As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Marvel] Thread: Now in WandaVision!

• -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Wait is Coulson dead dead?

Yes

PNk1Ml4.png
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular

At the end of the season he had a deadly alien disease and the only cure was used to defeat General ZodTalbot.

• Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular

He made a deal with the Rider

I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular

He made a deal with the Rider

Coulson is dead. Make way for the rider...VENGANCE!

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Make him a LMD

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Coulson died in Avengers, it's been awhile so I figure it's not really a spoiler anymore

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »

I swear I've seen Clark Gregg do interviews and stuff before but he sounds so different in this clip for some reason.

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    It's pretty strongly diverged from the comics overall, but there's an interesting bit of casting news for Legion season 3

Small spoilers, I suppose

They're both quite young (as in, younger than Dan Stevens), so I'm guessing this is flashback or time fuckery or hallucinations

But hey, meet the new Charles Xavier

tl-horizontal_main_2x.jpg

Straightzi on
  • Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Casting spoilers
    If you’re wondering how he might look bald...
    Game of Thrones spoiler
    anbcgjptcnlk.jpeg

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

I swear I've seen Clark Gregg do interviews and stuff before but he sounds so different in this clip for some reason.

And she says she's with "the one and only" Clark Gregg, which just has me suspicious that there are other, different Clark Greggs they don't want us to know about...

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular

And she says she's with "the one and only" Clark Gregg, which just has me suspicious that there are other, different Clark Greggs they don't want us to know about...

The Multiverse is filled with Clark Greggs.

Some say they even have their own council.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
    Zonugal wrote: »

Could you imagine discovering a way to peer into alternate universes and discovering that there were infinite alternate versions of everyone you knew

but no other you?

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

Could you imagine discovering a way to peer into alternate universes and discovering that there were infinite alternate versions of everyone you knew

but no other you?

See, I'd be worried that one of my alt-universe selves discovered dimension hopping and decided to kill off every version of myself, and the reason I can't find HIM is because the phone call is coming from inside my own universe.

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    The second Marvel FCBD title is a Spider-Man crossover story with Miles Morales and Peter Parker written by Saladin Ahmed and Tom Taylor with art from Cory Smith, and a Venom back-up by Donny Cates and Ryan Stegman, both which are being billed to set the direction of the Spider-Man titles for the next year or so.

CYpGAPn.png
  • tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular

but no other you?

This was actually the plot of a Star Trek novel! Of course involving a Q, but the gist of it is that
    in one, and only one, universe, Beverly Crusher's husband Jack did not die. Trelane, one of the Q, finds him and convinces him that this was intentional and Picard deliberately designed the encounter to kill him so there could be romance with Beverly. Jack goes insane of course, and with Trelane's help/meddling attempts to disrupt the entire multiverse to get revenge.

God the Star Trek novels were bonkers

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular

but no other you?

Yes, as a narcissist, that is very easy for me to imagine.

Personally, I believe the multiverse holds true to The One theory.

And I am waiting for my cross-dimensional doppleganger to show up and try to kill me to siphon my universal energy.

• Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I feel he get more indigestion from you rather than any sort of power

Bloods End on
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I sometimes think I shouldn't even exist in this universe, much less all others

• RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Is it worse to meet your alternate universe self who's managed to be much more successful under similar circumstances

Or to meet your alternate universe self whose life is worse than your own

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    What if there's multiple multiverses, each spanning from a single source like branches from a tree. Each 'tree' houses a particular subject kinda like a media franchise. And when these multiverses brush, that's where you get crossovers and fanfics that drop one multiverse's constant into another like JLA/Avengers or Fallout Equestria.

• MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    Personally, I believe the multiverse holds true to The One theory.

And I am waiting for my cross-dimensional doppleganger to show up and try to kill me to siphon my universal energy.

Alternate me's is pretty much a F/M/K situation

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

but no other you?

See, I'd be worried that one of my alt-universe selves discovered dimension hopping and decided to kill off every version of myself, and the reason I can't find HIM is because the phone call is coming from inside my own universe.

OmarDOOM's coming!

I re-read Superman: Birthright the other day and was really surprised at how well it holds up 15 years later and feels like it could have come out just the other day outside of, like, emails and flip phones being prominent.

So I decided to re-read another comic turning 15 years old this year: Whedon's Astonishing X-Men

It uh

It has not aged nearly as well

In the first 5 issues there was an R-Word drop, Wolverine being sexist as hell multiple times, slut shaming of Emma Frost and an extremely painful scene where Logan and Beast fight over Logan refusing to let Hank have agency over his own body.

There are still bits I'm enjoying, and Cassaday's art is much better than he has been doing recently, but WOOF it feels so much more dated than Birthright even though they are the same age.

CYpGAPn.png
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I love Superman Brithright.

It's still absolutely fantastic and this scene in particular has aged like fine wine:

CYpGAPn.png
    edited February 2019
    I re-read Superman: Birthright the other day and was really surprised at how well it holds up 15 years later and feels like it could have come out just the other day outside of, like, emails and flip phones being prominent.

So I decided to re-read another comic turning 15 years old this year: Whedon's Astonishing X-Men

It uh

It has not aged nearly as well

In the first 5 issues there was an R-Word drop, Wolverine being sexist as hell multiple times, slut shaming of Emma Frost and an extremely painful scene where Logan and Beast fight over Logan refusing to let Hank have agency over his own body.

There are still bits I'm enjoying, and Cassaday's art is much better than he has been doing recently, but WOOF it feels so much more dated than Birthright even though they are the same age.

I am finding that Whedon's work, in general, has become less appealing to me with time. One of the things where the flaws stand out a lot more and seem worse than they used to

OmnipotentBagel on
    cdci44qazyo3.gif

• TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    I tried reading Avengers Vol 1 #1 recently. I got as far as the first Hank / Jan scene and had to stop. Now that is something that hasn't aged well.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Tomanta wrote: »
    I tried reading Avengers Vol 1 #1 recently. I got as far as the first Hank / Jan scene and had to stop. Now that is something that hasn't aged well.

Go read Fanastic Four #1.

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Every old comic has a bit where the female lead is like "Well, I'm just a dumb girl anyway, so what do I know?" Karen Page says almost that verbatim in Daredevil #1. Probably Lois is the best because she DESPERATELY wants that story (whatever "the story" currently is) and will shit talk a gangster to his face to get one. But then she's also desperately trying to force Superman into marriage or putting on blackface in other stories so...

shoeboxjeddy on
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I go back and re-read the Amazing Spider-Man probably every few years

Still good

• Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    Every old comic has a bit where the female lead is like "Well, I'm just a dumb girl anyway, so what do I know?" Karen Page says almost that verbatim in Daredevil #1. Probably Lois is the best because she DESPERATELY wants that story (whatever "the story" currently is) and will shit talk a gangster to his face to get one. But then she's also desperately trying to force Superman into marriage or putting on blackface in other stories so...

She was not putting on blackface she literally turned into a black lady god.

Comics are weird

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Then she dared Superman to prove he wasn't racist by marrying her.

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I mean her logic is airtight

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    And that might not crack the top ten of insane things comics did in that era
    (Might, because it's a top ten contender)

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Bloods End wrote: »

She was not putting on blackface she literally turned into a black lady god.

Comics are weird

Did she, or did she not, "blacken" her face? And also, the pigment of her entire skin and her lips somehow, but don't change the subject!

My next 12 slides in this presentation are entirely about the Joker's competitive boner frenzy, so get psyched for that.

• HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    I think Superman Birthright was one of the few comics where immediately after finishing it my first thought was "wow".

Either that or Superman Secret Identity.

Maybe both!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cE8hO79bsOc

Can't think of another Marvel book at the moment that made me feel that way. Maybe Daredevil Born Again, but it's been a while since I read it.

Not to say there aren't any good Marvel books. I just can't remember them at the moment.

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
    Apparently Mike Deodato announced at a panel in Brazil back in December that he is leaving Marvel this year to pursue writing and drawing his own projects

I'm assuming it wasn't widely covered because it was at a Brazilian convention and the sites reporting it are in Portugese, but it appears to be legit

To be honest, that is great news but not for the reason I assume Deodato would hope. His art has been plummeting downhill since his Thunderbolts days and has only gotten worse, and he is treated as one of their go-to big artists so hopefully someone better will start getting that shot.

I'm assuming his FCBD story will likely be one of this last works with Marvel, as it would be silly for him to launch whatever book it is setting up if he is out by the end of the year.

CYpGAPn.png
This discussion has been closed.