As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Movie] Thread: Where the term "projection" is A-OK!

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Peter Venkman is a complete asshole.

When I watched Ghostbusters for the first time on home video as a wee lad, I complained to my Dad when Venkman wasn't covered in marshmallow fluff in the end like everyone else was. He was the jerk in the movie! He should have drenched like Peck was!

a72wjosuql73.jpg

emnmnme on
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »

When I watched Ghostbusters for the first time on home video as a wee lad, I complained to my Dad when Venkman wasn't covered in marshmallow fluff in the end like everyone else was. He was the jerk in the movie! He should have drenched like Peck was!

a72wjosuql73.jpg

I want to say in one of the commentary tracks it just boiled down to "Bill didn't want to do that." Which highlights how much fun Akroyd was having since he is completely drenched!

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Venkman is supposed to be kind of an asshole

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »

a72wjosuql73.jpg

I want to say in one of the commentary tracks it just boiled down to "Bill didn't want to do that." Which highlights how much fun Akroyd was having since he is completely drenched!

The green sliming in the hotel was enough to even things out, I suppose.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited February 2019
    LTTP:

Bumblebee is a fine, enjoyable movie. I still wish we had a Transformers movie where a Transformer was the protagonist, but if the main character has to be a human, then this is a fun version of that movie. At least Bumblebee is a fucking beetle in this one.

Stupid petty nitpick:
    Did he really have to turn into a Camaro at the end? I get the story reasons for why he did it, but it annoys me that it makes the original Bay versions canon.

Less petty nitpick:

I really don't like the way the robots can just turn into anything they see on the fly. It robs them of some of their identity, and makes it less sensical that they even have preferred forms. Why not just turn into whatever the most convenient vehicle is at any given moment? Why wouldn't they all choose forms that can fly?

The original series, in which they were in stasis on earth and their computer retrofitted them to turn into earth vehicles so they could blend is much cooler and makes a lot more sense.

But all that is just nerd griping.

This was a solid film and i'm glad i saw it and i'm looking forward to any more they might create.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I have get to see Bumblebee, and I do want to, but I agree entirely with your nerd griping.

Jazz on
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    So I saw Ready Player One on netflix tonight. But not on any old tv screen or laptop... No I saw it using a Samsung Galaxy phone, some headphones and a vrgoogle set! One of those Occulous things they have, with a tiny remote control. There was a new year sale on it and I waste more money on worse things. Junk Food alone pays for it ten times over. Now if I can only stop eating junk food.

In any case, when I saw Ready Player One pop up on my que, I downloaded the Netflix VR app and watched it there. Pass up the chance to see the movie about VR game world on an actual VR headset? No way!

So the app transports you to some kind of mountain cabin. You are sitting on a couch, watching a bigscreen Tv. The Headset gives you stereo, but nothing more. Image is clear, but if you look closely, you can see the pixels of your actual phone. Controls are cluncky and weird, but that is probably just Netflixs. No stutter or flimmer, no headache if you lie in bed or on a couch with support for your neck.Eyes are little tired, but that is to be expected. Not something I would do often, but if the right movie comes along...

As for the movie... It was okay popcorn flick. Not a good movie by any standards, but an enjoyable watch. Only moment in the movie I actually liked wholeheartedly was the Shining homage. I know Spielberg and Kubrick respected each other and it was obvious that Spielberg wanted to show his late friend some love. Better then the book, but that wasn't hard. I was tired of the book half-way through, only finished it because I was traveling and had nothing else to read. Could go into more depth, but I feel the VR app review is more interesting.

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Few things about Ghostbusters; this is a bit of a "grab bag" post.

Hoo boy, yes, it is "problematic".

I dig that the crew represent four of the heroic archetypes: the Smart Guy, the Trickster/Charmer/Guile Hero, the Pure at Heart, and the Pragmatist. (And yes, these also map to Hogwarts Houses and many other things.)

Finally, it is a gold mine of quotes. Lately I've been using "nobody steps on a church in my town!" when playing The Secret World (Legends), specifically the raid where a kaiju pops out of Times Square.

• Options
    edited February 2019
    Double post 'cause I wanted to put this on its own. A while back I wrote up the climax of the movie in the format that I thought such a confrontation deserved.
    And as the Four stood there atop the sorcerer's tower, with their bows in hand and quivers full at their backs, the portal swung open and the Destroyer emerged in all its terrible glory.

The bravest of the Four stepped forward. "I greet you, Destroyer, and command you in the name of my people to go forth from this place and never return."

The Destroyer looked upon the one who had challenged it. "Are you a God?" it asked.

"No," he answered truly, "only a Man."

"Then die, Man," the Destroyer said, and its wrath swept over them like a storm, and they were pushed back to the precipice. There they rallied and let fly their arrows, but their weapons were as nothing before the power of the Destroyer.

The Destroyer of many names spoke again, and its voice shook the heavens. "Choose the form of your destruction."

Again it was the bravest and purest among them who answered. "I choose Innocence."

The Destroyer snarled. "So be it. By Innocence shall you perish."

And the Four looked and saw the Beast come striding toward them, through the streets of the great city, to the base of the sorcerer's tower. It was taller than the tallest tree, and its form was that of a giant gluttonous child, its visage at once innocent and terrible; and as it walked it crushed all in its path with a child's simple glee.

Again the Four loosed their arrows, and again it was no use, for they sank into the Beast's bulk without harm.

Then the wisest of the Four said, "We cannot defeat our foe this way. We must combine our strength and be as one." And the others agreed, for they knew the wisdom of their fellow.

So the Four stood shoulder to shoulder and they drew back their bowstrings one more time. And though this might be their last moment, they looked to each other and their hearts were glad. Then as one they let fly all their arrows into the portal, and there was a clap of thunder as the Destroyer was cast out of the great city; and so also was the Beast cast down in ruin.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    The movie also created modern day dad jokes with the stairs line.

• Options
    edited February 2019
    Honestly, I think maybe Dad Darth Vader did that.
    Anakin's sense of humor is so very dad, it's a true shame he never got to be that to his kids.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    In a deleted scene in ESB after Luke jumps you can hear vader ask if he needs a hand.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Double post 'cause I wanted to put this on its own. A while back I wrote up the climax of the movie in the format that I thought such a confrontation deserved.
    And as the Four stood there atop the sorcerer's tower, with their bows in hand and quivers full at their backs, the portal swung open and the Destroyer emerged in all its terrible glory.

The bravest of the Four stepped forward. "I greet you, Destroyer, and command you in the name of my people to go forth from this place and never return."

The Destroyer looked upon the one who had challenged it. "Are you a God?" it asked.

"Then die, Man," the Destroyer said, and its wrath swept over them like a storm, and they were pushed back to the precipice. There they rallied and let fly their arrows, but their weapons were as nothing before the power of the Destroyer.

The Destroyer of many names spoke again, and its voice shook the heavens. "Choose the form of your destruction."

Again it was the bravest and purest among them who answered. "I choose Innocence."

And the Four looked and saw the Beast come striding toward them, through the streets of the great city, to the base of the sorcerer's tower. It was taller than the tallest tree, and its form was that of a giant gluttonous child, its visage at once innocent and terrible; and as it walked it crushed all in its path with a child's simple glee.

Again the Four loosed their arrows, and again it was no use, for they sank into the Beast's bulk without harm.

Then the wisest of the Four said, "We cannot defeat our foe this way. We must combine our strength and be as one." And the others agreed, for they knew the wisdom of their fellow.

So the Four stood shoulder to shoulder and they drew back their bowstrings one more time. And though this might be their last moment, they looked to each other and their hearts were glad. Then as one they let fly all their arrows into the portal, and there was a clap of thunder as the Destroyer was cast out of the great city; and so also was the Beast cast down in ruin.

And the three heroes said to the fourth "when the Destroyer asks if you are a God, you answer yes."

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Shadowfire wrote: »

And the three heroes said to the fourth "when the Destroyer asks if you are a God, you answer yes."

But that wouldn't be true, and the Pure at Heart hero is both brave and honest, always! (Qualities which get him into, and then out of, trouble on the regular.)

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    From the end of the last thread...

TESB SE changes...
    Changing the Emperor was okay.
    Changing all the dialog in that scene. was kind of dumb.

But yeah, Empire did wind up (eventually) with the least cringe-worthy alterations.

Maybe now that Disney owns Fox they can put out a proper collection...

Adding in Vader walking to his shuttle, flying to the Executor, and walking out to a greeting party during the Escape from Bespin sequence will always stick out to me.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Didn’t Lucas add in Luke screaming after purposefully jumping down the pit on Bespin?

Pretty sure.

Lucas is a goddamn idiot.

• Options
    madparrotmadparrot Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    Didn’t Lucas add in Luke screaming after purposefully jumping down the pit on Bespin?

Pretty sure.

Lucas is a goddamn idiot.

They did - I mentioned it in the last thread but it got botp'd:

They made Luke scream when he falls down the reactor shaft. For bonus stupidity, they used exactly the same scream sound that Palpatine emits in RotJ. I can't even imagine why they did that.
    Thankfully, they realized the mistake and removed it from later home media releases.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaXgK5HRBjk

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    In the new special edition, every scream, cry and loud exclamation will by replaced by a Wilhelm scream.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Good

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    I would probably scream if jumped down there to my death

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    In the new special edition, every scream, cry and loud exclamation will by replaced by a Wilhelm scream.
    In the "George, you can type this shit, but you sure can’t say it" edition, every single line will be replaced by a Wilhelm scream, except for Chewie's and R2D2's.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »

I would 100% watch this movie.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Hotel Transylvania 3 (Netflix) was good, probably the best of the series. Which isn't saying much but I feel like it's gotten better and able to roll with the studio mandates of pop music and product placement a lot better than something like the Despicable Me franchise.

This time around Billy Madison and the King of Queens and crew all go with the Transylvania staff on a cruise in the Bermuda triangle to vacation at Atlantis, and it's all set up by the Van Helsing family to trap and destroy the monsters. And Van Helsing's granddaughter is the ship Captain who is trying to kill Dracula, who in turn is falling in love with her without knowing who she really is. The usual hijinks and visual gags abound, but for all the dumb stuff it's rather inoffensive when a joke doesn't land and it does have some good ones like the running joke about the giant pug with dead eye stare pretending to be an animal.

The shoehorned romance in Despicable Me 2 was crap and a major reason it wasn't good because it just felt like crapping on Gru nonstop, and at least in this one it feels better because they sort of pull a Coyote/Roadrunner setup with Dracula being oblivious to Van Helsing's actions before finally showing the wuvs in the third act. The character design for Lady Helsing is pretty freaky (she has a creepy as hell Richie Rich face that is a lot worse than the other human faces) but it's Kathryn Hahn voicing her so bonus points, and good casting of Chris Parnell being every fishman waiter on the cruise ship. Another point that seems to work in HT3's favor is how it pushed to the side Mavis and her family, letting it rest more on Dracula and his friends. They're still there but you can sort of feel like Andy Samberg's character only had a day's worth of VA recording for him and the kid is more a sight gag with his wolf girlfriend.

There's a low bar set for these films, but for having watched them all via streaming I can't really complain. There's some decent adult jokes that can fly over kids heads which you don't really get anymore, some of the music is actually good and you're just able to be content for 90 minutes.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Alright, fine, this being the opinion thread:

I hate the Wilhelm scream and want it buried to the trash heap of history. In fact, I want it redubbed out of all previous films with a proper, appropriate sound. Every time I hear it, it takes me out of the film I’m watching and distracts me for a good while after during which time I contemplate the decision to use it rather than whatever bullshit is on screen at the time.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Alright, fine, this being the opinion thread:

I hate the Wilhelm scream and want it buried to the trash heap of history. In fact, I want it redubbed out of all previous films with a proper, appropriate sound. Every time I hear it, it takes me out of the film I’m watching and distracts me for a good while after during which time I contemplate the decision to use it rather than whatever bullshit is on screen at the time.

It’s inThe Hobbit, twice! I cut it out in my edit.

I don’t get why directors keep using it. It instantly pulls me out of a scene.

• Options
    I thought it was fun the first two or three times I noticed it, in Star Wars and Indiana Jones films, and if used for some no-name mook falling to his death. Once I began to notice it in more films, it became an annoyance.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    SchadenfreudeSchadenfreude Mean Mister Mustard Registered User regular
    Wilhelm was fine when it was just Ben Burtt using it. But then all the nerds who grew up watching Indiana Jones and Star Wars etc. started putting it in everything and have ruined what was once a nice little Easter egg.

Contemplate this on the Tree of Woe
  • Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    Watched Five Fingers for Marseilles last night, a South African modern western.

It looks amazing, just fantastic. Most of the actors are great or have a real look/vibe to them. And for the most part, it's pretty good. But it's preeetttttyyyyy slow and look, I'm all for a slow western as long as I'm not playing it, but this one FEELS slow, and that wound up being a problem. I also think that it's struggling to fill the entire movie up with metaphors and allusions to all the issues South Africa has had and I get the desire to blow it all on this one movie, could be my only shot, kind of thing but I think it contributes to the unevenness.

All that being said, it's a good movie and I'd love to see Michael Matthews next flick.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    ... whereas I love the Wilhelm scream, and smile a bit every time I hear it.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    So, the question remains:

Wilhelm Scream or Howie Scream?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzdF0bVH6e8

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I would just like films to do their own ADR with their own actors, please.

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Wilhelm takes me out of the film—which, like many techniques that take you out of the film, is perfectly fine if that’s your intention. It’s when that isn’t the filmmaker’s intention but they do it anyway that the problem arises.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    I notice the Wilhelm scream but I guess I don't really mind it when movies remind me that they are, in fact, movies, and not reality

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    wandering wrote: »
    I notice the Wilhelm scream but I guess I don't really mind it when movies remind me that they are, in fact, movies, and not reality
    One would think that the laser swords and dragons would do that for you.

But love affairs with hammers. That’s real, and pure.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    wandering wrote: »
    I don’t think it’s that binary, though. I can watch a film, know it’s a film and still be carried away, and want to be carried away, with the illusion it’s creating. That kind of illusion can be fragile, however. Things such as an all too obviously placed product logo can put a dent in it, or indeed a pushy sound effect that draws attention to itself because you’ve heard a few dozen times in a few dozen movies.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    Wilhelm Scream doesn't bother me much, but there's a specific "sound of children laughing" stock effect which gets used all the time and drives me absolutely bananas.

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I agree about the stock children laughing sound

except I also hate the Wilhelm Scream

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Yeah this sound of a kid laughing is just the worst:
    https://youtu.be/UctRZ91m9XA

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I have said any laughtrack maker for TV is sorely screwing up by not including Rich Evans' laughter into their mixes.

This discussion has been closed.