As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures] Finn is a Big Deal

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Got the x wing stuff.

All this for $60 with all the extras.

YMenfgj.jpg

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Dang does this game always look good.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    So my friend has been playing a lot of big ships. On a whim I bought into Scum and got Lando's Falcon, the Firespray, and a Fang Fighter. He's been doing a lot of stuff with the Resistance bomber, and played a lot of the Firespray/Falcon.

I kind of don't get how to approach big ships. I think I'm used to double repositioning to get out of arc on smaller ships but the bigger ships have such massive potential areas to damage, their arcs are so big and there are multiples of them and they deal a lot of damage usually. Quite a few times I just get picked off, L'ulo is particularly unlucky, Lando's Falcon is designed to murder an improperly placed L'ulo. The title gives an extra die against him when he's stressed, which is often. Or bomber with Paige Tico and Veteran Turret Gunner fires three dice out the front and rotates the turret arc to take a shot for free wherever.

I think I get that the thing with big ships is like, you will always be shot at, but on the other hand, you will basically always be able to take a shot back. I just don't know how to deal with that with the more fragile ships.

• Options
    Does the app have upgrades? I'm goofing off and seeing what I can build with the ships I have but after I get it built I don't see anything to do upgrades with.

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    Yes. Add the ship, then expand it. Tap/click the upgrades at the bottom to add them

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Battlescribe also supports X-Wing, if you like.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    https://raithos.github.io/ is also very popular

• Options
    edited January 2019
    I finally figured out how to expand to the upgrades, there is a lot. Thank you for the help. I might use Battlescribe though since I use that for 40K and Infinity as well.

I bought the scum and villainy expansion and I noticed that the tiles that go on the base for the IG-2000 are smaller than the base that came with the IG-2000. Did the base get smaller? I don't see it in the scum and villainy booklet with the info.

Edit: The hole on the IG-2000 that holds the peg also broke which is a bummer. Hopefully some super glue will get that fixed up nicely.

Stragint on

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    I finally figured out how to expand to the upgrades, there is a lot. Thank you for the help. I might use Battlescribe though since I use that for 40K and Infinity as well.

I bought the scum and villainy expansion and I noticed that the tiles that go on the base for the IG-2000 are smaller than the base that came with the IG-2000. Did the base get smaller? I don't see it in the scum and villainy booklet with the info.

Edit: The hole on the IG-2000 that holds the peg also broke which is a bummer. Hopefully some super glue will get that fixed up nicely.

The base size for that ship changed with 2.0, yes.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Polaritie wrote: »

Thank you for confirming it. I'll match the base with the tile size and get that fixed.

I really need to play some games of this so I can start figuring out what upgrades and such to use. I have no idea what a majority of this means.

Stragint on

• Options
    SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    So my friend has been playing a lot of big ships. On a whim I bought into Scum and got Lando's Falcon, the Firespray, and a Fang Fighter. He's been doing a lot of stuff with the Resistance bomber, and played a lot of the Firespray/Falcon.

I kind of don't get how to approach big ships. I think I'm used to double repositioning to get out of arc on smaller ships but the bigger ships have such massive potential areas to damage, their arcs are so big and there are multiples of them and they deal a lot of damage usually. Quite a few times I just get picked off, L'ulo is particularly unlucky, Lando's Falcon is designed to murder an improperly placed L'ulo. The title gives an extra die against him when he's stressed, which is often. Or bomber with Paige Tico and Veteran Turret Gunner fires three dice out the front and rotates the turret arc to take a shot for free wherever.

I think I get that the thing with big ships is like, you will always be shot at, but on the other hand, you will basically always be able to take a shot back. I just don't know how to deal with that with the more fragile ships.

There is no simple answer to this question, as it is highly contingent on which big ship, pilot, and upgrades you are flying against.

There is one thing that holds true for all of the big ships, though; the board is effectively smaller for them. It's up to you to turn this into a weakness and up to your opponent to use it as a strength.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

Thank you for confirming it. I'll match the base with the tile size and get that fixed.

I really need to play some games of this so I can start figuring out what upgrades and such to use. I have no idea what a majority of this means.

If you think up some specific questions, please drop them here - we're primed to help answer them for you! :D

• Options
    I definitely will have some questions, just not really sure where to start and I feel like after a game or two I will know what to ask.

I just need to either wait for a friend and my brother to grab some stuff or find some local people to play with at the LGS.

• Options
    Hmm, looks like the Han+Qi'ra/L3/Fenn/Zealous Recruit list I flew against @Sokpuppet a while back was hyperspace legal... I may have to fly that this weekend.

• Options
    So how do the factions work? Can Imperials use First Order ships and can Rebels use Resistance ships?

Also, I saw something about pre orders and there were Vulture droid ships. Are they adding the Trade Federation?

• Options
    So how do the factions work? Can Imperials use First Order ships and can Rebels use Resistance ships?

Also, I saw something about pre orders and there were Vulture droid ships. Are they adding the Trade Federation?

Factions worked like that in first edition, but in second edition they are all separate factions.

Yes.

• Options

Factions worked like that in first edition, but in second edition they are all separate factions.

Yes.

How does that work for 1st edition ships? I have a friend who wants to go with Rebels/Resistance because he likes the ships but it is pretty much all 1st edition stuff and we are gearing up to play 2nd.

• Options
    They would need the appropriate conversion kit for that faction (ex if they want to fly t-70s, they need the resistance kit). If that's what you're asking?

• Options
    If my friend buys a mix of resistance and rebel ships from 1st edition and bought the conversion for rebels specifically would he be able to still run all of his ships including resistance ships as rebels or is the expansion pack only going to to have conversions for the rebel specific ships.

Reading my post sounds very "duh" to me, I just want to be sure I have the right info because we want to do 2nd edition but we also like a lot of the first edition ships. I don't want my friends to get a mix of ships from rebel/resistance or empire/first order and a conversion kit but not be able to play all the ships they got.

I apparently went the easy route without realizing it and went scum and villainy.

Sorry if it is an obvious thing and the more I think about it it is but again I wanna be sure.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    Correct, rebel conversion kit only has things for rebels, no resistance. In second edition, to fly resistance, you need a resistance conversion kit and cannit mix resistance and rebels.

Same deal with Imperials/first order.

crimsoncoyote on
  • Options
    Cool, thank you for clearing that up for me. Would have sucked if my friends grabbed stuff they couldn't play with the conversion kit.

• Options
    Cool, thank you for clearing that up for me. Would have sucked if my friends grabbed stuff they couldn't play with the conversion kit.

No worries at all! Glad I was able to help

• Options
    Oh nice, squad builder does BB code output. Anyways, I went in on the silly reinforce lambda/decimator pairing:

Lambda-class T-4a Shuttle - •Lieutenant Sai - 79
    •Lieutenant Sai - Death Squadron Veteran (47)
    Advanced Sensors (8)
    •Darth Vader (14)
    Shield Upgrade (4)
    ST-321 (6)

VT-49 Decimator - •Rear Admiral Chiraneau - 121
    •Rear Admiral Chiraneau - Advisor to Admiral Piett (88)
    •Moff Jerjerrod (12)
    Shield Upgrade (3)
    Dauntless (6)
    •Fifth Brother (12)

Total: 200/200

• Options
    Is there some sort of core set with the rules, movement pieces, dice etc that I can get that is scum and villainy? All I've seen so far for core set are ships for first order and resistance.

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Welcome to FFG.
    Nope, have to get the core set for the maneuver templates and dice and rules. Need the scum conversion kit to use any 1.0 ships.
    Could sell the ships and dials from the core though if you really had no interest in them.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    @Stragint

The only core set is imps vs rebs. There's an old 1. ed core set with 1. order vs resistance, so don't buy that by accident.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    @Stragint

The only core set is imps vs rebs. There's an old 1. ed core set with 1. order vs resistance, so don't buy that by accident.

That was close. I was looking at 1st edition stuff because my friend is going to use the T70 X-Wing from that core set along with the Resistance Millennium Falcon and Poe's X-Wing so I had that up. Completely forgot that I was looking at 1st edition. Thank you.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Right now, FFG seems to be treating the conversion kits as the "Starters" for the factions. The two new Clone Wars factions are getting proper starters, for $40 with 3 ships and the neutral/faction specific upgrade cards.

Easiest way to tell what edition you are looking at: First edition is white/gray boxes with red or blue logos (depending on era). Second edition is black boxes.

BTW, earlier you asked about the IG-2000's base. The conversion kits for Rebels, Imperials, and Scum all came with a selection of medium bases to cover those ships, and an adapter peg for the small to medium changes.

In other news, today dropped the bi-annual "shake up the meta" update!

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2019/1/28/balance-in-the-force/

https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/a4/1c/a41c5b90-3ed7-456c-9dc9-ebae9d2f8408/onlinepoints_rebelalliance_january.pdf

https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/50/c8/50c86a4e-b089-4b09-91ab-5694c02c524b/onlinepoints_galacticempirejanuary.pdf

https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/68/d1/68d13b35-1cf6-4248-bb66-d99ec891ede0/onlinepoints_scumandvillainy_january.pdf

https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/18/e6/18e626b6-2d9c-4fee-a3ab-f1d59f2e31f9/onlinepoints_genericupgrades_january.pdf

https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/92/d0/92d0de07-7c45-48da-bcfe-aee0093d0368/onlinepoints_firstorderjanuary.pdf

https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/a2/f6/a2f6ba8e-4ce9-4e48-ba5a-8e1f02a56fe1/onlinepoints_resistance_january.pdf

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Really? Gunner slot on the TIE Phantom?

There's literally one card that can be meaningfully slotted there, and it's a unique. I get it, Vader/Whisper was strong. But a gunner slot is basically worthless on an imperial ship with neither turrets or bombs (okay, there's one of the droids, that's only in the scum conversion kit, and requires vader in the list).

• Options
    ... someone remind me what "Hyperspace Legal" means?

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Tournaments in the Hyperspace format.

Edit: Generally, only 2e content, no conversion kit stuff, but there's exceptions and it gets complicated.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    so,

you can run 5 y-wings with ion turrets now...

crimsoncoyote on
  • Options
    Someone made a doc of all the changes:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1u-7nDcK_U_jn9A36758oCmcJSwWo7KAAMZAcPghJU1I/htmlview?sle=true&fbclid=IwAR1vZsS5MNqpGqQkrkbDLCLLKlrLwa0JKHu-g_GTwL_T-p1neRAl0KghLYk#

Some potentially fun things:
    5 ion y-wings with 4xVeteran Turret Gunner as I mentioned before. (That's 40 HP!)
    You can now fit 3 Brobots with IG-2000 titles in a list. (28 HP, but 3 Agi and access to evades after boosting or double calculate)
    4 jumpmasters, because why not? (36 HP, 2 agi each)
    BB-8 and BB astromechs got cheaper on lower Initiative ships.
    3 Star Fortresses and VTG, with a little room for other upgrades.
    Jamming Beam is free, so maybe it will get taken ever.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    Jamming Beam is SO bad. The only worthwhile ways to jam are still the action and maybe the crew (I've considered using it with ISB Slicers on something - anyone who shoots at you gets jammed, the cost is you have a 50% to jam yourself... well, if you do it on a Lambda or something it may not matter, and their jamming sticks around).

I kind of wish the Lambda and Reaper had gotten price cuts, but running 5x of either of those is probably stupid.

I don't think your math checks on Y-wings - Sienar Specialists are 40 points with that loadout and are still a point cheaper (from that spreadsheet).

Edit: You know it's crazy town when Palpatine gets a cost reduction.

Polaritie on
  • Options
    It works if you only take 4 gunners
    BTL-A4 Y-wing - Gray Squadron Bomber - 35
    Gray Squadron Bomber - (31)
    Ion Cannon Turret (4)

BTL-A4 Y-wing - Gray Squadron Bomber - 41
    Ion Cannon Turret (4)
    Veteran Turret Gunner (6)

Ion Cannon Turret (4)

Ion Cannon Turret (4)

Ion Cannon Turret (4)

Total: 199/200

• Options
    I am unreasonably enthused by that list, @crimsoncoyote . :D

• Options
    Gosh, I wish the prequel movies weren't so bad; the ship designs are awesome.

• Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Gosh, I wish the prequel movies weren't so bad; the ship designs are awesome.

Yeah I'm all in on a fuckton of Aethersprites.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    It's not X-wing, but holy shit FFG acknowledged Armada exists!

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2019/2/5/alert-all-commands/

(Sector fleet rules, large scale battles)

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch