As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

THIS IS NO LONGER THE LEFT 4 DEAD THREAD. DON'T POST HERE IDIOTS. LOCK ME!

• AngryPuppyAngryPuppy Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'm waiting with baited breath for this game, the only qualm I have at all is with the weapon selection - and thats really more personal preference than anything else. Stylistically I don't really like the Uzi, unless you're talking some one handed john woo shit. Obviously the pace of the game informs the need for automatic weapons, I'm not arguing that. From a immersion stand point I prefer zombie games that keep it down to hand guns, revolvers, shotguns and hunting rifles. This is just pure nitpicking because the game appeals to me on every other count, really can't wait. It's still early 2008 last I heard, but it's been quiet for a while.

AngryPuppy on
    PSN: AngryPuppyEsq
  • UberEvUberEv Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    UberEv wrote: »
    That zombie master game was decent, but from that review of L4D they sound like completely different beasts. After your preview though I am so incredibly pumped for this, I wish they would at least say "Well, We're like 90% done... so calculate the time between our start and you may be able to extrapolate a release window"... something like that. Man, anything at this point.

Edit: Also, and yes I am a heathen for this, I just want to play it on my Xbox on a gamepad. I was huge PC Gamer years back, but with the Xbox and a lot of the PC games coming out for it, I just seem to be enjoying that side of life more. This would be especially true with TF2 in the sense that I really enjoy it with a gamepad. I don't know, perhaps because it is just a bit more accessible with all the live features and stuff.

Hey, didn't you play TF2 with me just a few nights ago? Good stuff. Dustbowl was epic :P

I thought they were pretty close to done with L4D, because the last few gametrailers they had months ago were of what looked like close-to-finished gameplay.

Yeah we did come to think of it. I'll try to find you to send a friend invite, but shoot one to me if I don't do it soon enough. TF2 on the 360 is quite awesome, and I just discovered I host a lag-free server.

UberEv on
  • JastJast Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Hmmm, looks interesting, I'm really interested in co-op games. I would of bought Dead Rising if it had coop.

Jast on
    Jast39.png
  • DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I just wanted to drop in and say that this game has a feature that all of us have dreamed of for years and years. That's right right ladies and gentleman, this game not only features the ability to close doors after you've gone through them, but immediately following the closing of the door, the door can then be locked for maximal zombie stopping efficiency!

Locking doors, a necessity in any zombie apocalypse.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Maybe a game trailer for it? That would provide a satisfying morsel of awesome to keep us mildly happy until it gets released.

There is quite a bit of gameplay footage and a few trailers. Google is your friend.

You are very wrong about the release date as well. They were going to release it around the same time as the Orange Box, but pushed it back until 08 so as not to compete with TF2.

They have had playable demos at Quakecon and everytime the press gets their hands on it they say it feels ready to go. 1up has a really good video of some of their people talking about it after playing a demo.

Drool on
  • SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    I... may have to purchase an XBox 360. Are they still bricking?

Squashua on
    edited January 2008
    DeMoN wrote: »
    I just wanted to drop in and say that this game has a feature that all of us have dreamed of for years and years. That's right right ladies and gentleman, this game not only features the ability to close doors after you've gone through them, but immediately following the closing of the door, the door can then be locked for maximal zombie stopping efficiency!

Not only can you lock doors, but unless it's a sturdy safe room door the zombies will start clawing at it and eventually break it apart piece by piece giving you a chance to shoot them in the face through the cracks.

Drool on
  • fkn creepfkn creep Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    omg bubonic zombies naoooo! (sorry)

fkn creep on
    t1g3rstyl3.png
  • gorea xgorea x Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    ANY FUCKING GAME THAT IS MADE BY THE GUYS WHO MADE HALF-LIFE IS NO DOBT AMAZING!

and someone said it MIGHT be bundled w/half-life ep:3, if that IS true , then it will no doubt be included with PORTAL 2 OMGZ!!!!

i hope its called the blue box this time.

gorea x on
    for every turkey you eat, i shall eat three.
    edited January 2008
    Are you retarded or just an asshole?

Drool on
  • SolidGobiSolidGobi Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    DeMoN wrote: »

Sigged! I'm really excited about this game as well, I'm hoping for a Feb release dated but we will see. My guess for the most used zombie boss will be the hunter. Invisible, fast, and spits out smog that stuns players...eww.

On a different note any one know if they have fixed the god awful lag in zombie master I wanted to like the mod but with like 5 people in the servers everyone was getting something like 300 ping bad times...

SolidGobi on
    edited January 2008
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOByjiKnubI&feature=related

Watch this video to hype yourself up for the game. Warning two commercials before the goodness.

SolidGobi on
    edited January 2008
    SolidGobi wrote: »

Watch this video to hype yourself up for the game. Warning two commercials before the goodness.

Well, that video was incredible, I added it to the OP. The gameplay looks so finished there, so I really can't imagine that we have much longer to wait on this one. One gripe about that video though is that the camera guy feels the need to randomly look at the players for 10 seconds in the middle of the action, but besides that it is an excellent showcase for the game. Any idea how old that gameplay is?

UberEv on
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Im sure they showed it most recently at a ridiculously huge lan fest in Europe somewhere. Im going to guess Sweden.

Many people said at the time, months and months ago, that the game is just done. I dont doubt it has been delayed to miss the Fall 07 crunch. Wouldnt surprise me if its going to go gold any second or already has.

The_Scarab on
    edited January 2008
    SolidGobi wrote: »

Well, that video was incredible, I added it to the OP. The gameplay looks so finished there, so I really can't imagine that we have much longer to wait on this one. One gripe about that video though is that the camera guy feels the need to randomly look at the players for 10 seconds in the middle of the action, but besides that it is an excellent showcase for the game. Any idea how old that gameplay is?

I have no idea how old the gameplay is, but I'm pretty sure I watched that video in like October. I just like the video because it shows how into the game the players are seems very fun. Here are two more videos I found that show a solid 18 min of gameplay during Quakecon whenever that was...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_C_BUDOeT8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODonflEU4Q4&feature=related

SolidGobi on
    edited January 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Im sure they showed it most recently at a ridiculously huge lan fest in Europe somewhere. Im going to guess Sweden.

Many people said at the time, months and months ago, that the game is just done. I dont doubt it has been delayed to miss the Fall 07 crunch. Wouldnt surprise me if its going to go gold any second or already has.

I suppose that would make sense, you wouldn't want every title using Source to come out the same week. I'll be honest though, the one thing I really want on the Xbox 360 is Counter Strike: Source. I really enjoy playing that with my father, but the gamepad is just so much easier for him to deal with. (Also that fact that I live 7000 miles away from him makes troubleshooting his PC difficult when he uses it for gaming). Regardless of whenever we get L4D, It will be a good game to play with him.

So let's all just hope really loud that we'll see it by the end of Feb.

Edit: Added all the videos to the OP and restructured a bit so it's easier to read. If this thread keeps to the first page I'll do some more work on the OP.

UberEv on
  • METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    This is the only game besides Brawl that I'm looking forward too. Not enough good zombie games out there, especially with co-op. I bought my 360 for Dead Rising, hated the save system and setup, so now I want my zombie cravings to be fulfilled.

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • FiziksFiziks Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    If they don't have a shopping mall level, there is something wrong.

Fiziks on
    Cvcwu.jpg
  • SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    edited January 2008
    TurtleRock was apparently just added to Valve's fighting power. This means one of two things to me: 1) L4D is finished and Valve seeing the quality decided to absorb them, OR Valve is now involved and 3 year delay announced.

Here is the release from Kotaku:
    "We have been seeing very strong growth with Steam and Source, our content distribution and development platforms, up over 150% over the last 12 months. Given our expectations for Left 4 Dead and our long-standing relationships with members of the Turtle Rock team, this was an easy decision. It also gives us a base from which to expand our development activities in the Los Angeles area," said Gabe Newell, president of Valve.

"Left 4 Dead fills a long-standing demand gamers have had for a coop first-person action experience, and it will also help Valve's expansion into the console market," added Doug Lombardi, Valve's VP of marketing.

"Valve has had great success bringing in projects and teams such as Team Fortress and Portal. As I spent time working and talking with the creators of those products over the past several years, it became clear that this was the right next step for myself, my colleagues at Turtle Rock, our customers, and our products," said Michael Booth, founder and CEO of Turtle Rock Studios. "We are excited to be a part of such a visionary and forward-thinking company."

UberEv on
    edited January 2008
    Nah they have been working very closely with Valve already so they've always been involved. This might have had something to do with the inital delay to sometime in 08, but hopefully it will come out soon.

It definately won't take another 3 years.

Drool on
    edited January 2008
    Drool wrote: »
    Nah they have been working very closely with Valve already so they've always been involved. This might have had something to do with the inital delay to sometime in 08, but hopefully it will come out soon.

It definately won't take another 3 years.

I was simply using hyperbole, I am not expecting it to take another three years. Plus from that ad for Left4Dead at the Xbox 360's Orange Box main screen this was kind of expected.

UberEv on
  • RookRook Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    TurtleRock was apparently just added to Valve's fighting power. This means one of two things to me: 1) L4D is finished and Valve seeing the quality decided to absorb them, OR Valve is now involved and 3 year delay announced.

"We have been seeing very strong growth with Steam and Source, our content distribution and development platforms, up over 150% over the last 12 months. Given our expectations for Left 4 Dead and our long-standing relationships with members of the Turtle Rock team, this was an easy decision. It also gives us a base from which to expand our development activities in the Los Angeles area," said Gabe Newell, president of Valve.

"Left 4 Dead fills a long-standing demand gamers have had for a coop first-person action experience, and it will also help Valve's expansion into the console market," added Doug Lombardi, Valve's VP of marketing.

"Valve has had great success bringing in projects and teams such as Team Fortress and Portal. As I spent time working and talking with the creators of those products over the past several years, it became clear that this was the right next step for myself, my colleagues at Turtle Rock, our customers, and our products," said Michael Booth, founder and CEO of Turtle Rock Studios. "We are excited to be a part of such a visionary and forward-thinking company."

Both Shawn Elliot of GfW to Tim Edwards (I think) of PC Gamer UK have basically said that when they last previewed L4D it was finished, bug free, and ready to review. And this was before Orange Box was released.

I think PC Gamer UK has the best explanation in that they're waiting for the next part of Steam to be up an running before they release. TF2 came with achievements and the beginnings of steam community, L4D will launch with improved community functionality (invites into games etc) and also online stat tracking so you can see who's a nasty tk'er.

Rook on
    edited January 2008
    Rook wrote: »

Both Shawn Elliot of GfW to Tim Edwards (I think) of PC Gamer UK have basically said that when they last previewed L4D it was finished, bug free, and ready to review. And this was before Orange Box was released.

I think PC Gamer UK has the best explanation in that they're waiting for the next part of Steam to be up an running before they release. TF2 came with achievements and the beginnings of steam community, L4D will launch with improved community functionality (invites into games etc) and also online stat tracking so you can see who's a nasty tk'er.

Sounds reasonable, perhaps the 360 port is also causing the delay? If they wanted to release both PC and 360 at once, and the 360 needed a few extra months that could also cause the small delay. Regardless I hope this comes out as soon as possible.

I also gave that Zombie Master mod a second go and I gotta say: On the decent maps with no assholes it is actually pretty fun. Although it still leaves a bit to be desired. Zombie Panic was also very well polished, but the issue was that the guns are simply too weak. A whole clip didn't even phase a zombie which always ended with the zombies winning the round.

UberEv on
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Fiziks wrote: »

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • ZeonZeon Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I suppose that would make sense, you wouldn't want every title using Source to come out the same week. I'll be honest though, the one thing I really want on the Xbox 360 is Counter Strike: Source.

Honestly i was kind of shocked that CS:S wasnt part of Orange Box, atleast on the console side. I imagine theyre waiting to either release it on its own, or release it as part of the next "orange box" when HL:EP3 comes out. That also might be what theyre waiting for with L4D.

Zeon on
    btworbanner.jpg
    Check out my band, click the banner.
  • DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Fiziks wrote: »

The great thing is, even if they don't have a mall level, somebody out there will no doubt make one.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Edit: Also, and yes I am a heathen for this, I just want to play it on my Xbox on a gamepad. I was huge PC Gamer years back, but with the Xbox and a lot of the PC games coming out for it, I just seem to be enjoying that side of life more. This would be especially true with TF2 in the sense that I really enjoy it with a gamepad. I don't know, perhaps because it is just a bit more accessible with all the live features and stuff.
    Fine, break my heart. :cry:

For me, one of the most exciting prospects about L4D is getting to play with you, Fractal, and Dog. I knew you, and especially Fractal, would want to play on 360 and now Dog is refusing to play anything until he upgrades his PC (I'm not holding my breath). My last hope is for some kind of PC/360 compatibility but I know it isn't going to happen.

Just know that, when your brains are being devoured, I could have saved you if you hadn't made me use a thumbstick.

Bama on
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    Great.

That means I'll get the game six years from now, and when it's released on the 360, it won't work and when it does, it'll have horrible match making.

Heh.

I heard a rumor a while back that there could be an "Orange Box 2" with Episode 3, Left 4 Dead, Day of Defeat, and an updated CS.

Sheep on
  • Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Sleep wrote: »
    Great.

That means I'll get the game six years from now, and when it's released on the 360, it won't work and when it does, it'll have horrible match making.

Heh.

I heard a rumor a while back that there could be an "Orange Box 2" with Episode 3, Left 4 Dead, Day of Defeat, and an updated CS.

Sounds pretty silly due to the fact that one of those games is close to release, 2 are unannounced, and 1 is a good year and a half away

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Heh, Valve owned it for all of one day before it got delayed. :D (I'm kidding about it being Valve's fault, of course. :))
    Previously scheduled to arrive during Q1 2008, the forthcoming co-op zombie shooter Left 4 Dead (PC, X360) will now hit in the late summer, Valve has revealed to Shacknews.
    http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/50710

Undead Scottsman on
  • JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Heh, Valve owned it for all of one day before it got delayed. :D (I'm kidding about it being Valve's fault, of course. :))
    Previously scheduled to arrive during Q1 2008, the forthcoming co-op zombie shooter Left 4 Dead (PC, X360) will now hit in the late summer, Valve has revealed to Shacknews.
    They're just going to keep delaying it until they can release it with Episode 3 in the Holiday season of 2009.

JJ on
  • BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    JJ wrote: »
    They're just going to keep delaying it until they can release it with Episode 3 in the Holiday season of 2015.

Fix'd

BlueDestiny on
  • JastJast Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    JJ wrote: »
    They're just going to keep delaying it until they can release it with Episode 3 in the Holiday season of 2009.

I was really excited that I could be playing this game by March. Now it's delayed, argh.

Jast on
    Jast39.png
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Rook wrote: »

You already can invite people to games in Steam, it's just that the option doesn't always show up. I have discovered that if you're on a game server and the option isn't showing, you can get it to appear by setting your status to offline and then back to online.

I'm looking forward to L4D, but if, for some reason, the system requirements are any higher than those of the Orange Box, I won't be able to play it.

Peewi on
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Peewi wrote: »

I'm looking forward to L4D, but if, for some reason, the system requirements are any higher than those of the Orange Box, I won't be able to play it.
    This is also a considerable concern of mine.

Xagarath on
    edited January 2008
    Apparently it is late-summer early fall now, which just sends me into a spiral of sadness. I just don't understand this at all: If the game was almost done last October, how the fuck does it suddenly need an extra year development time? It's not like when your planning this stuff out you "miss" a year that is needed, especially when all the reviewers are saying "This looks finished, Let us review it now!". I guess the only logical choice is Valve is delaying it for strategic reasons, but it is still maddening and ultimately saddening.

Edit: Didn't see the previous post about the delay, however the rest of my post remains valid.

UberEv on
  • Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Orange Box 2 anyone?

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • fkn creepfkn creep Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Oh god! TEH ZOMBIES!! HOW I LOVE THEE!!
    Why must it be delayed?

fkn creep on
    t1g3rstyl3.png
  • Inglorious CoyoteInglorious Coyote Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    This game is so bought.