As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

join us in glorious pod-hood [jobs]

• Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    Sometimes people think they're being clever or funny.

Sometimes they're really idiots.

How big is the distribution list?

Let's see. Every corporate location and every person at HQ.

So about 200 people

• Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    If you don't need the function of a reply all

just bcc

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Moridin889 wrote: »
    Everyone is reply all responding to an email that specifically says do not reply

....why

Someone at my company this morning thought they were being cute on a chain of reply all that wouldn't die. He wrote "since this email won't die, here's a link to my daughter's girl scout cookie order form."

It was followed immediately by a irritated VP linking to an article on appropriate reply all use. I'd probably call out sick for a month if someone at that level publicly chastised me.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    If I'm doing the shoveling I will shovel exactly enough to do what I want to do. The sidewalk is the government's issue, or else I'd be painting dicks all over it.

You might want to check your local laws - sidewalks are generally the responsibility of the property owner. There are definitely places where you're liable if someone slips and injures themselves on your un-shoveled sidewalk.

Well, I am in Arizona and don't have a sidewalk, so I am not currently worried. But if I lived in Missouri and someone tripped and fell on my sidewalk because I didn't shovel it while I was on vacation I would throw a whole great many fuck yous at thw government for their stupid law. If I don't own it, it shouldn't be my responsibility.

Whether or not you own the sidewalk, and whether or not you are responsible for it regardless, is entirely dependent on the local laws of the city/town/whatever you live in typically.

The city I live in now tells you when sidewalk repairs are required, hires crews that do them, and then tacks the cost on to your property tax bill.

Shoveling/sanding/salting are absolutely the responsibility of the person who owns the property that the sidewalk is on, here.

• Options
    Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    When my analyst proofreads my documents, she always thinks I should add commas where I don't think I need any. Her husband has been a high school English teacher for decades and she thinks she's an authority. In many ways she is! Just not in the area of dependent / independent clauses.

I'm only thinking about it now because I've just spent all day drafting a 2,000+ word document and I know she's going to add a bunch of commas to it. Even that wouldn't be so bad - I'm the one who ultimately finalizes the document and I'll do it the way I want to, but after she proofreads she brings the marked-up paper copy to my office and reviews every modification with me one at a time. I don't want to tell her to forget about punctuation because she does catch other stuff that I want corrected. We also have a pretty good partnership that I prefer not to test.

This is not a plea for advice. It's me whining about having an old high school English teacher proofread my documents by proxy.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Where I live there are NO sidewalks but the city has zoned accounted for them :rotate: so they say nothing about shrubs or other things growing at the edge of people's yards

So if you are not taking the bike path to get around you are walking in the street and well I walk against traffic near the curb because it's the safest thing to do :bigfrown:

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Whenever I try to write anything long-form I abuse the shit out of commas, semicolons, and dashes. I remember seeing a joke about how programmers are way more prone to using parentheticals (which I do a lot in short-form text, like this very aside) which nailed me, and those are basically the way to cheat parentheticals into actual text.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    with regards to the sidewalks thing, regardless of whether there are sidewalks or not most homeowners own way less of their front yards than they think they do. Usually the city owns within X feet of the center of the road and that is often half of the front yard or more of a single family home.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    One time I was inside, toasty warm, in the middle of winter in Quebec. I was wearing shorts and a vest, because I was inside. On surveying my immaculately shoveled drive (I took a lot of pride in this), I noticed that a tiny bit of snow had fallen from the path onto it, and thought "I can fix this, this will take seconds" so I get my shovel and I go out and tidy it up.

While this is happening, a dude trudges by in his full winter gear. He stops, stares at me, a man in a vest and shorts who has to all appearances just finished an incredibly detailed shoveling of his entire drive in -30c conditions, shakes his head in disbelief before continuing his climb up the hill while, I swear to God, proudly singing "Oh Canada".

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Snow is forecast for Friday-next Thursday, as are wind storms.

This could prove... interesting. I asked people at work what was the biggest snowfall they remember (most people grew up here) and they said 8 inches or so, so 6 days of snow could beat that.

And windstorms in the PNW guarantees a loss of power for at least several areas, though last time we only lost power for a half hour at most.

Anyway, I’m setting things up at work so I can possibly work from home next week. We also stocked up on food!

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    When I lived in Cheyenne I would shovel the walk in my shorts and a shirt or a light coat
    Because I am an idiot

Brainleech on
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Janson wrote: »
    Snow is forecast for Friday-next Thursday, as are wind storms.

This could prove... interesting. I asked people at work what was the biggest snowfall they remember (most people grew up here) and they said 8 inches or so, so 6 days of snow could beat that.

And windstorms in the PNW guarantees a loss of power for at least several areas, though last time we only lost power for a half hour at most.

Anyway, I’m setting things up at work so I can possibly work from home next week. We also stocked up on food!

I grew up in the PNW out in the woods of kitsap and have been living in the Seattle area since. We don't often get big snows and the last real week-long one was in 2008. There was a really huge snow storm in the mid 80s around thanksgiving (can't remember which year) that went on for weeks.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    I’m selfishly hoping for a snow storm because it reminds me of home.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    When my analyst proofreads my documents, she always thinks I should add commas where I don't think I need any. Her husband has been a high school English teacher for decades and she thinks she's an authority. In many ways she is! Just not in the area of dependent / independent clauses.

I'm only thinking about it now because I've just spent all day drafting a 2,000+ word document and I know she's going to add a bunch of commas to it. Even that wouldn't be so bad - I'm the one who ultimately finalizes the document and I'll do it the way I want to, but after she proofreads she brings the marked-up paper copy to my office and reviews every modification with me one at a time. I don't want to tell her to forget about punctuation because she does catch other stuff that I want corrected. We also have a pretty good partnership that I prefer not to test.

This is not a plea for advice. It's me whining about having an old high school English teacher proofread my documents by proxy.

When I started doing transcription I was told to add baker's apostrophes to random words and to capitalize all medication names, even ones that weren't name-brands. It took me months to convince her that was incorrect.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Had a bit of rain, snow, hail, and varying mixtures of the three at work today. Not exactly normal weather for SoCal

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Also in actual work news, the cpa continues to not reply to any of my emails/questions and our payroll company is ducking useless

So more than two whole fucking weeks ago we had to close one of our payroll accounts and open a new one. I immediately email our payroll company and explain this, because hey, it’s important to be able to pay people!

I get a response that my email has been forwarded to support.

Since then? Nothing. Zilch. I have fired off four very polite emails and left voicemails

I had to pay some of our employees out of another account, which isn’t ideal. I had to calculate net pay and not actually process payroll properly, since the taxes and whatnot need to come out of the new account.

What the fuck. How do you not even take 5 minutes of your day to answer your client?!

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Check your service contract to see if they are to be held responsible on response times, because that is a pretty colossal fuckup.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    I know you're restricted because of the industry but it sure sounds like "Evaluate alternate outside vendors of financial services" is becoming a better sounding project by the minute.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Tube wrote: »

Aren't you from Australia?

Edit: On actually reading the rest of this page I'm going to assume you're actually from Canada, which would make more sense.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Tube was actually grown in a vat, genetically engineered to moderate video game webcomic forums.

Some might question whether DARPA were better off redirecting their super soldier program to other ends but it is what it is

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    On snow driving, last Friday was the first time I've driven in proper snow and ice. It wasn't that bad though because the past few years I've driven in a lot of mud and it turns out they're quite similar. I did miss having 4 wheel drive and a lockable diff, though.

Worst part is all the other people on the roads but that's just the same as driving any day.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

Edit: On actually reading the rest of this page I'm going to assume you're actually from Canada, which would make more sense.

I believe Tube grew up in the UK. I could be wrong.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Tube is from everywhere

and nowhere

Tube is you

Tube is me

Tube is an idea

and ideas, Mr. Hasselsmof, are bulletproof.

• Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Is this a trivia game now? My answer is Sweden.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Tube is from wherever is most convenient for him to be from at that precise moment.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    So I've been working at a local cable tv/internet company doing over the phone tech support for the past couple months now. I was hired with I think 10 other people, and they just seem to keep quitting around me. I think there's only me and three other new hires left by now. It's weird.

• Options
  • Options
    3clipse wrote: »

I believe Tube grew up in the UK. I could be wrong.

Nobody misses the UK

• Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    The hell? 3/6 people called in today.

• Options
    Preliminary Skype interview for a faculty position next Tuesday. No idea at all what to expect from this one, they only want 10 minutes.
    I should try and remember what I wrote in my application, I guess.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    The real Tube is the friends we made along the way.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Estimated time to reach interview: about an hour
    Estimated time to reach interview if I left now: two hours

Hello Los Angeles traffic

• Options
    Elvenshae wrote: »

I too have spent many hours in the friend-tube.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Man it is chilly this morning.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    We've had moderate to dense fog continuously for the past 36 hours or so. I've never seen this kind of weather around here.

qcpww30f7vym.png

We get it, Oklahoma. You vape.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Elvenshae wrote: »

I too have spent many hours in the friend-tube.

Oh, so you named the mystery pod?

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    We've had moderate to dense fog continuously for the past 36 hours or so. I've never seen this kind of weather around here.

qcpww30f7vym.png

We get it, Oklahoma. You vape.

That's the fog that was in the Midwest for about 36 hours, I'm guessing.

• Options
    Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular

Christopher Lambert's accent is so weird in that film. I always think of it as the "Man from Europe" accent.

Huh, and apparently the BBC classifies this instance as a "film crime against the Scottish accent", so there you go.

• Options
    Christopher Lambert's accent is so weird in that film. I always think of it as the "Man from Europe" accent.

Huh, and apparently the BBC classifies this instance as a "film crime against the Scottish accent", so there you go.

The BBC are dumb little toilet babies. That isn't an attempt at a Scottish accent, it's an attempt at a completely neutral, vaguely foreign accent that one might have if say, they had traveled extensively for hundreds of years. It was a real reach for Christopher Lambert (who barely spoke English) and he largely pulled it off. His actual Scottish accent isn't great, but I've heard worse.

• Options
    Fucken, Adrian Paul's was three times worse.

This discussion has been closed.