As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The result of this [love] thread is pointedly clear

• Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    I don’t have any dating apps for pretty much that reason. I considered getting one once like 14 months ago, but I just can’t do it.

I’m single, 30, and ready to meet new people!

Looks like I’m just gonna have go out into the wilds and chat. We do that still, right?

• PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    To the guys here, if you're still on OkCupid, please send out messages

Otherwise matches mean nothing in the face of a ton of dudes who didn't even read your profile

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    The theoretically nice part about dating apps is everyone is looking to meet someone.

If you're approaching people at a bar or wherever, you have no way of knowing if they even want to talk to someone

And approaching people in public always felt weird to me, even just making small talk

I really didn't have much success with dating apps though

• Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Which doesn't really apply to the character Leslie Knope as she's presented, since she pretty much always supports her friends when they need her and stands up vocally against the things she disagrees with (and is pretty anti-capitalist when it interferes with/contradicts the public good).

Of course you can criticize the show itself for not really touching on serious/important national issues, but considering the setting (the local government of a small Indiana town) and tone (a light, upbeat comedy) that was never really going to happen.

• OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Platy wrote: »
    To the guys here, if you're still on OkCupid, please send out messages

Otherwise matches mean nothing in the face of a ton of dudes who didn't even read your profile

They may also have liked someone but not gotten around to sending a message/may want to send out a message later at a more appropriate time.

• Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    The theoretically nice part about dating apps is everyone is looking to meet someone.

If you're approaching people at a bar or wherever, you have no way of knowing if they even want to talk to someone

And approaching people in public always felt weird to me, even just making small talk

I really didn't have much success with dating apps though

I used to be really good at that! I had the timing down, whether it was even the right person to start talking to, I’m pretty funny too! And not just in looks!

But erm, I’m not sure if not in a relationship now 30 year old me still has that. We shall see, I guess.

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Likes on OKCupid are meaningless to me because I don't pay them and so can't see who sent one unless a message is attached. Because of this I don't send any either unless I write a message, since otherwise i'm probably just swiping into the void.

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I mean, a like means that someone will be pushed towards the front of your queue

So if you know that someone has liked you recently, then you know that they're in the top five-ish people in your queue of people to swipe on

So if you just go to the quickmatch page and refresh it a bunch with swiping, you can probably make some educated guesses about the people there

Edit: I haven't been on OKC in like a year so this might not still work

Straightzi on
  • JansonJanson Registered User regular
    The good thing about kids is they get you out of the house

The bad thing about kids is they get you out of the house, because if you don’t get out they’ll tear apart your house and drive you up the wall and basically you can never relax in your home ever

Also as an accountant with the typical accountant’s brain I empathize a lot with Ben Wyatt

• ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I don't know who Ben Wyatt is but the sentiment about kids is accurate.

Please only compare me with Marceline the Vampire Queen and Michael from The Good Place.

Some combination of the two is ideal.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Now my cat is sick. :(

• Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    i'm bill ponderosa

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    It sucks but as a guy on a dating site you have to play a numbers game for the most part.

Like many many people, get liked back from very few. Then decide what to do from there.

I didn’t have time to look too closely to generate the initial volume of likes that I needed.

The numbers game sucks and feels like shit.

Also I am super bummed now.

My cat is sick, I need a ton of dental work, I am super duper lonely...

Life sucks sometimes.

• Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    ceres wrote: »

Please only compare me with Marceline the Vampire Queen and Michael from The Good Place.

Michaelene the architect queen

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    It sucks but as a guy on a dating site you have to play a numbers game for the most part.

Like many many people, get liked back from very few. Then decide what to do from there.

I didn’t have time to look too closely to generate the initial volume of likes that I needed.

It's best not to take it too seriously, I find

Until you meet them, they don't exist. And use the experience to be positive, try and learn more about yourself and what you're looking for

I know I've really learned loads about myself through dating and I'm glad I have

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular

Oh I love their tires

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    The sitcom character I connect with most is Dave Nelson from NewsRadio.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Love thread,

A big ol' magpie briefly landed in front of my window and it had an entire goddamn cookie in its beak.

I am not envious of it being out in -31C, but I am envious of the entire goddamn cookie.

Oh I love their tires

God dammit.

• HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    Love thread,

A big ol' magpie briefly landed in front of my window and it had an entire goddamn cookie in its beak.

I am not envious of it being out in -31C, but I am envious of the entire goddamn cookie.

Shoulda stolen that magpie's cookie. Cookies are for closers.

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Zonugal wrote: »

…..why

……………….how

Shorty on
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »

…..why

……………….how

WHAT!?!

On the plus side I now have some giant filter bags to make cold brew coffee in.

• JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    The only character I will ever consent to be compared to is the kinda chubby, ruddy faced nerd character whose been in the background of almost every TV show ever made despite you having never noticed him played by beloved, veteran character actor Jessie Heiman, titan of the (sort of off in the back, just visible between two other people) screen.

• VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    Love thread,

That magpie would hunt you for the rest of it’s days

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular

…..why

……………….how

WHAT!?!

You're no Dave Nelson, Zon.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    Naphtali wrote: »

…..why

……………….how

WHAT!?!

Zon's some mix of Bill and Beth with just a dash of Andrew

cdci44qazyo3.gif

Solar wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »

It's best not to take it too seriously, I find

Until you meet them, they don't exist. And use the experience to be positive, try and learn more about yourself and what you're looking for

I know I've really learned loads about myself through dating and I'm glad I have

If I don't take it a little seriously I'm not going to do it at all. It is a huge task to get out of bed in the morning every day much less pull together the wherewithal to type a thoughtful introduction message on a dating site.

Also the downside isn't any particular person not responding. It's the combined crushing emotional weight of doing the same thing over and over with no appreciable change in the results while going through the motions of life feels much the same way.

Also like it or not trying to date is an emotional requirement for me. Being in a long term commited relationship with someone someday is one of my life goals, one of the only ones that I've never been able to reliably work towards but carries a significant amount of value to me in that I have lived a life of emotional isolation and neglect and that kind of intamacy does wonders for my psyche.

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I am somewhere between Boyle in Brooklynn 99 and Andy from P&R.

But, like, not in a good way, I guess, since apparently I'm "the worst" and "can't read" and "don't use ""quotation marks"" right".

• HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »
    Love thread,

Unlike ravens and crows, magpies cannot communicate with each other in Bird Speak and are thus not likely to cause an entire population of avian creatures to harass me to my dying day. It probably would have forgotten by mid-afternoon, whereupon it would have stolen popcorn from a local squirrel and defecated in a nearby drinking fountain.

Veldrin wrote: »
    Love thread,

Unlike ravens and crows, magpies cannot communicate with each other in Bird Speak and are thus not likely to cause an entire population of avian creatures to harass me to my dying day. It probably would have forgotten by mid-afternoon, whereupon it would have stolen popcorn from a local squirrel and defecated in a nearby drinking fountain.

I’m not sure what kind of magpies you have there, but the ones here will absolutely go well out of their way to fuck you up if they’re so inclined. I have a scar on the back of my head and my arm as evidence of this.

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    A lone wolf! A rogue! Not representative! #notallmagpies

I've never met a magpie that wasn't a closer tbh

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Magpies in Australia and NZ are whiter than Northern Hemisphere magpies.

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Dave Nelson in the streets, Mr. James in the sheets

Naphtali wrote: »

…..why

……………….how

WHAT!?!

Zon's some mix of Bill and Beth with just a dash of Andrew

I have certainly drifted into Bill McNeal territory in jobs where I was one of the most senior/experienced staff members.

newsradio_imaginary.jpg

To be clear, I love magpies.

They’re beautiful, intelligent, hilarious little shitheads.

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Man I miss Phil Hartman.

Also after Khandi Alexander left the show wasn’t as good. I mean it was still good! Just not AS good.

And I’ve still never seen the last season aside from the first and last episodes.

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    zonnie is half Ross and half every character Jason Mantzoukas has ever played

This discussion has been closed.