As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

From the ashes of Titanfall rises [Apex Legends]

LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stewWhen it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
edited March 2019 in Social Entropy++
Apex Legends is Respawn's brand new lovechild of Overwatch and the battle royale genre. It's a Free to Play hero and squad based FPS set 30 years after the events of Titanfall 2.The F2P comes in the form of having to unlock characters(2 of the 8 right now) as well as Apex Packs full of cosmetics. It's not quite as mobile as Titanfall as there is no double jump or wall ride but you can slide, jump through windows and even climb up the sides of buildings. The pathfinder has the grappling hook and the ability to create ziplines. There are no titans as well. It is available now on Origin, PS4 and Xbox One and does not have cross play at launch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=innmNewjkuk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEReUkZjjN4

Here is a good interactive map for determining the loot zones,etc.
http://apexlegendsmap.net
A good guide for all skill levels:
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/02/12/apex-legends-guide-beginners-guide-and-advanced-apex-legends-tips-and-tricks/

Post your usernames/platform if you're interested in squading it up.
Format is Forum Name: Platform Username

Origin:
Duke 2.0: BlindDuke
BeefAvenger: Robo_Wizard2
JayKaos: JayKaos2
Lasbrook: Lasbrook88
Peewi: Peewi
Timspork's Ghost: timspork
MyNameIsWalrus: ConfusedWalrus
Olivaw: DetectiveOlivaw
WheatBun01: WheatBunOnSwiss
MrGrimoire: Grimoire
Jasconius: jasconius87
Moriveth: Moriveth
Tonkka: Tonkkatuff
Jman711: JMan71183
Inquisitor: Winter_Flea
Bucketman: bucketman86
Wombat!!: WombatPA
Veldrin: The Grey Davis
MrMonroe: BillMonroe
Ginger_Mijango: Ginger_Mijango
Lord_Asmodeus: I3rigand
Vivixenne: NovaDelphiniX
TankHammer: ProtonTankHammer
Theodore Floosevelt: Mitchapaloozaa

PS4:
Lasbrook: Lasbrook
hatedinamerica: captaindino
Moriveth: Moriveth
Poorochondriac: Poorochondriac
A Dabble of Thelonious: Talonious Monk
Durandal4532: ScrimpScampi
Jman711: JMan71183
#Pipe: hashpipe_canada
RaijinQuickfoot: RaijinQ
Phasen: PhasenWeeple
Fearghail: Fearghaill
Veldrin: Sechael
Ceno: Genesius_Prime
Halos Nach Tariff: Halos_Lucentia
crwth: jnco_de_mayo

Xbox:
Peen: tw1tch0rz
the Cheat: the cheat32
Hobnail: Stump Chudd
Owenashi: Owenashi
Crippl3: cooldrew100
Theodore Floosevelt: Mitchapaloozaa

Lasbrook on

• JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    JayKaos2 on Origin, though I may not get a chance to play until tomorrow night.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    Playing this now, BeefAvenger on Origin

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    I'm playing right now. Origin name is Peewi.
    Playing this now, BeefAvenger on Origin

I added you.

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    No wall running?

Dang what the hell

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I like the style...

But are there titans?

Or is this like going from EarthSiege to StarSiege to Starsiege: Tribes to Tribes 2 and losing the mechs?

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    BlindDuke on Origin

watching videos of gameplay makes me leery. The weapons don't look like they quite handle like in Titanfall. Or maybe I'm so used to seeing them being used at 50 miles an hour flying through the air while a giant robot is spewing thermite everywhere so seeing them being used on the ground is weird.

VRXwDW7.png
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    I like the style...

But are there titans?

Or is this like going from EarthSiege to StarSiege to Starsiege: Tribes to Tribes 2 and losing the mechs?

there are no titans, wall runnings or double jumps

BahamutZERO.gif
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I like the style...

But are there titans?

there are no titans, wall runnings or double jumps

Yeah, just read the polygon article. Glad they admit that the Titan gameplay took away from the feel they were going for, but man would a battle royale game with mechs be cool.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »
    BlindDuke on Origin

watching videos of gameplay makes me leery. The weapons don't look like they quite handle like in Titanfall. Or maybe I'm so used to seeing them being used at 50 miles an hour flying through the air while a giant robot is spewing thermite everywhere so seeing them being used on the ground is weird.

I haven't actually played Titanfall in a while, but the guns feel like how I remember them.

Looking at the environments, they are using the assets of the Titanfall games for environmental clutter. And it is starkly clear those assets were made for a character that could wallrun originally.

VRXwDW7.png
    I'm playing with BeefAvenger. Someone come fill out our team.

The G&T thread seems fairly down on the game.

I haven't played an EA game released this decade, so I really have no point to judge. But man... it kind of reminds me of the talk about Star Wars games and wanting to be jedi that I saw in one of these threads.

Wraith runs like a Naruto.

• WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Remember, the game could totally evolve anyways

Fortnite has planes now

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I'm going to give this a shot, and it's entirely possible I'll have a great time, but boy I really wanted Titanfall 3 and it's astounding how EA continues to fail to capitalize on any good they accidentally do

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I'm going to give this a shot, and it's entirely possible I'll have a great time, but boy I really wanted Titanfall 3 and it's astounding how EA continues to fail to capitalize on any good they accidentally do

Respawn apparently says this game was 100% their idea, so I'm not sure EA is to blame here.

• ZekZek Registered User regular
    The G&T thread seems fairly down on the game.

I haven't played an EA game released this decade, so I really have no point to judge. But man... it kind of reminds me of the talk about Star Wars games and wanting to be jedi that I saw in one of these threads.

Fans of Titanfall are not happy about it. Word is Titanfall 3 was cancelled for this.

But it's not Titanfall BR, it's an original game that happens to be set in that universe (which it probably shouldn't have been tbh, but who cares).

Giant Bomb put up a video they recorded before the launch: https://www.giantbomb.com/shows/apex-legends-its-actually-finished/2970-18755

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

Respawn apparently says this game was 100% their idea, so I'm not sure EA is to blame here.

Well then I stand corrected and I'll say I'm personally very disappointed but if this turns out to be a good move for them then, you know, all the best I guess. I respect their work

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    timspork on origin/pc

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

I'm really liking this game. It does seem preeetty similar to Black Ops 4, though.

• LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    As someone who only has PUBG as a frame of reference there are some smart upgrades like trying to pickup an armor upgrade you have/have better of just tells you "hey you don't need this". The pinging system when you're not hitting the wrong button and marking loot as enemies is pretty nice.

Also like PUBG I am terrible at it.

The inventory in particular looks similar to Blackout, with the two guns shown clearly with two rows of item slots below.

Sliding down hills is fun.

I like the ping system and all the automated callouts. If you mouse over the ammo type icon on your gun in the inventory you can do a callout for needing that ammo type.

I want to play more, but the PC version is down.

• LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Peewi wrote: »
    The inventory in particular looks similar to Blackout, with the two guns shown clearly with two rows of item slots below.

Sliding down hills is fun.

I like the ping system and all the automated callouts. If you mouse over the ammo type icon on your gun in the inventory you can do a callout for needing that ammo type.

I want to play more, but the PC version is down.

See, I want to agree with you because I had the same thing you did, yet I am watching Giant Bomb play it right now so ???

Actually they're not on PC so nevermind me.

Lasbrook on
  • MyNameIsWalrusMyNameIsWalrus Registered User regular
    I'm ConfusedWalrus on Origin.

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I'm tw1tch0rz on Xbox, I'll be giving this a shot later tonight

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Yo.

This game is fun.

Also sorry Lasbrook. I was in the end of a game and had to get off after that when I saw your invite.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

Playing through the tutorial and weapon range and hooooo boy these weapons

Wingman still strong feeling, Mozambique has only three shots per clip so it's less the stream of fat bullets like in Titanfall 2, and the Flatline does not have the weird horizontal kick so it's not the Flatline at all. Doubletake being replaced with the Tripletake is hilarious.

The slide feels real weird against my muscle memory from Titanfall 2, probably going to spend this game bumping into walls.

VRXwDW7.png
    I desperately need a mic.

Kind of important thing the tutorial doesn't tell you: if you hold jump you can climb walls.

Played enough to get the hang of it and get a couple kills. Definitely feels slower than Titanfall, and still seems to come down to the snipe-fests by the end of the game, but I'm liking it so far. And it still has the grappling hook so.

• OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    I'm DetectiveOlivaw on Origin, I'll probably be trying this out for a week or two

Consider me skeptical/irritated that in a game set in the Titanfall universe, there are no titans or wall-running, the two literal defining characteristics of Titanfall, and the fact that they're coming out and saying that this is what they made instead of Titanfall 3 is a huge, huge bummer

Without the hooks of what Titanfall is, even though it's free-to-play I have my doubts that this is going to find any significant purchase in a crowded marketplace. It'll probably be just another mark against Respawn that EA can use to eventually downsize them... but I'll support Respawn as best I can, because damn it they're putting out good games and trying their best

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
    Also those balloon things have a cable you can ride all the way up and then glide from there.

• PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    I played a bit of this, it seems neat, but I just don't have a battle-royale-shaped hole in my life. BO4 is scratching my general multiplayer itch, but I don't have the patience for the BR genre.

That said, I hope this does well for Respawn. I love Titanfall 2, but I'd accepted long ago that a follow-up was improbable.

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I want to try this on PS4 but my PS4 is having audio bugs again where it keeps cutting out every minute or so for like 10 seconds.

• WheatBun01WheatBun01 Face It, Tiger Registered User regular
    I'm on Origin as WheatBunOnSwiss, I could see this being fun if I played with other folks but the 3-4 games I played with randos felt like us getting torn to shreds by people actually coordinating.

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    this game looks interesting i might give it a try... i'm not familiar at titanfall at all. but this game at least at a glance appears to break a few BR cliches in a way that I like

- Seems like more urban environments, and the rural bits seem to be less "giant open grainfield that is also a graveyard for sniping victims"
    - Revival of teammates
    - Class abilities give you a teensy bit of agency even if you don't find the guns you want

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    played this for an hour or two last night

If they eventually add a solo queue I will be all in on this game

As it is, being tied to a bunch of strangers being required for success kills it for me

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Can they please add a class that has the passive of double jump and an active of wall run pleaaaaaassssee

played this for an hour or two last night

If they eventually add a solo queue I will be all in on this game

As it is, being tied to a bunch of strangers being required for success kills it for me

You could be tied to fellow forumers for success*.

*I don't promise this will actually improve your chances of success.

• MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Pixflare Registered User regular
    I'm Grimoire on Origin and currently downloading this. Honestly don't know how much I'll play, but I like TF's guns so it's worth a try at least.