As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

You tube I tube we all tube for [youtube]

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    el_vicio wrote: »
    I never got Cicierega's stuff tbh

like any of his stuff or just his music?

His music is using mash-up/remix as a medium for jokes, specifically absurdist juxtaposition - seamlessly conflating two or more wildly thematically different pieces of music or remixing a song to make it wildly thematically different to the original. I guess if that doesn't click for you that's fine, but there is also an incredible amount of skill in the music he makes. They're jokes, but they're expertly created which makes them unironically listenable. I almost universally hate mashups because they're lazy and they don't improve on or bring anything new to the component parts. Niel C's work is exactly the opposite. They're anything but lazy, they're musically coherent and they bring a new element - humor.

Most of his other work is purely absurdist, with the added layer of the aforementioned skill. Brodyquest is, at it's heart, just a silly gag that goes longer than you expect. But the quality of the editing, the comedic timing, the catchiness of the music, the detail, all make it more refined than your usual random humor.

This concludes my Niel C video essay.

seriously, though, if you watch say, his Races of Star Trek video, full in the knowledge that this is some silly nonsense that means nothing, try to appreciate the pinpoint accuracy and thoughtfulness of the writing, the perfect dryness of the delivery, how the crappy production lifts the authenticity of the whole thing, how it evokes a fan trying to ingratiate themselves to a specific audience by appearing more knowledgeable than they are, how that in itself is a ridiculous concept. He's a genius at making things that are completely stupid.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2XOLoeBPEk

• Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Rule breaker is forever my favorite sfm video

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »
    el_vicio wrote: »
    I never got Cicierega's stuff tbh

like any of his stuff or just his music?

His music is using mash-up/remix as a medium for jokes, specifically absurdist juxtaposition - seamlessly conflating two or more wildly thematically different pieces of music or remixing a song to make it wildly thematically different to the original. I guess if that doesn't click for you that's fine, but there is also an incredible amount of skill in the music he makes. They're jokes, but they're expertly created which makes them unironically listenable. I almost universally hate mashups because they're lazy and they don't improve on or bring anything new to the component parts. Niel C's work is exactly the opposite. They're anything but lazy, they're musically coherent and they bring a new element - humor.

Most of his other work is purely absurdist, with the added layer of the aforementioned skill. Brodyquest is, at it's heart, just a silly gag that goes longer than you expect. But the quality of the editing, the comedic timing, the catchiness of the music, the detail, all make it more refined than your usual random humor.

This concludes my Niel C video essay.

seriously, though, if you watch say, his Races of Star Trek video, full in the knowledge that this is some silly nonsense that means nothing, try to appreciate the pinpoint accuracy and thoughtfulness of the writing, the perfect dryness of the delivery, how the crappy production lifts the authenticity of the whole thing, how it evokes a fan trying to ingratiate themselves to a specific audience by appearing more knowledgeable than they are, how that in itself is a ridiculous concept. He's a genius at making things that are completely stupid.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2XOLoeBPEk

I was talking about his music, yeah. I remember when his mouthsounds thing came out, and/or the Allstar album, and I understood that there is a very intelligent person doing clever musical things, I just did not enjoy listening to them. I haven't seen what he does besides that though, so maybe that resonates more with me

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• DeansDeans Registered User regular
  • Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Remember Lemon Demon, of Ultimate Showdown of Ultimate Destiny?

That was Neil C!

• DeansDeans Registered User regular
    Remember Potter Puppet Pals?

Neil C again!

• CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    He also did Hyakugojyuuichi!!! which was the very first funny website video I ever set my eyes upon.

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    What's Dylan grillin?

Tip to toe that's a Neil C

• Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    Oh god I thought they'd killed wndrwll...

brave souls reupload it every time it's taken down

braver than the troops, god bless

• milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Remember Lemon Demon, of Ultimate Showdown of Ultimate Destiny?

That was Neil C!

I saw a video of that performed live and it was by far the worst live performance of any song I've ever seen, including live performances of autotuned raps with multiple layers at once.

I ate an engineer
  • Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    neil c is a fascinating dude from a creative standpoint

• CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    I once had a dream where Neil Cicierega was being a real jerk to me as a performance art part of his concert but he took it to far and I suspected he was just a real jerk deep down in his heart.

I still hope that is not true.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
  • Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    that good good Pat/Simone/BDG Polygon content
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2z8l9k38mk

• YoshisummonsYoshisummons You have to let the dead vote, otherwise you'd just kill people you disagree with!Registered User regular
  • PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »

Did these dudes lose a bet with a baby boomer and have to make this sketch?

Mwx884o.jpg
    Brainleech wrote: »

Did these dudes lose a bet with a baby boomer and have to make this sketch?

It's his whole channel making fun of life in the Army

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Whelp. Writing's been on the wall for quite a while now, but Screw Attack has officially rebranded to the "Death Battle Channel."

I never really got huge into Screw Attack. They were always.. there, ya know? And I don't really think Game Attack is my speed, though I honestly enjoy Craig's earnestness.

.. I cannot tell if Fullscreen/RT and Game Attack are on good terms...

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Jacques L'HommeJacques L'Homme BAH! He was a rank amateur compared to, DR. COLOSSUS!Registered User regular
    Duck Shoes will always stand in my mind at the pinnacle of SFM glory.
    https://youtu.be/HCdn0zg6NDM

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »

I have watched wndrwll one hundred times, and one hundred times I have forgotten about the ending. It is always a shock and a delight.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    neil c is a fascinating dude from a creative standpoint

If you take every webpage on the internet, stack them by when they were created and slice through it like a cake, the cross section would be an image of Neil's face.

• PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I'm very sad that the song did not end with the new Pepsi logo's final form.

k6bz5tcz2dah.png

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wO6uD3c2qMo
    Philosophy Tube examines the tactics of Steve Bannon

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePsW0wEtKt8

That's a really good childrens dance troupe they've put together for this video.

Add that to the list of "compliments I didn't expect to hand out".

euj90n71sojo.png
  • CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular

"Generous business model" of taking a cut for running a website with text and images

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    This is a smart move for Patreon tbh. Offering fulfillment and other services at scale for an increased cut is a very good thing for creators. I think a lot of people underestimate how complicated that shit is.

Patreon are also notable for being the only major tech company to flat out say "we will not allow nazis on this platform, even if they pretend that they are not nazis" which I don't know, should be minimum standard maybe but no one else fucking does it. They have a line of credit with me.

• milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    I still find it fucking wild that the Nazis straight up made a site called Hatereon and the freeze peach folks still defended it.

I ate an engineer
  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    i don't see how patreon's model isn't "sustainable" as is. seems like a pretty good model really.

these things they're adding might be good and useful for creators, i won't make a value judgement there as someone who doesn't know.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    Patreon definitely want to pivot towards offering an enterprise model, and there's a ton of options for them to do that. A complicated Patreon offering like Club PA, for example, requires a lot of development time. Saying "Hey, for a higher cut our developers who are the world's leading expert on the Patreon API will do that for you" would be an extremely attractive offer to a lot of businesses. PA is literally on top of a fulfillment operation and our physical rewards are still extremely complicated, if Patreon starts offering fulfillment/storage for physical rewards (they definitely, definitely will) people will absolutely get huge value from that. If that fulfillment offering also comes with a merch designer or some kind of teespring affair? Anyone who doesn't have a full time design staff will jump at that. Patreon can also do all of these things at a scale that allows an efficiency that a private business is unlikely to be able to match.

This is pretty bog standard SaaS stuff, and it doesn't have to mean changes for the average creator. Essentially the larger ticket creators pay more to subsidise the smaller scale creators (who I suspect are often operating at a loss for Patreon).

Disclaimer: no insider knowledge, this is me spitballing.

• CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    I still find it fucking wild that the Nazis straight up made a site called Hatereon and the freeze peach folks still defended it.
    Last month Jordan Peterson deleted his Patreon that was making one million dollars a year to protest Sargon being banned for literally shouting the n word. Truly mind boggling.

It's a shame that the internet is, at least in some ways, not necessarily delivering the power to independent creators and artists that it was assumed it would, at least not to the extent that it was assumed it would.

I remember growing up that the internet was billed as a place where anyone could create anything, basically, and to some degree that's proven to be true (good and bad implications apply) but we've also seen a wildly shrinking landscape of places where artists and creative types can be seen on their own terms, just as we've seen various kinds of media sharing platforms explode in popularity.

I'm having a lot of trouble articulating the ultimate point I'm trying to make here, this is really frustrating :/

This discussion has been closed.