As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Better get a babysitter cause we've got two tickets to the [GUN] show...

• Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    I do like the new KS7, but I don't see what it offers over my current 18.5 home defense 12 gauge.

Also yeah, if they're gonna go with that design, they need to make it in a .45 carbine and just call it the Pulse Rifle.

It really depends on whether one values bullpup form factor, a rails out of the box, and what's likely a nicer stock.

I read it as a second+ shotgun for someone that already has a more traditional and versatile shotgun and wants something different to add to the collection.

So...basically a Panzer Arms BP-12?

Granted, the KS7 has 2 extra shells per magazine...but I kinda like the look of the BP-12 a little more.

That's definitely got a more contemporary bullpup look. Can't say I disagree with you though I tend to be wary of box magazines and shotgun shells given stories of Saiga magazines deforming the shells if left stored.
    I mean I've got an H&R pardner pump, which is a knock of of the Rem870 down to the millimeter, and I outfitted it with an adjustable AR style grip and shoulder, found an 870 metal heat shield with ghost rings for $10 in a parts bin at my FLGS, and put an aluminum follower, new spring, and +1 adapter since the 18.5 barrel is a little short. I don't see what an extra $200 adds to that despite how much I love Kel-Tec.

All in I've got maybe $300 in it. I'm weird though, firearms that cost more than $500 seem like a foreign concept to me.

The whole KSG feels like a proof of concept still. I can see the appeal but it is in no way something I would consider a practical or rational purchase.

While my budget's upper limit is higher than yours, I have the same thing with a lot of modern semi-automatic rifles. No matter how neat something like an FN FS2000 is, the price premium over assembling my own AR-15 is such that I'd never consider actually buying one. It's not a hobby I'm inclined pay a premium on for things that seem interesting but are already covered by something else I already have.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    I held a 43x and a 48 today. I think the 43x might be a winner.

I’d like to shoot one first before I drop the cash on it, and let early adopters work out the kinks.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular
    There's a lot of cool stuff that was shown at Shot Show this year. I haven't had a chance to just do a YouTube marathon of all the coverage yet, but I have seen a few things I like.

Things I want: Mossberg nightstick, Draco

Things I need: range time and more ammo.

• matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    That Hi-Point C9 Tactical or whatever they plan on calling it with the threaded barrel is amazing. Put a $400 can on your $200 Hi-Point.

nibXTE7.png
    edited January 2019
    Agreed, I like the Hi Point Tactical. I think it's a step in the right direction for them and for their customer base. If you only have $300 or less to spend on a firearm for your personal defense you have a now pretty decent low priced option and $100 for a 500 round pack of Winchester white box from Walmart.

I'm going to get one just because I like it and I want to support a company looking to make their primary product better.

I liked the Geissele ARs that were shown at the range day too. I don't really have a read on the high end AR market though as far as what kind of room there is for their product. They said the patrol carbines they are building to market directly to LE are about $750 each and I have to imagine that is at least discounted somewhat.

NSDFRand on
  • SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    NSDFRand wrote: »
    Agreed, I like the Hi Point Tactical. I think it's a step in the right direction for them and for their customer base. If you only have $300 or less to spend on a firearm for your personal defense you have a now pretty decent low priced option and $100 for a 500 round pack of Winchester white box from Walmart.

I'm going to get one just because I like it and I want to support a company looking to make their primary product better.

I liked the Geissele ARs that were shown at the range day too. I don't really have a read on the high end AR market though as far as what kind of room there is for their product. They said the patrol carbines they are building to market directly to LE are about $750 each and I have to imagine that is at least discounted somewhat.

I think the Taurus Millennium G2 at $250 retail is actually a great gun. Iirc they're built at a different factory from Taurus' other QC woes, and I had a chance to put a mag through one at the range and it felt solid to me. It's a heavy, heavy CPL trigger but it went bang every time and the ergos aren't terrible.

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
    I’ll never endorse Taurus or the S&W Sigma, later to be rebranded the SDVE.

I’d rather go with a Hi-Point, Ruger American/Security, EAA SAR import, etc. for solid budget options.

Or police trade-in Glocks for $300.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    I speak for all of Taurus but my Raging Bull .44 was a fantastic gun at a great price.

Also now I'm saving up for a BP-12. Seems like a great gun to carry on the back of a quad/out in the woods working kind of thing.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    edited January 2019

I’d rather go with a Hi-Point, Ruger American/Security, EAA SAR import, etc. for solid budget options.

A Canik or a trade in Glock are probably worth the $50-$100

Hi-point? Nah

Anyways, it's a brand new gun for 250 bones

SummaryJudgment on
    Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    My grandfather has an old M1 carbine. He let me handle it today (shooting it was not an option)

Lot heavier than I expected. The sights are also terrible. Still cool.

edited January 2019
    My grandfather has an old M1 carbine. He let me handle it today (shooting it was not an option)

Lot heavier than I expected. The sights are also terrible. Still cool.

Like a lot of small arms of that era it's heavier than it really needs to be for the role it's filling. But that really comes down to limitation in materials. An infantry small arm that needs to be robust enough to withstand combat and be limited to steel and wood while chambered for a .30 cartridge is going to be a bit heavy. It might not seem like a lot but the weight difference between an M1 Garand (issued infantry rifle for the Army then) and the M4 (standard issue infantry carbine now) is something like 3-4 pounds. That gap starts closing of course when you start adding cool guy accessories like optics, PEQs, visible lights, VFGs, NOD optics on the rifle (if you're a unique cool guy who doesn't want to use the IR illuminator and the NODs on your headgear), M203 or M320, really cool stuff like a Mag Ready etc.

NSDFRand on

A Canik or a trade in Glock are probably worth the $50-$100

Hi-point? Nah

Anyways, it's a brand new gun for 250 bones

They might be worth the trade, but I do like that an individual can get a fairly robust handgun for ~$200 or carbine for ~$250. Hi-Point’s might look like a block of crap, but they have been shown they work, they have a warranty, I also like they are completely made in the US. Demolition Ranch’s video changed my opinion on them based what he put them through.

But, at the same time I think somebody is better off getting a police trade-in for cheap, unfortunately the majority of the cheaper ones are chambered in .40 S&W, which in my opinion is not a good round for a new shooter or somebody who can’t afford to shoot frequently.

• Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    I held a 43x and a 48 today. I think the 43x might be a winner.

I’d like to shoot one first before I drop the cash on it, and let early adopters work out the kinks.
    I think the only thing stopping me from being one of those early adopters is that I really don’t like the two-tone color scheme they went with. That silver slide just doesn’t do it for me at all.

Now, when they do an all black version I’m there.

Snake Gandhi on
  • Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    I'll never understand the Taurus hate. I've been firing a PT101 .40 for a decade and it's been a super reliable weapon. The thing simply refuses to fail to fire, is accurate, dependable, and fun to shoot. Plus I got it for $249 on sale at Academy.

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
    edited January 2019
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    I'll never understand the Taurus hate. I've been firing a PT101 .40 for a decade and it's been a super reliable weapon. The thing simply refuses to fail to fire, is accurate, dependable, and fun to shoot. Plus I got it for $249 on sale at Academy.

The recall on their pistols that when shaken, dropped, or trigger was pulled with safety on still discharged.

Then again, I have two P320’s that will discharge when they strike the slide and frame at a -30 degree angle or some shit.

Edit: also when I worked behind the gun counter I handled a lot of their pistols, never found the trigger or controls any good, but they were new so maybe they would loosen up with use and oil.

Dead Legend on
  • Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    How the hell did I not read about any of that before? Guess I lucked out grabbing one that is a Beretta clone.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Beretta's DA/SAs seem to be very safety-positive. Handled a PX4 Storm today and the safety mechanisms on that pistol are among the most idiot-proof I've ever seen without getting overly complex

• ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    Beretta's DA/SAs seem to be very safety-positive. Handled a PX4 Storm today and the safety mechanisms on that pistol are among the most idiot-proof I've ever seen without getting overly complex

Yeah, that was the first thing I did when I picked mine up: check every angle of the safety features. What I particular liked was pulling the safety switch physically rotates the firing pin away from anywhere near the hammer. It's actually the main reason why I refuse to switch over to the G-model stealth safety paddles (they convert the safety/decocker to decocker only)

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
    I actually prefer a decocker over a safety.

I only have a couple of pistols with safety’s, and aside from a .22, those rarely get shot.

Any one know some good websites for Curio and Relic guns?

• ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I actually prefer a decocker over a safety.

I only have a couple of pistols with safety’s, and aside from a .22, those rarely get shot.

I'm the opposite: give me all the safeties!

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    The first two semi auto pistols I ever fired were a Taurus and a Dove (SDVE) and I hated both of them.

I think for the money Canik makes one of the best pistols out there. I also agree after the Demolition Ranch video my opinion of the Hi Point changed, but I still don't like the idea of what Matt called a "truck gun, that you wouldn't be upset if it was stolen" (personal issues, not relevant, but it affects my interest)

In gun news, I traded the Glock back to my buddy for my .308. He brought it to the range this past weekend where we took some coworkers shooting and he was going to sell it soon and I just missed it. It's my first LONG range rifle I built custom to me and I had to have it back, plus he missed his Glock, so it was good times.

I've decided I'm just not a handgun person. I still want either a Colt Walker or Remington Army replica with a drop in cartridge cylinder at some point but past that I feel more secure at home and in the woods with a shotgun or a lever action or my long rifle.

It's probably the cross dominance in my aim (left eye dominant and right handed shooting) that affects it but I just still, after thousands of rounds, never feel confident about the target I'm aiming at with a pistol, which is like Gun101.

Meanwhile give me a lever action 44 and I can shoot soda bottles all day.

are YOU on the beer list?
    I guess the time of the cheap Mauser and Sks is past, huh? Can't really find them any where.

I guess the time of the cheap Mauser and Sks is past, huh? Can't really find them any where.

For the most part milsurp is no longer the "Hey I have $200 lying around let's go buy a few rifles". The milsurp ammo isn't really cheap anymore either for a variety of reasons (dumb import bans, conflicts in which the parties involved actively use those cartridges, supplies running dry, in country middle men getting the internet and deciding they want a higher profit margin etc.).

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Some videos from Shotshow with some neato stuff. I'd been meaning to post these up as they appeared but I've been phone posting for the most part.

Franklin Armory had the laughable Reformation smoothbore AR last year, for which they were memed on. This has hurt their feelings and they're blacklisted a few different sites. Their thing this year is a "non-semiautomatic semiautomatic". The secret sauce is likely that the trigger pull also runs the bolt.

A very 40k looking gun. Voiceover is from Hitchhikers' Guide to the Galaxy.
    https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2019/01/23/shot-2019-armamentos-22lr-ak-conversion-kit/
    Big fan of 22lr kits.

Not such a big fan of the single tube Kel-Tec shotgun.
    Not so many things that caught my eye this time. Though I'm sure there's a few more gems out there.

RE Franklin Armory: I think what they're trying to do shows that manufacturers are going to try to adapt to what the market wants, and I think the market increasingly wants short-barreled rifles and thinks the NFA process is unnecessarily burdensome or arbitrary. I think is also why the pistol braces and blades have been selling.

I think their new project is interesting and I wonder what kind of market there will be for it.

The NFA process is unnecessarily burdensome and arbitrary. Wish manufacturers would lobby for its removal.

• wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular

Empire Arms

Pardon their 1990 era website; they have really great stuff. Be sure to sign up for their mailing list so you can shop each new inventory acquirement before they get offered on the general website. If there's something in particular you're looking for, you can also put in requests.

• matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    The NFA process is unnecessarily burdensome and arbitrary. Wish manufacturers would lobby for its removal.

When e-file came back recently people were getting stamps in a month or less. People who'd paper filed a year+ ago were still waiting.

nibXTE7.png
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    wonderpug wrote: »

Empire Arms

Pardon their 1990 era website; they have really great stuff. Be sure to sign up for their mailing list so you can shop each new inventory acquirement before they get offered on the general website. If there's something in particular you're looking for, you can also put in requests.

IMA-USA is also good after their early 2000s acquisition of the trove of pre-1900s firearms in Nepal.

Everything from Brown Bess Muskets to Civil War Springfields.

are YOU on the beer list?
    wonderpug wrote: »

Empire Arms

IMA-USA is also good after their early 2000s acquisition of the trove of pre-1900s firearms in Nepal.

Everything from Brown Bess Muskets to Civil War Springfields.

That's to old for my tastes.

Again, was looking for a nice Mauser, Lee Enfield or Sks.

Went shooting today again. Shot a FN SCAR H (7.62 NATO), a Sig Sauer in .300 Blackout and a .357 magnum.

I did not like shooting 7.62, and I could see how .357 would ware me out fast.

.300 Blackout was really fun however.

edited February 2019
    The SCAR is a cool AR alternative, but it is just way too expensive to justify when it only takes a few steps forward from the AR platform but also takes at least one step backwards. My opinion used to be that the AR platform was so ubiquitous solely because it's cheap to produce and the market has exploded making it much more prevalent of a firearm in the US and that DoD hasn't replaced it outright with other options (like the XM8 back in the day) for many of the long argued reasons from other internet commentators. But really I think the AR platform is just doing a whole lot of stuff right despite a lot of the fudd-lore about how the AR works, it's reliability, the 5.56 cartridge etc. I know it's an extremely reliable platform because I've been issued 30 year old refurbished M16s and they ran right out of the arms room and kept running and didn't fail outside of situations where other platforms also would have failed (like firing blank cartridges, for example).

That doesn't mean I won't purchase more expensive alternatives, like my Arsenal AK74 clone, or my PTR91, or even my Mini 14. But I think the AR is still "king" because even a small boutique manufacturer can make complete rifles with a retail price of $350-400 and the risk of it exploding in your face is not any worse than a Colt, S&W, Armalite, or Ruger exploding in your face. But with other platforms, like the AK, it seems like it's difficult to get it right at a competitive price point, completely made in the US, and available in desired quantities. Century has tried to do the "American Made AK" and it's led to a lot of rifles being released on the market with quality control issues which put users in serious danger of injury from catastrophic failure of the weapon. PSA is doing the PSAK and it looks promising but I don't think they've gotten to the point of mass manufacture yet. Kel Tec, my home town favorite, has some really cool alternatives to the AR like the RDB and the RFB but I have literally never seen one in person at a gun shop because Kel Tec primarily pumps out their handgun lines, and you're paying the bullpup tax with those too.

Online sales has mitigated the availability issue to an extent. Like I can order an RDB shipped to a local FFL, but I don't imagine most buyers especially first time buyers, are doing FFL transfers. Most are buying what is in stock in store I think. But even with online sales the AR is still ahead of the pack on price and availability with the option to have multiple uppers for one lower, 80% lowers, 100% stripped lowers etc.

NSDFRand on
    I’d love to own a SCAR but would rather get a legitimate FAL

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

Honestly if I was looking at owning a real semi-automatic rifle it would be an AuSteyr F90, but if I want one of those I have to go join the Australian Army...

Honestly if I was looking at owning a real semi-automatic rifle it would be an AuSteyr F90, but if I want one of those I have to go join the Australian Army...

Bullpups just don’t do it for me. And I do have an FAL from DS Arms, but would love to own an FN.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I wish the FN2000 wasnt so expensive. I love it but can't justify $2000 on a toy.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    Well, after heming and hawing over it I finally ordered my 1911. I went with a Springfield TRP, black with the rail. It should be waiting for me at my local shop when I get home from my run at the end of the month. Now I’ve got a month to also order a light for it, some magazines, and find a good deal on some .45 ammo. Besides being a range toy this is going to be my ‘truck gun’, ie the gun I keep in a portable safe in my semi so I’ve got something on hand just in case some shit goes down in some of the sketchy places I’m forced to park sometimes.

The light is going to be a Surefire, either an x300 Ultra or maybe an X400 because I’ve never tried a laser before, and it’s already a heavy gun so why not go with a big freaking light? I’ve been looking at a couple different online ammo places for a good deal on some .45 FMJ. Gonna try and get a 1000rd case of something cheap and decent, like maybe American Eagle 230gr, and then a couple hundred rounds of a good JHP like Federal. The mags are going to be the annoying part. I’m used to just buying OEM magazines, but it seems that’s not really a thing with 1911’s. I’ve heard a lot of good things about Wilson Combat and Chip McCormick mags so I’ll order like 2 each and see how they run.

free shipping from target sports USA if you order a case.

I’d like to do prime with them and see if it’s worth it. They apparently refund you the difference of your membership if your savings don’t equal the cost ($95). About 3/4 of the way through your membership they send you a package of ammo you commonly order and some other swag. Free shipping on any non-case order you make.

But I just ordered a bunch of ammo so I’m good for right now. Used to be able to get Federal HST’s in the 50 round boxes for 20-25 from Bone Frog Gun Club but Federal put the stop to that if you’re not law-enforcement or a qualified customer. Pretty shitty.

Still have a local source for that though, but it’s a drive. My typical process whenever I acquire a new handgun is to run a box or two of carry ammo through it and then whenever I go to the range put the mag that’s in it downrange, so I tend to shoot those loads more frequently than most since I’m not hampered by the $1+ round cost retailers sell the small boxes for.