As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Wargroove] The Advance Wars game we've waited 10 years for!

• EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    WACriminal wrote: »
    Speaking of side missions, I tried something that felt a little unorthodox on Act 3, Side 2 (Ragna), and it worked WAY better than I expected it to.
    This is the one where you're Ragna vs. Caesar. Caesar starts with all the advantages -- more and better troops, more villages pre-captured and within easy reach, access to giants, etc. My first inclination was that I needed to start churning out alchemists ASAP to balance the numbers, but I decided to try something fun first -- turn 1, built a wagon and put my commander in it.

I ran the wagon down the right side of the map, skipping all the villages, and grabbed the southeastern barracks. Meanwhile my archers slowly picked up the neutral villages on my northern peninsula. I didn't build any more units up north, just swooped the two starting archers through villages and towards the bridge, positioning them so that they could pincushion anything that tried to cross it.

Once I had the southeastern barracks, I started pumping out alchemists down there and capturing more villages, then trebuchets whenever I could afford them, and my god did that strat steamroll Caesar's AI. Got the S-rank, and after the first ~3 turns never felt like I lost the upper hand.

I did the same thing except I just ran her down the side on foot with a few soldiers capturing cities while she focused on the barracks at the end. Except I spammed swordsman and Pikeman from the upper fort to fight the enemy army at the bridge . When I got the barracks I spawned knights that bull rushed the enemy hq and won.

• Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Chucklefish did an AMA on reddit and detailed some of their plans for further support of the game, summary via Nintendo Everything:
    On online competitive play:

Chucklefish Games: “We are tracking ELO at the moment and using it for quickplay matchmaking, so we already have the tracking in place. We’re waiting to see how the online play evolves and whether or not a ranked mode would fit. We don’t want to divide the playerbase right away, but it’s on our maybe list.”

The biggest programming hurdle in making Wargroove:

Chucklefish Games: “The online aspects of the game were probably the biggest challenge. The things that we had to deal with included cross-network multiplayer requirements, hosting independent servers, security, content sharing, handling timers for realtime matches over an asynchronous infrastructure, controlling AI, and many more details! The work on all of this involved most of the programming team (there’s four of us) in some way or another.”

Post-launch support:

Chucklefish Games: “Lots of post launch support!

Quality of life fixes coming soon, we’ve heard you all there. Free content updates are planned too.

Look for quicker skipping of battle cutscenes, an option for faster map movement locked on by default, online play with bots, some tweaks to fog of war, and some other bits and bobs.”

“There will be DLC 🙂 can’t tell you quite what we’re planning yet!”

Reddit AMA link

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
    Alright im sick so I finished the last mission of act 3 and I can tell its going to rub the people who haven't played advance wars or haven't played it in a long time the wrong way. Enjoying the game but I havent touched MP yet and I can already tell NUru is top tier and my boy Valder probably wont fair well.

• cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    The Kotaku review sorta turned me off because it does mention some QoL stuff that I might want them to fix first. But also it apparently gets really hard halfway through and you end up wasting a ton of time in stalemates?

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
    The Kotaku review sorta turned me off because it does mention some QoL stuff that I might want them to fix first. But also it apparently gets really hard halfway through and you end up wasting a ton of time in stalemates?

Im in act 4 and this hasn't been the case. Most of my missions are over turn 20 ish but I have experience in the genre . If you are new to it then yeah there will be a learning curve. Also Im sure kotaku finds a lot of things difficult like not breathing through their mouth or tying their shoes.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I got a coupon on Steam to buy this for 15% off. It's probably the first time I've gotten a coupon that was actually relevant to me.

• Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Another interesting bit from the AMA on things they changed from the original Advance Wars formula:
    When designing Wargroove, we tried to make the game more dynamic and less grindy than some matches on Advance Wars could become. That was one of the primary motivations for introducing commanders in the field, and for changing how building capturing works, compared to those classic games.

The introduction of critical hits is my personal favourite addition to the formula, and makes the positioning of units all the more interesting.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    Just bought the game.

I've got Chaos Reborn, Armello, Invisible Inc., etc. sitting here on the computer and have barely touched them.

Damn you Steam and your low prices! :P

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
    Bro act 4 part 2 is a fucking panic attack. No spoilers but hey start with everything and you start with nothing , only reason I passed was I trapped the enemy co and suicide charge him. Three stars but no s rank , unless all s ranks unlock something I am not going replay that one. Took me like 4 attempts 2 hours.

• PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    well i picked this up after reading the comments. here. Been a long time since i played any of the AW games but i loved all of them (I miss Andy). I'm on the 4th or 5th level now and just lost for my first time. The enemy commander i guess has an ability that instant one shots multiple units...and my commander was out pushing the edge. Lesson learned!

• redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    How the fuck do you 3 star act 1 mission 2?! Arg.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    Started this up yesterday and I’m enjoying it. I really like that each unit has different crit conditions. I never played AW but I gather that’s a new addition, so that’s cool.

Battletag: Noggin#1936
    redfield85 wrote: »

I believe the rankings "mostly" work off of speed to beat the level. I think losing units has "some" effect but if anyone has official info/knowledge, please share!

edited February 2019
    Dev's post about upcoming patches. First two will focus on bug fixes and various QoL improvements:

First of all, I want to say how humbled and thankful we all are here at Chucklefish for the incredible launch weekend. It’s truly been amazing, we’ve already covered the cost of development and are throwing ourselves into improving the game further.

So what’s next for Wargroove?

Really Short Term

We already have the first post-launch patch submitted and going through approval, this patch brings with it a number of bug fixes and other small improvements that we weren’t able to fix in time for release.

Fix bug that caused online multiplayer maps against AI to sometimes go into a broken state.
    Fix bug that caused spectating online on Fog of War maps to not work correctly.
    Fix bug that caused issues around resigning on matches.
    Fix the display of some Japanese and Chinese characters.

Short Term

We’re working on a number of quality of life fixes and hope to get them to you asap. It takes a little while to submit a patch on console, but we’ll try to get things done as quickly as possible.

Some of those quality of life improvements will include:

The ability to skip battle scenes more quickly. With various options on how this will work.
    The ability to force fast map movement to ‘always on’.
    Tooltips and more info for the effective/vulnerable charts.
    In multiplayer, the host will be able to fill open spots with CPU players.
    Display S rank requirements. (Tip for now, it’s always based on number of turns.)
    Make it more difficult to accidentally end a turn.
    Multiplayer Lobby improvements
    Various bug fixes
    Along side this, the Japanese e-shop version of the game is not far away!

Modding is also coming soon and of course a PS4 version of the game is in the works.

Long Term

As we continue to update the game and address user feedback, we’re also looking into a larger content update, DLC and more. More info on this at a later date. But I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised.

One more thing

We love feedback and we’re constantly checking Reddit, Discord, the Community Forums, Twitter etc. So keep it coming.

We’d like to know how you feel about the difficulty of the game, and should you be able to earn 3 stars at lower difficulty settings?

Let us know what you think!

Thanks again for the amazing launch support and we hope you enjoy the game!

Link

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Pailryder wrote: »

I believe the rankings "mostly" work off of speed to beat the level. I think losing units has "some" effect but if anyone has official info/knowledge, please share!

Its all speed ive lost double figure units and gotten rank , you need to be quite aggressive.

edited February 2019
    They mention in that dev post thst they are going to add the ability to see the requirements for S-rank. They also said that as of right now its always about the speed with which you beat it, but implied that that won't always be the case in the future.

Edit: after re-reading they don't seem to be implying that at all, but rather that it will always be about number of turns and later they will add the ability to see exactly how many turns you're required to beat the level in.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular

Its all speed ive lost double figure units and gotten rank , you need to be quite aggressive.

I hate that sort of thing because I always like to play these sorts of games as if I were really commanding troops and I don't want to lose anyone.

Reading that AMA, a bunch of people ask about saving mid mission and how it should really already be in the game. The devs seem to be taking a "We're not gonna do that, but we do hear you and we're looking into maybe doing something else like checkpoints" which isn't really what I want. They also seem to want the game to lean more on the side of being difficult.

steam_sig.png

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    So is this digital only on Switch? I can't find physical copies.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Digital only.

Also I've being playing this. Mostly being mainlining main missions so I can get Sigrid in arcade. Being playing it legit and not having too many issues but I did turn damage down to nothing for Emeric's magic swamp fight because I didn't feel like doing a puzzle/efficiency stage.

For the most part the campaign's difficulty comes from both expecting you to hit the ground running in terms of knowing how Advanced Wars is supposed to play and the ease with which misplacing your commander can put you into a death spiral or outright kill you.

I've only done one multiplayer match and it was kinda brutal for my opponent. He sent Caesar north with a small force to secure his economy while I sent Sigrid south by herself.

He basically lost both halves of the map because I harrassed Ceasar using a wagon, two infantry, a mage and knights. Eventually killing the dog. Meanwhile down south he spent like... 2000G on archers and some screen units which quickly turned into a lesson on how immortal Sigrid is with even a little bit of support. By the time I killed Caesar I was literally bashing down his desperation trebuchet one square outside his home barracks.

Honestly Sigrid is just the most fun. You get to throw her around like a god in the early game and even in the mid and late game where people can threaten to touch of death big units and is very hard to actually kill. I'm deeply curious if she can touch of death enemy commanders. Because that'd just be the cherry on the cake.

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    It's good that they're adding animation skips but like... the animation is so good and it's such a pleasure to watch. Sigrid in particular has just the most perfect contempt on her face, it's marvelous.

I love how the campaign lets you play a broad slice of characters and factions without tying you to the protagonist, too

• General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular

I hate that sort of thing because I always like to play these sorts of games as if I were really commanding troops and I don't want to lose anyone.

That's an extremely unreasonable expectation if your opponent is remotely in the same league as you.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular

I like the way you command, commander.

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
      I've kinda given up on the S rankings/caring about rankings at all as the S is usually pretty doable but, it involves cheesing the AI and murdering their commander near the start in any mission they have a commander.... And I don't mean to knock on the game, i love the game but I find it much more fun to play the scenarios "properly", because the AI isn't that great and assassinating its commander is usually easy

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
    • Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular

That's an extremely unreasonable expectation if your opponent is remotely in the same league as you.

I mean, I don't expect to get out unscathed, that would be silly, but going in with the goal to minimize casualties rather than prioritize speed, in addition to being based on real ass strategy and tactics, is just how I like to do things. Now obviously there should be some missions with a time limit that makes plot sense which force me out of my comfort zone, but if there isn't a reason for speed then I shouldn't be penalized for clearing a mission in whichever way I want. Scoring based entirely on speed is dumb and encourages gamey tactics which treat your troops as so many disposable imaginary things. Which, obviously, it's a game, so they are, but it rubs me the wrong way.

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular

My opponent is the AI, so no, they're not in the same league as me (they're better than me, and I don't like losing units in games)

JtgVX0H.png
    • Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular

I mean, I don't expect to get out unscathed, that would be silly, but going in with the goal to minimize casualties rather than prioritize speed, in addition to being based on real ass strategy and tactics, is just how I like to do things. Now obviously there should be some missions with a time limit that makes plot sense which force me out of my comfort zone, but if there isn't a reason for speed then I shouldn't be penalized for clearing a mission in whichever way I want. Scoring based entirely on speed is dumb and encourages gamey tactics which treat your troops as so many disposable imaginary things. Which, obviously, it's a game, so they are, but it rubs me the wrong way.

Advanced Wars has always being a speed chess puzzle first and a strategy game second.

Generally speed is efficiency and power coming together , so the better your plan is the faster it will achieve your goal . Or at least thats the way I look at it.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
      I made this thread and am super excited to play the game, but I still have to finish RE2: Remake and VC4 before I jump in. So, I'll be starting up in time for the patch drop. ;)

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
      Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
      Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
      Steam ID
      Twitch Page
      in this game, right now, you basically are cheesing the AI to get S rank on certain levels. AI will always prioritize certain types of units over others if they are in range. I'm still kind of figuring things out but for example, have a pikeman with health of 6 or a full health wagon and the enemy will always go for the wagon, even if they could finish off the pikeman.

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
      Man, only done the first three missions or so but I feel so out of my depth. I completely missed out on Advance Wars back in the day. I'm sure things will click eventually but they really kind of toss you in the deep end a bit.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    • General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular

Taking objectives has a cost in blood. It always has in war. Unless you're a super-power that's overwhelming the opponent with 1000x the resources as the opponent, then any objective worth taking will be costly since the opponent will fight just as hard if not harder to keep it. Ranking by speed also makes perfect sense. If someone can complete the mission objectives in five turns, vs you completing them in 20 turns, then your faster guy was better.

3DS Friend Code:
      Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
      Hmm only up to 5-2 but yeah difficulty is steadily ramping up.

• The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
      So, what's the verdict on having this on PC vs Switch? I mean, i'e got a discount code on PC, but portable is miiiighty tempting...

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
      Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
      Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
      Switch: 0293 6817 9891
    • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
      So, what's the verdict on having this on PC vs Switch? I mean, i'e got a discount code on PC, but portable is miiiighty tempting...

I went Switch for portable, even if for me that almost primarily means in bed.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
    • WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
      From what I've read, the game plays equally well on both, so the main question is whether you would rather have portability, or moddability.

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

Either that or it ends up a broken mess like Valkyria Chronicles where wars are won not by an army but by a single scout blitzing to a flag at which point the enemy army has to give up because ???they took our flag???

Advanced Wars has always being a speed chess puzzle first and a strategy game second.

As much as I loved Advance Wars, until Days of Ruin the AI wasn't smart enough to even call the game a strategy game.

AW1 APC taunt trashstrats for days

Dual Strike Eagle + Sami duo CO power one-turn HQ capture was just flat braindead.

Can I mod in tanks and soldiers?

steam_sig.png

• IvarIvar Oslo, NorwayRegistered User regular
      I didn't realize this was basically fantasy Advance Wars before yesterday, immediately bought it on Switch.
      I've played a few campaign missions and one arcade mission, and I really like it so far.
      The animation is so good!
      I didn't realize how much I'd missed a game like Advance Wars.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
      Donnicton wrote: »

Either that or it ends up a broken mess like Valkyria Chronicles where wars are won not by an army but by a single scout blitzing to a flag at which point the enemy army has to give up because ???they took our flag???

As much as I loved Advance Wars, until Days of Ruin the AI wasn't smart enough to even call the game a strategy game.

AW1 APC taunt trashstrats for days

Dual Strike Eagle + Sami duo CO power one-turn HQ capture was just flat braindead.

Yeah, Eagle/Sami combo should tell anyone "park AAA on HQ", but... most of the campaign is just broken in half by it. 17 space range or so of instant win.

Steam: Polaritie
      3DS: 0473-8507-2652
      Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
      PSN: AbEntropy