As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Fallen London] et al.: Sunless Skies is out!

• WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Hmm. I may have supported the Tacketies a little too much and now everybody in Albion is trying to kill me.

Incidentally, did you know you can get ministry permits by blowing up Dreadnoughts?

• Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Hmm. I may have supported the Tacketies a little too much and now everybody in Albion is trying to kill me.

Incidentally, did you know you can get ministry permits by blowing up Dreadnoughts?

It's the fallback option for getting those if you piss of the Stovepipes. The easier way is to use the tokens from turning in port reports to the stovepipes but that gets pricier if they get pushed out of New Winchester. Still easier to go that route than picking a fight with Dreadnoughts though.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    While it might get more intense as I push out into the other zones, I'm glad that managing terror isn't as big a factor in this game on the first map. There are a lot more ways to manage terror - including more that don't cost coin - and the general rate of increase is more than enough to freely explore without worrying about it crippling you in the early game.

And as for getting ministry permits, one low effort way to farm them is to linger around the endless fights that happen outside Port Prosper. You can loot wrecks killed by NPC ships, so the main issue will be burning resources and staying out of the lines of fire. You can routinely get ministry permits from the London ships that blow, as well as loot from the Tackety, Marauder, and monster corpses that wander into the general scrum.

While it might get more intense as I push out into the other zones, I'm glad that managing terror isn't as big a factor in this game on the first map. There are a lot more ways to manage terror - including more that don't cost coin - and the general rate of increase is more than enough to freely explore without worrying about it crippling you in the early game.

And as for getting ministry permits, one low effort way to farm them is to linger around the endless fights that happen outside Port Prosper. You can loot wrecks killed by NPC ships, so the main issue will be burning resources and staying out of the lines of fire. You can routinely get ministry permits from the London ships that blow, as well as loot from the Tackety, Marauder, and monster corpses that wander into the general scrum.

I seldom see the AI ships actually succeed in killing each other. I think it's happened once. The Stovepipe ships don't have good accuracy on their turret and that Tackety ships weave too much to stay on a firing solution. If I hang around a battle long enough it's almost guaranteed one ship will get itself stuck on a homestead of wreckage and the other ship will be unable to find its way around to keep shooting.

Even with the higher cost it was just faster for me to turn in ten port reports to the stovepipes in the process of running prospects.

As for terror, it does seem to get a bit more intense as of Albion but a big part of than is not being clear on where to go for terror. The Reach points you towards Avon and Magdalene's at the start. I had to look up my options for Albion despite actually visiting one. It was just a long trip from where I was and I'd forgotten it was offered.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    EDIT - Nevermind, I found where to select the Bazaar!

Now I can select quests and buy, well, something.

I wish Sunless Sea was this accessible. I never got past the tutorial.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    After the Reach' snaking corridors, Albion's wide open plains take some getting used to. In the Reach, there may have been walls everywhere, but at least I got the sense I was going somewhere. In Albion I more often like I'm wandering aimlessly, even though there are less actual obstacles in my path.

• ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Tried playing Sunless Sea and peaced out like within an hour everytime I tried to play it; reviews and users are saying that's not really present this time around?

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    I ran into Eleutheria’s sun.

Man, that boy ain’t right.

5gsowHm.png
    There are these tears in time that need to be repaired.

Oh, that sounds interesting.

Doing so will help the Clockwork Sun.

Oh, well, never mind then.

• CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    ED! wrote: »
    Tried playing Sunless Sea and peaced out like within an hour everytime I tried to play it; reviews and users are saying that's not really present this time around?

Depends why you peaced out from Seas.

The pace of Skies is a good deal faster in the sense that, in the early game, you are constantly avoiding running into obstacles, encountering enemies, and finding things.
    There is much more of a tutorial in Skies than in Seas.
    "What to do next" is a lot clearer in the early game in Skies than Seas. Where Seas just sort of said, "Here's the Sea... go for it", Skies gives you a couple of fetch quests off the bat to earn some significant money and gives you general compass directions for where to look for the places said quests require you to go. And because the map is split up into smaller circles, a compass direction is pretty much enough for you to find what you're looking for.
    You're less likely to run out of fuel, supplies, or sanity in the first hour than you were in Seas but are much more likely to die to running into things/getting blown up.

The general game elements are the same, though, so if Seas was not your kind of game then Skies won't be either. It's a lot of reading and exploring procedurally-placed locales where the reward for finding something new is more reading.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • MoosehatIVMoosehatIV Saw a blimp once Registered User regular
    Looks like it Festival time in Fallen London. As per tradition, I will happily trade items with anyone who needs any of the non fate locked gifts. I don't have much need for echoes at this point.

I specifically need the Lemurian's Mask and the Unblemished Exiles Rose for my own collection if possible, but I wish everyone a happy feast!

https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Winter IV

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Same goes for me.

• MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular

I have personally been enjoying this one MUCH more just because of the ability to change difficulty settings. I can now reload from the last port when I die, instead of losing progress. Also you can give your ammo a slight auto-aim, which I also do because the combat feels a lot more exacting in this one than in Sea.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
    MuddBudd wrote: »

I have personally been enjoying this one MUCH more just because of the ability to change difficulty settings. I can now reload from the last port when I die, instead of losing progress. Also you can give your ammo a slight auto-aim, which I also do because the combat feels a lot more exacting in this one than in Sea.

I'm pretty sure Sea had an option to allow reloads after death but I'm not sure it was as convenient.

Combat is definitely different now that you have to aim instead of just using having something in your firing arc before pressing a key. And the shots actually travel in a path from which hardpoint the gun is mounted on, not the center of the train. I'm still trying to figure out what weapon setups I really like. I'm currently Irons and Mirrors so I use a shotgun and long range gun but I've heard some good things about using mines as one of your weapons too.

Steam Profile
  • OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    I earned my way back up to the Moloch Liner but I do kind of miss not being able to get betterfaster engines

then again it does kind of feel like distances were somewhat balanced with that in mind

Orphane wrote: »
    I earned my way back up to the Moloch Liner but I do kind of miss not being able to get betterfaster engines

then again it does kind of feel like distances were somewhat balanced with that in mind

The biggest adjustment for me with the second engine was that it wasn't fast enough to always run like the starter. That's what the mines are for, I guess.

I recently upgraded to an Altani Outrider, and am having a hard time imagining switching to anything else. It does, like, everything.

5gsowHm.png
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    Where is the clockwork sun in Albion? It’s the last port I need.

Map are randomised, but in my Albion the Clockwork Sun is south, south-east of Perdurance.

• KorrorKorror Registered User regular

Just follow the crystal screaming.

Battlenet ID: NullPointer
    The more I fly around Albion the less my Ambition is Wealth and the more it turns into Fuck Up The British Empire.

It’s random, but I think it’ll always be close to the edge of the map.

5gsowHm.png

The biggest adjustment for me with the second engine was that it wasn't fast enough to always run like the starter. That's what the mines are for, I guess.

I think all of the trains run at the same speed?

When I said engines I meant the engines in sunless sea which I think did change how fast your ship went. Sorry I didn't clarify

The more I fly around Albion the less my Ambition is Wealth and the more it turns into Fuck Up The British Empire.

I'm torn between anti-imperialism and not wanting to get shot at by every passing Imperial ship.

I think all of the trains run at the same speed?

When I said engines I meant the engines in sunless sea which I think did change how fast your ship went. Sorry I didn't clarify

There are some differences in acceleration and stuff apparently but all the trains have the same top velocity.

Steam Profile
  • KorrorKorror Registered User regular

Ah interesting, the high wilderness has had the opposite effect on me. The more horrors I discover in the terrible uncaring void, the more my captain clings to the trappings of civilization and britishness. Victorian classism mixed with a little bit of authoritarianism looks a lot better when the alternative is fungal infestation and the maddening whispers of alien stars.

Battlenet ID: NullPointer
    edited February 2019
    Some stuff about Traitor's Wood
    I finished the expedition questline for finding out who was buried in Regent's Grave

Turns out it was none of the 3 the scholars were thinking and it was a servant of the previous Sun sent to prune Traitor's Wood who fucked up and was imprisoned in punishment

They asked to borrow a mortal body for a year and a day to finish its mission and I volunteered my Captain nstead of letting the Classicist do it. After coming back to Traitor's Wood after finishing up some other things i held up my end of the bargain and a timeline happened, which also let the Tacketies bounce back from their previous struggling position

Which was good for me, actually, because while my patriotic, London-supporting captain had to do stuff to shore up the Windward company, that also meant there were a lot more Tackety scouts flying around for me to hunt for nameplates

Orphane on
  • VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I also moved from the 'anti British Empire' position over to 'they might be the lesser evil out in space'.

I just killed a member of parliament to help protect the queen, without her even asking me too. But what's most amazing to me is, if I had done two quests in a different order, I'd probably be helping that guy overthrow the queen instead. And I'm still not sure which would be the better position.

The writing in this is real good.

Veagle on
    steam_sig.png
    I was gonna get a Solomnent Hyena, but I needed higher nightmares. So, I figured that y'know what, I've never tried any of the stuff in the carnival's house of mirrors. Pretty sure that raises my nightmares, I should check it out. That did not work out.

• VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    Oh Jesus, back on the 'Fuck the Empire' train. But also, 'the other realms are nightmares too' train.

It's bad out there. Maybe it's time to run away to the circus.

steam_sig.png
    Typing "favor" into the search on the Myself page and getting no results makes me want to throw a bunch of tea into a harbor.

Interesting moment with the work world :
    so I supported the revolt obvs and was disappointed that it’s just a cycle - the leader of the revolution becomes a new governor and cynically instutes some reforms to mollify the revolutionaries and they grumble and go back to work

It seemed like a dark outcome even for Sunless Skies - but when you visit again you find that kids are able to go to school now and can get better jobs

I mean they’re still shipped off to a debt slavery planet but it’s an incremental change for the better that required a revolt/strike, which is much low labor laws improved in the US

I was pretty impressed by the writing.

For whatever reason I can't seem to make a meaningful profit in Eleutheria. I think it's at least partly due to there being only a few ports and a lot of the prospects asking for items you can't grab easily in the zone. Somewhat of a moot point as my soul has now picked up enough flaws to need a trip back to The Reach.

Steam Profile
    For whatever reason I can't seem to make a meaningful profit in Eleutheria. I think it's at least partly due to there being only a few ports and a lot of the prospects asking for items you can't grab easily in the zone. Somewhat of a moot point as my soul has now picked up enough flaws to need a trip back to The Reach.

You can make big bucks smuggling there but smuggling requires a pretty big investment up front for secret compartments

You can also get casks of gems... somewhere there if you get the quest to deliver them to the mausoleum

The Blue Kingdom is a zone full of nope.

Even with only one third of the Logoi trying to kill me the fact that they never give up the chase makes them absolutely ridiculous.

Fascinating place lore wise and some nice callbacks to Sunless Sea but actually traversing it without returning to the title screen and reloading to despawn monsters with artillery bursts is a pain.

Steam Profile

Even with only one third of the Logoi trying to kill me the fact that they never give up the chase makes them absolutely ridiculous.

Fascinating place lore wise and some nice callbacks to Sunless Sea but actually traversing it without returning to the title screen and reloading to despawn monsters with artillery bursts is a pain.

Fly backwards when fighting logoi. Any hits you land on them will slow them down, so you can usually keep them at arm’s length and avoid most of their fire.

Of course, you inevitably end up backing into a soul eater or something, but that’s our Sunless Skies *laughtrack*

5gsowHm.png
    edited February 2019
    Syngyne wrote: »

Fly backwards when fighting logoi. Any hits you land on them will slow them down, so you can usually keep them at arm’s length and avoid most of their fire.

Of course, you inevitably end up backing into a soul eater or something, but that’s our Sunless Skies *laughtrack*

This captain is so close to retiring that I think I'm going to hold off on any major Blue Kingdom time now that I've gotten all but one of my current officers finished. The last one can wait for a captain not in danger of retirony.

Steel Angel on

Steam Profile
  • MoosehatIVMoosehatIV Saw a blimp once Registered User regular
    Question, is the backer Scout (The cyclopean owl) really as good as it seems? It finds up to three things on the map and gives detail on what they are.

Comparing them to the scouts you buy, only the high tier ratronaut seems to do that?

MoosehatIV wrote: »
    Question, is the backer Scout (The cyclopean owl) really as good as it seems? It finds up to three things on the map and gives detail on what they are.

Comparing them to the scouts you buy, only the high tier ratronaut seems to do that?

I think the cyclopean owl is the best possible scout but I could be wrong

MoosehatIV wrote: »

I think the cyclopean owl is the best possible scout but I could be wrong

It also has the benefit of never being lost on death even if you get a message about it being lost.

Steam Profile
This discussion has been closed.