As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Etrian Odyssey: Nexus - When your cat is an absolute unit.

• FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    It sure is an EO game. My backline gets oneshot by line piercing attacks during the tutorial since I forgot to buy them armor. Enemy skills in one of the first fights of the game dealing 60-70% of tanky frontliners health. And imperials have hilariously low TP pools early on. 30 tp with drives costing 20, at least the other skills are pretty cheap.

The innkeeper might be as good as the one from EO5, and having Napiers Firm back is very nice. No other shopkeeper can quite compare to Edies naked greed and profitseeking.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Frozenzen wrote: »
    It sure is an EO game. My backline gets oneshot by line piercing attacks during the tutorial since I forgot to buy them armor. Enemy skills in one of the first fights of the game dealing 60-70% of tanky frontliners health. And imperials have hilariously low TP pools early on. 30 tp with drives costing 20, at least the other skills are pretty cheap.

The innkeeper might be as good as the one from EO5, and having Napiers Firm back is very nice. No other shopkeeper can quite compare to Edies naked greed and profitseeking.

You... probably don't want to be using drives anyways until you have skills to support them, because taking double damage until it goes off (and they're REALLY SLOW) is kind of bad. Fortunately, Imperial does get the perfect buff for that... "Always go last, but take 40% less damage" is kind of good.

Also, Natural Edge is just better than Sharp Edge in every way (unless you're doing cooldown combos). Cheaper on TP, more damage, and takes elements (Sovereigns, oils, etc). I mainly plan to build my Imperial around the sword combos anyways, which complete negates the TP issues once you get tier 2 skills and Impulse Edge (restores TP on hit).

I finally have things rolling on skills at level 4, now that I have such shinies as Atonement and Blood Edge. Imperial/Harbinger/Survivalist/Sovereign/Gunner is a bit rough starting out, and I'm absolutely going to need to be careful until I get subclasses open. But once I hit level 20 a lot of stuff starts coming together - Gunner gets full binding capabilities, Imperial can go for infinity TP to fuel skills, Survivalist gets Multi-Shot, Sovereign can finally be a mage (Element Bomb I), and... well, my Harbinger doesn't really get much - Atonement and Endless Shroud are on tier 1, along with the most important debuffs at this point.

With regards to your first time into the first proper labyrinth...
    She stays with you until you complete her quest, which is helpful for getting some early levels. As to where not to go...
    The dog is up in C1, so just start on the east side for exploration.

Almost finished the traditional "Map the first floor" mission. Taking a break while my 3DS recharges.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I got a call from Gamestop. They went around the valley trying to get any spare copies of the game they could.

This box is big. I mean, for a 3DS title. Opening now.

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Aw man this is a 3DS game? I've already retired mine.

Every Etrian Odyssey is a DS or 3DS game.

I beat the first floor. Moved on to the next bit...

...and I got my first game over. I pretty much knew the fight wasn't winnable. Four enemies that can all jump kick people for 80% of their HP and will do nothing but, and I don't have any real AoE for dealing with that. Yet... (Imperial isn't until after 20, Harbinger is never with my build... I'm reconsidering that but I have no SP to spare for it atm, I need SO MUCH for the miasma removal build to work, Survivalist and Gunner just need more SP to get to theirs, and Sovereign isn't until 20 again).

And my buffs/debuffs aren't there yet either. (Also, wow, Stifling Miasma has bad numbers - it has to be maxed out to match the defense boost of a level 1 Guard Order).

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Alright, time for a game detail check in. Only check in on this spoiler if you did the quest available at the start regarding the fish in the lake.
    I had my Hero step in to try and hook the thing, and I listened to my Zodiac's advice about wiggling the line to no avail. Just as the party is giving up the fish bites, and it's a hell of a fight. My Zodiac, knowing her starting volt spell, stunned the fish (my Hero took 1hp damage too, RIP), and it was a freebie.

SO the question I have is, how did that turn out for everyone? Because if all the exploration events in this game are based on classes used and skills known, OMFG

Henroid wrote: »
    Alright, time for a game detail check in. Only check in on this spoiler if you did the quest available at the start regarding the fish in the lake.
    I had my Hero step in to try and hook the thing, and I listened to my Zodiac's advice about wiggling the line to no avail. Just as the party is giving up the fish bites, and it's a hell of a fight. My Zodiac, knowing her starting volt spell, stunned the fish (my Hero took 1hp damage too, RIP), and it was a freebie.

SO the question I have is, how did that turn out for everyone? Because if all the exploration events in this game are based on classes used and skills known, OMFG
    Someone threw a sword and impaled it for me.

Polaritie wrote: »

Someone threw a sword and impaled it for me.
    I knew they'd find a way to improve that aspect of the game and they freaking did. I am pleased as punch right now.

edited February 2019
    So, how do I get it to export my guild card QR code, anyways? I can't find it in the menus anywhere.

Edit: After you finish mapping the first floor, I want to know...
    What option did you take for the "water" falling event?

Polaritie on
    So, how do I get it to export my guild card QR code, anyways? I can't find it in the menus anywhere.

Edit: After you finish mapping the first floor, I want to know...
    What option did you take for the "water" falling event?
    I didin't finish mapping the first floor, but luckily I ran into this as the very first thing I did there.
    I just ate shit and didn't remove my gear. Three people dropped to 1hp and no TP, and that was a scary run back to town. Oh yeah and they discussed ways to get rid of bad scents only AFTER it faded on its own.

That was a harsh event.

• GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    So far Nexus feels as difficult as I remember the early games to be at the start.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    I beat the first floor. Moved on to the next bit...

...and I got my first game over. I pretty much knew the fight wasn't winnable. Four enemies that can all jump kick people for 80% of their HP and will do nothing but, and I don't have any real AoE for dealing with that. Yet... (Imperial isn't until after 20, Harbinger is never with my build... I'm reconsidering that but I have no SP to spare for it atm, I need SO MUCH for the miasma removal build to work, Survivalist and Gunner just need more SP to get to theirs, and Sovereign isn't until 20 again).

And my buffs/debuffs aren't there yet either. (Also, wow, Stifling Miasma has bad numbers - it has to be maxed out to match the defense boost of a level 1 Guard Order).

Pretty much all debuffs have lower numbers than buffs do.

Dammit. I think my 3DS's battery may be giving out. Charge overnight, and it died on the bus into work. Maybe twenty minutes of playtime.

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Ok Amazon, I saved $0.83 from the EON pre-order due to price matching and you're going to refund it. You don't need to e-mail me, send me a text and send me a push notification telling me about $0.83

Dammit. I think my 3DS's battery may be giving out. Charge overnight, and it died on the bus into work. Maybe twenty minutes of playtime.

I recently had to replace my battery as well. No issues from the replacement I got from Amazon.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    xu257gunns6e.png
    I forgot that the place I preordered from puts some hard candy in every package.

This party lineup I have... it works on paper in the end-game, but the start of the game is brutal as fuck.

Yeah, getting to where things come together could be rough.

I really need more SP than I have right now...

This party lineup I have... it works on paper in the end-game, but the start of the game is brutal as fuck.

I’m happy with my hero, arcanist, sovereign, and gunner. However, I feel like I could do better than a landshark in my fifth slot.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    xu257gunns6e.png
    GONG-00 wrote: »

I’m happy with my hero, arcanist, sovereign, and gunner. However, I feel like I could do better than a landshark in my fifth slot.

Linksknecht is its usual dumb self I hear, and Sovereign can reall pump up their offense. Gunner easily procs the links with Rapid Fire and later Ricochet.

Hero can tank fine, Arcanist has good disable and support, so...

I made it past the tutorial area and on to the next. I'm immediately aware of why this game is called Nexus.

I miss my overpowered EO2-Hexer.

GONG-00 wrote: »

Linksknecht is its usual dumb self I hear, and Sovereign can reall pump up their offense. Gunner easily procs the links with Rapid Fire and later Ricochet.

Hero can tank fine, Arcanist has good disable and support, so...

Yeah, I'll probably keep the landshark. Unlocking subclassing is going to be the death of me as far as choice paralysis goes.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    xu257gunns6e.png
    PLA wrote: »

Revenge hexer was so dumb.

I maintain that Atlus has forgotten some of the backstory of EOIII here (ending spoilers)
    That the original settlers were from an ark ship fleeing Earth. And oops, the new planet had the Deep Ones, and the original city was sunk to seal them.

On the other hand, EOV seems to have been written off so far, as only the cities of the first four are mentioned in the intro.

I touched up the OP with some not-important stuff, but when doing so I went looking for an image of the innkeeper. I forgot her name so I Googled "Etrian Odyssey Nexus cat" and the top not-image result was this thread. Whoops.

But seriously look at this chonker.

i9KJqwz.png

• LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular

wiggled the line to no avail, pulled hard to no avail... and then my Gunner shot and killed it.

Lucedes wrote: »

wiggled the line to no avail, pulled hard to no avail... and then my Gunner shot and killed it.
    My landshark got pulled in, but managed to kill it after throwing their weapon at Lake Jaws

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    I spent my first two hours with the game customizing and putting together my 19-person guild, and one hour beyond that to take on the opening quests. This early-game feels tougher than some of the more recent games... I've already used up my starting Nectar.

My outcome was the same as Lucedes', with my Gunner getting the snipe and kill. Interestingly, that was a priority over my Zodiac who was also in the party, and if I recall correctly, you were going with a very similar composition as I am (just with a Sovereign instead of a Pugilist)? It'll be interesting to see how many different ways the adventure log tasks get handled, since the distinctions of races and race skills as was seen in EOV isn't quite the same as in Nexus.

4463rwiq7r47.png
    Well shit. Battery isn't just dead, it's swollen, so uh... guess I'm only playing while plugged in for now until the replacement arrives.

Your 3DS battery is... swollen?

Please be careful. D:

Please be careful. D:

Yes, I'm aware that swollen lithium battery = GET RID OF IT NAO.

• Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular

Revenge hexer was so dumb.

I maintain that Atlus has forgotten some of the backstory of EOIII here (ending spoilers)
    That the original settlers were from an ark ship fleeing Earth. And oops, the new planet had the Deep Ones, and the original city was sunk to seal them.

On the other hand, EOV seems to have been written off so far, as only the cities of the first four are mentioned in the intro.

EO3:
    The Deep Ones (and the Armoroad Yggdrasil) are from Space but EO3 takes place on Earth.

Please be careful. D:

Don't just throw it out though, Lithium batteries can and will ignite if punctured(e.g. crushed in a city trash compactor). Several electronics stores(including Best Buy iirc) will take them to dispose of properly.

So I wimped out big time and did the XP DLC quest once. 10k xp, taking me from my current progress into level 9 to 13.

Annnnnd fights are still really dangerous on Heroic. This is fucking wild, I don't think EO1 even was this hard. The healing is far from a problem I face right now. My problem is damage output. Enemies are really beefy in this.

Donnicton wrote: »

Please be careful. D:

Don't just throw it out though, Lithium batteries can and will ignite if punctured(e.g. crushed in a city trash compactor). Several electronics stores(including Best Buy iirc) will take them to dispose of properly.

I know - but there's weather getting in the way of getting over there atm.

Donnicton wrote: »

Please be careful. D:

I know - but there's weather getting in the way of getting over there atm.

Well it's not a time bomb if you leave the battery to sit somewhere either, it just means stop actively using it. If you're concerned about it either way you can always just put it in a box in the yard or somewhere it can't potentially damage anything.

Made decent progress on the first 47 people.

... You mean you're making that many characters? <_<

I don't understand the question.

... You mean you're making that many characters? <_<

Memory conch, if you know what you're making later. And you can always change the name/look so may as well bank at least one of each class you're not using?