As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Whatever happened to the [TV] Thread?

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Tube wrote: »
    oh man I'm so happy they brought up the energy vampire concept, that's fucking dope. That was a big thing of the like "vampires are totally real and I am one" geocities sites of the 90s

A former friend of mine once accused me of being an energy vampire like seven years ago and honestly I still haven't stopped laughing

i am legitimately surprised you didn't take it as a compliment

Energy vampires are the dweebs of the vampire world and everyone knows it

Being an energy vampire is almost worse than not being a vampire at all

of course

of course this is your objection

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Ah yes.
    "I'm a parasite, but i'm not a nerd."

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Listen I want to be a vampire so I can be cool and beautiful forever, not just to make the people around me have a kind of shitty day

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Nevermind

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I recently re-read Y and there are a lot of bits that have not aged well (the r-word gets thrown out a LOT in the first half of the book, for example) but I still really liked it and am very excited for the show, doubly so if they update those problematic bits for a 2020 audience

CYpGAPn.png
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    man, comics writers loved the r-word in the mid aughts

I recently re-read Crooked Little Vein and it's in there a bunch

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    man, comics writers loved the r-word in the mid aughts

I recently re-read Crooked Little Vein and it's in there a bunch
    A whole lot of people did, as I've discovered revisiting basically any "mature" media from that period

It sucks!

CYpGAPn.png
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    I had the same kind of shock watching In Bruges recently.

• Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    oh man I'm so happy they brought up the energy vampire concept, that's fucking dope. That was a big thing of the like "vampires are totally real and I am one" geocities sites of the 90s

A former friend of mine once accused me of being an energy vampire like seven years ago and honestly I still haven't stopped laughing

i am legitimately surprised you didn't take it as a compliment

Energy vampires are the dweebs of the vampire world and everyone knows it

Being an energy vampire is almost worse than not being a vampire at all

i mean

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Listen I want to be a vampire so I can be cool and beautiful forever, not just to make the people around me have a kind of shitty day

Isn't that predicated by being cool and beautiful beforehand, though?

• TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Did everyone talk about Sex Education already?

That was really good!

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    My wife and I decided Ferris Bueller is a luck vampire, draining the luck of those around him and keeping it for himself. Poor Cameron

Bucketman wrote: »
    My wife and I decided Ferris Bueller is a luck vampire, draining the luck of those around him and keeping it for himself. Poor Cameron

gleirnvdt1vq.png

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Yeah but Ferris is more evil

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    ferris bueller is a piece of shit and people who idolize him make me immediately leery of their worldview

PiptheFair on
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »

Isn't that predicated by being cool and beautiful beforehand, though?

I'm shocked it took this long for this response to happen

• JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    This conversation reminded me of that ridiculous old webcomic Bruno the Bandit and its fame vampires.

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Shit like Goop should be illegal.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/11/11/india-to-fine-celebrities-for-endorsing-misleading-products/

india had a huge snake-oil celebrity endorsement problem, so they made that shit a fineable offense even if you don't fucking live there

Hmm, it's a start, but for rich folks fines are basically just an extra cost

cdci44qazyo3.gif

Hmm, it's a start, but for rich folks fines are basically just an extra cost

Set it to a percentage of net worth.

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    percentage of net worth should be an option judges can use in most scenarios, but especially white collar crime

• Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Most stuff should be set to net worth on a progressive scale.

One of the reasons that GDPR freaked everyone the fuck out is that the fines were either at a minimum level that would destroy most companies or pinned to a share of revenue. Not profit! Revenue.

edited February 2019
    it's really weird to me that "sorry you don't get to be a rich person anymore" isn't a consequence of the justice system more often

seems like it's reserved entirely for rich people who defraud other rich people

Jeffrey Epstein, a guy who pimped out trafficked teenagers on his secret sex jet for a decade, gets to keep being fantastically rich

Shorty on
    it's really weird to me that "sorry you don't get to be a rich person anymore" isn't a consequence of the justice system more often

Jeffrey Epstein, a guy who pimped out trafficked teenagers on his secret sex jet for a decade, gets to keep being fantastically rich

To the rich, who, let's face it, are the ones who really set the laws, there is NO crime greater than denying the wealthy their wealth. After all there's no moral line they won't cross to get their money so how could they declare anything else truly criminal.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular

There is a case to be made that taking people's wealth leads to perverse incentives for the justice system. And, if taken too far, you could very well create a permanent underclass by condemning any criminal to a life of poverty.

Which is kind of what's happening now, except it's not explicitly condoned.

There is a case to be made that taking people's wealth leads to perverse incentives for the justice system. And, if taken too far, you could very well create a permanent underclass by condemning any criminal to a life of poverty.

You could theoretically cap it as a minimum level, so if you have less than say, 10 million dollars net worth it doesn't apply. I agree about the incentives problem, it's one of the reasons police seizures became so entirely fucked.

Pervert the justice system? The one that already creates a permanent underclass by predominantly targeting and disproportionately punishing minorities, combined with a culture that treats incarceration as a permanent black mark on your record, all but forcing you to resort to lawlessness to survive?

cdci44qazyo3.gif

Pervert the justice system? The one that already creates a permanent underclass by predominantly targeting and disproportionately punishing minorities, combined with a culture that treats incarceration as a permanent black mark on your record, all but forcing you to resort to lawlessness to survive?

I don't think going after someone this hard for no real reason is conducive to a healthy discussion that educates and informs.

Not a word of that was personally directed in the least, unless the poster somehow represents the US Justice System

cdci44qazyo3.gif

Not a word of that was personally directed in the least, unless the poster somehow represents the US Justice System

It doesn't have to be personally directed, but it definitely felt like a hostile escalation from someone who was making a decent point. Perhaps a point that you disagree with, but one made politely and in good faith. You treated your fellow community member like a villain.

I mean, do with this feedback as you will. I'm not censuring you, just telling you how it read to one person (me).

• Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Legion season 3 is going to be the final season

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    That's probably for the best. My favorite moments in Legion are the weird little moments in between progressing the plot, but it seems like they're really struggling to keep the plot within eyeshot of anything approaching the rails.

I think what I really want is a spinoff series where Cary tries to start just the worst private detective agency with Kerry and Lenny.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular

The story of Rosanna Arquette is a triumphant one- but it’s also disturbing. She was one of the first women to publicly speak out about Harvey Weinstein.

I was stirred by several of her recent interviews where she was quoted as saying she couldn't find work -or representation -this seems a direct consequence of her bravery.

I am producing a new Netflix show, RATCHED, with Ryan Murphy- and we decided this could not stand.

Her body of work -from Desperately Seeking Susan to Pulp Fiction and beyond, has always been deeply inspiring to both of us. So there will be a multi-episode arc for this extraordinary actress. Ratched starts shooting Wednesday and I say with great pride- welcome to our family, Rosanna. I am thrilled to be in a position, due to the empowerment of my friend and collaborator, Ryan Murphy, not to just act in a piece, but hire the talent showcased in it, as well.

Yeah, that's what I was alluding to with that third sentence there. :P

All good, though. I also have strong feelings on the subject and I agree that mass incarceration and disproportionate sentencing are serious injustices and major problems.

Yeah, that's what I was alluding to with that third sentence there. :P

All good, though. I also have strong feelings on the subject and I agree that mass incarceration and disproportionate sentencing are serious injustices and major problems.

Yeah to be clear I wasn't arguing so much as emphasizing. Or that was the intent at least, it clearly didn't read that way

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    This commercial just came on my TV while watching Hulu and I started gagging.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LhkcQbhiOiM

Why? Why????

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    This commercial just came on my TV while watching Hulu and I started gagging.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LhkcQbhiOiM

Why? Why????

jesus christ of nazereth what the fuck

My mind immediately went to, "Well it's kinda like tapioca balls I guess..."

Alternative branding: Cow-to-Table Locally-Aged Cheese

This discussion has been closed.