As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Apex Legends] Battle Royale from the makers of Titanfall. High OCTANE gameplay!

EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Registered User regular
edited March 2019 in Games and Technology
Brought to you by Respawn, the team responsible for Titanfall and Titanfall 2. Takes place in the same world but the connection is tenuous.

Jump from ship.

Grab loot.

Shoot mans.

Basic stuff for the most part if you've played a Battle Royale. Differences are mainly that it's herolegend based, three-person team based, and there is a form of limited respawning that's dependant upon your teammates nabbing your tag and running to a respawn point where you respawn naked.

Available on PC(Origin), PS4, and XBox One. (Apparently you can also link your Steam Account for additional friends list?)

NEW CHARACTER - OCTANE!
1ST SEASON BATTLE PASS OUT!

Giant Bomb Quick Look Type Thing -

Characters -

Bangalore
Bloodhound
Caustic*
Gibraltar
Lifeline
Mirage*
Pathfinder
Wraith
* - Characters that currently require unlocking via in-game currency or funbux. Funbux cost translates to about $7.50 a character but smallest funbux pack is $9.99 plus tax so figure about $10.00 a character realistically. Haven't played much so don't know the earn rate to unlock a character.

GOOGLE DOC FOR COOL PEOPLE

Steam - DailyFatigueBar
FFXIV - Milliardo Beoulve/Sargatanas
EriktheVikingGamer on

• Options
    Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    At first I thought wall running + sliding should have been a thing but then I thought about 60 people doing it and those 60 people trying to work as a team while doing it and how cool but absolutely terrible it would be.

I understand why its not in the game. You can still grapple slide with the friendly robot guy tho.

Mr.Sunshine on
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    Played my first match. Wandered for ten minutes with my team before we got blasted. But it leveled me up and the free crate they gave me had the legendary Dark Side skin in it, so I guess I'm in.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I play a lot of PUBG so if it's anything like that, there's gonna be a decent learning curve before the 'right' playstyle emerges.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    I don’t play a lot of BR’s but I’m enjoying what I’m seeing so far? Focusing on squads and the different character classes giving different play styles tools to also have fun in case they’re not all about the big looty-shoots has been fun. Been playing a bunch of Lifeline and I love her revive shield, and hate that people have been running away from my heal drone when drop it.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    nusunusu Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I don't play a lot of BRs and I am not a fan of this. To be fair, I just don't think BR games work for me.

I'll go back to getting blasted in TF2 mp instead.

nusu on
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    I’ve only played a couple of games but so far I’m digging this, huh happy surprise out of nowhere

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    I tried to play with xray vision, but I have no clue what to do in BR shooters.

• Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    FUCKING WON

Like the fifth match. And I didn't get carried, it was a team effort.

A team of randos, but damn did it feel good. Seriously I am all in now.

Personal highlight of the match

https://youtu.be/bK3nwGhzHl0

• Options
    twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular
    added my info to the google doc, but if anyone's playing on pc and wants to team up -- twmjr on origin.

ran through two games so far, getting my feet wet, but I'm enjoying this one

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    Honestly this game is quite good. Would never have recognized the Titanfall brand if I hadn't been told. The shooting is solid and the abilities add depth but aren't insanely powerful.

Don't have a lot of experience with BR but just won my second game, full squad alive with no knockouts 8-)

• Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Yo, between the quality of life improvements, special abilities, and really tight gun play... this is the new bar for BR games.

It's so good. And I HATE BR games.

edit: also I saw some people tried to invite me... but every time that happens my client crashes? had to turn off notifications, sorry if it seemed like I was ignoring you.

DietarySupplement on
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    That slide is very good. It's the Ocarina of Time "roll" button that you just press occasionally while you're walking because it's fun.

The gunplay is still a little bit too long range for me to be great at it, but wandering around is nice. On my third match we just and meandered around the entire time without any serious combat, and the ring happened to center on us, and we won. I had completely blank stats, haha.

This game desperately needs a "mute teammate" button. Just got paired with a guy who talking to someone in a different voice chat with his mic volume maxed, just buzzing over everything.

• Options
    Yo, between the quality of life improvements, special abilities, and really tight gun play... this is the new bar for BR games.

It's so good. And I HATE BR games.

edit: also I saw some people tried to invite me... but every time that happens my client crashes? had to turn off notifications, sorry if it seemed like I was ignoring you.

I don't hate BR games, but I agree with this. I can see myself sticking with this one for awhile.

• Options
    EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Registered User regular
    Meh. Shouldn't have rushed in on that last fight. xP

Steam - DailyFatigueBar
    FFXIV - Milliardo Beoulve/Sargatanas
  • Options
    Meh. Shouldn't have rushed in on that last fight. xP

Yeah, I charged in with an auto-shotty hoping to take one or two out for our teammate. It uhh...it didn’t work. :o

• Options
    MarsloMarslo is, the dirty frenchmen MontrealRegistered User regular
    i hate BR games too and im in to this....

• Options
    Ok I'm digging this, I am terrible at it (keep trying to reload my guns on pickup, thanks PUBG), and my random teammates are actually trying to work together

What is this witchcraft

(Also that auto shotty is so tasty)

• Options
    Also I'm the only one picking the Grappling Hook Bot, he's obviously the best everyone is crazy

• Options
    Also I'm the only one picking the Grappling Hook Bot, he's obviously the best everyone is crazy

Look, if I don't pick the medic my suicidal squad mates will just get themselves killed, and then who will shoot the enemies trying to kill me?

• Options
    SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    Frem wrote: »
    That slide is very good. It's the Ocarina of Time "roll" button that you just press occasionally while you're walking because it's fun.

The gunplay is still a little bit too long range for me to be great at it, but wandering around is nice. On my third match we just and meandered around the entire time without any serious combat, and the ring happened to center on us, and we won. I had completely blank stats, haha.

This game desperately needs a "mute teammate" button. Just got paired with a guy who talking to someone in a different voice chat with his mic volume maxed, just buzzing over everything.

Your able to mute teammates from the options menu once you jump, I too desperately started looking for it once I got a bunch of background noise from a rando

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Never played a Battle Royale game before this one. So far I’m really bad at it. Any suggestions?

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    nusunusu Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    After reading a bit more about how Respawn handled the development/announcement/marketing, I'm at least going to try to give this BR a chance. I am so bad at BR, but I want this studio to keep making awesome shooters (and really, a new Titanfall). Feel free to add me on origin (nusu1828), but please be patient with me, I am very bad.

nusu on
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    I saw there's an option to "transcribe incoming voice chat to text" or something like that and immediately thought "Woo! no longer have to listen to pubbies and i can still get a general idea what they're saying!" but in practice it doesn't work, at all. Not as in it's bad, as in it doesn't do anything at all :( way to get my hopes falsely up devs.

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    The ping feature needs to be shamelessly lifted by other games, it's really nice. I'm digging this so far.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    So I got to like level 7 in this tonight and it seems very fun. The combination of heroes and squad centered stuff is a lot of fun. There's also enough in game communication tools to make voice chat useful, but not a necessity so you can play with randos pretty well if people are paying attention. Got to #2 with bloodyroar and overall it seems quite good.

• Options
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    Never played a Battle Royale game before this one. So far I’m really bad at it. Any suggestions?

Try to drop areas free of enemies so you can loot safely without getting jumped. Stick close to teammates, if possible. Also, the inventory is limited unless you pickup a backpack to expand it; and you want to pickup armor as you go to protect yourself.

Also seems like there's not just health kits, but also shield and Super buffing items.

• Options
    Once you find a gun, armor's definitely the first thing I'd scrounge for with medkits close behind. I'd also recommend just leaving ammo behind if you don't have a matching weapon unless you lucked out and found a backpack early. Outside of that, make sure you're marking POIs for your team if you notice something and try and keep together. Lone wolf crap gets you mauled real fast.

• Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Thanks for the tips guys! I really dig the movement and the gunplay in general... which is no surprise considering the game it's based off of. I'm surprised how mobile it feels even without stuff like wall-running and double-jump. I'm still not sure the whole battle royale thing is for me, but I'm going to give this another few play sessions at least. Also...
    Where the fuck is my Smart Pistol???

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    There's no wall running but you can sprint up a wall a surprisingly huge distance. Helps when evading people around buildings if suddenly you're on top of it.

• Options

Try to drop areas free of enemies so you can loot safely without getting jumped. Stick close to teammates, if possible. Also, the inventory is limited unless you pickup a backpack to expand it; and you want to pickup armor as you go to protect yourself.

Also seems like there's not just health kits, but also shield and Super buffing items.

It took me a few matches to figure out that just picking up the energy shield refill items doesn’t do anything. You have to pull up your inventory and manually activate them to get the protection.

• Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    So no titans and no wall running but still somehow super good? is that the consensus?

616610-1.png
  • Options
    Frem wrote: »

It took me a few matches to figure out that just picking up the energy shield refill items doesn’t do anything. You have to pull up your inventory and manually activate them to get the protection.

The medkits and shield restore items can go in the same 4 quickslot. Not sure how to swap them, but you can definitely use from inventory too.

• Options
    Not sure how it's bound for KB/M setups but on a controller you just hold the use button and it pulls a radial menu for those.

• Options
    So some quick and dirty impressions:

Shooting is really nice, but seems like right now some guns are far and away the best. I was tearing ass with the Spitfire LMG and some shotties seem really beefy. Long range stuff seems favored up until the end circle, just like PUBG.

Movement isn't as badly gimped as you'd think, but it's really weird. It definitely feels like they could have given everyone a grappling hook and it wouldn't have hurt the flow of the game much. The sliding feels great, but is just about all the average character can do. It plays great but like Titanfall with training wheels, I suppose?

It definitely makes the gunplay shine more than Titanfall, where often I would be moving first and shooting second. Battle Royale games usually means camping, but in our case that didn't work out great as we were easily flanked and smashed. Seems like one of the few BR games to encourage firefights rather than discourage them. Still, we made it top 5 more than a handful of times just playing conservative til the final circle.

Overall I'm having fun and it's free, and there's depth there. I feel like once I get used to the mechanics, it'll really shine. Haven't settled on a character yet but they all seem to have something nifty.

• Options
    Zombie GandhiZombie Gandhi Registered User regular
    It seems like if your team isn't rocking at least one Bloodhound, you're hurting yourself. It seems like that class is designed to kill camping in a genre that has a lot of camping.

That said I say this having only played two games and as a Wraith, which I didn't really understand at all.

I suppose I'll finally give BR games a shot for a bit of distraction.

• Options
    Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    Wraith has some great opportunity for combos. Teammate goes down? Portal 1 in a safe spot, void walk (invincibility) out to the teammate, drop portal 2 and have the teammate crawl through. Now the enemy team has to decide if it's worth the risk to blindly chase through the portal.

You could probably set up some sick ambushes with it too, have your teammates or some fire grenades/throwing stars waiting.

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    As someone who has booted this on PS4pro and on his very old PC (4th gen i5, 760, 8gb ram), this game has one big strike against it:
    On lower video settings characters blend into the background way more. They don't seem to be outlined much and the edges are pixelated, and the colors are (probably intentionally, ala pubg) not standing out. So on the PC I can't find who to shoot, and on the PS4Pro I can't hit people because I have never console shootered (Well since Halo2...)

Now even this old machine is still well, well, beyond minimum sys reqs. There must be many people out there with a worse time than me. Especially knowing that the "Fortnite crowd" is mostly young teens.

For me personally I'm really close to doing a massive upgrade soon (That was delayed by the bitcoin craze, RAM shortage, 20** benchmark dissappointment, intel cpu shortage as well as threatening very large bills that never materialized). So it's not my problem, but I feel it will really hurt their growth on PC.

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Disrupter wrote: »
    So no titans and no wall running but still somehow super good? is that the consensus?

Turns out when the guys who made COD4 take all the stuff out of their game that differentiates it from COD you're still left with a really good game. Which is honestly a bit snide because one of the more notable things in this game is that the TTK is the highest in the genre.

Also so far my big complaint is how swingy gun RNG can feel. I've being switching between the medic and soldier because they let you compensate for shitty RNG with resource mitigation or smoke to remove the long bow advantage.

Also you can currently get a month of Origin Access for $1 and get $10 of funbucks.

Albino Bunny on
  • Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    I dunno, weapon balance feels pretty good to me... except for the LMGs. They seem to be pea shooters with a super high RPM. I forget which one it is, but the one that shoots energy ammo and has a spin-up time is near worthless in any situation.

The AR's handle really well, the snipers feel like they have some heft, the shotguns are civilization for the mid- to short game, and the pistols also make great weapons in a pinch. The smgs are the true heroes though, because they all have relatively high damage and high fire rates, so you can melt people from even mid-tier armor really fast.

My friends and I had our first win about 3 games in last night. It's really easy to pick up and get into. And the medic is my absolute JAM. A free HOT plus a an airdrop with almost always guaranteed level 3 items? Yes please!

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    So do you download this through TF2 or is it up in PC, PSN, XBone stores? I haven't checked yet. I want to try it out, but I'm a sucker for cosmetics and I'm afraid if I like it I'll start dropping all kinds of money on it :P

I had to stop playing Overwatch and Paladins because I was spending too much...

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.