As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Apex Legends] Battle Royale from the makers of Titanfall. High OCTANE gameplay!

• Options
    EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    It's a separate game from TF2. If you're worried about being sucked into dropping money on cosmetics, you can earn in-game currency but the draw is definitely there to spend so be careful.

EriktheVikingGamer on
    Steam - DailyFatigueBar
    FFXIV - Milliardo Beoulve/Sargatanas
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    This looks good, I downloaded it last night but haven't had a chance to try it out yet. Will probably play a few matches tonight to give it a go. Previous BR experience is PUBG, Fortnite, BLOPS4, Battlerite, Realm Royale, and a couple other smaller ones on Steam. My favorite FPS one so far has been the BLOPS4, but I did really enjoy Realm Royale for a time, so maybe a combo of the two will be the one for me.

• Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I mostly hate BR games but I tried this on a whim after work yesterday...
    and then suddenly it was midnight.

Also, I find the "respawn your teammates" mechanic super satisfying to pull off. This was my best moment last night (sorry for the terrible quality).

Good times.
    We died very shortly later, but whatever =p.

Can't get my mic working in game to save my life, though no one I played with seemed to have any issues.

vamen on
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    I like how the vast majority of your xp comes from survival time.

Not great at the gunplay yet? Just keep in the game for at least five minutes and you will get a sizable chunk of xp towards an early level.

It has also given me three legendaries thus far so, yeah.

Was playing with some friends last night and basically from beginning to end the circle closed on us. I was Pathfinder.

We had a compound of three buildings secured by like 5 of his it ziplines. It was sweet.

• Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    So do you download this through TF2 or is it up in PC, PSN, XBone stores? I haven't checked yet. I want to try it out, but I'm a sucker for cosmetics and I'm afraid if I like it I'll start dropping all kinds of money on it :P

I had to stop playing Overwatch and Paladins because I was spending too much...

On PC you just download it as a stand-alone game through Origin. I presume on XBox and PS4 you just download it through their respective stores.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Oof, I forgot how awful I was at Titanfall's shooting. Maybe I should try the console version.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    a5ehren wrote: »
    Oof, I forgot how awful I was at Titanfall's shooting. Maybe I should try the console version.

The guns are also projectile instead of hitscan now too, gotta remember that for longer distances.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular

Surprise. Word of mouth works really well when you have a good reputation I guess.

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    Disrupter wrote: »
    So no titans and no wall running but still somehow super good? is that the consensus?

Don't come into this thinking it's a Titanfall game. It isn't, but it does have the same quality shooting.

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    This game is basically that Respawn looked at everything annoying from every BR game and said "Okay. Let's fix that."

And then they did. Honestly, this feels like a Blizzard product in the way it seems to utterly refine the Genre to its core.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    One thing I already wish for. Separate hot keys for health regen and shield regen.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Mvrck wrote: »
    This game is basically that Respawn looked at everything annoying from every BR game and said "Okay. Let's fix that."

And then they did. Honestly, this feels like a Blizzard product in the way it seems to utterly refine the Genre to its core.

What else does it do different other than the weapon attachment carryover thing? The game looks good, but I haven't seen it do anything all that different from other BR games other than auto switching your attachments to a new gun (which is pretty big, IMO)

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    Only tried a couple games but other noticeable improvements are the ping system being fairly robust and a class designed around shutting down campers

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    One thing I already wish for. Separate hot keys for health regen and shield regen.

There must be a faster way to switch the item in the quick slot but I couldn't figure it out. I'm guessing on console it's hard to make it two buttons, but let me at least quickly switch it somehow!

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »

There must be a faster way to switch the item in the quick slot but I couldn't figure it out. I'm guessing on console it's hard to make it two buttons, but let me at least quickly switch it somehow!

I saw what looked like streamers switching some other way but I might be wrong.

Also in a free crate I got a legendary Gibraltar skin that looks like he is wearing a US ww2 outfit complete with helmet.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    Maybe I was shrooming, but after the reveal yesterday I was flipping through some twitch streams and I thought I saw people downloading "high resolution textures" or something like that in the client. Anyone know anything about this?

• Options
    El MuchoEl Mucho Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Played this last night with my regular PUBG group. This was the most fun I've had in a BR in a long time. Lots of small iterations that I really like for BR. The movement though not as fast and fluid as Titanfall is still pretty excellent, the guns feel good and snappy. The pinging system is probably my favourite thing for BR. My friends and I struggle a lot in PUBG with accurate descriptive callouts during fights. I loved that I could spot players and ping a location so my team could get a quick idea of where enemies are.

I thought I'd hate ults and abilities but it adds a pretty cool dynamic of team members playing to roles. We had a rough start with the game getting the learning curve down but eventually ended the night on 2 second place finishes and 2 wins.

Super impressed after an evening of play.

Edit: I also really like the respawn idea. We had a couple hairy early fights but having one player go out and being able to get them back into the fight is excellent. Makes the hot drops a little more enticing. Also, really small change but knowing the number of squads left is neat and I like that once you are down to less than 10 players you know the number of squads but not players. Thought that was neat

El Mucho on
    BNet: ElMucho#1392
    Origin: theRealElMucho
  • Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    I feel like if you want to tick a lot of ASMR boxes, slide through the scorched/volcanic/muddy area.

• Options
    The thing where your drop out of the plane is synced up and it plays rad music is really great

I think it's probably good to split off close to the ground so you can cover more area for quick looting, unless you happen to be in a high traffic zone.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I like this game but I don't totally understand the guns yet. I was in a building last night with Peacekeeper and a guy came through the door way and I shot him, and then shot him again, and then I died because he mowed me down with an SMG. I definitely got the first shot in with the shotgun, and a second one, and I guess maybe he had more shields or better armor but I don't know what I could have done better and if the answer is sometimes you lose a gunfight because of loot disparity that's ok but right now it's hard for me to know. Snipers also feel kinda useless without optics and having one feels like a real disadvantage in the early game, as much as they might be vital late.

I definitely routinely screwed up using shield canisters and was generally carrying around a bunch of ammo for guns I didn't have so I have a long way to go before I'm approaching competent.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    So what I'm gathering from everything I've read on this is that it's basically better CoD:BLOPS4 but free?

Crap, this might be my first Battle Royale game.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    So what I'm gathering from everything I've read on this is that it's basically better CoD:BLOPS4 but free?

I've only played a few rounds but so far this seems like an excellent game to have as someone's first battle royale game. There are so many quality of life things they've added into this one that are going to be hard to go without in other games. Things like coordinating jumping together, the great contextual ping system, the ability to respawn team members.

• Options
    Zombie GandhiZombie Gandhi Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    I like this game but I don't totally understand the guns yet. I was in a building last night with Peacekeeper and a guy came through the door way and I shot him, and then shot him again, and then I died because he mowed me down with an SMG. I definitely got the first shot in with the shotgun, and a second one, and I guess maybe he had more shields or better armor but I don't know what I could have done better and if the answer is sometimes you lose a gunfight because of loot disparity that's ok but right now it's hard for me to know. Snipers also feel kinda useless without optics and having one feels like a real disadvantage in the early game, as much as they might be vital late.

I definitely routinely screwed up using shield canisters and was generally carrying around a bunch of ammo for guns I didn't have so I have a long way to go before I'm approaching competent.

I picked up a purple sniper early in one of my matches last night, and it was a lodestone. It felt like a wasted slot, but my instinct to hold onto the purple meant I refused to put it down, and instead was gunned down at close range by a Bloodhound because Bloodhounds.

Inventory management (particularly on console) has a learning curve for someone new to the genre.

• Options

If this is your first BR game, you're going to really enjoy it because it's really well done and you'll never be able to enjoy another BR game until the existing ones ape all the cool features (QoL or others) that this is doing.

If this isn't your first BR game, you're going to wonder how no one thought of all these little things to make this so great sooner.

• Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    Read an interesting article this morning about how pre-marketing this was sort of a no-win situation for EA:

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-02-05-ea-didnt-pre-announce-apex-legends-because-it-was-scared-to

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Hmm...not gonna lie I'm not really a fan of BR games but Apex seems to try and address a lot of the problems I have with them...

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Read an interesting article this morning about how pre-marketing this was sort of a no-win situation for EA:

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-02-05-ea-didnt-pre-announce-apex-legends-because-it-was-scared-to

I mean they aren't wrong.

EA. Nothing like traditional TF. Lootboxes.

Folks would have ripped it apart.

• Options
    Maybe I was shrooming, but after the reveal yesterday I was flipping through some twitch streams and I thought I saw people downloading "high resolution textures" or something like that in the client. Anyone know anything about this?

So the game on Origin is fully playable at like 36 or 39% The rest of the download is higher rez textures.

• Options
    Dragkonias wrote: »

I mean they aren't wrong.

EA. Nothing like traditional TF. Lootboxes.

Folks would have ripped it apart.

Also there was an immediate kneejerk reaction to the rumors of a Titanfall BR game - people were very pessimistic about it on principle. If they had announced it early it would have gotten a lot of anti-hype. Much better for people's first impression to be the word of mouth that it's actually really good.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Mvrck wrote: »

What else does it do different other than the weapon attachment carryover thing? The game looks good, but I haven't seen it do anything all that different from other BR games other than auto switching your attachments to a new gun (which is pretty big, IMO)

Things that are different from most other BR games:
    • Being able to revive fully downed teammates
    • The whole 'hero shooter' aspect
    • Being able to have a coordinated drop
    • I can't think of any other BR game that has a triple-barreled sniper rifle

I'm sure there are other things that are different...but that's just what springs to mind.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Kaboodles_The_AssassinKaboodles_The_Assassin Kill the meat. Save the metal.Registered User regular
    The hit indicator for shotguns is really cool

sXXjb1B.png
  • Options
    Oh, I forgot about the revive thing. That's pretty big too, Blackout did just have a similar thing but it was a limited time game mode. Realm Royale sort of does the hero shooter thing too. I'm not hot on giving one person sole control on where to drop, though. It's probably fine if you're in a group of friends, but I wouldn't trust most randos with that... Playing solos in PUBG and Fortnite, I always see like at least 70% of the players instantly hot dropping. I like to give myself a better chance than that.

• Options
    Oh, I forgot about the revive thing. That's pretty big too, Blackout did just have a similar thing but it was a limited time game mode. Realm Royale sort of does the hero shooter thing too. I'm not hot on giving one person sole control on where to drop, though. It's probably fine if you're in a group of friends, but I wouldn't trust most randos with that... Playing solos in PUBG and Fortnite, I always see like at least 70% of the players instantly hot dropping. I like to give myself a better chance than that.

You can break away from your team while dropping if you want, but having everyone drop together is such a good idea. Randos do tend to drop earlier (and this game will highlight a circle where really good loot is when you're dropping too, encouraging people to go there first and get spicy) but it also highly encourages team play to have you all stick together on the drop instead of ending up half a mile from each other.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    With Twitch being what it is, every big multi-player game should consider launching like this. Reveal stream to Go Play It Now! to major Twitch streamers immediately jumping on it (paid to or no, it's fair) feels like the exact right way to build positive buzz if you're sure the game is good. It could be a spectacular failure too, but it feels like EA and Respawn played this situation perfectly.

• Options
    I'm planning on streaming some of it tonight instead of my regular MTGA stuff because I had such a blast with it last night. It certainly seems like a good streamable game. It's been a while since we've had a "Here's the game, and you can play it right now" kinda thing and in the age of twitch those definitely seem more viable since it's pretty much free advertising.

• Options

It's better for everyone to drop in the wrong place than for individual players to be scattering to their own favorite spots. I think this game does a pretty good job of convincing people that you really do need to stick together.

• Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    Even though I'm not much for Battle Royale games, this game looks like it's such a decent iteration on the theme that I'm significantly tempted. Is this the thing that's going to make me break down and finally install Origin, even though I really don't want to?

I may be crazy, but the Titanfall aesthetic and skill-set hero motif kind of gives me a LawBreakers vibe, and I miss me some LawBreakers.

• Options
    I think a better system, if they want to do the sync jump thing, would be to let everyone pick a spot to drop and then the game randomly picks one of those. Just giving control to one person who's probably going to hot drop me, doesn't sound great to me.

Fingers crossed they add solos at some point.

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Me and my buddies had a good amount of fun last night, but we didn't ever come to coming close to achieving anything resembling success.

The most notable moments were:

1. A manic slap-fight aboard the Loot-ship, in which many many people were knocked and then crawled off the ship, which meant we are all easy pickings for the folks smart enough to avoid the Loot-ship.
    2. The time @rndmhero and I were watching @squall99x sneak up on an unsuspecting Bangalore and proceed to precisely shoot an outline around the opponent. No aim assist on Console ain't easy, folks.

Overall, I don't really like BRs, and part of that is that the substantial learning curve of map awareness and item management is just not something I care to dedicate myself to. But I had a lot of fun zipping around with Grapple-Robo and that will suffice for the time being.

• Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I'll need to try this out this weekend. The maps wouldn't happen to have variable weather do they? I'm a sucker for thunder storms and rain.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012