peeps you should know there is a VERY GOOD belgian waffle place in san antonio that I think we've all been ignoring for too long in our "where to get food" posts.

Did I already post this? Fuck if I remember. Either way it rules.

Pancakes

that's more because frozen waffles are acceptable but frozen pancakes are not very good IMO

BahamutZERO.gif
  • GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    yeah frozen waffles are fine but frozen pancakes are really shitty.

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Waffles

that's more because frozen waffles are acceptable but frozen pancakes are not very good IMO
    Yeah but a lot of folks dont have time to make pancakes or waffles in the morning for whatever reason and eat frozen instead

Which would make waffles more popular

CYpGAPn.png
  • MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Pixflare Registered User regular
    Waffles
    rhylith wrote: »
    MrGrimoire wrote: »

I think you’re gonna be the only one here who knows what that is! Show us!

Your wish is my command.
    tq2euauqaoz9.jpg

It is basically the norwegian take on waffles, but the ones they sell on sports events are made with the least healthy take on a waffle recipe you can imagine.

• WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular

Yeah but a lot of folks dont have time to make pancakes or waffles in the morning for whatever reason and eat frozen instead

Which would make waffles more popular

Yeah but the popularity of pancakes vs waffles at diners seems to flip completely. Denny's, IHOP, etc were built on pancakes. Pancakes losing out in the freezer aisle seems more to do with pancakes not freezing well rather than preference overall

• KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Waffles
    I had waffles today, they were great.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Pancakes
    In NZ you can buy pancake mix, but not whole pancakes at the supermarket.

However, you can buy hotcakes and pikelets pre-made.

Pancakes
    hotcake is a synonym for pancake in the US

BahamutZERO.gif
    Pancakes
    Hmmmmm.

Pancakes
    I can see why waffles are getting more votes. Hotcakes are not good pancakes.

edited February 2019
    Pancakes
    it's literally just another name for pancakes here, they're not a specific different worse variety, you just call them hotcakes sometimes if you feel like using a different name

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Waffles
    or if you old as hell

edit: flapjack is another old person thing

Metzger Meister on
  • VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Flapjacks are more like soft granola brownies over here