As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[NBA] Thread: Dame Ascending to Final Form

• ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    I'm not going to argue they aren't a frustrating team but the Kings are actually pretty good.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Butters wrote: »
    I'm not going to argue they aren't a frustrating team but the Kings are actually pretty good.

It's been fun watching reactions around here this year. Already tied last year's number of wins, 30 games left to play.

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    They also have a shitton of cap space so it's not impossible that they might sway a big name

• KelorKelor Registered User regular

NO really wants to make sure that the Lakers want Davis.

I don't see how LA can make that deal. Even if you have Davis and LeBron you still need some of your picks to make deals in other acquisitions. That trade would leave them starting G League players next to two hall of fame players.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I don’t know. With LeBron and Davis, you might only need ten other bodies to apply fouls to the other team. Might get yourself to the second round of playoffs with that strategy. All the way to the finals if they were in the East.

• Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    It's fun to read Celtics fans' reactions to Davis not wanting to go there. Between outright denial and belief that they can win without him OR Kyrie if he leaves too there's a lot of other hilarity too.

• TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    I had a dream Denver traded Gary Harris, Jokic and a 1st for Davis and I was SO UPSET.

I don’t know. With LeBron and Davis, you might only need ten other bodies to apply fouls to the other team. Might get yourself to the second round of playoffs with that strategy. All the way to the finals if they were in the East.

You need three and D guys around LeBron to take full advantage of his passing gifts and because he's not the defender he used to be. You also can't expect to compete for a championship when all your bench centric lineups are -20. That's what the Cavs were in 2017 and 2018 and it wasn't pretty.

AD would be the greatest player he's ever been paired with, sure but at this point in his career LeBron needs real guys that can play real minutes in the playoffs. In a league where Rodney Hood costs two second round picks the Lakers will need some of theirs to fill the gaps. No one wants second round picks a decade out assuming it's even allowed to trade that many that far into the future

• y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    Goose! wrote: »
    It's fun to read Celtics fans' reactions to Davis not wanting to go there. Between outright denial and belief that they can win without him OR Kyrie if he leaves too there's a lot of other hilarity too.

I am hoping Kyrie can be convinced to stay if the Cs turn it on and then Davis stays if Kyrie is there, but I’m not optimistic

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
    The Kyrie situation is really weird. He by all accounts really wanted to go to Boston when be forced his way out of Cleveland. For him to get so unhappy now while they still have a puncher's chance at the NBA Finals should be disconcerting to any free agent destination franchise.

• MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    I'm kind of okay with Kyrie's reaction. The media comes in and starts talking about trading half the guys in the locker room who are busting their butts off to win a championship this season. I'd be salty too.

edited February 2019
    Maximum wrote: »
    I'm kind of okay with Kyrie's reaction. The media comes in and starts talking about trading half the guys in the locker room who are busting their butts off to win a championship this season. I'd be salty too.

Except there's also loads of reports about him not getting along with those guys very well.

Looking back this isn't the first time Kyrie has been linked to locker room unrest. But it the past the players calling him out were guys like Deon Waiters and it was on a lottery team so no one cared.

Butters on
  • davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Butters wrote: »

You need three and D guys around LeBron to take full advantage of his passing gifts and because he's not the defender he used to be. You also can't expect to compete for a championship when all your bench centric lineups are -20. That's what the Cavs were in 2017 and 2018 and it wasn't pretty.

AD would be the greatest player he's ever been paired with, sure but at this point in his career LeBron needs real guys that can play real minutes in the playoffs. In a league where Rodney Hood costs two second round picks the Lakers will need some of theirs to fill the gaps. No one wants second round picks a decade out assuming it's even allowed to trade that many that far into the future

That’s what I’m talking about. 1st or 2nd round playoffs, unless it’s the east then it’s a pass to the finals. Like in 2017/18.

• Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Kyrie is a head case

• Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    John Wall is out for a year after slipping and falling in his home, rupturing his Achilles

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    That fucking blows.

• Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    In a league with the Bulls, Cavs, Knicks and Suns, the Wizards are still by far the saddest NBA team right now

• y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    That fucking blows.

In unrelated news, his 4 year supermax extension worth $42 mil a year starts next season

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    That fucking blows.

In unrelated news, his 4 year supermax extension worth $42 mil a year starts next season

Mexico will pay for it.

• BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    That fucking blows.

Yeah somebody asked him awhile ago why he didn't wait a year to sign that supermax for the chance to put like an extra $50 mil on the back end, he said "you never know what can happen. I never wanted to chance it, so I was like, why?"

At least he doesn't have that hanging over his head. He made the smart move signing when he did.

• Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    I don't understand why the internet thinks that getting all of the Lakers' young players somehow makes the trade better for the Pelicans. The Lakers "core" was a bad team last season, and they've been a consistently bad team when LeBron is out. There's a reason LeBron isn't content to just wait for them to mature for another year and has been making backroom maneuvers to secure AD sooner rather than later.

If I were the Pels, I wouldn't want anyone on the Lakers roster as-is. I'd much rather just have more draft picks. If they want to give me a young player then fine, but I'm dumping my albatross contracts on them to make it fair, because I don't really care if I get them or not.

I don't understand why the internet thinks that getting all of the Lakers' young players somehow makes the trade better for the Pelicans. The Lakers "core" was a bad team last season, and they've been a consistently bad team when LeBron is out. There's a reason LeBron isn't content to just wait for them to mature for another year and has been making backroom maneuvers to secure AD sooner rather than later.

If I were the Pels, I wouldn't want anyone on the Lakers roster as-is. I'd much rather just have more draft picks. If they want to give me a young player then fine, but I'm dumping my albatross contracts on them to make it fair, because I don't really care if I get them or not.

Then take those players and swap them for picks. I appreciate that NO is in no hurry, but I honestly don't think they're going to ever get more than what LA is offering right now.

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I would think the offer shrinks the longer they wait.

• Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular

just another gm somehow walking into a danny ainge trap in 2019.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • BobbleBobble Registered User regular

On the other hand, Zion Williamson could become a key piece of a trade offer after the draft lottery.

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Also idk how much longer they have to give Ingram to "mature" be able to see her he isn't a good player and isn't going to be.

Players who are good are much better than Ingram much earlier; see Ben Simmons, Donovan Mitchell for recent examples.

• NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Also idk how much longer they have to give Ingram to "mature" be able to see her he isn't a good player and isn't going to be.

Players who are good are much better than Ingram much earlier; see Ben Simmons, Donovan Mitchell for recent examples.

Both of those guys are also older than Ingram.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
    I think whichever team drafts Zion plans on keeping him.

• Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Maximum wrote: »

Then take those players and swap them for picks. I appreciate that NO is in no hurry, but I honestly don't think they're going to ever get more than what LA is offering right now.

I doubt they would find any willing trading partners for more than second-round picks. Which would then beg the question of why should I need to find another trading partner when you can just give me your second-round picks?

I think the Lakers offer would be more palatable if they stopped trying to dump their young players on the Pelicans and just offered straight-up draft picks. Or if they found a third partner and guaranteed the return of draft picks instead of expecting the Pelicans to do the work for them.

Nirya wrote: »
    Dhalphir wrote: »

Both of those guys are also older than Ingram.

Not relevant when you consider the magnitude of the gap between his first three seasons and the first three seasons of most good players.

He's just not good. He hasn't even become a league average player yet, let alone a star.

Ingram's first three seasons have been substantially worse than even Rudy Gay's first three seasons, who I don't think anyone would argue is a star. That's without even comparing him to an actual star.

It seems strange that the practical logistics of a player being traded away - cleaning their locker, removing their number - would start to happen before the trade was even leaked, let alone announced.

I would have thought that the logistics like that would be a follow-on from the announcements.

• Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Imagine being a professional referee and making this call

https://streamable.com/dic8x

Instead of a 4 point play like it should have been, it was a turnover. Je sus. The Sixers played bad in this game but Christ.

aeNqQM9.jpg
    Stuff like that makes it really hard to believe that games aren't rigged by refs.

Look at the performance by the Lakers' "young core" tonight and tell me why the Pelicans would even consider them positive assets in a trade?

• MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    I think a team getting one or two of the younger players would be good. I think the problem is that they haven't had a real structured team to play and develop under and that stops them from becoming the players they should be.

• KelorKelor Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXwo2bI6Phg

"Stop checking social media, you'll be less bummed out if you don't know I'm trying to get rid of you."

I have a hard time dredging up sympathy for Lebron. I'm semi-convinced that a big part of this urgency on trading for Anthony Davis is that they (the Lakers, who are generally agreed to be better than Cleveland was last year) not making the playoffs pokes holes in his legacy of reaching the finals if he doesn't do so as soon as he changed conferences.

This discussion has been closed.