As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Steam] April showers bring May Birthdays

• MalakaiusMalakaius KalamazooRegistered User regular
    What is this @Isorn?! A KEY FOR ANTS?!? (Thank you for EDF 4.1- The Shadow of New Despair) <3<3<3 lessthanthree

PSN: Malakaius- | Steam: Malakaius Switch: SW-4569-5525-1983
  • Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    I've fallen down a rabbit hole of thirty-year-old computer game magazines. Turns out archive.org has all 36 issues of Zero magazine (PC Zone's multiformat precursor). One of my fave reads from back in the day. So long, any productivity whatsoever!

Oh, this brings back memories. I recognize a bunch of those early covers on sight. But my god, what happened to it for the last few issues? I don't remember those abominations.

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    I've fallen down a rabbit hole of thirty-year-old computer game magazines. Turns out archive.org has all 36 issues of Zero magazine (PC Zone's multiformat precursor). One of my fave reads from back in the day. So long, any productivity whatsoever!

Oh, this brings back memories. I recognize a bunch of those early covers on sight. But my god, what happened to it for the last few issues? I don't remember those abominations.

Trying to go for a younger market, I think it was. Rather telling that lasted for all of three issues before it folded. But by that point PC Zone had pretty much taken over (on the computer side, at least) with much of the classic crew. And that, as you may also recall, also featured contributions from a young fellow named Charlie Brooker. Yes, that one. :)

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    What was the name of that one magazine that was trying to be the Maxim of PC games? The name PC Accelerator comes to mind.

FAKE EDIT:

Yeah. That was the one. Thank god we're above that shit now!

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    You're off your rocker, PC Accelerator was great. It was a perfect companion to the more straight laced PC Gamer.

They were both owned by the same company and would do team multiplayer games against each other from time to time and it was hilarious.

• destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    @Pixelated Pixie is mean. I was gifted Subnautica: Below Zero. Which is super mean because I haven't even played through the story of the first one. So it's like I was gifted two games. Thank you Pixie!
    I also hadn't yet thanked Pixie for Bright Memory: Episode 1, I don't think. Which looks just super cool, though I also haven't played it. Thank you!

and then @HiT BiT sent a code for Tower 57. I don't even know what it's about! But I guess three tower-related games on my wishlist was one too many or something. Thank you!

steam_sig.png
  • IsornIsorn Registered User regular
    q2jfdj95xrkp.png

Something changed in the past 24 hours that causes that to happen. Not going to lie. That is going to get old really fast.

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    So between Ghost Recon, The Division and Assassins Creed Odyssey all my game time at the moment is on uPlay.

And I gotta say one benefit to this walled garden is Ubisoft obviously have some internal standardization when it comes to gamepads, because I just plug my PS4 controller in and everything is mapped just like it would be on PS4, with all the right prompt icons and such.

I managed to get this working properly exactly once on Steam, and that game that did recognize it properly (Dead Cells) afterwards only ever saw it as an Xbox pad no matter how much configuring I did.

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I finally pulled the trigger on Subnautica. I find the genre unpleasant and No Man's Sky was the only one I could tolerate. Subnautica seems equally accessible. And its strong theme makes it feel more game-y than a directionless sandbox.

I feel empowered enough that I don't want to immediately reach for a wiki. Which is important to me.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Cantido wrote: »
    I finally pulled the trigger on Subnautica. I find the genre unpleasant and No Man's Sky was the only one I could tolerate. Subnautica seems equally accessible. And its strong theme makes it feel more game-y than a directionless sandbox.

I feel empowered enough that I don't want to immediately reach for a wiki. Which is important to me.

This is exactly what turned me off to ark and even Conan exiles. I never felt like I knew what to go after. Just a directionless trial and error that really turned me off.

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
  • Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    j1a9yvuoue3j.png

@JaysonFour did a thing while I was distracted by him doing a thing to someone else. No fair, I say!

Thanks for Serment! <3<3<3

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Ah yes, @JaysonFour did indeed do a thing to someone else and the someone was me.
    klbaat9nas80.jpg
    p12psb1kiae3.jpg
    afpoz27wijxl.jpg
    Thank you for Starward Rogue, Zombie Builder Defense, and Crazy Archery! But please, use someone else for calibration next time.

steam_sig.png
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    I'm rather disappointed that murder happy horny lesbian wasn't the answer to the question of more diversity in games.

I mean murder happy horny lesbian PIRATE!

• Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    I'm rather disappointed that murder happy horny lesbian wasn't the answer to the question of more diversity in games.

I mean murder happy horny lesbian PIRATE!

You have my attention...

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Talus9952Talus9952 Registered User regular
    Oh man, I've played so many runs of The Emperor's Challenge DLC for Renowned Explorers. I can't seem to beat it! Putting this off for now, I'll definitely come back to it again at some point.

steam_sig.png
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    The super hero South Park game is $15 on ubisoft's website and I was about to buy it except I saw it used Denuvo. Is South Park a safe buy or is this one of the Denuvo games that causes system instability?

Oh man my GPU came two days early!

I made plans to hang out and do modeling stuff with my friends all day so I won't be able to install it until late tonight :(

(I should specify that when I say modeling, I mean 'building and painting miniature wargame models' modeling, not 'people taking pictures of me' modeling. I am actually quite hideous)

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Why you gotta lie?

(I should specify that when I say modeling, I mean 'building and painting miniature wargame models' modeling, not 'people taking pictures of me' modeling. I am actually quite hideous)

Vogue!

• ShadeShade Registered User regular

YOU GONNA GET ATE.

• TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Talus9952 wrote: »
    Oh man, I've played so many runs of The Emperor's Challenge DLC for Renowned Explorers. I can't seem to beat it! Putting this off for now, I'll definitely come back to it again at some point.

Some crews are definitely more strong than others, which is a bit of a shame because I usually bring 3 people together who I think would be fun in a narrative sense. Having a captain that gives gold buffs (Harry, I think?) makes you really strong for 5-star exploration because you can rain down money to solve all your combat stat problems haha

On another note, gave BATTLETECH a break last night to dabble back into Card Quest (when I stop babbling about CQ you know I've been body-snatched) and BallisticNG. It's the one that's like the PS2 Wipeout games and while it may not be a popular opinion, I think I enjoy it more than it's modern counterparts. Redout is very fast and flashy, but it's so bright and flashy that it can be really hard to follow what's happening on the screen as you corkscrew and wheelbarrow through blind corners at hundreds of KMH. At least by keeping things in a rudimentary geometry shape from Wipeout games of old that I'm used, I'm finding myself a lot more comfortable with it's play style. It did take a fair bit of tweaking to get the controls responding correctly to my muscle memory, but I'm just glad the game accommodates this level of granularity, not just control binding.

I haven't even looked through the kinds of crazy stuff you can get through the steam workshop but you can get I'm gonna trawl through it this weekend. Having an excellent time with it!

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Secondary SSD is dead!

I have a standard drive to work with, but my Total War days are over for now!

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    I haven't installed my new GPU yet because last night I didn't get home until after 3am because the Underworlds games we were playing were really good and then we ran out of gas on the freeway on the way back.

This morning I had to get up at 8 for a morning shift. Now I am stuck at work doing braindead video based training and slamming Bangs like they're the cure for cancer.

I
    just
    want
    togohomeandplayvideogames

Discovering that your gear hasn't been upgraded in this sector making limping out of a fight funny when you return to said fight, shrug off attacks, and carve a firy path of destruction.

Rebel galaxy

• IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    So in AC:Od it turns out your horse will take a jump down that it can't survive.

RIP Horse.

:(

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
    Discovering that your gear hasn't been upgraded in this sector making limping out of a fight funny when you return to said fight, shrug off attacks, and carve a firy path of destruction.

Rebel galaxy

On a related note, one thing I like in videogames is when an early game mid-boss or boss starts showing up as an end game common enemy that you cab absolutely rek. It's lazy game design, but it can really help drive home how much more powerful your character has become over the course of a game.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

Rebel galaxy

On a related note, one thing I like in videogames is when an early game mid-boss or boss starts showing up as an end game common enemy that you cab absolutely rek. It's lazy game design, but it can really help drive home how much more powerful your character has become over the course of a game.

SMRPG has a great case of this imo. Final dungeon has the first few main bosses as mooks.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

Rebel galaxy

SMRPG has a great case of this imo. Final dungeon has the first few main bosses as mooks.

Dark Souls uses two of the harder hitting first bosses as basic bad guys in one of the final areas as well.

I feel like it's usually more common to see in RPGs than any other game type, though it also shows up in shooters sometimes.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • subisubi Registered User regular
    Secondary SSD is dead!

What happened ?! Samsung ?! SSD not god for gaming ?

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    In My Time At Portia you have a dickbag nemesis who runs one of the other workshops in town.

He has an adorable pink fluffy cat.

You can feed the cat fish and other stuff it likes to raise your social score with it.

If you do this enough the cat tells dickbag to get bent then dumps his loser ass to go live with you instead.

It's a good game.

Higgins can get bent.

It is my main goal to beat his shop each and every year.

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I'm not past spring yet, taking my time. I did make all five of the taxis though since I guess everyone else there is a lazy asshole.

subi wrote: »
    Secondary SSD is dead!

Drives fail.

• subisubi Registered User regular
    Secondary SSD is dead!

Drives fail.

What about Intel SSD ? Is it same ?!

• SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »
    So in AC:Od it turns out your horse will take a jump down that it can't survive.

RIP Horse.

It's actually just really tired and needed a nap ASAP. You can leave it dozing there and run off and five minutes later after it's all refreshed, you can whistle and they'll be right there again!

It's a good horse.

s7Imn5J.png
    Secondary SSD is dead!

Drives fail.

What about Intel SSD ? Is it same ?!

Anything, anything at all has the chance of failing. From the human body to electronic equipment to anything in between, there is no such thing as flawless.

• FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    SSDs actually have a quite short lifespan as each block has a fairly limited number of writes.
    Modern SSDs are actually have a much larger storage capacity than they're rated for so that they can swap burned out blocks. Yet at some point it will run out of blocks.
    Higher quality brands have a higher number of hidden blocks, but regardless of brand it will burn out if you use it for write intensive activities.

Edit: There are some qualitative differences between different SSD technologies, but so far nobody has found a solution that entirely does away with the write-wear problems.

Fiendishrabbit on
    "The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Had another nice Saturday night doing maths with my fellow Division agents @Ghlinn @Pimsy and @Qanamil

We tried the PVE version of Survival DLC which is like a hybrid of a survival game and battle royale. Basically you crashed landed, lost your gear and became severely infected with it rapidly progressing towards sepsis thus you have an hour to scavenge up supplies, craft an antiviral filter to enter the dark zone, track down the antivirals, craft a flare gun and call a helo evac in order to escape get out. Compounded on this is the need for warmth (you came in the middle of a blizzard), food, water, (helps with health regen) and medicine to slow down the progress of the infection. Materials can be scavenged in the world or off killing enemies which were only random enemies in the PVE mode, and used at Hideouts to craft clothing, weapons, med packs, mods and skills.

The first checkpoint is getting a filter for the dark zone while the second and final is surviving waves of enemies as you wait for the copter to come pick you up. Course I make this sound all easy, we were puzzling this out and bumbling around until greed got us torn apart and I died to the virus after a random stranger revived me out of the goodness of his heart.

I'm sure we're ready for the PVP mode now.
    We'd probably die to the first player we came across.

Lots of fun and we'll probably do it again sometime. Alas it does give you any main campaign progress and the other modes are locked behind level 30.

Reminder to vote in this poll if you're interested in Sunday Night Gaming.

Karoz on
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Iolo wrote: »

RIP Horse.

It's actually just really tired and needed a nap ASAP. You can leave it dozing there and run off and five minutes later after it's all refreshed, you can whistle and they'll be right there again!

It's a good horse.

Oh that's good.

Pretty talented... My horse was napping underwater in a pool below a waterfall.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
This discussion has been closed.