As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

podcast thread

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Gohan isn't interested in being the best fighter
    No but he loves being a hero and protecting people

Goku is less a hero and more a dude who fights the bad guys because they happen to be the strongest

I would have liked Gohan to get a proper run as Protector of Earth rather than immediately getting taken out after his big power up

CYpGAPn.png
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    He went through a hero phase (something that's trivially easy for him to do) but as soon as he got the excuse to stop training, he took it. He doesn't enjoy it. He's temperamentally unsuited to it. Trunks is a much better candidate.

• darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    Character wise it makes complete sense that Gohan would side line fighting and training and let his dad do most of it so he could focus on his studies.

Storywise it's extremely unsatisfying and disappointing to watch Gohan get a big power up and do fuck all with it

pHWHd2G.jpg
    He went through a hero phase (something that's trivially easy for him to do) but as soon as he got the excuse to stop training, he took it. He doesn't enjoy it. He's temperamentally unsuited to it. Trunks is a much better candidate.
    If you're talking Future Trunks then sure I would love that too

Obnoxious Kid Trunks? No thank you.

And even after he abandoned his training (to raise his dang kid, which is a pretty good excuse) he was still Saiyamaning around because he loves helping people

I don't need him to be Goku 2.0, I like the idea of a Dragon Ball protaganist who finds his strength in helping others and being a guardians versus just wanting to be the strongest and fight the best.

CYpGAPn.png
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Knowing that Toriyama was essentially mandated by his editor/publisher/fans into constantly extending DBZ and continually placing Goku and Vegeta in the spotlight is not a surprise

You can feel how badly he wants to give Gohan the torch from kind of the very beginning, with how he fights Raditz and Frieza and gets his power unlocked by Guru and Goku's big plan against Cell

He wants so badly to have that moment and every single time he doesn't get it

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
    The thing is that in DBZ if you're not the strongest and fight the best the world gets exploded.

The one time Gohan saved the world it wasn't because he was a good dad it was because he was strongest and best at fights

Goku neglecting his son to train is 100% the right call

It honestly felt like he did with the climax of the cell games.

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    i think people have acknowledged your point and said theyd prefer if it was not that way

youre "right" but that doesnt make it fun for those people

Chincymcchilla on
    I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
    The thing is that in DBZ if you're not the strongest and fight the best the world gets exploded.

The one time Gohan saved the world it wasn't because he was a good dad it was because he was strongest and best at fights

Goku neglecting his son to train is 100% the right call
    Yes I am saying I would have liked it if DBZ took a different direction as Toriyama was intending originally

Don't get me wrong, I love Super and the resurgence the franchise has undergone

But I will always mourn that we don't get the lighter, more heroic Gohan led incarnation Toriyama was working towards

CYpGAPn.png
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I honestly feel like it's ended up better this way for what Dragon Ball is

It would be a different show, which could be neat, but for what it is, it's more interesting to me that the most powerful and most noble one of them doesn't get involved just cause...it's not what's important to him anymore, that's his dad's shit, maaaaaan

Beerus is the same thing from the opposite end, since his uninvolvement is just out of apathy

6F32U1X.png
    I agree it is interesting but the fact that it is explored by either just removing Gohan from the story or having him get dunked on consistently bums me out

I love his character and want him to still be a major part of the cast, which he really isn't at this point.

CYpGAPn.png
  • WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Goten had a bigger part in Dragon Ball Super: Broly than Gohan did (because Gohan straight up was not in it)

You can almost feel Toriyama give up

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Broly is your Gohan, now!!!

dN0T6ur.png
    I don't mind this!

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    darunia106 wrote: »
    I don't mind this!

I don't mind either

I just hope they, uh, get a different voice actor for the dub

IKknkhU.gif
    Vic Mignogna?

Do you not like his voice or is he a bad person? I'd better google him to make sure and ah fuck.

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Are there issues with Vic Mignogna?

• YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh

edited February 2019
    That's putting it lightly.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2019-01-30/far-from-perfect-fans-recount-unwanted-affection-from-voice-actor-vic-mignogna/.142212

First three paragraphs are behind the spoiler and only explain what he did in the broad sense. More detailed stories are in the article.
    Every year, hundreds of thousands of anime fans flock to conventions, whether it's their mid-sized local con or planning a trek to Anime Expo. The reasons are just as varied as the attendees: some will spend early morning hours assembling racks and decoration for their artist alley booth, some will perfect their make-up and glue for the cosplay masquerade, and others will hop from fan panel to fan panel to learn about dubs lost to time or obscure appearances of hamburgers in anime.

For many, conventions are a weekend of fandom and freedom. Parents can drop off a small group of friends, assured that they'll get their coveted autographs and UFO catcher plushies. It's a place to laugh loudly, be unabashedly nerdy, and interact with the creators and actors in what's assumed as a safe environment. Adults and kids alike are there to check off their "must-sees" but while everyone is running off to the next panel or cosplay meet-up, who is making sure the star-struck, awkward teens are engaging with guests appropriately and vice versa? Where is the line for appropriate guest and attendee behavior and what should be done when it's crossed?

These questions came to the forefront of social media these last weeks as rumors about convention guests and staff interactions with minors stopped being whispered and instead were shouted. A Twitter thread posted on January 16 accused dub voice actor Vic Mignogna of homophobia, rude behavior, and most concerning, making unwanted physical advances on female con-goers. The thread quickly spread with over 4,000 retweets at the time of this writing and over 400 comments, many relaying their own negative experiences, including unwanted and unsolicited physical affection from the Fullmetal Alchemist voice actor. As with any claims involving a person with a moderate fan following, Mignogna's supporters were quick to attempt to discredit individuals' claims or at the very least dispute the voice actor's intentions behind kissing or hugging attendees unannounced.

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
    I guess it’s subs for FMA:B from here on out then!

He is basically impossible to avoid if you dont want to watch anything with his voice

He has been in everything

CYpGAPn.png
    edited February 2019
    Manga only for me from now on.

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Lmao at Jeff on the bombcast talking about 55 degrees being cold.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    He is basically impossible to avoid if you dont want to watch anything with his voice

He has been in everything

At least he doesn't get royalties for VO work

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »

I saw a guy walking around in shorts because it was a toasty 27 degrees (f) up here.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Bay area Californians whine about perfectly fine weather all the time.

• turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »

I saw a guy walking around in shorts because it was a toasty 27 degrees (f) up here.

I've been that guy.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i have to standoffishly point out that temperature is indeed relative to where you live and many regions that are used to certain temperatures are not built to handle new extremes for that area

for reference: see omnipotentbagel coming to visit me a week ago, seeing "oh it's much warmer up there", packing appropriately, and then proceeding to complain that it's cold every time we went out at night :P

liEt3nH.png
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    YaYa wrote: »

Finally, Modelland is real

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    oh my god

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    One of the only reasons to live in colder climates is to lord it over people who live in warmer climates that they don't know from cold.

Maddoc wrote: »
    One of the only reasons to live in colder climates is to lord it over people who live in warmer climates that they don't know from cold.

Also fuck 100+ degree summers

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    i have to standoffishly point out that temperature is indeed relative to where you live and many regions that are used to certain temperatures are not built to handle new extremes for that area

for reference: see omnipotentbagel coming to visit me a week ago, seeing "oh it's much warmer up there", packing appropriately, and then proceeding to complain that it's cold every time we went out at night :P

I didn't account for the damper clime

cdci44qazyo3.gif

In the summer here the humidity is nuts.

94f with humidity around 100% is hell on earth.

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    and I didn't complain, I just quietly shivered and then you taunted me for being cold

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Bay area Californians whine about perfectly fine weather all the time.

yeah I love the bay area climate it's the best in the WORLD

BahamutZERO.gif
    I worked with a guy who wouldn't change from shorts to trousers until the temperature hit 0c. Not even like as a toxic masculinity thing. He just didn't see the point.

• PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Shorts and a hoody looks dumb as hell, but is kinda my preferred 40s-50s wear

My legs run hot

This discussion has been closed.