As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Canadian Politics] Takin' out the trash to replace it with... whoops.

• Options
    Edith_Bagot-DixEdith_Bagot-Dix Registered User regular
    Disco11 wrote: »

News for Quebec.... That's Acid not weed.

I'm not sure. My cousin once injected a marijuana and wound up so badly photoshopped he had to go to the hospital.

Also on Steam and PSN: twobadcats
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular

36a.jpg

• Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular

I'm not sure. My cousin once injected a marijuana and wound up so badly photoshopped he had to go to the hospital.

Never forget Becky.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    "There's no way cannabis can do these crazy things, but if you smoke enough of it you might release a weird ad on twitter with weird stuff happening to people's heads"?

• Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    This is what happens when you do Salvia before your marketing meeting about Cannabis ads.

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    I love when anti drug ads are clearly made by someone on drugs

• Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    "LSD can totally do this..."
    "paid for by the campaign to legalize LSD"

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    This thread gets more latitude than the US politics threads because it moves relatively slowly, but meme image reactions are still not appropriate, and it's still not an open mic thread.

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    I don't think it's a meme - it's a provincially funded ad campaign. It's actually pretty troubling that they'd push something this misleading out there.

Have they made any comment about this? Where are these ads? Online, billboards? I'm genuinely curious as this is completely ass-backwards to what the other provinces have been doing.

• Options
    I don't think it's a meme - it's a provincially funded ad campaign. It's actually pretty troubling that they'd push something this misleading out there.

Have they made any comment about this? Where are these ads? Online, billboards? I'm genuinely curious as this is completely ass-backwards to what the other provinces have been doing.

I think Bogart was talking about the "granny wtf am I looking at" image...

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular

I'm assuming that the ad campaign is trying to get people to research what risks marijuana has, and imply that it still has risks and isn't totally safe.

But considering the amount of scare mongering about drugs, research is as likely to lead to an antivax rabbit hole as it is reliable info.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited February 2019

They are online: https://encadrementcannabis.gouv.qc.ca/. There's also what looks like a TV spot on there, but I don't know if it actually aired on TV.

I guess they are trying to go with the humour route to get information across, the joke being "cannabis won't do this ridiculous thing, but it can do harm nonetheless".

The official statement is "Our government is committed to making every effort to better protect the public, especially teenagers and young adults, from the harmful effects of cannabis.” They also note that "the province’s poison-control centre reported a tripling in the number of marijuana poisonings since the drug was legalized last fall."

This kind of half-assed ridiculous ads is what happens when 50-somethings try to be "hip and cool like them young people today." It's embarrassing.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Richy wrote: »
    They also note that "the province’s poison-control centre reported a tripling in the number of marijuana poisonings since the drug was legalized last fall."

Did they provide numbers with the percentage?

Because while any poisonings are bad, if it went from 3 to 9 we probably don’t need to declare a provincial crisis just yet. If it was 1,000 to 3,000, okay yeah, that’s pretty bad.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Forar wrote: »
    They also note that "the province’s poison-control centre reported a tripling in the number of marijuana poisonings since the drug was legalized last fall."

Because while any poisonings are bad, if it went from 3 to 9 we probably don’t need to declare a provincial crisis just yet. If it was 1,000 to 3,000, okay yeah, that’s pretty bad.

They say in this CBC article it went from 25 to 89.

Sooo much closer to the former than to the latter.

El Skid on
  • Options

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/cannabis-quebec-poison-control-1.5004183
    The centre says that from October through December, it recorded 89 cases. For the same period last year, the centre only recorded 25 cases.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Keep in mind that for the most part marijuana poisoning is much less dangerous than alcohol poisoning.

Also that ridiculous ad cost $1.5mil, though it does have us talking about it :P

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I don't really smoke/injest cannabis and I think it's bad that governments are resorting to hysterical ads about the "dangers" of cannabis use while simultaneously selling and receiving funding from alcohol.

It's fine to educate people about the risks for things but it doesn't have to be hyperbolic and hysterical.

• Options
    Aridhol wrote: »
    I don't really smoke/injest cannabis and I think it's bad that governments are resorting to hysterical ads about the "dangers" of cannabis use while simultaneously selling and receiving funding from alcohol.

It's fine to educate people about the risks for things but it doesn't have to be hyperbolic and hysterical.

Like I said, I think they were going for "humourous", not "hyperbolic hysterical". They failed, but I can see the humour in their ads, not in the LOL sense but in the sense that an academic specializing in humour theory could write a research paper analyzing how humour can be found in those ads and have it pass a rigorous peer-review process to validate their findings of humourous elements in those ads.

sig.gif
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

Like I said, I think they were going for "humourous", not "hyperbolic hysterical". They failed, but I can see the humour in their ads, not in the LOL sense but in the sense that an academic specializing in humour theory could write a research paper analyzing how humour can be found in those ads and have it pass a rigorous peer-review process to validate their findings of humourous elements in those ads.

Yeah, the more I look at it the more I get the point.
    "Look at this ridiculous shit. No, marijuana can't do this no matter what people tell you but there are real risks. Look them up."
    It's just badly done.

I actually like the idea of the campaign if the ads themselves were way more clear about the message they seem to be sending and not so bad.

• Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular

From a CBC article I found:

"The centre says that from October through December, it recorded 89 cases. For the same period last year, the centre only recorded 25 cases."

Considering the amount of new users coming on the scene all at once, I think these are still staggeringly good numbers, and will likely drop again.

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

Yeah, the more I look at it the more I get the point.
    "Look at this ridiculous shit. No, marijuana can't do this no matter what people tell you but there are real risks. Look them up."
    It's just badly done.

I actually like the idea of the campaign if the ads themselves were way more clear about the message they seem to be sending and not so bad.

The problem is that any person designing these kinds of ads understands how semiotics work and the kind of interpretation 95% of people would have in looking at something like this. Having the real message be embedded in the subtext here is a really shitty approach when trying to convey a message.

Unless you're like making an art film of something.

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Oh joy, now that marijuana is legal, there's a crackdown on medical users.
    RCMP Halifax spokeswoman Lisa Croteau told VICE the provincial penalties for failing a roadside test kick in, regardless of if a person is impaired under the criminal code.

“If they’re over it doesn’t matter if it’s for medical use or not, they shouldn’t be driving. If their prescription is at an amount that would make them fail the roadside, then they have to take the precautions not to be driving while they’re under the influence of it.”

• Options
    Govt. must be feeling a bit of the heat re: the new drunk driving laws.

I replied asking how this squares with some of the reporting about the "2 hour window" stuff but no official response.

• Options
    Shadowen wrote: »
    Oh joy, now that marijuana is legal, there's a crackdown on medical users.
    RCMP Halifax spokeswoman Lisa Croteau told VICE the provincial penalties for failing a roadside test kick in, regardless of if a person is impaired under the criminal code.

“If they’re over it doesn’t matter if it’s for medical use or not, they shouldn’t be driving. If their prescription is at an amount that would make them fail the roadside, then they have to take the precautions not to be driving while they’re under the influence of it.”

This seems like a reasonable stance?

If someone is too impaired to drive I don't care why they are allowed to have X drug.

That said, it doesn't seem like there is a good understanding of what impaired means with cannabis and we apparently don't care about Jane, the 90 year old who has taken 13 valium driving around.

• Options
    Yes.

That was my point.
    However, there is no definitive link between the amount of THC in a person’s system and impairment. THC is stored in a person’s fat cells and can remain detectable in a person’s body for up to a month. For medical patients or regular users, this means they may often not be legally allowed to drive.

• Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Shadowen wrote: »
    Yes.

That was my point.
    However, there is no definitive link between the amount of THC in a person’s system and impairment. THC is stored in a person’s fat cells and can remain detectable in a person’s body for up to a month. For medical patients or regular users, this means they may often not be legally allowed to drive.

What's the roadside test? I am guessing they don't take a piss test or draw blood so is it just a field sobriety test?

Edit: ah, oral fluid test per the article. Seems like something just waiting to be challenged in court, though it will suck for the first people to be the test case.

Daimar on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    It's a thing called an oral fluid test. It can check the amount of THC in your spit.

However, you can only be convicted based on a blood test.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    The basic problem is that in reality we have no test that measures how high you are the way we have one for vaguely measuring how drunk you are.

• Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    Yeah, it's not really fair that I, a non-user, can make a stupid driving mistake and get a ticket/have my insurance go up... but a medical user who is equally unimpaired at the time of the stupid driving mistake can face much harsher consequences.

At the same time, law enforcement needs some kind of tool to take people who do drive while high off the road. It's a tough legal spot right now. It would be nice if we could have more trust in law enforcement not to enforce the current rules in an inconsistent/racist manner.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »
    I love when anti drug ads are clearly made by someone on drugs

I’d say they look like the work of someone who has never been on drugs.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Nosf on
  • Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    Oof; gotta wonder what he had in mind, especially with the explosives and the fact that he was aiming a firearm at police. Though half the article being photos of a different weapons bust is kinda weird.

Speaking of domestic terrorists, Bissonnette was sentenced today - 40 years before the possibility of parole in his late sixties.

• Options
    I suppose we should talk about this: https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/jody-wilson-raybould-was-involved-in-legal-government-talks-about-fate-of-snc-lavalin-sources-say-1.5012849

I thought it was odd when Wilson-Raybould was shuffled to Veteran's Affairs. I wish it weren't true, but I can totally see the Liberals doing this. Ugh.

• Options
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »
    Oof; gotta wonder what he had in mind, especially with the explosives and the fact that he was aiming a firearm at police. Though half the article being photos of a different weapons bust is kinda weird.

Speaking of domestic terrorists, Bissonnette was sentenced today - 40 years before the possibility of parole in his late sixties.

Technically pointed the gun at an off duty officer (most likely out of uniform), so essentially being a bullying loudmouth to a rando is going to land him in prison.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CorporateGoonCorporateGoon Registered User regular
    I suppose we should talk about this: https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/jody-wilson-raybould-was-involved-in-legal-government-talks-about-fate-of-snc-lavalin-sources-say-1.5012849

I thought it was odd when Wilson-Raybould was shuffled to Veteran's Affairs. I wish it weren't true, but I can totally see the Liberals doing this. Ugh.

Really? She took some heat when she (sort of) commented on the Gerald Stanley-Colten Boushie verdict last year, and I had expected her to be quietly shuffled out of the job at some point before the election. I didn't personally see anything wrong with what she said, but it's the kind of stuff that makes for some good anti-Indigenous dog-whistle campaign ads. The PM said some things too, of course, but it's not like he could shuffle himself.

• Options
    edited February 2019

I thought it was odd when Wilson-Raybould was shuffled to Veteran's Affairs. I wish it weren't true, but I can totally see a political party doing this. Ugh.

Fixed that for ya.

Nosf on
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Nosf wrote: »

I thought it was odd when Wilson-Raybould was shuffled to Veteran's Affairs. I wish it weren't true, but I can totally see a political party doing this. Ugh.

Fixed that for ya.

It's the fact that I wouldn't be surprised if the Liberals did it that makes me ugh, though. Because I don't want them to be like that and make us vulnerable to a Scheer government. But they kinda are like that. So ugh.

SwashbucklerXX on
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    I feel like every member of the Liberal party should just have a big sign on their fridge or something that says, "Remember how Harper got in".

• Options
    "Trudeau has flatly denied the allegations.

Several Liberals approached Friday said they were confident the story came from Wilson-Raybould herself. “She’s always sort of been in it for herself,” said one insider who didn’t want to be identified. “It’s never been about the government or the cabinet. Everything is very Jody-centric.” The fear of reprisal for speaking about anything to do with the situation was running so high Friday most Liberals approached flatly refused. Treasury Board President Jane Philpott, said to be one of Wilson-Raybould’s closest friends and allies in cabinet, was not available. One former senior staffer said it was too uncomfortable to talk about.""

I guess the Star ran a bit on how Scheer had met with SNC Lavalin as well, after the govt. passed legislature about the deferral bit.

This discussion has been closed.