As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[NFL] Thread: Pittsburgh At Cleveland? There Is No Dog.

• CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    That was the only NFL game I watched this year and I deeply regret my decision.

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    I avoid watching the Super Bowl. I've never regretted my decision.

• MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    Not everyone thought the game was boring. I invited a friend over and she brought one of her roller derby teammates (One of the best blockers in the country! #starstruck). They were having a ball watching the defenses do their thing, and reveling in every big hit. The best moment in the game was a play where Goff tried to make something happen by running towards the sideline with two Patriots chasing him. They yelled "Kill him!", and right away a third Patriot comes into frame and just lights Goff up. They just dropped their jaw in awe and whispered "I want to hit someone like that."
    I was a ball of stress watching the Pats D dominate while the O left so many points on the board, so having someone around genuinely enjoying the game was awesome.

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    "Both teams played like they didn't want to go to the white house" - Facebook

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »

The McCourty twins probably won’t be going IIRC, neither will Harmon.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »

I'm sure Belichick will class up the WH with a tasteful sleeveless hoodie. And if TB goes I'm sure it'll be something understated, like a bright red suit with pinstripes that are nothing but MAGA repeating.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • schussschuss Registered User regular

I'm sure Belichick will class up the WH with a tasteful sleeveless hoodie. And if TB goes I'm sure it'll be something understated, like a bright red suit with pinstripes that are nothing but MAGA repeating.

Tom Brady doesn't actually give a shit about anything that isn't football, his wife or his kids. That's why the MAGA stuff has been such a non-event - no one actually believes he spent half a second thinking about politics.

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    schuss wrote: »

Tom Brady doesn't actually give a shit about anything that isn't football, his wife or his kids. That's why the MAGA stuff has been such a non-event - no one actually believes he spent half a second thinking about politics.

True enough. It was magical watching him on that waterside while vacationing with the family a few years ago.

BlackDragon480 on
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • marajimaraji Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Something I find funny:

Bryan Hoyer's career: 59.3% completion rate, 2.1% int rate, 6.7 AY/A, 83.2 passer rating.

Jared Goff in the playoffs this year: 55.7% completion rate, 1.9% int rate, 6.7 AY/A, 71.7 passer rating.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/02/04/patriots-defense-credits-brian-hoyer-for-scout-team-preparation/

So the new “Patriots are Cheaters” theme is that they used voodoo to turn Jared Goff into Brian Hoyer?

maraji on
  • chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    Pretty sure the Saints fans put the gris-gris on the Rams.

steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
    chasm wrote: »

Either that or Robey-Coleman being a one man hubris army of such magnitude that the Universe couldn't ignore it.

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited February 2019

He's basically a savant. Like without Gisele he'd be broke like 15 years after he retired

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+

Either that or Robey-Coleman being a one man hubris army of such magnitude that the Universe couldn't ignore it.

Karma came for him and Peters. Gotta give it to Brandin Cooks, too. His refusal to deal with ANY physical contact has now singlehandedly cost THREE teams big games. That's amazing.

steam_sig.png
    PantsB wrote: »

He's basically a savant. Like without Gisele he'd be broke like 15 years after he retired

That's also what keeps the Pats competitive; Gisele has so much money that he doesn't have to have an exorbitant contract.

steam_sig.png

That's also what keeps the Pats competitive; Gisele has so much money that he doesn't have to have an exorbitant contract.

Eh, he values winning over money. If your choice is more money or a better o line, pick the o line if you want to win.

He's been the highest paid QB in the NFL before.

The way his contact is structured now, yes, it's a great bargain for the team. But it also makes him virtually impossible to cut or trade, because the Patriots would be left with a small mountain of dead cap space - currently $12,000,000. As it stands, Brady is a $27,000,000 cap hit next season. He'll probably restructure again, but it'll again likely be something that gives him guaranteed money and keeps him in a position where it would be a disaster for New England to cut or trade him.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • MorganVMorganV Registered User regular

The way his contact is structured now, yes, it's a great bargain for the team. But it also makes him virtually impossible to cut or trade, because the Patriots would be left with a small mountain of dead cap space - currently $12,000,000. As it stands, Brady is a $27,000,000 cap hit next season. He'll probably restructure again, but it'll again likely be something that gives him guaranteed money and keeps him in a position where it would be a disaster for New England to cut or trade him.

And that's also assuming, of course, that Brady doesn't have some kind of deal with Kraft for a cushy after-retirement job (Director of Looking Good, Feeling Good) that'll cover any previous lost income.

It's possible there isn't such an agreement in place, but if there was going to be, it'd be this QB and this owner.

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Super Bowl Lies was the lowest rated game in the last ten to fifteen years.

Thanks, Kaep.

• quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »

And that's also assuming, of course, that Brady doesn't have some kind of deal with Kraft for a cushy after-retirement job (Director of Looking Good, Feeling Good) that'll cover any previous lost income.

It's possible there isn't such an agreement in place, but if there was going to be, it'd be this QB and this owner.

I am pretty sure having some sort of under the table agreement for an after career job would be in violation of the CBA. Not that he doesn't have one in place, but to me, that should be against the rules.

Not that Tom Brady needs one, he and his quack doctor are going to be scamming people for decades once he stops playing anyways.

He's won the most Superbowls of any qb and makes over 10 mil a year already. I think he'll do fine.
    After a point, money is largely meaningless. He made those choices to put the team in a better spot to win, and it's paid off. Same with company founders that take a pay cut for more of an equity stake - you're betting that by taking less now, there will be much more later.
    Also, once he retires I'm sure he'll go into coaching or just give speeches for like 100k a pop.

When Brady retires, FOX will give him Aikman's job.

• MorganVMorganV Registered User regular

He's won the most Superbowls of any qb and makes over 10 mil a year already. I think he'll do fine.
    After a point, money is largely meaningless. He made those choices to put the team in a better spot to win, and it's paid off. Same with company founders that take a pay cut for more of an equity stake - you're betting that by taking less now, there will be much more later.
    Also, once he retires I'm sure he'll go into coaching or just give speeches for like 100k a pop.

Oh, I'm sure at this point, it's all probably moot. I'm more referring to the possibility of further back, before the rampant continual success of the Patriots was a thing. Because Brady has been doing the contractual reshuffle for less money for a LONG time, and given the character of Kraft, it just feels like it's something he'd offer.

And the difference with an equity stake is that it's a lot more concrete than an NFL player's contract, especially with how most teams (including the Patriots) treat their players, I'm not sure someone would risk that much that early in their career, not knowing (and likely not expecting) they'd be performing this well almost two decades later.

I could be (and probably am) wrong. But if there was any player/owner relationship where this'd happen, it's the Patriots. Partly because Kraft is crafty, definitely one of the smarter owners in the league (because of how much he doesn't dick around with football operations), partly because allegedly Kraft sided with Brady over Belichick in the Garoppolo retention (which would be out of character for Kraft), and partly because the Patriots cheat. :)

• chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular

Thanks, Kaep.

Wait, lowest rated game in the last decade? Do you mean lowest rated Super Bowl, or lowest rated game including like regular season tiffs between, say, Arizona and Cleveland?

steam_sig.png
  • lazegamerlazegamer The magnanimous cyberspaceRegistered User regular

He's never seemed that comfortable in front of a camera, and I'm not sure he has the chops to make it as a coach. My guess is that he ends up in the front office at some point after Belichek is gone, similar to the route Elway is taking.

I would download a car.
  • southwicksouthwick Registered User regular
    lazegamer wrote: »

He's never seemed that comfortable in front of a camera, and I'm not sure he has the chops to make it as a coach. My guess is that he ends up in the front office at some point after Belichek is gone, similar to the route Elway is taking.

Troy is the best, never take Troy.

• AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    chrisnl wrote: »

Thanks, Kaep.

Wait, lowest rated game in the last decade? Do you mean lowest rated Super Bowl, or lowest rated game including like regular season tiffs between, say, Arizona and Cleveland?

Lowest Superbowl, but even then it's ratings were like 4x higher then the second highest rated show on Sunday.

PSN|AspectVoid
    AspectVoid wrote: »
    chrisnl wrote: »

Thanks, Kaep.

Lowest Superbowl, but even then it's ratings were like 4x higher then the second highest rated show on Sunday.

Isn't stopping the sports turds from having a mild panic at the 'low' numbers.

The Sean McVay coaching tree takes root. Zac Taylor (QB Coach) is now the head coach of Cincinnati.

The kickback to Brady that’s most heavily rumoured IMO is Kraft selling him a share in the franchise at an undermarket price once he retires or simply leaving Brady a share in his will. Even 5% ownership of the Patriots would be huge.

• y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    I think Brady disappears from football after he retires

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    I think Brady disappears from football after he retires tries to found a cult based on TB12 after he retires

ftfy

• BobbleBobble Registered User regular

I think you're right but I think he's also a junkie and I don't know what hobbies the dude has outside of football.

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Bobble wrote: »

I think you're right but I think he's also a junkie and I don't know what hobbies the dude has outside of football.

It's not so much being a junkie as that to be at that level, it can consume your life. I remember reading a story about Peyton Manning early in his career, and that his living space was downright Spartan because his life was more or less just football.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    Bobble wrote: »

I think he’s a junkie about playing it, I don’t know that he cares much about being around it. I can’t see him coaching. I see him hanging out with his kids

Only 10 years til the pats draft jack brady

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Pats don't really have a DC. It's just Belichick.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

Then why hire someone with his past?

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular

Then why hire someone with his past?

Because he's an asshole.

I'm more talking about the football part, where Schiano sucks.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • lazegamerlazegamer The magnanimous cyberspaceRegistered User regular
    Belichek also has a thing for Rutgers, so I wouldn't be surprised if Schiano wasn't already on his short list.

I would download a car.
  • Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    There are two things that I like about Schiano:
    1. Signing the paralyzed Rutgers player to a day contract for the Bucs
    2. The kick-off rule he came up with seems pretty fun

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453