As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Auto Chess] Drodo's Auto Chess, Dota Underlords, and Teamfight Tactics!

• UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    WlPkZxhh.jpg
    Game of the day. Was behind all game and was banking gold until I had the last second till level 9 and less than 15hp left when I just rolled my entire stash to replace my 3 warrior 1*Lycan/2*Sladar/1*Doom + 2*SF/2*SandKing/2*ShadowShaman/2x2*Enchantress midgame line up. Phew! I even shot myself in the foot fielding two demons and running one less unit for one round. Okay fine, I was also lucky to get a Demon Edge to complete a Daedalus for my SF at round 30. SCORE!

Once I rolled that last Techies I knew I won :D

UrQuanLord88 on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
  • StationaryStationary Registered User regular
    The razor change especially in those patch notes seems smart. I was seeing him a lot and that double hit was rough. What's the general feeling of Lycan? I got him to 3 on my last win and he gets pretty tanky and his damage felt solid, add in his ability to summon in pups and man he felt great as one of my better units in that warrior comp.

I would also be down with playing some custom lobbies one evening.

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Lycan seems broke, but he's rare so it's hard to 3* IMO. His wolves count as assassin's too, so Lycan + two other warriors with an assassin team has been really good.

I played a game yesterday and getting 6 different warriors early on carried me to second place. It really didn't even matter what my other units were. My friend beat me because of elves and aoes. I needed some mages but it was too late by the time I figured it out.

KoopahTroopah on
  • KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    My first win!

xpwhlfbxodq4.png

Everything just seemed to go right this time? Felt like I was having some bad luck all night (finishing like 5/6th). Couldn't get a break to get rolling. This time I got timbersaw? (goblin mech $2) to 2* early and he carried me through the mid game.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
    Lycan seems broke, but he's rare so it's hard to 3* IMO. His wolves count as assassin's too, so Lycan + two other warriors with an assassin team has been really good.

I played a game yesterday and getting 6 different warriors early on carried me to second place. It really didn't even matter what my other units were. My friend beat me because of elves and aoes. I needed some mages but it was too late by the time I figured it out.

Wait you mean it counts towards the assassin bonus or do they just crit like assassin's do?

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    They have the assassin tag, so they should count towards the bonus, but I don't know if the synergies are calculated at the beginning of the round or if they update mid round after the wolves spawn. In any case, the wolves get the assassin bonus if you have at least two other different assassins.

KoopahTroopah on
    They have the assassin tag, so they should count towards the bonus, but I don't know if the synergies are calculated at the beginning of the round or if they update mid round after the wolves spawn. In any case, the wolves get the assassin bonus if you have at least two other different assassins.

Calculated at the start of the round.

steam_sig.png

You needed some Naga for the easy magic resist bonus imo

urquanlord88.png
    edited February 2019
    Yeah there were outs, I just didn't see them in time before I started taking like 10+ damage a round.

Game is more fun than I originally gave it credit for, I'm still surprised at the sheer amount of hype and praise it is getting though for a Dota 2 custom game. It busted 200k concurrent on the 3rd, meanwhile Artifact is like under 1k? Crazy town.

KoopahTroopah on
    KafkaAU wrote: »
    My first win!

Everything just seemed to go right this time? Felt like I was having some bad luck all night (finishing like 5/6th). Couldn't get a break to get rolling. This time I got timbersaw? (goblin mech $2) to 2* early and he carried me through the mid game.

Had a couple more games after this and got 2nd and 3rd I think. Think I’m picking up a few things finally. Was up to knight 6. Bishop here I come!

steam_sig.png
  • shergakshergak Registered User regular
    Just won the oddest game using a dragon/mage/warlock comp. Fell really early to 40% odd (one of the players had doom 2 by round 10, along with venomancer, so losing to him was almost 20%), but clawed back on the strength of lvl 2 Dragonknight, Puck and Viper. MVP though, was lvl 3 Ogre Magi that soaked up so much damage and actually let me do damage.

Ah fuck I had to go against 6 elves team when I finally managed to put together Troll Warlord 3*
    I should really improve my late game and build to counter my opponent

urquanlord88.png
  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    it really sucks getting no items through the level 20 wave without losing any of the npc encounters when i watch the top players in the game get 6+

the extreme randomness in items is a bit much imo

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Yeah, a decrease in item variance would be nice

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'd say a solid 40+% of this is praying to rngesus.

edited February 2019
    Man this was a crazy game. Had shit luck at the start and got nothing for ages. Was down to 16% health and 7th then bam 2* dragon knight online quickly followed by a second 2* dragon knight. Win streaked my way to the top. Finally got the 3* in the last round. Forgot to put the lich in I had been saving waiting for the 2nd dragon knight to clear a space. Knight-8 now.

a1vkuta77e6o.png

Sometimes I still don't quite understand why I lose (aside from luck sometimes). I lost a game tonight with a very similar comp to what I won with just now and then got beaten again the next match when I used a very similar comp to the one I just got beaten with, and they were using my first comp.

KafkaAU on
    steam_sig.png
    Positioning and items usually determine equal strength comps, I would assume. Positioning usually determines which abilities are used first, which is likely to swing each round one way or another.

urquanlord88.png
    Positioning and items usually determine equal strength comps, I would assume. Positioning usually determines which abilities are used first, which is likely to swing each round one way or another.

or sometimes your disruptor fires off at the one enemy randomly not in the team 4 times in a row and you go from 1st to 3rd all at once in the endgame.

rng is cruel.

aeNqQM9.jpg
    Also, there's a little rock paper scissors that changes over the course of the game, as well as the difference between win/loss is often "did razor clip the back line or not" or "did lone druid get silenced"

Thats why Doom is an asshole, for silencing my <insert critical unit here>. Coaxing the AI to do what you want and screw up your enemy team's AI is part of the game. This is why Lina ult's Venomancer's wards and is the worst unit in the game: (Exhibit A) https://gfycat.com/samecarelesskillifish

urquanlord88.png
    please game, my last 3 games i haven't gotten a single item before the level 30 creep wave.

a level 30 quarterstaff isn't exactly blowing the doors off.

aeNqQM9.jpg
    Highrolled my way from Bishop 2 to Bishop 5 in 2 games, feels good. I won the second game by turn 28, the game just literally handed me everything. Shadow Fiend on 4. Double SF by 7. Enigma on 19. Tidehunter on 26. Even had a Lycan 2 and Lone Druid 2 to smorc people down harder.

i had a game last night where by round 3 i had 6 enchantresses and didn't get another druid to combine them until turn 15. i also checked and nobody else had any druid units.

it was very sunk cost fallacy by then, but damnit i was getting that 3* for 6.

aeNqQM9.jpg
    I nearly turned around a lost cause into a win just now, I started goblin/mech but then realized by about turn 5 everyone else did as well and let myself lose a few rounds whole I switched to warriors and druids. In the end it did not go my way as some positioning errors led to my enchantress and lone druid just kind of hanging out not attacking for a bit while everything else got slaughtered but hey at least thats on me and not just bad luck. I also had a weird moment where I had all 4 druid types on the board and was trying to combine 2 level 2 enchantress' into a 3 and it just wouldn't, ended up losing a round when it auto sent back the wrong piece because of time running out too.

I almost never go goblin mech anymore because yea it’s so broken everyone tries to do it.

But then usually the game winner is whoever can complete the combo and then parlay all those wins into a op late game comp. but my strat gets me a lot of 3rds lol

aeNqQM9.jpg
    Stationary wrote: »
    I nearly turned around a lost cause into a win just now, I started goblin/mech but then realized by about turn 5 everyone else did as well and let myself lose a few rounds whole I switched to warriors and druids. In the end it did not go my way as some positioning errors led to my enchantress and lone druid just kind of hanging out not attacking for a bit while everything else got slaughtered but hey at least thats on me and not just bad luck. I also had a weird moment where I had all 4 druid types on the board and was trying to combine 2 level 2 enchantress' into a 3 and it just wouldn't, ended up losing a round when it auto sent back the wrong piece because of time running out too.

It only checks for upgrades on the piece you are moving. So if you put the 2 each on then add the other druids you need to move one of the ench to upgrade it.

steam_sig.png
    Knight_ wrote: »
    i had a game last night where by round 3 i had 6 enchantresses and didn't get another druid to combine them until turn 15. i also checked and nobody else had any druid units.

Thats an extra 2 gold. I've started doing that too just to get the 3* and I feel people underestimate Enchantress value even if you're not going druids. Her mid game potential is one of the highest I'd argue as long as she gets her heal offq

urquanlord88.png
    Knight_ wrote: »

Thats an extra 2 gold. I've started doing that too just to get the 3* and I feel people underestimate Enchantress value even if you're not going druids. Her mid game potential is one of the highest I'd argue as long as she gets her heal offq

plus for every one you combine to 2* and immediately sell, that's 1 free gold

sigh, i hope they nerf shadow fiend soon. i feel like half my games are decided by who gets a rank 2 shadowfiend first, and there aren't enough to go around because everyone buys it, so whoever is lucky first has a huge advantage for the entire midgame.

i had absolutely terrible rng tonight, went against a guy who had a round 6 kunkka 3 times by round 11 after having just truly no luck no matter what i tried to build, idk.

aeNqQM9.jpg
    Yeah I've definitely had to look at this like any of the card or table top war games I've played and just accept that sometimes the dice/draw/rng is just going to not go my way.

Yeah, it's definitely a game where sometimes you just win or sometimes you just lose. Player skill is all about knowing how not to throw the wins and how to climb to a good finish on the losses.

• Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Man, I am garbage at AutoChess. Best I got was 3rd place with a Demon/Demon Hunter team.

Stabbity_Style.png
    edited February 2019
    Most disgusting win yet:
    mfkdkrjh.jpg
    WpDJINih.jpg
    Ended the game with probably the most number of 3* units I've ever acquired. Saw earlier on that noone was going druid so I just went for it. Terrorblade kept coming up so I kept buying. Sat on Tree 2*/Enchant 2*/Razor 2*/Terrorblade 2*/ Antimage 2* / Windranger 1* for the longest time but that gave me elf bonus and a bunch of healing to last me through mid-game to build up my bank to 50 gold. After that, I just constantly leveled until level 10 and horded the Techies and Gyrocopter. Both of them are pretty tanky and do massive AoE damage to boot so I just steam rolled from there. Probably couldn't do it with other Bishops :D

UrQuanLord88 on
    urquanlord88.png
    nftcort0k6ti.png

that was a good win, everyone else was fighting over mechs (and anti-mage?) early so I was able to get a bunch of early warriors and druids. got a good economy super early and turned that into a level advantage almost the entire game. couple that with some good rng luck and I never dropped out of first place.

edited February 2019
    So close, yet so far...

hkns4skzdrml.jpg

Dehumanized on
    ended up playing 5 games over the coarse of the day, a few before work and the last 2 after. Overall in the 5 games I never placed worse then 3rd and went from Knight-4 to Knight-8. Had a lot of good luck with undead/hunters although I think I need to keep a few tanky things around for late game as eventually I just melting too fast. I also had a game where I ended up with assassins and boy is it fun to just watch them crit over and over and over again.

edited February 2019
    ugh, i have no idea how to beat a proper comp with sf and razor with some warriors or mechs in front. 3 people in my game got them early and even with nagas and assassins and a disruptor i just get slaughtered by SF/Razor shitting on my team 2 seconds after the round starts.

didn't get offered a shadow fiend before round 25 when i lost so idk what i'm supposed to do there.

edit: boo, had my really good team after losing a bunch in the early game and just needed a single troll warlord to make the whole thing go.

for like 15 rounds. and who knows how many rerolls. eventually i couldn't hold the line and lost a round or two which was enough to drop me. not sure i would have won because the 1st place guy had a ton of gold, but i think my 4th place finish would have been third place. ah well.

Knight_ on
    aeNqQM9.jpg
    Sometimes you just lose. Like the streamer Dog says: it's a slot machine.
    You just have to know how to set yourself up to receive the RNG and accept when you're just going to lose to someone.
    Like last night I went 31-4 with a ridiculous comp:
    Got 3 warriors early, including juggling/axe for orc bonus, had a 3 star tusk before 20 and ended up with 6 warriors (including 2 star kunkka and troll), 3 star shadowfiend and jugg, as well as a ton of damage items.
    It's a casual game, and sometimes you get the shit, sometimes you get shit.

edited February 2019
    I'm certainly not posting my own games where I have absolutely no upgrade path and a full bench of 2-fers till round 20. But every so often you get lucky and roll a bunch of strong units early or, in most cases, you can try to beat the rng and try to go for units that other people aren't buying and hope to end up in the top 3 position. Thats a win for me and those are the games i play for :D

I'm still learning when to accept losses in mid game and when to go for the push for my board's powerspike from a losing position. My current strat is to want to minimize losses while building up the loss streak until I can make the 50 gold bank and aggressively reroll for 4 cost AoE units at level 9. I've had a couple of games now where I did that, got techies or gyro (usually the more unpopular units compare to tide/kunka/enigma) then managed to stabilize. Rerolling midgame before level 9 seems iffy, unless you're trying to complete 3* units for the various 1/2 cost units.

Techies/Gyro in particular were underrated for me and I've now found them both to be tanky and able to do a ton of magic damage. Techies can be put in the frontlines AND is able to affect the board after death, provided they survive long enough. I usually position gyrocopter in the opposite corner, away from my main cluster of units to bait spells and assassins

On a more meta note, this game is essentially just a giant optimization problem and can probably be solved by an AI given the correct values for each of the units/abilities. Would be a fun project to work on

UrQuanLord88 on
    urquanlord88.png
    Had a decent few games today, won twice and one or two other top three finishers, was hoping to break into the next rank tier but two bad games in the middle seem to have keep me stuck at Knight-8.

Techies and Gyrocopter together are.... scary.
    0N9RLy2.png

I also earned enough candy to buy my first courier! I got a cool otter dragon.