As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

join us in glorious pod-hood [jobs]

• Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    A civil and a mechanical engineer.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Sleep wrote: »
    Holy shit my train is just impossible this morning there's giant crowds headed in for the parade today, someone on the platform is blaring house music, bad house music, like top 40 remix house music at 8:30 in the morning.

The buses at 9.45 were also bullshit, but mostly just filled with old people. At least coming from the west.

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    as a joke we had a multiplication table on the wall in the control room.

an unimpressed manager got rid of it

• Options
    My boss at my last job had a little pictorial mnemonic above his desk about what each part of a PID did

But he was an artist by training and not mathematically inclined, so we never made fun.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Holy shit my train is just impossible this morning there's giant crowds headed in for the parade today, someone on the platform is blaring house music, bad house music, like top 40 remix house music at 8:30 in the morning.

The buses at 9.45 were also bullshit, but mostly just filled with old people. At least coming from the west.

But nic, aren't we now the old people??

• Options
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    tynic wrote: »

But nic, aren't we now the old people??

I mean yes
    but I'm talking remembering-WWII-fondly-old

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Oh i am in peak cranky old man mode this morning. Salem has a college in it, this morning was a festival of drunken college kids fuckin up my commuter train. Ive finally made it to work 2 hours late.

Sleep on
  • Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    BlazeFire wrote: »
    Cello wrote: »
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    Solar wrote: »
    Liiya wrote: »
    "Are there clouds at night?" - colleague who has never look up at night.

i had a colleague that didn't realize that water expanded when frozen, she ended up in a Forbes 30 under 30 thing...

Had another that had Stress = Force / Area on his dry erase board, which for an engineer is like having to have your name tattooed on your forehead.

I expect that lots of people don't know water expands when it freezes

She was an engineer and a new homeowner, she shoulda known!

If anything, being an engineer makes it more likely she wouldn't know

Common sense is especially less common in our profession

I'm assuming based on Dyna's background that these were mechanical engineers as well? I could see an electrical engineer not needing to know (professionally, at least) things like Stress = Force/Area (or maybe it was a joke). I know I've jokingly written things like V=IR.

I'm a mechanical engineer, and this would still be entirely unsurprising coming from another mech

I found our degree mostly split between Future Theoretical Engineers, Future Engineers Who Do Actual Design Work, and Future Project Managers, and each of those groups had their own shortcomings specifically

I'd be unsurprised to find out PM track people have forgotten all but the equations for velocity and acceleration, or to find out one of the theory-type folks forgot that a space heater produces heat and sometimes fire depending on what you put on it

Obviously all designers are perfect, though, so

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    as an engineer heavy on design, this checks out

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    I’ll be honest, I’ve used so many specialty programs or pre-built excel files to do calculations over the last decade or so that I don’t think I could quote more than the most basic formulas off the top of my head. But gimme a sec to look stuff up and of course I can do it. What’s really important is knowing how to find information and how to apply it.

I’ve worked with a lot of engineers that are great at crunching numbers but will hand back designs with glaring safety mistakes or a huge lack of understanding of how the thing they’re working on fits into the overall design. Or they get so caught up in the details that they spend a week getting a calc down to the fourth decimal point when I just need a simple ballpark answer now. It’s so much more important to be able to be practical and efficient.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I’m judging people real hard on some “I felt the crunch of ice neath my feet! I must remain at home, where it is safe!”

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    How much snow did you actually get in Washington? I heard 4-5 inches? We had nearly a foot and that was fine, it was the -30 temp that closed everything

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    I was in only two days last week. Yesterday was icy enough most of my coworkers stayed home.

And now the snow is coming down hard enough people are planning to leave early.

The weather is really conflicting with trying to be productive.

At least I bus so I can relax if traffic backs up.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    I’m judging people real hard on some “I felt the crunch of ice neath my feet! I must remain at home, where it is safe!”
    School closing was the biggest factor for us. Looking outside I'd say we only got 3 or 4 inches maybe?

If there was some field work that needed doing or something I needed to respond to I'm totally capable, but for the most part at this moment my job is readin and writin and so it's nice to be able to do that at home.

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    We got four inches where we are.

So Mori’s dad didn’t feel comfortable driving either so I MADE IT IN. My Prius-C skidded everywhere but I made it. At one point I got stuck behind a poor little Kia Sentra that kept stalling up a hill. I cheered it on and it made it.

We live on top of a hill with a huge dip soooo that’s gonna be fun. I’m going to leave by 4 pm. The road my work is on was well-sanded but that hill? Nothing.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod

For me it's more like "I must remain at home, so it does not take me 180 minutes to get to work because SL is useless!"

• Options
    This was the state of the roads this morning:

2019-02-05%2008.32.35.jpg

• Options
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I should've taken some photos of the snow on Friday. It was pretty novel for here. But I was too busy getting stuck in it.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    The roads this morning for me were all white from salt, and looked like today would be a normal commute. I feel lied to.

The only day since last Monday that has been good for commuting was Friday.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    I wish we only had that much snow :(

I had to get to our back shed last night to get the roof rake to get snow off our roof (because it's blocking the air intake for our bathroom)...except I couldn't find the whole rake in the piles of snow, once I'd cleared a 20 foot long, 3 foot high, shovel-width path to my back shed. So now I can't flush my upstairs toilet until the snow melts or I venture back there again to search a snow drift for the actual shovel/rake part of the roof rake.

#CanadaStories

• Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    As a Canadian that doesn't look bad but we're equipped to deal with a lot of snow and used to driving in it. When I lived in Seoul one winter we got a little snow and nobody could deal. People were shoveling their steps with cutting boards and bowls.

• Options
    Echo wrote: »

For me it's more like "I must remain at home, so it does not take me 180 minutes to get to work because SL is useless!"

This too. It makes no sense for me to spend three extra hours driving to and from and office in order to do something I can just as well do from home.

• Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    Took a mental health day yesterday. Wish I'd taken two.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    We had between 15-20 callouts yesterday storewide because of the snow.

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    The snow meant my 3 hour drive to a cottage near Looe (it's in Cornwall) took 6 hours. Fuck the snow

• Options
    Taya wrote: »
    As a Canadian that doesn't look bad but we're equipped to deal with a lot of snow and used to driving in it.

Yeah, Mori and I both have hatchbacks with summer tires. Ooops!

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

It only takes an inch or two of unplowed snow to make driving enormously unsafe.

• Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    BlazeFire wrote: »
    Solar wrote: »
    Liiya wrote: »
    "Are there clouds at night?" - colleague who has never look up at night.

i had a colleague that didn't realize that water expanded when frozen, she ended up in a Forbes 30 under 30 thing...

Had another that had Stress = Force / Area on his dry erase board, which for an engineer is like having to have your name tattooed on your forehead.

I expect that lots of people don't know water expands when it freezes

She was an engineer and a new homeowner, she shoulda known!

If anything, being an engineer makes it more likely she wouldn't know

Common sense is especially less common in our profession

I'm assuming based on Dyna's background that these were mechanical engineers as well? I could see an electrical engineer not needing to know (professionally, at least) things like Stress = Force/Area (or maybe it was a joke). I know I've jokingly written things like V=IR.

I'm a mechanical engineer, and this would still be entirely unsurprising coming from another mech

I found our degree mostly split between Future Theoretical Engineers, Future Engineers Who Do Actual Design Work, and Future Project Managers, and each of those groups had their own shortcomings specifically

I'd be unsurprised to find out PM track people have forgotten all but the equations for velocity and acceleration, or to find out one of the theory-type folks forgot that a space heater produces heat and sometimes fire depending on what you put on it

Obviously all designers are perfect, though, so

That is a similar breakdown of engineering streams from my experience as well.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »

It only takes an inch or two of unplowed snow to make driving enormously unsafe.

Especially when the source is a goosey neighbor who shovels their driveway into the street/carriage road.

Thankfully, we're in our new house now, which has changed our commute from 20 minutes down the highway to less than 5 minutes.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Yeah, I mean, everyone likes to make fun of that photo from the snowstorm Raleigh got and a car on the highway on fire, but Orange County and Wake County each had fewer than 100 pieces of snow clearing equipment and some people were trapped on the road for upwards of twelve hours.

It's easy to go "pshaw, it's just snow you babies" when you live in areas that get quickly cleared (I'm guilty of it myself), but if the roads aren't cleared and someone doesn't have a car that's well optimized for driving in snow and they're unfamiliar with driving in snow and thus more likely to be tense and overreact...a couple inches can genuinely be extremely dangerous.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    79xdq8uzpf4i.jpg
    View from my front porch. This was the picture I sent my boss this morning.

• Options
    Yeah see that right there is a road I would really prefer not to drive on unless there was an emergency. And I grew up in a snowy area!

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    I left on Thursday and it was cool but not even rainy. I fly back tonight into that, and I am not dressed for the train ride + walk home

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    Snow driving is fine as long as you have reasonable tires.

Ive been driving an FRS through seven canadian winters thanks to decent tires.

• Options
    3clipse wrote: »
    Yeah, I mean, everyone likes to make fun of that photo from the snowstorm Raleigh got and a car on the highway on fire, but Orange County and Wake County each had fewer than 100 pieces of snow clearing equipment and some people were trapped on the road for upwards of twelve hours.

It's easy to go "pshaw, it's just snow you babies" when you live in areas that get quickly cleared (I'm guilty of it myself), but if the roads aren't cleared and someone doesn't have a car that's well optimized for driving in snow and they're unfamiliar with driving in snow and thus more likely to be tense and overreact...a couple inches can genuinely be extremely dangerous.

I think how common snow is in your area is probably the biggest influencing factor. I've told the story here before of how my first winter here in Portland I was the first one to go home early on a day that snow was coming and my coworkers all gave me shit for it because I was from Alaska. I was all "I'm not the one with the problem - you are." I got home quickly and safely and everyone else who stayed til the end of the day was doomed to a 4 - 6 hour commute. One of our guys had to ditch his vehicle on the highway.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I stayed home because it's fucking cold and I can do that

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    The amount of snow has nothing to do with driving being safe. It is entirely on your area's infrastructure's dealing with it that makes driving safe or not. Fuck everyone trying to make their "my snow is worse, suck it up" stories make them sound cool or whatever.

• Options
    Karl wrote: »
    The snow meant my 3 hour drive to a cottage near Looe (it's in Cornwall) took 6 hours. Fuck the snow

Stupidest weather I ever hit was a blizzard on bodmin Moor at 11pm one February. Visibility was so low it was practically negative, I ended up pulling off into a servo until the worst had passed because I genuinely was not sure which side of the road i was on.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    In NY the plows usually had the roads cleared by the time the snow finished falling and the private plow guy would come through and do our driveway in the middle of the night. Now that I'm in Raleigh if it snows I don't leave the house for three days because I know the roads are going to be solid ice that entire time.

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
This discussion has been closed.