As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

QUILTBAG: Hi gay, I’m Dad!

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Sitting in the waiting room at the doctor's. Because this is a Plastic Surgery Oh And Also We Do Trans Stuff clinic there is a looping video on a screen showing how various cosmetic procedures work. Including some really detailed imagery of botox needles going into lips and eyelids and aaargh this is harshing my buzz.

Edit: great now we've moved on to a gun-mounted rapid fire needle that looks like someone having a sewing machine used on their face.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Nononononononononono

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Sitting in the waiting room at the doctor's. Because this is a Plastic Surgery Oh And Also We Do Trans Stuff clinic there is a looping video on a screen showing how various cosmetic procedures work. Including some really detailed imagery of botox needles going into lips and eyelids and aaargh this is harshing my buzz.

Edit: great now we've moved on to a gun-mounted rapid fire needle that looks like someone having a sewing machine used on their face.

Oh hey my brain is screaming forever

• NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular

(Tell me more)

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I still find it wild that people inject the most toxic substance known to man into their faces to maintain the illusion that they are not approaching death.

But what right do I have to talk I guess, I want to trick my body into thinking it has different gonads to what it has. Humans are odd.

• pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Are they lazy and don't actually want customers? Did a disgruntled former employee set that up then somehow lock it so they can't change it now? That's a whole heckin' what in the right there.

I still find it wild that people inject the most toxic substance known to man into their faces to maintain the illusion that they are not approaching death.

But what right do I have to talk I guess, I want to trick my body into thinking it has different gonads to what it has. Humans are odd.

Botox also has medical uses. I have a friend with chronic migraines who gets regular botox treatments to reduce their frequency.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

Huh. Did not know that. I guess it makes sense though, a lot of medicines are derived from poisons and other toxins.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    The version of botulinum toxin that we use for Botox is, thankfully, not the really toxic version produced by C. botulinum

• ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular

I can assure you that everyone in that office with medical training probably thinks that video is cool

fuck gendered marketing
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »

I can assure you that everyone in that office with medical training probably thinks that video is cool

It sounds hella interesting to me.

I can recognize the implicit coolness of medical shit but it is entirely subsumed by my complete and total aversion to it.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    You know those moments where you get on the rollercoaster and then it starts slowly going up the initial hill?

That is what my transition feel like right now.

HR is now holding meetings to discuss my "new status" amongst themselves.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
    Guess who's got 2 thumbs and a prescription for testosterone

HELL

YES

DUDE!

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Guess who's got 2 thumbs and a prescription for testosterone

Wait until you sprout the extra testostethumbs! The sky is the limit as far as thumb count goes!

(I don't know what is wrong with me. I'm sorry)

EEEEE I AM EXCITED FOR YOU!

Also! Made some progress today.

Do no harm, take no shit

• El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Also! Made some progress today.

Do no harm, take no shit

Be gay, do crimes.

We've come full circle, everybody.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Did you go private, Smof

• MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    A friend has introduced me to someone that uses they/them and I'm having a super hard time with the grammar. I wrote this in the NFL thread, and it just reads wrong to me:
    I invited a friend over and she brought one of her roller derby teammates (One of the best blockers in the country! #starstruck). They were having a ball watching the defenses do their thing, and reveling in every big hit. The best moment in the game was a play where Goff tried to make something happen by running towards the sideline with two Patriots chasing him. They yelled "Kill him!", and right away a third Patriot comes into frame and just lights Goff up. They just dropped their jaw in awe and whispered "I want to hit someone like that."
    They are a super sweet person, and I don't want to screw up. Is it safe to think they probably are NB? I feel it's rude to ask and rude to assume, and I can just say "person" instead of "boy/girl", but I'm not a great talker, and I know I'm going to put my foot in my mouth somehow.
    I'm not objecting - I use singular they all the time. I'm just having trouble differentiating singular they from plural.

• MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Madpoet wrote: »
    A friend has introduced me to someone that uses they/them and I'm having a super hard time with the grammar. I wrote this in the NFL thread, and it just reads wrong to me:
    I invited a friend over and she brought one of her roller derby teammates (One of the best blockers in the country! #starstruck). They were having a ball watching the defenses do their thing, and reveling in every big hit. The best moment in the game was a play where Goff tried to make something happen by running towards the sideline with two Patriots chasing him. They yelled "Kill him!", and right away a third Patriot comes into frame and just lights Goff up. They just dropped their jaw in awe and whispered "I want to hit someone like that."
    They are a super sweet person, and I don't want to screw up. Is it safe to think they probably are NB? I feel it's rude to ask and rude to assume, and I can just say "person" instead of "boy/girl", but I'm not a great talker, and I know I'm going to put my foot in my mouth somehow.
    I'm not objecting - I use singular they all the time. I'm just having trouble differentiating singular they from plural.

I find this real hard too. I am hoping that practice makes perfect.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
    edited February 2019
    I think if you used for example "she" instead of "they" in that quote it would still be confusing because the subject isn't clear

Platy on
  • mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    You can always use their name instead of a pronoun. Or if you’d rather not use names “I’ll call them [name]” at the start of the paragraph.

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
    Madpoet wrote: »

I would just change that first "they" to "the derby player," and then the subsequent theys will be referring back to that.

Platy wrote: »
    Did you go private, Smof

Yup. This is the clinic I originally contacted last May. Saw the psychiatrist in September, today saw the endocrinologist (and met the surgeon).

• LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Did you go private, Smof

Yup. This is the clinic I originally contacted last May. Saw the psychiatrist in September, today saw the endocrinologist (and met the surgeon).

I'm sorry to hear you had to go private, the NHS should have been able to support you much quicker - the wait times are unacceptable. I'm glad you were able to find somewhere though.

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    Now that you have a prescription, can you switch to an NHS GP for refills etc?

That is the question indeed. Official guidance says yes but GPs aren't obliged to do shared care if they don't want to. The Dr I saw for my NHS clinic referral said he wouldn't do shared care. The endo, who is definitely the nicest doctor I've ever met, is going to write a letter to the GP surgery asking them to please not be dicks.
    Liiya wrote: »
    Did you go private, Smof

I'm sorry to hear you had to go private, the NHS should have been able to support you much quicker - the wait times are unacceptable. I'm glad you were able to find somewhere though.

It's total bullshit. I'm really lucky, but I feel for the people who have been stuck on waiting lists for years, with no idea how much longer they will have to wait.

I'm sorry you had to wait this long even though you went private

I asked the other UK clinic about asssisting me with hormones but I'm concerned that
    a) I might lack legitimacy in the eyes of other people if I choose this route and it might make asking my parents to accept me even harder
    b) they use spiro which apparently isn't commonly used in Germany and Austria. Spiro seems like the safest option there is but the others might help more with certain things? I don't know.

So, uh,

as of this afternoon, my legal name is Lexi.

Now for the long arduous process of finding everywhere I've registered for something under my deadname and getting it updated.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

Someone wants to have a talk with me and explain their "position on it" re: my pronouns

This feels like another gut punch right now and no thanks

Someone wants to have a talk with me and explain their "position on it" re: my pronouns

Their position is irrelevant. They don't get a position.

Tube wrote: »

Their position is irrelevant. They don't get a position.

^
    THAT.

Tell them to fuck off.

Their possible options are as follows
    1) "My position is that I think you're great and want to help however I can!"

OR

2)"I'm a bigot and going to fire myself into the fucking sun"

END OF LIST

They don't want to use female pronouns unless I "physically change" and I'm on hormones - which is a dumb position in any case but feels extra unfair considering my situation

Unfortunately I can't just cut individual people out any way I like

• DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I can't pretend to know what you're exact position is, Platy

my ability to cut folk out as easily as I have is mostly a result of bad circumstances that happen to spare me from most of the repercussions

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
    They don't want to use female pronouns unless I "physically change" and I'm on hormones - which is a dumb position in any case but feels extra unfair considering my situation

Oh they can fuck ALL the way off with this bullshit

cdci44qazyo3.gif

I don't know the specifics of your situation with regards to that person, but I do know that they are definitely not being reasonable and it should absolutely be ok for you to say "no, it is not ok for you to refuse to use my preferred pronouns until an arbitrary point."

I have had friends who transitioned over long periods of time who said "hey, switch over whenever, we'll get there" and I can't honestly remember what the "ok now it's all she/her" point was. If the person transitioning wants to take that approach, I'd say that's up to them, but it absolutely should not be enforced from the other direction and it does not sound like playing the long game in that sense is going to psychologically healthy for you.

I can also tell you for sure, as someone who's been on the other side of this, that if they think waiting until an arbitrary point is going to be easier for them, they're... wrong. It won't. It's tricky no matter when you do it, because of the way our associative memories work, and they should start as soon as possible to get as much practise as possible. My advice to anyone with a friend who's transitioning is "switch early, as soon as you can, use their new name in as many places as possible so you get used to it". It's not that arduous, honestly, it just takes time and practise. There's no excuse for not doing it.

They can refuse to do it until some pointless metric of their own, but that doesn't make them less of an asshole for going against your wishes.

• GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular

apropros of this I once had to go through hundreds and hundreds of real photos of people's insides from heart surgeries to figure out which cases were old enough so that they should, by law, be disposed of.

so that was a thing.

This discussion has been closed.