As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Microsoft on the whole has been a whole lot better since Ballmer left. They're contributing to Linux (to the point where you can install Ubuntu right through the Microsoft store), they've open sourced just about everything involved with .NET... I don't think the Xbox adaptive controller would've happened under Ballmer, but not only did they make it, they advertised it during the Super Bowl. Satya Nadella is a different cat... far more pragmatic. So, IMO, the push for Xbox to be everywhere, on every kind of device, while also not being afraid to partner with Nintendo, seems very much like his sort of idea, or, at the very least, one he would definitely endorse.

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited February 2019
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    Microsoft on the whole has been a whole lot better since Ballmer left. They're contributing to Linux (to the point where you can install Ubuntu right through the Microsoft store), they've open sourced just about everything involved with .NET... I don't think the Xbox adaptive controller would've happened under Ballmer, but not only did they make it, they advertised it during the Super Bowl. Satya Nadella is a different cat... far more pragmatic. So, IMO, the push for Xbox to be everywhere, on every kind of device, while also not being afraid to partner with Nintendo, seems very much like his sort of idea, or, at the very least, one he would definitely endorse.

If the switch becomes a portable xbox in terms of having access to a strong multiplayer community in the 3rd party game space, complete with cross play, that also plays all of nintendo's 1st party stuff and has nintendo's build quality, this will easily skyrocket into being my favorite console of the past 20 years.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
    syndalis wrote: »

If the switch becomes a portable xbox in terms of having access to a strong multiplayer community in the 3rd party game space, complete with cross play, that also plays all of nintendo's 1st party stuff and has nintendo's build quality, this will easily skyrocket into being my favorite console of the past 20 years.

I'm hoping Nintendo is smart enough to realize/see this. The Switch is already a pretty compelling piece of kit. Imagine if it had XBL quality multiplayer support/chat/organization. And all Nintendo has to do is pay for it instead of investing in the architecture (and people!) necessary to roll their own.

On Microsoft's side, they get their hooks into a portable gaming device, which is also the hottest thing since the Wii. Crossplay could mean increased revenue, depending on how it's implemented. I mean, how many people in the Switch threads have said "I'd buy another copy of X if it meant I could play with my friends on the other device while on the shitter/in my room?"

It just makes so much sense for both parties to partner up with this. That doesn't mean it will happen to the extent I think it should, but the potential is pretty great.

• FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    After messing around some more with it at home, more oddities but probably points to the console being the issue moreso than not:
    • Charging with the adapter works somewhat. It's finicky, and sometimes it will, sometimes it won't
    • If you joycons are attached and I plug in the adapter, the system suddenly recognizes the attached joycons. I can even unplug the adapter and the joycons stay connected. If I disconnect and reconnect the left joycon, it goes back to thinking it's not attached.
    • Dock works, but finicky, similar to the adapter issue

So it looks like the USB port is partially busted. And potentially something with the left joycon rail. Both are super cheap parts, but videos show the use of high end tools I just don't have. I'm going to test the components with someone else's Switch to make sure it's what I think it is... but it looks like I'm in the market for a new console.

Any bundles on the horizon? :?

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

I'm hoping Nintendo is smart enough to realize/see this. The Switch is already a pretty compelling piece of kit. Imagine if it had XBL quality multiplayer support/chat/organization. And all Nintendo has to do is pay for it instead of investing in the architecture (and people!) necessary to roll their own.

On Microsoft's side, they get their hooks into a portable gaming device, which is also the hottest thing since the Wii. Crossplay could mean increased revenue, depending on how it's implemented. I mean, how many people in the Switch threads have said "I'd buy another copy of X if it meant I could play with my friends on the other device while on the shitter/in my room?"

It just makes so much sense for both parties to partner up with this. That doesn't mean it will happen to the extent I think it should, but the potential is pretty great.

I have no idea what the extent to their work is going to be, but I will 100% pay for Xbox game pass if I can stream those games on my Switch.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Good gravy people shouldn't gift me eShop money for my birthday. It's like digital crack there's so much good stuff in there.

I might have just added eight games to my library. I guess this cements that next work bonus has to at least go to a 256gb card.

Lindsay Lohan on
    Shadowfire wrote: »

I have no idea what the extent to their work is going to be, but I will 100% pay for Xbox game pass if I can stream those games on my Switch.

Worse case scenario is that the Switch and Xbox (likely including the next gen Xbox) will have crossplay titles. Which is a really freakin' good scenario.

• UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Good gravy people shouldn't gift me eShop money for my birthday. It's like digital crack there's so much good stuff in there.

I might have just added eight games to my library. I guess this cements that next work bonus has to at least go to a 256gb card.

What did you get?

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular

What did you get?

Katamari Damacy, Dandara, Celeste, Octodad, Pool Panic, Donut Country, GRIS and Downwell.

That is a great selection!

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Figgy wrote: »
    After messing around some more with it at home, more oddities but probably points to the console being the issue moreso than not:
    • Charging with the adapter works somewhat. It's finicky, and sometimes it will, sometimes it won't
    • If you joycons are attached and I plug in the adapter, the system suddenly recognizes the attached joycons. I can even unplug the adapter and the joycons stay connected. If I disconnect and reconnect the left joycon, it goes back to thinking it's not attached.

So it looks like the USB port is partially busted. And potentially something with the left joycon rail. Both are super cheap parts, but videos show the use of high end tools I just don't have. I'm going to test the components with someone else's Switch to make sure it's what I think it is... but it looks like I'm in the market for a new console.

Sounds like liquid damage on one of the power lines. :(

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    If the X1 (or even their next console) could stream games to the Switch that would be amazing. I know it's just a dream right now, but I know quite a few people that are currently PS4 and Switch owners that would probably be tempted to change next gen if it meant they could play AAA games without tying up the TV.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
    I feel like I should reiterate that the notion of a Switch streaming Xbox games was entirely pulled from my ass as a pie-in-the-sky wish, and not meant to be a real rumor or anything even remotely bordering on legit. The SDK mentioned in the Polygon article seems to be for crossplay only. Letting people access the same servers (see: Minecraft), perhaps get achievements, and other things that a game developer would like access to to make their games fit the base XBL experience. Anything else is 100% wishcasting. In order of likelihood:

1. More crossplay like with Minecraft, maybe with achievements
    2. Nintendo offloads the bulk of their online service to Microsoft... Good matchmaking, voice chat, whatever else can be offloaded to Azure to keep the Switch as lean as possible
    3. Dogs and cats living together... Complete pandemonium
    4. Xbox and Nintendo partnering in a historic way, with the Switch being the first Xcloud device, saving Microsoft from needing to build their own hardware. Sales increase across the board because now people can play CoD, Madden, whatever on the go, and none of it is a limited/hobbled Switch Edition. Even crazier (it's my fantasy, I can do what I want): certain 1st party Xbox games are Joy-Con friendly. Motion control in Halo or Gears.

I give #4 < 0.0000000000000000001% chance of actually happening. But it would be epic. I think #2 is a reasonable hope, simply because it seems so obvious. Microsoft gets more money, Nintendo finally has a solid online service. Everyone wins.

• Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    McFodder wrote: »
    If the X1 (or even their next console) could stream games to the Switch that would be amazing. I know it's just a dream right now, but I know quite a few people that are currently PS4 and Switch owners that would probably be tempted to change next gen if it meant they could play AAA games without tying up the TV.

Actually yeah, as someone who flat out hasn't bothered with console gaming other than switch. Remote play using the switch would absolutely sell me on an xbox. If done right.

And evidence suggests that neither Microsoft or Sony can actually compete in the handheld market. So it's actually a somewhat plausible strategy. I doubt they'll do it but I hope they will.

• LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    "Offloading voice chat to azure" doesn't make technical sense. The switch is going to have to encode/decode audio either way. It also most definitely isn't something outside of the capabilities of the switch. Keep in mind Nintendo got in-game voice chat working on the original DS.

• rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Yeah as mentioned elsewhere, the main issue at this point is probably that Nintendo hasn't allocated any resources to do things like VoIP, in-game notifications or messages at the system level. They are instead giving all those resources to games to use as they see fit, so this cannot be fixed across the board without breaking old games or buying new hardware. The xbox SDK gives devs the option to hook into at least some of these things on xblive, but it is 100% up to the devs to decide if and how to implement them. Nintendo would probably have to do something analogous if they ever wanted those kind of features. (They could code most of the features into the OS itself, but games would have to "opt in" to use them and reserve appropriate resources.)

Nintendo always goes on a bit of a journey with their system resources. I remember on the 3DS there was a time that they got the OS running more lightweight and freed up some extra RAM for all games moving forward, might've also been a "CPU unlock" like PSP did partway through its life (266 to 333 MHz), and another time when they just couldn't work with what they had anymore and sacrificed what was set aside for the OS in the background and gave it all to Smash 3DS. It rebooted into a mode that let it utilize all the 3DS's power and you couldn't do things like open up the web browser while running Smash. May have been other games that did that too.

And now on the Switch we have games doing things like disable video recording in order to capture those resources (Fortnite and others).

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    In-game voice chat is a thing on the Switch. It just isn’t a thing first party games use.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    Nintendo always goes on a bit of a journey with their system resources. I remember on the 3DS there was a time that they got the OS running more lightweight and freed up some extra RAM for all games moving forward, might've also been a "CPU unlock" like PSP did partway through its life (266 to 333 MHz), and another time when they just couldn't work with what they had anymore and sacrificed what was set aside for the OS in the background and gave it all to Smash 3DS. It rebooted into a mode that let it utilize all the 3DS's power and you couldn't do things like open up the web browser while running Smash. May have been other games that did that too.

And now on the Switch we have games doing things like disable video recording in order to capture those resources (Fortnite and others).

Sony does a similar thing with the Vita. For games that need the extra resources, there is a message on launch that says 'network features may be disabled for this game' or something to that effect. Nintendo could have system level voice chat and similar features and allow games to opt-out of them in the same way.

LD50 wrote: »
    "Offloading voice chat to azure" doesn't make technical sense. The switch is going to have to encode/decode audio either way. It also most definitely isn't something outside of the capabilities of the switch. Keep in mind Nintendo got in-game voice chat working on the original DS.

I have no idea how chat works, so why must chat be encoded/decoded on the device?

"sound" is analog. It has to be encoded digitally before it can be transmitted digitally, and decoded before it can be played out of a speaker. It also needs to be compressed via some sort of low-latency compression before it can be transmitted for size/bandwidth reasons.

"sound" is analog. It has to be encoded digitally before it can be transmitted digitally, and decoded before it can be played out of a speaker. It also needs to be compressed via some sort of low-latency compression before it can be transmitted for size/bandwidth reasons.

Makes sense... Thanks!

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular

Yeah it's one of the reasons why talking to someone on the phone and in real life sounds so different.

• rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular

I have no idea how chat works, so why must chat be encoded/decoded on the device?

The encoding/decoding is compression so that it takes a reasonable amount of internet bandwith to send and receive. Sending uncompressed audio to Azure to compress is rather pointless.

I am definitely going to try this because I have been enamored with the visuals every time I have seen it.

HgafuET.png

Reminds me of old picture books as a kid.

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Is Code of Princess EX really the spiritual successor to Guardian Heroes or is that just clever marketing?

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Is Code of Princess EX really the spiritual successor to Guardian Heroes or is that just clever marketing?

Well, I don't know exactly.

What I can say is that it does have the same lead Devs as Guardian Heroes.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

The gameplay is lifted nearly wholesale from Guardian Heroes.

• GrebnuGrebnu Registered User regular
    I didn't know that this combo was something that exists: Child of Light Ultimate Edition / Valiant Hearts The Great War. Both are games I've wanted to get but never actually went for it. Price is just over 30€, so not bad for physical games.

Oh crap, there's also Syberia 1+2 and 3 in the same package for 25€!

Wow. Another game I've had my eyes for. Pretty nice, and for Finnish prices those aint bad.

Has anyone played "Bass Pro Shops The Strike Championship Edition Bundle" (that is a bundle with a fishing rod)? I think that a fishing game could be nice for Switch, to play with my son.

Another one is that Paw Patrol game, he is watching that show right now behind me. Anyone played that? Screens looked ok, seems to be a platformer?

I think that those games are games that maybe critics won't give big score but ordinary folk could find them enjoyable (I am wary of critics reviewing certain type of games, they tend to be a bit biased towards something, well, better).

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Grebnu wrote: »
    I didn't know that this combo was something that exists: Child of Light Ultimate Edition / Valiant Hearts The Great War. Both are games I've wanted to get but never actually went for it. Price is just over 30€, so not bad for physical games.

Oh crap, there's also Syberia 1+2 and 3 in the same package for 25€!

Wow. Another game I've had my eyes for. Pretty nice, and for Finnish prices those aint bad.

Has anyone played "Bass Pro Shops The Strike Championship Edition Bundle" (that is a bundle with a fishing rod)? I think that a fishing game could be nice for Switch, to play with my son.

Another one is that Paw Patrol game, he is watching that show right now behind me. Anyone played that? Screens looked ok, seems to be a platformer?

I think that those games are games that maybe critics won't give big score but ordinary folk could find them enjoyable (I am wary of critics reviewing certain type of games, they tend to be a bit biased towards something, well, better).

I can't speak to Valiant Hearts, but Child of Light is incredible

admittedly, they reeeeaaaalllllyyyyy stretch some of those rhymes

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Valiant Hearts is very good. I'd even argue that it's more incredible than CoL, but they are hard to compare since they're entirely different kinds games.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Valiant Hearts is very good. I'd even argue that it's more incredible than CoL, but they are hard to compare since they're entirely different kinds games.

Extremely depressing, but good either way.

Child of Light I ended up not liking as much as I thought I would. It was ok and that was about it.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    Has the Eshop been crash happy for anyone else?

I can't seem to browse for longer then 3-4 minutes at a time before i get an error.

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Zunde wrote: »
    Has the Eshop been crash happy for anyone else?

I can't seem to browse for longer then 3-4 minutes at a time before i get an error.

I couldn't even log into the eshop last friday. Just kept getting errors, and it was a bit spotty on Saturday.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »

Don't fall for it! Guardian Heroes is my second favorite game of all time. I love it. I've played hundreds of hours.

Unless there were significant improvements from the DS game, Code of Princess is a garbage game that is garbage.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Donnicton wrote: »

Don't fall for it! Guardian Heroes is my second favorite game of all time. I love it. I've played hundreds of hours.

Unless there were significant improvements from the DS game, Code of Princess is a garbage game that is garbage.

Yeah but it is for reasons other than the combat system, such as being stupidly grindy and an overemphasis "one true build" character progression.

• RehabRehab Registered User regular
    Figgy wrote: »

You could wait a bit to see if anything emerges about the rumored Switch remodel.

NNID: Rehab0
  • taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    I'm so torn on Dragon marked for death, it sounds right up my alley but got panned so hard in reviews, but then reading the reviews I'm like "that doesn't sound so bad" and the 2 champ pack is only 19$ cad...argh

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    Dandara is 60% off at the moment.

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    plufim wrote: »
    Dandara is 60% off at the moment.

Is it at least as good as Axiom Verge? I just recently finished that and loved it.