As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Penny Arcade - Comic - Essentially

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited February 2019 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Essentially

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• sawellssawells Registered User regular
    "Life is short, take advantage of people" by Jonathan Gabriel...

Twitter: @EssayWells
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I totally don't get panel 3 at all.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »

Essential oils is an amway style scam of getting people to think they can make money by selling almost literal snake oil to their facebook friends.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I think I may be over the whole Battle Royale thing. I guess the devs over at Respawn are supposed to announce some sort of BR game today? Maybe if it's Titanfall themed, that might be neat.

As dumb as it sounds, I'd love a BR game I could play by myself. Like, I'd still be playing Fortnite right now if I could load up a game vs 99 AI opponents instead of these coked up kids that can build some giant skyscraper in 0.28 seconds...

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    9wsjjhay3t2r.png

• MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    Oh hun, Jerry could quit his grueling job and be a #bossbabe making money from home and living his best life.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • orthancstoneorthancstone TexasRegistered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    As dumb as it sounds, I'd love a BR game I could play by myself. Like, I'd still be playing Fortnite right now if I could load up a game vs 99 AI opponents instead of these coked up kids that can build some giant skyscraper in 0.28 seconds...

Sounds much like the 3v40 AI terrorist hunts my buddies and I used to do in Rainbow Six. Single shot kill ruleset and you are good to go.

PAX South 2018 - Jan 12-14!
    Pins!
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Oh hun, Jerry could quit his grueling job and be a #bossbabe making money from home and living his best life.

I thought that was more a unique or however they spell it make up amway scam.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • JackJack Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    I think I may be over the whole Battle Royale thing. I guess the devs over at Respawn are supposed to announce some sort of BR game today? Maybe if it's Titanfall themed, that might be neat.

Makes sense to me. What's weird is my desire to play 4X games in single-player with no human or AI opponents at all so that I can just explore and build stuff.

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I think there's more than one MLM essential oils scam, but the one that comes to mind is Doterra. Worst thing is seeing people cook with it or put it in people's drinks, not realizing you could really hurt someone by tricking them into ingesting those oils! Like you can't dilute lemon oil by putting it in water, oil and water don't mix, so people just get chemical burns in their mouth by drinking undiluted lemon oil. #bossbabe #bestlife #sidehustle

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • ZomagicZomagic Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Preacher wrote: »

Essential oils is an amway style scam of getting people to think they can make money by selling almost literal snake oil to their facebook friends.
    Cambiata wrote: »
    I think there's more than one MLM essential oils scam, but the one that comes to mind is Doterra. Worst thing is seeing people cook with it or put it in people's drinks, not realizing you could really hurt someone by tricking them into ingesting those oils! Like you can't dilute lemon oil by putting it in water, oil and water don't mix, so people just get chemical burns in their mouth by drinking undiluted lemon oil. #bossbabe #bestlife #sidehustle

Let's be fair here. Essential oils are a product. There's nothing scammy about essential oils themselves. They're used for flavorings and scents and sometimes therapeutic stuff. They are not snake oil; the most well-reviewed and extremely highly rated eczema/ psoriasis relief cream on amazon actually owes its efficacy to essential oils. And it's not even marketed that way, it's just that if you flip the label over, and read the ingredients, it's the only thing that really distinguishes it from any other skin lotion. There's a whole bunch of people on there going, "Well, shit, this stuff cleared up that thing that nothing else has even helped with." I'm now one of those people, having suffered mild psoriasis since I was a teenager, and now there's no patches anywhere other than my scalp. And I'm 37, so I've been through probably a metric ton of lotions. I didn't buy this stuff because I'm a hippie dippy moron who wants peppermint, lavender, and rosemary oil instead of topical steroids (tried that, didn't really work) because green the earth bawww chemicaaals, and herpa derp derp. I bought it because like a five thousand people were wowed enough to leave reviews and horrifying side-by-side images that made my psoriasis look like a JOKE. My curiosity about what made this product better than all the other lotions I've bought lead me into the essential oil rabbit hole, and plenty of them have been studied more than adequately to make a convincing case for therapeutic use. In short, saying essential oils are a scam because they're involved in some dirtbag's MLM marketing garbage is like saying laundry detergent is a scam because Amway sells it.

...I usually don't like to toss my hat into controversial things, but being flippant about what we're attacking here might cause someone to write off a thing that may help them. Something that helped me, albeit in the form of a cosmetic that was formulated by someone who probably knows more about the proper therapeutic concentrations than me, or any soccer mom selling the raw ingredients. But I still have to pipe up, because if we make essential oils the joke, someone might take a pass on something that could help them. I can't stand for that.

The joke is selling essential oils, because some douche decided they'd be good for multi-level marketing, not the oils themselves.

Zomagic on
  • PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Apparently that "Titanfall-themed" one lacks robots and vertical movement.

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    PLA wrote: »
    Apparently that "Titanfall-themed" one lacks robots and vertical movement.

Still pretty well received so far, surprisingly.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    Zomagic wrote: »
    The joke is selling essential oils, because some douche decided they'd be good for multi-level marketing, not the oils themselves.

While I think what you said in the previous part of your post is great, I think this summation is what the other posters were really saying. Just because something is a good thing in one context doesn't mean it's not snake oil in another context. One-a-day vitamins are basically snake oil for most normal people. I, on the other hand, have a condition that depletes my Vitamin D stores. For me, taking Vitamin D is a necessity.

• GDT1985GDT1985 Registered User regular

Let's be fair here. Essential oils are a product. There's nothing scammy about essential oils themselves. They're used for flavorings and scents and sometimes therapeutic stuff. They are not snake oil; the most well-reviewed and extremely highly rated eczema/ psoriasis relief cream on amazon actually owes its efficacy to essential oils. And it's not even marketed that way, it's just that if you flip the label over, and read the ingredients, it's the only thing that really distinguishes it from any other skin lotion. There's a whole bunch of people on there going, "Well, shit, this stuff cleared up that thing that nothing else has even helped with." I'm now one of those people, having suffered mild psoriasis since I was a teenager, and now there's no patches anywhere other than my scalp. And I'm 37, so I've been through probably a metric ton of lotions. I didn't buy this stuff because I'm a hippie dippy moron who wants peppermint, lavender, and rosemary oil instead of topical steroids (tried that, didn't really work) because green the earth bawww chemicaaals, and herpa derp derp. I bought it because like a five thousand people were wowed enough to leave reviews and horrifying side-by-side images that made my psoriasis look like a JOKE. My curiosity about what made this product better than all the other lotions I've bought lead me into the essential oil rabbit hole, and plenty of them have been studied more than adequately to make a convincing case for therapeutic use. In short, saying essential oils are a scam because they're involved in some dirtbag's MLM marketing garbage is like saying laundry detergent is a scam because Amway sells it.

...I usually don't like to toss my hat into controversial things, but being flippant about what we're attacking here might cause someone to write off a thing that may help them. Something that helped me, albeit in the form of a cosmetic that was formulated by someone who probably knows more about the proper therapeutic concentrations than me, or any soccer mom selling the raw ingredients. But I still have to pipe up, because if we make essential oils the joke, someone might take a pass on something that could help them. I can't stand for that.

As a psoriasis sufferer, mind telling me what product you are talking about?

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular

The snake oil stuff comes in when the #bossbabes start talking about things that essential oils can't cure. They're also, unfortunately, a favorite of anti-vaxxers. ("don't take a flu shot, just use doTerra On Guard!" or whatever). So yeah they may not be a problem in themselves, but MLMs are scams and the people who are drawn into those scams are made to believe a lot of rubbish in the name of sales.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
    GDT1985 wrote: »

As a psoriasis sufferer, mind telling me what product you are talking about?

I don't know if I can link things here in such a manner, but it's first result if you search "mother of all creams" on there. I know what it's like having to root around buying a million things until you find that thing that works, so I hope that's helpful. :)

The snake oil stuff comes in when the #bossbabes start talking about things that essential oils can't cure. They're also, unfortunately, a favorite of anti-vaxxers. ("don't take a flu shot, just use doTerra On Guard!" or whatever). So yeah they may not be a problem in themselves, but MLMs are scams and the people who are drawn into those scams are made to believe a lot of rubbish in the name of sales.

I'm totally aware of that, but that's why I feel it's important to bring it up. Because when people start doing things like that, others can start writing the products off entirely due to that association. There's nothing wrong with using peppermint oil when you have a cold, though, if you prefer the smell of it to straight menthol. (And who doesn't?) But yeah, everyone should def. get a flu shot if they can, and not think sticking tea tree oil up their nostrils or whatever is gonna keep them safe.

edited March 2019
    Dammit, sorry for this post, I hit the wrong button.

Zomagic on