As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Legend of Zelda] Link's Awakening remake coming to Switch in 2019

• StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    cutting the legs also makes stalker guardians super easy

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    I took a break from gaming for a while (thanks Grad School) and now I'm stuck in the camel guardian, whatever his name is. I think I've done one terminal and now I'm absolutely stuck. Probably just going to find a video walkthrough and just do it that way. I really just want to get back to exploring the world. It's the best part of the whole game.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Vah Nabooris.

Enlong on
  • physi_marcphysi_marc Positron Tracker In a nutshellRegistered User regular
    cutting the legs also makes stalker guardians super easy

Something I learned on this second play through. This game!

3DS Friend Code: 3952-7043-7606
    Switch Friend Code: 3102-5341-0358
    Nintendo Network ID: PhysiMarc
  • WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    Just finished the Champions' Ballad stuff.
    1. Everything about this DLC was just...satisfying. The creative shrines, the extra memories, the final boss fight. It was just all so good.

2. That dungeon design was super cool. I already knew the fifth beast was a motorcycle/horse, so it felt really neat to be connecting the inner workings of my new ride. Kinda like I imagine the satisfaction of working on a real bike would feel.

3. Zelda thinks I'm ready to fight Ganon now, but like...I kinda don't want to? I realize there's this whole area of the map I'm not exploring by avoiding the castle, not to mention the actual story resolution. But I'm still just enjoying tooling around the countryside, headshotting fools and working on my compendium. Especially now that I can startle a stork on my bike and get close enough to thwack it out of the air with the Master Sword before it can gain any elevation on me.

This is a really good game, y'all.

I took a break from gaming for a while (thanks Grad School) and now I'm stuck in the camel guardian, whatever his name is. I think I've done one terminal and now I'm absolutely stuck. Probably just going to find a video walkthrough and just do it that way. I really just want to get back to exploring the world. It's the best part of the whole game.

don't give up! try messing around a bit longer, go outside, move the 3 parts a bunch
    if nothing works, leave the beast, play some more around the world and come back later

camo_sig2.png
  • The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    or just look it up, whatever. I'm pretty liberal with guide usage because the answer is generally pretty obvious, I'm just missing some minor part or the UI was weird and made me think I couldn't do a thing that I actually could. And there's no satisfaction in taking half an hour to sleuth that sort of issue out.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Was camel the one with the rotating insides? Because yeah, my mind just couldn't quite wrap itself around that level of euclidean geometry. Especially since I was kind of anal and wanted all the chests too.

The other beasts aren't nearly as weird.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    For me it was that one chest in the lizard. You probably already know which one I'm talking about.
    The one you had to access by going outside and gliding down to a platform on it's belly

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    Finished the sword trials.

Several of those rooms were 7 kinds of hot bullshit. Ironically I think I hated the moblins more than the lynels or guardians.

• IblisIblis Registered User regular
    I purchased the Champion's Ballad with some Nintendo e-shop dollars I got for my birthday. Fuck the Champion's Ballad.

"Okay, so you beat the stupid monster camp while at one health point? Have a shrine that's designed to repeatedly kill you for any mistakes too! Also we don't know what the fuck checkpointing is, so hope you enjoy doing the same tedious bullshit over and over and over and over again in case you're having trouble with a part!"

Mind the shrine isn't too hard, but it just keeps throwing shit at me and anytime I fuck up on a part I have to do the same bullshit I know how to do and have done several times. It's not even particularly difficult, it's just fucking tedious and frustrating. Kind of pissed I gave them money for this tripe.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    The one health bit is indeed a bit shit, but there’s a lot more good stuff afterwards.

Majora’s Mask helps cheese the camp fights bit at least.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • IblisIblis Registered User regular
    Forgot about Majora's Mask. Though the camp fight wasn't too bad, just kited and hid a lot. Mind that's one out of four? And I guess even then I don't think it's particularly good design, just at least less tedious.

The shrine is a pain since it just keeps going and I've died twice at the end as the spiked wall comes out and, as it turns out, if you let the camera orient naturally and try to move forward it sends you off a ledge. And it's like, just give me a checkpoint! I can get by the earlier parts no problem, so the game is punishing me with tedium for not figuring out something that seems to be largely trial and error. I'll probably continue tomorrow, but right now I'm just kind of pissed at the poor design, especially since they want a premium for this shit.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
    I didn't mind any of that. I even had a good time with that particular Urbosa trial later.
    and the reward is so amazing.

camo_sig2.png
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    The trick to those fights is to ignore the stuoid weapon. Its a trap. Use bows and bombs. Sneak around.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    Iblis wrote: »
    I purchased the Champion's Ballad with some Nintendo e-shop dollars I got for my birthday. Fuck the Champion's Ballad.

"Okay, so you beat the stupid monster camp while at one health point? Have a shrine that's designed to repeatedly kill you for any mistakes too! Also we don't know what the fuck checkpointing is, so hope you enjoy doing the same tedious bullshit over and over and over and over again in case you're having trouble with a part!"

Mind the shrine isn't too hard, but it just keeps throwing shit at me and anytime I fuck up on a part I have to do the same bullshit I know how to do and have done several times. It's not even particularly difficult, it's just fucking tedious and frustrating. Kind of pissed I gave them money for this tripe.

Yup. I loathed that part of the ballad dlc. Push through because once you finish the stupid part, the rest I felt was much better.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    I tried to do one of the camps using the implied approach (be stealthy, pick off the enemies one by one with your super-weapon, don't get hit, etc), and it worked out kinda OK. Then the other camps I took down using the pro-tier high-skill approach of standing far away and pelting them with bomb arrows using a lynel 5X bow.

• NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    Fun thing to do:
    Get some lightning proof gear. Fight enemies with a metal sword in a thunderstorm. Time it so you are in the middle of a slowmo flurry attack when lightning strikes.

You're welcome.

• NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    Combat tip. Frozen enemies take 3x damage. They also count as wet for the purposes of electric attacks.

• Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    I tried to do one of the camps using the implied approach (be stealthy, pick off the enemies one by one with your super-weapon, don't get hit, etc), and it worked out kinda OK. Then the other camps I took down using the pro-tier high-skill approach of standing far away and pelting them with bomb arrows using a lynel 5X bow.

The one in the mountains is easy to cheese with sniping; most of the enemies are ice-elemental so you can one-shot them with fire arrows.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    Vah Nabooris.

His real name is actually Camelius McGillicutty.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
  • plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    So our boy is playing tennis soon: data miners found evidence Link will be added to Mario Tennis.

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
    Henroid wrote: »

In the name of the Goddess Hylia, I offer this what the actual fuck.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I can barely do it 1 on 1!

• plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    The link data mine might have been faked, it seems. Boo.

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular

*undies fly off*

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    It took me a minute but I get why the shield swapping was happening; animation canceling. After you swing the shield there's a pretty huge delay, but whoever that was, they were fucking on it. Kinda makes me wonder if there's a way to roll that into a speedrun category as a strat.

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    It took me a minute but I get why the shield swapping was happening; animation canceling. After you swing the shield there's a pretty huge delay, but whoever that was, they were fucking on it. Kinda makes me wonder if there's a way to roll that into a speedrun category as a strat.

Only for an all shrines% I think. That point in the game is probably the only place where you can be targeted by that many at once.
    And even then it's probably still faster to just run past them.

I liked the turning away from the explosions at the end. If you're going to do this, you gotta do it right.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Raybies666Raybies666 Registered User regular
    I'm restarting Breath of the Wild again.

Goodbye gaming world for a while

Beat me on Wii U: Raybies
    Beat me on 360: Raybies666

I remember when I had time to be good at games.
  • physi_marcphysi_marc Positron Tracker In a nutshellRegistered User regular
    Raybies666 wrote: »
    I'm restarting Breath of the Wild again.

Goodbye gaming world for a while

I completed a second playthrough just before Christmas so I could do the DLC in the order it becomes available. It was pretty great. I find playing Breath of the Wild so soothing, especially with all the nature sounds.

3DS Friend Code: 3952-7043-7606
    Switch Friend Code: 3102-5341-0358
    Nintendo Network ID: PhysiMarc
  • Raybies666Raybies666 Registered User regular
    I had started Master Mode when the DLC came out, then fell off a bit and didn't see the DLC at all.

I thought a clean start would be best.

Oddly enough, I thought the game didn't look that great, like I had remembered it looking way better. Less than 20 minutes later, I was marvelling at the beauty.

Beat me on Wii U: Raybies
    Beat me on 360: Raybies666

I remember when I had time to be good at games.
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    I still want... more.

I hope they’re Majora’s Masking this gig; all the assets are fine, just gimmi a new map and use the same NPC models but give them new personalities. I’d buy it day one!

I doubt they will though. I just hope the next one builds heavily from BotW, whenever it comes around.

they can just drop stuff on that map and I'll keep playing

camo_sig2.png
    I don't know why they don't do more asset reuse. I wouldn't complain about getting two zelda games every generation that shared assets.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    I don't know why they don't do more asset reuse. I wouldn't complain about getting two zelda games every generation that shared assets.

I mean, have you seen all the whining people do about the New Super Mario Bros sub-series?

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »

I mean, have you seen all the whining people do about the New Super Mario Bros sub-series?

There's a difference between "two games a piece with the same assets" (see: Pokemon) and "four games and a rerelease with the same style spread over a decade and a half"

That said, the whinging over that is overblown. How much you gonna do with a new 2D Mario game? It's just there so every kid who gets their first Nintendo console has a modern version of Mario to be their first Mario, like the og New was for me. And now I don't need to play another game in that series ever again because I've had the experience and it served its purpose

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I still find watching the four player in that series incredibly entrtaining

• TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »

There's a difference between "two games a piece with the same assets" (see: Pokemon) and "four games and a rerelease with the same style spread over a decade and a half"

That said, the whinging over that is overblown. How much you gonna do with a new 2D Mario game? It's just there so every kid who gets their first Nintendo console has a modern version of Mario to be their first Mario, like the og New was for me. And now I don't need to play another game in that series ever again because I've had the experience and it served its purpose

Also it is worth keeping in mind that the real bulk of the NSMB complaints came when NSMB2 and NSMBU came out within months of each other, and at a time where both consoles were having trouble establishing themselves. The DS and Wii games had their detractors, but the series was not the target of widespread distaste until those two games.

I think peoples problem with sequels doesn't come from when assets are re-used. People love Mario Galaxy 2, Majora's Mask, all sorts of other stuff. People get upset when the sequel doesn't bring anything new to the table. To prove my point- NSMB was the first 2D Mario game in over a decade, it got a pass. NSMBWii was the first multiplayer Mario game, it got a pass. I don't know what genuinely new and interesting things NSMB2 and NSMBU bring to the table, because Nintendo's marketing never managed to sell me on either of them. The closest I got was New Super Luigi U, because, guess what, it was something new.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    I think NSMB is ugly and the music is bad. So asset reuse for that was the worst. Building another BotW size world for us to explore using the same assets? That would be perfect.