As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    Rehab wrote: »
    Figgy wrote: »
    After messing around some more with it at home, more oddities but probably points to the console being the issue moreso than not:
    • Charging with the adapter works somewhat. It's finicky, and sometimes it will, sometimes it won't
    • If you joycons are attached and I plug in the adapter, the system suddenly recognizes the attached joycons. I can even unplug the adapter and the joycons stay connected. If I disconnect and reconnect the left joycon, it goes back to thinking it's not attached.
    • Dock works, but finicky, similar to the adapter issue

So it looks like the USB port is partially busted. And potentially something with the left joycon rail. Both are super cheap parts, but videos show the use of high end tools I just don't have. I'm going to test the components with someone else's Switch to make sure it's what I think it is... but it looks like I'm in the market for a new console.

Any bundles on the horizon? :?

You could wait a bit to see if anything emerges about the rumored Switch remodel.

There's a fairly decent chance that the Animal Crossing game will be released in a bundle. It's pretty much what I'm waiting for.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Nintendo has been pretty good about repairing 3DS systems, you might try sending your broken Switch to them. You'll have to survive without for a while though, and definitely remove your SD and make sure you back up your saves somehow, because its not uncommon to get a wiped or different refurb system back. Get one month of NSO if you have to.

If this remodel is happening it is very likely coming this Fall (with Pokemon), so you will be in for quite a wait.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Well, I think I'm done with Hollow Knight. Just couldn't beat the White Palace, so I'll settle for getting the bad ending. Despite ending on a somewhat sour note for me, overall the game was pretty incredible. I've kinda got an itch to play some more Metroidvania games now.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    plufim wrote: »
    Dandara is 60% off at the moment.

Is it at least as good as Axiom Verge? I just recently finished that and loved it.

Very different experiences, but I’d say yes. Dandara is maybe over reliant on the basic movement mechanics to set it apart from other platformers, but it’s smart enough to call it quits before those mechanics get tiresome.

Axiom Verge was completely satisfying, but Dandara left me very excited for a sequel to Dandara with a larger scope.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I just started Dandara last night. So far I've really liked it. I haven't played Axiom Verge to compare them but so far I'd say it's less run and gun and more strategic in how you attack each area.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    I know I’m an easy mark, but so long as I can play Mario 2 and Zelda 2 I’m generally gonna be happy with Nintendo’s virtual console offerings.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    So no SNES this month then. Oh well.

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

Save that for the E3 Direct.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Shadowfire wrote: »

Save that for the E3 Direct.

“And all the SNES games you just saw are playable right now!”

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Zunde wrote: »
    Tangledeep is a really fun roguelike

It sure is! There is a lot of good stuff here. It’s a bit info-dense if you’re not used to an actual roguelike, I can tell I’m going to be sinking a TON of time into it

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Ok now those are two of the best games on the system.

Kirby in particular was one of the last, biggest, and most complex games on the NES. It has a save system that lists your percent completion like every modern game, which includes secrets found, so it can scratch a completionist itch. Nothing about it is arcane or hard to figure out (like...Mighty Bomb Jack for example, or even Metroid and Zelda). There are a bunch of quality of life features like museums where you can claim any powerup to help you through a tough level, and you can travel all around the worlds as you please. Several fun minigames, awesome music. The physics and controls are great. If someone had made it today as a "demake" like Shovel Knight or something, it'd fit right in with the quality of those modern games.

I'm really glad they're still pulling out the stops and not giving us Urban Champion.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    Super Mario Brothers 2, bay-BEEEEEE!

• Options
    If you're interested in a super deep dive on...not Mario 2...not necessarily even the game Mario 2 was built from, Doki Doki Panic...but the story of the crazy huge festival that brought us the game that brought us the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KL9o9zzCUsQ

Find out what the heck all those masks are about! It's incredibly well-researched.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    And if you are interested in the story of SMB2, Gaming Historian has an awesome vid.

https://youtu.be/2EUYSN5aFcE

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    hmm

am I playing through Kirby's Adventure again?

yeah, probably

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    I only ever got to play the gameboy kirby's, which I loved, so I'm excited about this addition.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MorranMorran Registered User regular
    Which is the better game, wargroove or bad North?

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Oh, geez, I'm hugely nostalgic for Kirby's Adventure.

Not enough to actually get Online, but I'm almost tempted.

• Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    War groove is reminding me I am very bad at these games.

Dang it.

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Nintendo has been pretty good about repairing 3DS systems, you might try sending your broken Switch to them. You'll have to survive without for a while though, and definitely remove your SD and make sure you back up your saves somehow, because its not uncommon to get a wiped or different refurb system back. Get one month of NSO if you have to.

If this remodel is happening it is very likely coming this Fall (with Pokemon), so you will be in for quite a wait.

Oh my great good god, don't do that!

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    If you're interested in a super deep dive on...not Mario 2...not necessarily even the game Mario 2 was built from, Doki Doki Panic...but the story of the crazy huge festival that brought us the game that brought us the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KL9o9zzCUsQ

Find out what the heck all those masks are about! It's incredibly well-researched.

I love that video, and that channel is unequaled in YT. The amount of research and recovered media stuff like ads and documentaries... It's definitely worth watching everything.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    Ok something's been bugging me since the Metroid Prime 4 delay announcement.

Most of the reception to that from what I've seen has been fairly positive or along the lines of "yeah we can wait." Meanwhile I saw nothing but derision for the exact same announcement from Square Enix about the Final Fantasy 7 Remake. Why does MP4 get a pass while FF7R gets locked? Is it just that Square Enix and Nomura in particular has a history lately of taking forever in putting a game our?

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    darunia106 wrote: »

Most of the reception to that from what I've seen has been fairly positive or along the lines of "yeah we can wait." Meanwhile I saw nothing but derision for the exact same announcement from Square Enix about the Final Fantasy 7 Remake. Why does MP4 get a pass while FF7R gets locked? Is it just that Square Enix and Nomura in particular has a history lately of taking forever in putting a game our?

That, and arguably the quality of the games eventually released by Square after years and years of delays.

Doing this one or two times speaks to quality control, doing it across multiple projects for a decade just looks like chaos and troubled management.

OneAngryPossum on
  • Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I'm so torn on Dragon marked for death, it sounds right up my alley but got panned so hard in reviews, but then reading the reviews I'm like "that doesn't sound so bad" and the 2 champ pack is only 19$ cad...argh

Okay, so.

I was pretty strong on the game, and pretty forgiving. ...for a bit.

But I've put like... 3 hours in? And I don't think I'm gonna put in much more. There's definitely potential here, but I don't see it being realized.

Level-ups and new weapons are just bigger stats, not any sort of new abilities or playstyles. Which sucks, because at least for single-player, enemy health is super high, and everything is a giant damage sponge. Higher stats help, but then you move on to higher-level enemies and you *still* take forever to kill them, and so on, and so on.

It looks very pretty.

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular

I think part of it is Square's history of game delays. I think the other part is ... I probably shouldn't say.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular

Square hasn't earned the benefit of the doubt for quite a long time. They have a history of extremely long dev cycles with numerous delays. While I loved FFXV, the wait for it was beyond ridiculous with the shift form Verses FFXIII to FFXV being a particularly crazy shift and delay cycle. This isn't to mention their lack of communication over the whole thing.

On the other hand, Nintendo has always had the philosophy of delaying a game to up the quality, but their delays are usually pretty minor. Delays like this one, and the fact that they were up front about it, sucks, but at least we know for a certainty it's because Nintendo wants to please the fans with the best quality game possible.

This is at least my take on why Square got a bit blasted and Nintendo hasn't with this particular instance.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular

Length of time is also a factor. Metroid was announced June 2017, so that's a year and a half between that and announcing there's been issues and they're restructuring.

Meanwhile the 7 remake announcement will be this June 4 years ago. And the only news I can find with S-E admitting anything is them saying "We may have started development too soon" in June 2018, which was 3 years after the announcement.

And finally, first XV, then KH3, and now this. When somebody keeps fucking up in the same exact way, your level of acceptance goes down each time. This problem rarely happens to Nintendo, so when they admit to it, it comes off as refreshing honesty. When S-E does it, about the only response people can have is "Oh fuck, again?! Really?!".

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    When's the last time Nintendo delayed a game for a significant amount of time? Breath of the Wild? And how did that turn out?

Yeah I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt. If MP4 ends up being garbage then I'll start worrying about those delays from Nintendo.

• Options
    edited February 2019
    I think it also has something to do with what people already know and expect from that specific game. FF7 is a remake, sort of, though they've already said it's going to be pretty different in order to work for modern audiences and be more actiony. I think that's been a little divisive as-is, and then you see how many other decisions they make that end up being controversial...pretty much since FF13 came out 10 years ago. (God they had 10 mainline entries in 14 years and then 3 mainline entries in 10 years...) But we also know what FF7 is and have seen a trailer, which gives people a sense of how "done" the game might be (probably incorrectly due to the nature of vertical slices) and whether they can't wait to get their hands on it.

We don't know anything about Prime 4 other than a logo, so there's less to be upset about. We didn't see an amazing trailer, or hear news that they were taking the series in a different direction, or anything like that. It's much easier to be patient for something you know nothing about, I think. You can say Nintendo also makes plenty of controversial decisions in the Metroid series, but on the flipside of that, giving the series back to Retro is something that gives people more confidence, not less. I think people would rather see Samus developed according to western sensibilities and perspective at this point.

Also it was announced 4 years ago, while Prime 4 was only 2 years ago. Something to be said for the length of the wait.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Also, bringing in Retro, something fans have been wanting since forever, helped a lot.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    When's the last time Nintendo delayed a game for a significant amount of time? Breath of the Wild? And how did that turn out?

Yeah I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt. If MP4 ends up being garbage then I'll start worrying about those delays from Nintendo.

I was ever so slightly salty at that news, especially the last delay. Because I wasn't going to get a Switch at launch, I already had the Wii U version preordered, and it sort of felt that they were holding that version back so they could release both at the same time.

It was the right call to make. And after playing the game, obviously worth it. But at the time all I could do was a Charlie Brown "Aaaargh!" at the news. :)

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    I remember people got really upset about the wait for Twilight Princess and I chalk a lot of it up to the amazing-at-the-time trailer and reaction to it. Too much info about it for too long, people got to hype it up in their heads.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Also, Square delaying stuff is not that great when the game is still with the same people, because Square is a developer.
    Nintendo took the game away from a dev and gave it to another company entirely.
    The meaning and consequences of each situation are vastly different.

And Nomura sucks at developing games, too.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    I remember people got really upset about the wait for Twilight Princess and I chalk a lot of it up to the amazing-at-the-time trailer and reaction to it. Too much info about it for too long, people got to hype it up in their heads.

More went into it than that just normal game hype.

Wind Waker's art style was divisive and the sailing was a big change from traveling in OoT. People that wanted a more traditional feeling Zelda game were chomping at the bit for landlubber game. People that wanted a more traditional aesthetic wanted TP after feeling let down by Wind Waker. My friend who played OoT as a teenage girl and considered Link her first bishounen crush wanted TP to lust over a pretty Link.

People that didn't feel totally fulfilled by a previous main game release in a franchise can get a lot more impatient for the next that returns things closer to their preferences.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    My friend who played OoT as a teenage girl and considered Link her first bishounen crush wanted TP to lust over a pretty Link.

And now remember the proto-meme "Sephiroth is my bishie." :P

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited February 2019

Oh my great good god, don't do that!

Disagree. Better to have an SD card that can be reformatted than not to have an SD card.

We are in the slightly less dark ages these days anyway. Everything purchased on the Switch eshop can be easily redownloaded, and save files reside completely on internal memory anyway so you need a system transfer or NSO to back those up, nothing to do with the SD card.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    Also, bringing in Retro, something fans have been wanting since forever, helped a lot.

I think this more than anything is what helped shape perception. But just overall, Nintendo released a video directly to fans. The video was somber, and the Nintendo President appeared to show contrition for disappointing fans. And he announced concrete changes they were making to right the ship.

• Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    I picked up Reverie under the moonlight it's another o
    Zunde wrote: »
    Tangledeep is a really fun roguelike

It sure is! There is a lot of good stuff here. It’s a bit info-dense if you’re not used to an actual roguelike, I can tell I’m going to be sinking a TON of time into it

I want to play it but for some reason it keeps crashing and when it crashs it deletes my character =/