As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Xbox/XBL] Crackdown 3 is out! And not delayed again!

• Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    PoP: The Forgotten Sands (2010) - I literally didn't know this game existed until just now and I thought I played all the PoP games. shame.

It's ok. It's not as good as Sands of Time but it's more refined. It feels like a shrug, like they had some stuff already done on it and just finished it, an afterthought for all involved.

OR A FORGOTTEN SANDERTHOUGHT.

It's fine, it's...fine.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I thought Warrior Within was way better than Two Thrones. On a related note, Godsmack was my shit back then as well so that's probably why.

Forgotten Sands is pretty good. It came out alongside the movie I believe, but I think it was more a side-story set between either SoT and WW or WW and TT. It didn't actually have anything to do with the movie, I think.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    I thought Warrior Within was way better than Two Thrones.
    huh.

well, there had to be one person who did

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    The Forgotten Sands also has a Wii release that is completely different from the other consoles and PC. Apart from annoying obligatory pointer controls, I remember it being quite good.

• Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    Forgotten Sands was a perfectly fine, though unremarkable, game. The most memorable thing about it was that it wasn’t too bad to get every achievement.

I mean, I know I played it, but I couldn’t tell you what happened in the plot at all.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    It's funny, if there's one thing I do remember it was the Sand

• Options

I chuckled at this

you son of a bitch

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    I liked WW for the back and forth time mechanic. The angst made sense for somebody being chased by an implacable death monster. Mainly, it suffered simply by not being SoT.

Haven't yet played Forgotten Sands, but it was made to both sell the movie and somehow give people what they were demanding and that was a return to the SoT Prince rather than anything the reboot did. By then, AC was huge and Uni abandoned Prince of Persia.

Be careful what you wish for.

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Saw Hardtarget listing PoP games.

Thought he'd come after one of the best PoP games (2008).

He did not.

I am shocked and awed.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options

He did not.

I am shocked and awed.

but i like good games and it was a good game?

:(

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    So because I have gamepass thanks to a division 2 preorder I played through the first metro game, it was definitely interesting. Going to try the second one today, hopefully its less ahem on the rails...

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Preacher wrote: »
    So because I have gamepass thanks to a division 2 preorder I played through the first metro game, it was definitely interesting. Going to try the second one today, hopefully its less ahem on the rails...

It is not. The first two Metro games are very good, but very linear.

I hope the same team can pull off Exodus, which is not quite open world but not as on rails as the first two.

chamberlain on
  • Options

He did not.

I am shocked and awed.

but i like good games and it was a good game?

:(

Shocked and awed!

• Options
    Preacher wrote: »

I just wanted to reply to let you know that I thought the "on the rails" gag was well done.

Also PoP 2008 was a pretty fun game. It was more rhythm game than platformer in places, which I think annoyed a lot of series purists. It's a pity they decided to sell the ending separately and then THAT ending was a cliffhanger.

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    so there's a Titanfall Battle Royale game now, which doesn't feature Titans. called Apex Legends, F2P, available now. had a nifty trailer at least.

https://youtu.be/oQtHENM_GZU

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    A quick Prince of Persia Timeline with my sweet comments:

Prince of Persia (1989) - DAMN THOSE ROTOSCOPES DAWG
    PoP 2 (1993) - boy that's a lot of enemies
    Prince of Persia 3D (1999) - VERY BAD
    PoP: The Sands of Time (2003) - HELL YA TIME DAGGER
    PoP: Warrior Within (2004) - WHAT HAPPENED, WHY THE BROODING
    PoP: The Two Thrones (2005) - HELL YEAH AGAIN
    Prince of Persia (2008) - this is pretty dang cool, hope it gets a sequel
    PoP: The Forgotten Sands (2010) - I literally didn't know this game existed until just now and I thought I played all the PoP games. shame.
    My take on the games ...

PoP: The Sands of Time (2003) - Great platforming, terrible combat (that's worth suffering through), okay story that's told really well. It wraps it up in a perfect standalone package with no need for a sequel ....
    PoP: Warrior Within (2004) - WHY DID YOU DO THIS? I just said the ending was perfect, why fuck it up? And we're doubling down on the awful combat? Oh shit, I'm bleeding because I cut myself on all that edge.
    PoP: The Two Thrones (2005) - So this game tries to right the ship, and does an okay job of it. And they let you skip most of the still-terrible combat if you get good and the stealth/QTE system, so that makes it the most playable thus far.
    Prince of Persia (2008) - Cool art. Gameplay felt like it was on autopilot. If you're going to scale back the gameplay this much, make up for it with a better story.
    PoP: The Forgotten Sands (2010) - Completely forgettable and unnecessary addition to the story, but good platforming, and much prettier than Sands of Time. The combat is braindead, but that just means it's easier to get back to the good part of the game.

do I need to play this?!?!
    It's worth a playthrough. It's not even that long.

• Options
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    so there's a Titanfall Battle Royale game now, which doesn't feature Titans. called Apex Legends, F2P, available now. had a nifty trailer at least.

i played one round of this and then fired up Titanfall 2 in the first time in forever. so, uh, good job Respawn i guess?

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular

Who doesn't?

l2P5Mur.gif

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    So because I was snowed in seattle I finished metro last light. It was still very linear, but they did a lot better job with environments and telling a story than the first one even if the tacked on love interest was tacked on.

Also major props for creepiest spiders in an fps game? Like they were in the first game but way way more creepy awful in the second one. Weapons also felt meatier. Glad I played both of them, sadly exodus comes out when Anthem does and division not too long after but I'll probably pick it up on a spring or summer sale?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    PoP SoT was awesome with combat that got old by the end.
    PoP WW did improve the combat with throws, dual wielding, and throwing your dual wield weapon, but also there was too much of it against bad enemies. The plot starts out really bad but then becomes rather very clever just before the halfway mark and the game turns out very good by the end.
    PoP TTT has some very clever retconning to bring the first two games very separate styles and tones into a cohesive story. They know people aren't feeling the combat so they allow you to skip it straight up. But the boss fights are real real bad. And chariot racing is right out.
    PoP '08 was the start of a very interesting series... that never got a sequel. Come on Ubi, the ONE TIME you don't proceed with a franchise... I really liked the whole bantering on command feature on this one.
    PoP Forgotten Sands had some very nice platforming, but a negative zero interesting storyline that should not have even pretended to be in the trilogy timeline. I always kind of wanted to try out the Wii version as well, which was apparently a somewhat unique one and not a direct port, but not enough to buy it.

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular

i played one round of this and then fired up Titanfall 2 in the first time in forever. so, uh, good job Respawn i guess?

It got me to finally fire up Titanfall 2 for the first time and go through its campaign

• Options
    Opty wrote: »

It got me to finally fire up Titanfall 2 for the first time and go through its campaign

That’s a pretty good outcome then. I lurrrrrrrved the Titanfall 2 campaign.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    I need to play it again especially with the Xbox One X enhancements, but for some reason the Titanfall 2 campaign never clicked with me at all. What I've played so far is basically going through the motions.

I guess there's too much time spent outside of your Titan, and during that time, I really wish they had you fighting Titans on foot with AT weapons, instead of long hallways and tall platforms of really boring mooks and tedious spider drones.

The time-slip mechanic was great though. I'm glad so many people praised it, and it's a shame we're not getting another one.

• Options
    I gotta hit ebay to see if I can get one of those TF 2 scarves. :O

• Options
    new Inside Xbox just kicked off,

https://mixer.com/Xbox

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    I am all in on Crackdown 3 and all its stupid.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Shadow of the Tomb Raider coming to Game Pass on Thrusday, that was pretty fast lol

• Options
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    Shadow of the Tomb Raider coming to Game Pass on Thrusday, that was pretty fast lol

I'll take it. Lets me play it why I have it free!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Crippl3 wrote: »

Yeah, apparently limited exclusivity wasn't the magic bullet everyone made it out to be. :confused: Hope it did well enough given the strong reception.

• Options
    Tried Apex Legends for about two hours last night. Not sure I’m the target market. It seems like you should start with at least a basic weapon, and the character options just seemed really ...limited? and not very good looking. I mean, technical standpoint they looked great but none of them were very attractive.

Yes I want to play as someone who looks good. I’m shallow.

Also, I got to level six or so and hadn’t actually managed to kill a single other player. A lot of that was “I finally got a gun! How does it perform? I have no clue and I only have twenty bullets so I can’t actually just go randomly shooting them off!”

I think I’d be more likely to give it a more of a shot if there was a way to practice running around the environment and shooting at things.

• Options
    Hopefully that Astroneer xbox didn't land on something... D:

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    I think I’d be more likely to give it a more of a shot if there was a way to practice running around the environment and shooting at things.

This is something the other BR games have, a pre-game lobby where you can run around, pick up all the different guns, and practice or dick around for a minute while your game fills up.
    Fortnite also has a full-on creative mode where you just have a sandbox to play with whatever you want.

• Options
    edited February 2019
    Ok so I'm super confused about the metro exodus game. Spoilers for the end of Last Light.

Uhh Artyem got fucking exploded, I thought you were playing as the son, but it seems like its supposed to be the father? HOW?!

Oh apparently there were two endings to the game and I got the bad ending. Well all right then.

Edit confusion solved multiple endings

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Tried Apex Legends for about two hours last night. Not sure I’m the target market. It seems like you should start with at least a basic weapon, and the character options just seemed really ...limited? and not very good looking. I mean, technical standpoint they looked great but none of them were very attractive.

Also, I got to level six or so and hadn’t actually managed to kill a single other player. A lot of that was “I finally got a gun! How does it perform? I have no clue and I only have twenty bullets so I can’t actually just go randomly shooting them off!”

So you're saying it fails in the digital waifu/husbando category? When I could be playing my kickass long-legged busty camo-wearing commando in Fortnite with her hilarious Kpop dance routine?

*sighs, crosses another one off the list*

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I see the title Apex Legends and I kinda wish it was a sequel to the OG Xbox's Apex (which I always forget was called Racing Evoluzione outside the US) where you ran a car company, built new cars (based on blueprints you found, rather than designing them directly) and, of course, raced them. It didn't set the world on fire, but it was alright. Good concept, though.

Jazz on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    So apparently they've officially changed names from Microsoft Studios to Xbox Games Studios. Interesting timing given the news about them wanting to extend Xbox Live to mobile and Switch.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    So apparently they've officially changed names from Microsoft Studios to Xbox Games Studios. Interesting timing given the news about them wanting to extend Xbox Live to mobile and Switch.

Unifying the Xbox brand across everything, I guess.

• Options
    Probably.

Also, Forza Apex was a thing, though considering all future Forza releases will likely come to Windows 10 as well, probably no more free-to-play PC version.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Woo I actually successfully waited on shadow of the tomb raider, I've bought so so many games then not ended up playing them and then watched as they went for free on gold. Proud of myself for waiting this time

• Options
    Synthesis wrote: »

So you're saying it fails in the digital waifu/husbando category? When I could be playing my kickass long-legged busty camo-wearing commando in Fortnite with her hilarious Kpop dance routine?

*sighs, crosses another one off the list*

Finally I meet someone who really gets me.

Also, even if you can find love in the handful of characters on offer, you can easily be locked out of playing them. There's a timed countdown at the beginning of the match where all three members of your squad get to pick a character, and you do this in random order. So if you get the #3 slot, you have to hope that neither of the first two people chose your favorite.