As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Etrian Odyssey: Nexus - When your cat is an absolute unit.

• Options
    Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    Just beat Etrian Odyssey 3 and didn't
    beat Olympia first, missing out on her drop.
    Oh well.

I think I'll wait a while before going for the postgame, and while I own Etrian Odyssey V, I won't be starting that any time soon. I want a break from EO games, might just finish replaying Persona 4 Golden and Final Fantasy X-2.

my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    War Revive seems to be fine, and a maxed Dismiss Revive with Circle Mastery has not been reported to fail.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    So right now for EON I'm thinking Hero, Landshark, War Magus, Survivalist, and Sovereign for my party. I'm having the hardest time choosing characters for the front line in this game. Back-row classes don't really thrill me this time around. I realized that there's a lot of elemental damage spread around on other classes so the Zodiac is out of the picture. Sovereign will be my in-battle healing and buffing, Survivalist will provide post-battle / on-field healing. The War Magus I'm going to treat like Chloe from EO2U; a front row badass rather than a healer.

Still not 100% sold on the Landshark choice. I love elemental chasers, but I'm wondering if there's a better choice out there.

Edit - I mean there's always Nightseeker, so that my War Magus and it can benefit off each other.

Henroid on
  • Options
    I want to defend with a Gunner/Protector to hear what it sounds like.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    So right now for EON I'm thinking Hero, Landshark, War Magus, Survivalist, and Sovereign for my party. I'm having the hardest time choosing characters for the front line in this game. Back-row classes don't really thrill me this time around. I realized that there's a lot of elemental damage spread around on other classes so the Zodiac is out of the picture. Sovereign will be my in-battle healing and buffing, Survivalist will provide post-battle / on-field healing. The War Magus I'm going to treat like Chloe from EO2U; a front row badass rather than a healer.

Still not 100% sold on the Landshark choice. I love elemental chasers, but I'm wondering if there's a better choice out there.

Edit - I mean there's always Nightseeker, so that my War Magus and it can benefit off each other.

Yeah, if I was only worried about elements then there's plenty of options for it. Gunner, Imperial, Ronin, and Hero all have access to all three, though it's a major investment for Ronin as you need all three stances. Though their force skills encourage that anyways. I'm trying to remember whether enemies have separate VIT and WIS defenses though.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I wish I could learn to love the Ronin. Something about it has always had me give up on it. Furthest I've gotten was in EO2 having a Ronin as far as the 2nd stratum. Which isn't much.

When I look at that party I listed above btw, it's not a far cry from the EO2U story mode party. Hero replaces the Protector (and why shouldn't it; offense output to provide defense in the same way), and the Landshark (if I stick with it) is sorta like the Fafnir with elemental output.

• Options
    Polaritie wrote: »

Yeah, if I was only worried about elements then there's plenty of options for it. Gunner, Imperial, Ronin, and Hero all have access to all three, though it's a major investment for Ronin as you need all three stances. Though their force skills encourage that anyways. I'm trying to remember whether enemies have separate VIT and WIS defenses though.

They do in some games. I know this one at least has separate physical and elemental defense-debuffs.

• Options
    Yeah one of the class skills (god I can't remember, there's so many) that provide elemental defense stipulates something about how it interacts with the base elemental defense of the character(s) in question. I was kinda shocked that the math for combat is taking another leap like that.

• Options
    I wish I could learn to love the Ronin. Something about it has always had me give up on it. Furthest I've gotten was in EO2 having a Ronin as far as the 2nd stratum. Which isn't much.

When I look at that party I listed above btw, it's not a far cry from the EO2U story mode party. Hero replaces the Protector (and why shouldn't it; offense output to provide defense in the same way), and the Landshark (if I stick with it) is sorta like the Fafnir with elemental output.

EO1, used Midareba to put the final boss down. The AI for it was abusable too (as stances used buff slots you could make it just do its buff clear over and over and over while you hit it).

• Options
    Have a cover of the 5th Stratum music from the first game, folks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBp_-c6CNN4

Also a little less than 48 hours 'til I camp outside the store to pick up my pre-order of Nexus. I've been poking at EO2U the last couple weeks in the meanwhile. Kinda wondering if this is my favorite of the series so far, including EO5.

• Options
    Hah.

It occurs to me that running a team of Survivalist / Gunner / Sovereign / Imperial / Harbinger manages to take one main class from each game. Which makes me really like the idea. And Gunner/Nightseeker seems potentially cruel (one-stop ailment/bind shop).

• Options
    Huh, that's a good idea; trying to run a party with a rep from each game. I wanna try!

• Options
    edited February 2019
    I mean, this is total coincidence - I realized that Imperial / Hero really needs the empty slot on the front line, so I switched Pugilist to Gunner for a binder. And viola.

You can just do Protector, War Magus, then whatever you want and you'll have a good functional team though.

Polaritie on
  • Options
    Alchemists are cool.

Shell Shock and Drop Shot are really funny.

• Options
    Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Starting up Etrian Odyssey V. Is Dragoon, Necromancer, and Rover too many summoning classes?

EDIT: Also... how badly do I need a dedicated healer? :P

Dr. Flamingo on
  • Options
    Necromancer is probably the one that benefits the most from having two or three summons to itself. Dragoon and Rover don't necessarily step on eachother's toes.

• Options
    Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    Hopefully two ghosts are enough because I also want to have a hawk-friend. :P

• Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    Dragoons can function perfectly well without summons. Necro+Rover works fairly well as long as you don't focus purely on ghosts with necro. Poison bomb will be your friend early on.

• Options
    KoldanarKoldanar Registered User regular
    Has anyone here pre-ordered from Amazon? I still don't have a delivery date. I have EO5 still to hold me over, but I might end up getting impatient and downloading, rather than waiting for a physical copy.

3DS friend code : 1375 - 7258 - 4504
  • Options
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Koldanar wrote: »
    Has anyone here pre-ordered from Amazon? I still don't have a delivery date. I have EO5 still to hold me over, but I might end up getting impatient and downloading, rather than waiting for a physical copy.

I just got notice that my copy has shipped for delivery tomorrow.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    It's a shame I'm gonna be putting EO2U aside tomorrow because I'm really digging this build I have the story mode party on. It's something I've been advised to try before, and I respec'd into it my last go-'round with it. But this time I'm doing it from the start and it is a fucking boss killer. I think I'm comfortable enough with how Sovereigns heal that I'll rely on them in my first go at EON. It's not a 1:1 transfer of skills and when healing is learned, but it's close enough.

No more Medics for me.

Edit - I forgot to mention, Random Disease is fucking AMAZING, particularly when you boost it past rank 10. I understand the mechanics of how it works and that it can try to apply an ailment a boss is immune to, but if there's no immunities at play you pretty much have a 100% chance to land an ailment. And the poison damage is pretty good if that hits. No matter what the ailment, it opens the door for a hefty Guard Slash and Ailing Slash. Hnnnnnnngh

Henroid on
  • Options
    Alright, I've settled on a party for EON and it has to do with me realizing the Hero's force boost was tied into their after-image creation. Not only am I using a not-direct-heal class anymore, but I'm also going with a 2 front row setup. May as well finish this with a bang.

Hero - War Magus
    Zodiac - Sovereign - Gunner

• Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    i'm thinking about running a bind-based team, because i loved mine in EOV.
    looking over the skill tree... the ailment-based team seems busted, and the bind team seems okay. hrm.

so far pug / ronin / ???
    gunner / arcanist

probably should run a tank there, or an off-tank.
    tempted to run two pugs and just kill/bind everything instead of tanking.

• Options
    Arcanist's Force Break is a good choice. Binding Miasma and Blood Fortune are also your friends.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Have a cover of the 5th Stratum music from the first game, folks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBp_-c6CNN4

Also a little less than 48 hours 'til I camp outside the store to pick up my pre-order of Nexus. I've been poking at EO2U the last couple weeks in the meanwhile. Kinda wondering if this is my favorite of the series so far, including EO5.

Orchestral versions of the first game's OST is literally the only reason I wanted to play Untold 1. That and maybe to see how the VAs handled the best story in the series, but that was more of a morbid curiosity.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Might try a Protector/Sovereign and a Protector/Highlander for "stuff happens when your face hurts".

• Options
    edited February 2019
    After all this time I've made it to the 2nd Stratum in EOV!
    Boy this one throws out the "Several floors all in a stack" concept completely, huh? Look at all that sky! With nothing above me at all! :P

Anyway, my team is Dragoon / Fencer // Rover / Necromancer / Shaman. I'm pretty happy with most of the members besides maybe the Fencer, I just feel like the thing I'm missing is solid damage output (And binds, but who isn't?). Maybe I just need to build around my chaser skills more.

Dr. Flamingo on
  • Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    Hawk rover and poison bomb ought to carry you through the second stratum at least damagewise. After that your options open up with the games subclass system.

Fencer is a class that I never used much, but they did need a lot of synergy to work as I understand it. Replacing it with a pugilist gives you both binds as well as a damagedealer that doesn't rely much on others.

• Options
    One type of fencer needs a good team, the other doesn't particularly.

• Options
    I've returned empty-handed from Gamestop because they don't have the game in yet. I even waited nearly an hour for the UPS delivery but it was running late apparently.

At least I got to see my 2yo niece conduct herself very well in a store environment, actually making the effort to put things back where she got them. Also she hugged a giant Pikachu that was as big as she is.

• Options
    Three work hours until I can lay hands on my copy.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    If I don't get a call in the next hour I'm just going back to the store. I'm actually mad at this point.

Have a launch trailer from four hours ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnkeF_7hPEU

Edit - Well Gamestop can officially go fuck itself forever.

Henroid on
  • Options
    For the heck of it, I started on Heroic.

This may have been a bad idea. Well... may. Gunner's Medic Bullet remains a great 1-point investment (since it will always clear ailments), Survivalist has amazing out of combat healing (2 TP for 50 HP at rank 1, taking it to rank 4 and it can revive)

• Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    Ugh, I need to hide this post somehow. I don't have the time for this game right now....but I wants it so very much!

• Options
    Ugh, I need to hide this post somehow. I don't have the time for this game right now....but I wants it so very much!

I suggest taking a nap in a flowerbed, that should solve your problems :rotate:

• Options
    Two things:
    1) Heroic is just Expert without the capability of doing New Game+?
    2) Choice paralysis due to all the party composition options

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    My brother in an entirely different state also doesn't have his pre-order from Gamestop. Uncanny.

• Options
    edited February 2019
    Oh, yeah, You might as well start on Heroic, because the difference between Heroic and Expert is that you can't change it back to Heroic later.
    That's the difference.
    It's to make it visible that you haven't turned the difficulty down at any point, but it's really just the Expert-difficulty again.
    You can't play Heroic in NG+, but it should still give you data to replay in other difficulties.
    Or technically, I guess you can play Heroic in NG+, but it doesn't let you keep anything, so.

PLA on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Aw man this is a 3DS game? I've already retired mine.