As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Steam] April showers bring May Birthdays

• HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    Sow, it's to be a pigpun thread now, is it?
    I doubt it.
    Happy Lunar New Year! 🐷
    sW9LTlM.png

• Gear GirlGear Girl More class than a state university Registered User regular
    @HiT BiT You are a treasure.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Heatwave wrote: »
    Serious spoilers
    Was there a cure for the plague in that burned village? I ended up letting the family die because unless there was a cure on hand they were going to spread the plague to the entire island
    No. In fact, if you let them escape you do in fact hear news later that they went on to spread the plague even further.

Question about the AssCreedOdd spoilers above:
    Now, I have a question about this: Who tells you that they spread the plague further, exactly?

DarkPrimus on
  • Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    I mean... I have a folder specifically dedicated to Hit Bit avatars...

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Wait, how is Far Cry 5 already 75% off? Isn't it the newest one out?

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
    Iolo wrote: »

Probably because the next Far Cry (New Dawn) comes out in like 2 weeks.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

Next side game is due out in a few weeks.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited February 2019

Far Cry 5 is almost a year old by now. (March 27th, 2018)

Undead Scottsman on
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Serious spoilers
    Was there a cure for the plague in that burned village? I ended up letting the family die because unless there was a cure on hand they were going to spread the plague to the entire island
    No. In fact, if you let them escape you do in fact hear news later that they went on to spread the plague even further.

Now, I have a question about this: Who tells you that they spread the plague further, exactly?
    I don't think anyone specifically says it was the family so much as the player character infers that from news of the spread. You hear it from the ship npc and later Phoebe mentions hearing about it.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Serious spoilers

I don't think anyone specifically says it was the family so much as the player character infers that from news of the spread. You hear it from the ship npc and later Phoebe mentions hearing about it.
    Okay I was curious because the Oracle said that the family I had let get put to death didn't have the plague at all, and since the Oracle is full of lies I wondered if it was the Oracle that said that if you saved them.

• McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    wait, no, fuck you steam i just got done with your sales with minimal backlog growth.

steam_sig.png
  • IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    A game, it hath been beaten!

---

header.jpg?t=1540833315
    Graveyard Keeper
    : Are you sure I won't go to Hell for this?

Adding a darkly humorous twist to the Harvest Moon and Stardew Valley formula, Graveyard Keeper sends your recently-deceased character into a medieval afterlife in which they are named steward of the village's graveyard and tasked with burying the bodies shipped in near-daily from the Town. As you meet the village's personalities and explore the countryside your options expand into areas such as farming, mining, fishing, alchemy, dungeon crawling, necromancy and serving burgers and beer at the witch burnings.

The graveyard and morgue will be fixtures throughout the run. Corpses are delivered and you will be tasked with burying them in the graveyard. Autopsy the bodies and extract blood, fat, bones and organs to manipulate their stats, measured in white and red skulls which represent virtue and vice, respectively. White skulls give your grave plots the capacity to be improved with gravestones and fences, creating a beautiful cemetery that attracts generous donations when you hold sermons on the Day of Pride. Red skulls are bad juju that sap grave quality and cause your graveyard to be haunted.

Of course, there's more to it. Once you unlock the crematorium and funeral pyres, you can start gathering body parts at will and burning the rest. The leftover ashes can be interred into urns for columbaria... or used as ingredients in useful potions. Once you unlock the ability to see body part quality directly you can start transplanting organs between corpses to max out your grave quality... or turn the blood into Zombie Juice, apply the gigawatts and find a task for your new unquestioning, untiring source of menial labor.

And there's a plethora of labor to be undertaken. While there is no hard time pressure, days do pass quickly and each day has a major NPC to interact with. There are several workyards and workshops to stock with equipment, all of which costs precious stamina to build and use. Much of the game involves managing your ability to do stuff through the use of sleep, food and automatic action. Players who invest early in cake, muffins and zombies are rewarded with far greater freedom in how they use their stamina. Money must also be managed carefully as selling items en masse is generally thwarted by the use of diminishing prices; getting access to the trading post and Prayers for Donations early is important in lifting the weight of poverty off your shoulders.

Another resource to manage is technology and the research thereof. Gathering and crafting will generate Tech Points in three colors: red (labor and refinement), green (plants and nature) and blue (spirit and knowledge). These points can be spent at will to unlock technologies for building new workstations, crafting new items and activating perks to give you bonuses to things like work speed and crafting quality odds. Blue tech is disproportionately hard to come by, bottlenecking your progress through much of the story, and your view of the game's "grindiness" may be predicated on how badly your tech advancement is gated.

Still, the activities themselves are quite enjoyable, even if they come off as occasionally impenetrable. I've spent hours building a template to plan out my work spaces and optimizing the stats of my graveyard and the corpses that reside there feels satisfying in a way these games are designed to hook you with. It's telling that, after spending this much time on a single run, I'm considering starting anew.

My Score: 4/5
    Playtime: 70 hours

Thanks once more to @Coffey not just for gifting the game to me but for streaming it in the first place!

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    FNG games for 2/7 - 2/10 (now including Sunday Night Gaming!)

Thursday Night Gaming (4 pm PST): TTS Secret Hitler

Friday Night Gaming (4 pm PST): Dead By Daylight

Saturday Night Gaming (4 pm PST): The Division, long campaign continued

Sunday Night Gaming (7 pm PST): Astroneer

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    hey

System Shock: Enhanced Edition

Loading...?

hey

System Shock 2

Loading...?

hey

The Original Strife: Veteran Edition

Loading...?

• Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    There should be a specific name for buying a massively cheap thing just to become eligible for a discount. The germans probably got such a term, as they do for everything.

In other news, I got both parts of Umineko No Naku Koro Ni, the discount, and an ultra-cheap game that isn't one of those hentai sliders y'all love to gift Pixie with. It is a japanese game though.

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    hey

System Shock: Enhanced Edition]

Thanks. I played the second System Shock and Bioshock but not this first one.

• EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    Finally broke down and got ori and hollow night, along with a warframe resource pack. Yay sales

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    Finally broke down and got ori and hollow night, along with a warframe resource pack. Yay sales

Do Ori first, its shorter.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Talus9952Talus9952 Registered User regular
    I got 4k pig bucks.

steam_sig.png
  • Talus9952Talus9952 Registered User regular

Far Cry 5 is almost a year old by now. (March 27th, 2018)

LOL. I'm about to start 4 just now!

steam_sig.png
  • EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »

Thats actually crazy because the file size is like 10x as big for ori.

All the feels and d'awww take up hard drive space.

Steam Profile
  • HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    Serious spoilers
    Oh good. I felt horrible enough letting them die

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    So Dragon's Dogma is pretty cheap right now and I've wanted to try that game for quite a while now, but I'm also trying to play a bunch of other games right that I barely have time so I really can't afford another, time-wise, so I guess I could buy it and then leave it in my library unplayed, but I don't like to do that, and why am I posting here anyway I have games to play.

• jclastjclast Registered User regular

It's gorgeous. I am not at all surprised that Ori's art assets take up way more space than Hollow Knight's.

camo_sig2.png
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    jclast wrote: »

It's gorgeous. I am not at all surprised that Ori's art assets take up way more space than Hollow Knight's.

To be fair both of the games are incredible looking, it's just 3D vs 2D.

• PoseidonPoseidon Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Lunar sale sponsored by

https://youtu.be/Eh5D15CsS-8?t=39

Poseidon on
  • EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Registered User regular
    Dac Vin wrote: »
    There should be a specific name for buying a massively cheap thing just to become eligible for a discount. The germans probably got such a term, as they do for everything.

In other news, I got both parts of Umineko No Naku Koro Ni, the discount, and an ultra-cheap game that isn't one of those hentai sliders y'all love to gift Pixie with. It is a japanese game though.

Gabensbanc.

Steam - DailyFatigueBar
    FFXIV - Milliardo Beoulve/Sargatanas
  • HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    New Humble Paradox Bundle 2019:

$1:
    • Age of Wonders II: The Wizard's Throne
    • Darkest Hour: A Hearts of Iron Game
    • Magicka 2
    • Crusader Kings II

BTA:
    • Age of Wonders III
    • Expansion - Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
    • Europa Universalis IV

$12:
    • Steel Division: Normandy 44
    • Age of Wonders III - Deluxe Edition DLC
    • Magicka 2 Deluxe Edition DLC
    • Europa Universalis IV - El Dorado

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    If anyone was interested in playing FFXIV past level 35, Twitch Prime users get FFXIV Starter Edition for free with their Amazon Subscription until May.
    If you ever wanted to get into the popular MMORPG Final Fantasy 14, now is your chance, as the game is free for Twitch Prime users on Windows, starting today until May 3.

In the base game, you can play up to level 50 and do all the content before the first Heavensward expansion. The Twitch Prime offer also gives 30 days of play time, which is more than enough time to get one or more of your favorite jobs to level 50. (The best part about FF14 is that your one character can be every job. No need to make alternate characters!)

The usual free trial for this game only allows players to get jobs to level 35 and participate in the story up until that level. It also restricts the use of linkshells (ways to communicate with your friends) and free companies (guilds).

• destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    If anyone was interested in playing FFXIV past level 35, Twitch Prime users get FFXIV Starter Edition for free with their Amazon Subscription until May.
    If you ever wanted to get into the popular MMORPG Final Fantasy 14, now is your chance, as the game is free for Twitch Prime users on Windows, starting today until May 3.

In the base game, you can play up to level 50 and do all the content before the first Heavensward expansion. The Twitch Prime offer also gives 30 days of play time, which is more than enough time to get one or more of your favorite jobs to level 50. (The best part about FF14 is that your one character can be every job. No need to make alternate characters!)

The usual free trial for this game only allows players to get jobs to level 35 and participate in the story up until that level. It also restricts the use of linkshells (ways to communicate with your friends) and free companies (guilds).

This is a great offer and everyone should take advantage if they can.

FF14 is great fun. I've played it a fair bit.

steam_sig.png
    I'm going to guess you can't take advantage of that if you already own the game but just have no sub time left... >.>

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    I'm going to guess you can't take advantage of that if you already own the game but just have no sub time left... >.>
    Correct. I tried.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    So PSA/general doom-and-gloom thing fyi:

It seems like the background fight about percent cuts with AAA devs also prompted Valve to change their storefront algorithm to push those larger developers more, and a lot of smaller developers are getting...starved out. Revenues aren't where they used to be due to lack of visibility (a friend of mine who's a dev says some people are seeing massive drops), and there's some predictions coming out that we may see a lot of small devs close shop because of a lack of a viable alternative right now (GOG is the next best bet but still doesn't have the push that Steam does/did). Particularly as the Epic/Valve pissing match seems to have them pivoting to cater to larger devs even more.

So basically, while it's spitting into the wind relative to the size of the whole market....if there's a dev who made a game you liked in the past, search out if they've released something new. Post recommendations in here to one another. Those devs may need it more than you think.

Jragghen on
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Can someone summarize what the Lunar sale and pig coins are all about?

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »

Very brief.

Today is the Lunar New Year. Which is the Year of the Pig. Thus Pig theme.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
    MNC Dover wrote: »

Make purchases and get coins(100 coins per $1 spent), which can be traded for pig-themed emoticons/profile cosmetics. Optionally you can also trade 15,000 coins for $5 off your next purchase but that's like $150 for a $5 discount which is just peak Valve.

You also get a one-time discount of $5 off of your next $30+ order right off the bat during the sale.

• DalantiaDalantia Registered User regular
    And you can turn your profile gold for a year for $160 total.

steam_sig.png
    DS Friend code: 3840-6605-3406
This discussion has been closed.