As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[BATTLETECH/MechWarrior] Thread Bombed From Orbit [Closed]

• RizZenRizZen Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I think it could be possible to mod MP mode for MechCommander in that manner.

Actually the maximum was 3vs3 players. Each player could use 1 up to 12 mechs.

When i would modify the MP part i could probably introduce a MP mode allowing ~100 players to join a map - but i think i would have redruce max number of usable mechs to 1 per player (cause no map can hold 1200 mechs in MC). The only problem i see would be the "synchronisation" part and if it is possible to establish such a mode without massive lag.

A bigger problem is that there is only a rare activity for MC-multiplayer. I really don't know if there are more than 10 players worldwide using it's MP feature - and i released 64 MP maps for my Mod...

RizZen on
  • monkeykinsmonkeykins Registered User regular
    Glal wrote: »
    I like the idea of weight influencing how slowly/quickly points are capped. So it's not always just lights running around the outside points like chickens while everyone else brawls on the middle point.

So long as "get 12 kills" is a straight path to victory, people are going to do that. And skirmish should totally stay!
    But I love games of Conquest (the resource gathering one?) and Domination that end with people on both teams alive. Assault, too, but that almost never happens.

• NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    Oh good a battle royal game

I would 100% play a mech battle royale game

It's called a Grand Melee.

Freebirth

• SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    I spent like 20 minutes in FW queue last night before giving up and going back to QP. Probably for the better, my drop decks are a mess.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Kaboodles_The_AssassinKaboodles_The_Assassin Kill the meat. Save the metal.Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Rifleman IIC

riflemaniic-hero-concept.png

Looks good. Max 235 engine for most variants, though.

Kaboodles_The_Assassin on
    sXXjb1B.png
  • chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    Not for me, but damn, Alex and co. have been doing great on the art here lately. Like, better than their usual high standards, IMHO.

steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Rifleman IIC

Fuuuuuuuuuu....uck that is one saucy bitch. Just the right mix of Unseen, Reseen, and modernization. Unf.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    65 tons 48kph woof

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Rifleman IIC

Oh man... Yeah I can't stop wanting this mech now. Nips nailed it, just a perfect balance in design of the new look.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Kaboodles_The_AssassinKaboodles_The_Assassin Kill the meat. Save the metal.Registered User regular
    65 tons 48kph woof

Two of the variants can get up to 78.5 kph with a 315 engine. The rest can go 58.5 kph with a 235 engine.

sXXjb1B.png
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    60 for a 65 tonner is so slowwwww, though

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    They all come with smaller standard (a couple with XL) engines too, going to be expensive to outfit.

Think I'd stick with my Ebon Jag for that tonnage.

• FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    The only thing I dislike about the RFL-IIC is that it's going to be so easy to gut. With that huge cockpit housing the CT is going to meeeeelt.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Hello magic trashcan.

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Well, hello there ...
    nl9e1ka7ro90.png

Elvenshae on
    Some days you get knocked out early.

But some days, some days you do bad bad things.
    wbwa6d2kzz8b.png

• hairystevehairysteve Registered User regular
    Rifleman 11c - perfect for urbie piggy backs???

• ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Hrm...

Is this going to be the lightest mech to load up twin-LB20Xes? I dunno...but I'm kinda liking the look of this thing:

https://mech.nav-alpha.com/#89776c3c_RFL-IIC-CH

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    It always feels like there are no mediocre games on my assault- either we barrel through and I wreck face (or even if I die I feel I contributed) or our team scatters to the winds and I get eaten alive by lights/their entire team.

Also, what year does the tech get rear view cameras? It feels like it'd be a game changer.

Glal wrote: »
    It always feels like there are no mediocre games on my assault- either we barrel through and I wreck face (or even if I die I feel I contributed) or our team scatters to the winds and I get eaten alive by lights/their entire team.

Also, what year does the tech get rear view cameras? It feels like it'd be a game changer.

Actually on tabletop they always had rear view. Some of those lasers we have shooting forwards are even rear facing on the original models. Also it's a key feature of the jager&rifleman that they can flip their arms and shoot backwards.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    Hrm...

Is this going to be the lightest mech to load up twin-LB20Xes? I dunno...but I'm kinda liking the look of this thing:

Hunchbacks can carry twin LB20s

sXXjb1B.png
  • a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Battletech:

Had a pretty rough 5-skull "destroy base" mission last night.

Lance 1: Atlas, Highlander, 2 Quickdraws. I headshot the Atlas with my PPC sniper + SRMs, which is great, expect it forces me to commit to finishing the mission. (Also need a good Atlas build now)
    Lance 2: King Crab, Banshee, 2 forgettable heavies. Crab is way less scary once you snip a torso, but until then...
    Lance 3: King Crab, 2 Highlanders, 1 Quickdraw

Contract was just 4/18 salvage, so I ended up with the Atlas and 1 KC piece for my picks and bad rolls for the rest meant I just got 1 Highlander part and crap weapons out of the rest of the salvage.

Only lost an arm on one of my mechs, though, thanks to Bulwark+Vigilance and baiting the AI to abandon the turret cover to charge up a hill at me.

a5ehren on
    Early analysis of the Rifleman IIC makes it sound like a Dire Whale on a Rifleman chassis. Lots of tonnage for guns and low speed with a questionable hitbox.

Release day on these things should be fun, they’re going to get left behind hard on the nascar but they’re going to do a lot of damage before dying.

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    You pretty much can't go wrong with an Atlas. I've found 2x AC20 works beautifully for headshots or just generally wrecking whatever it is you're aiming at. The downside is you don't have much room for anything else if you go that route. Still, I've fitted 3 of my 4 Atlases with 2x AC20, 1x MLas++ (+damage), 1x LRM10++ (+damage) and had good success with it unless I'm getting shot in the back or have major time constraints due to mission design. The downside is heat buildup is a pain in the ass on Lunar, Martian, and Desert planets. Range also sucks, so you need to get in close combat to be effective (major downside against missions with bases that have LRM turrets or sniper turrets).

If you've got your hands on some LosTech, double heatsinks can mitigate most of those concerns--but then you're risking having them get blown up when you mis-judge how long you have before you need to pull your Atlas out of the fire.

• a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    You pretty much can't go wrong with an Atlas. I've found 2x AC20 works beautifully for headshots or just generally wrecking whatever it is you're aiming at. The downside is you don't have much room for anything else if you go that route. Still, I've fitted 3 of my 4 Atlases with 2x AC20, 1x MLas++ (+damage), 1x LRM10++ (+damage) and had good success with it unless I'm getting shot in the back or have major time constraints due to mission design. The downside is heat buildup is a pain in the ass on Lunar, Martian, and Desert planets. Range also sucks, so you need to get in close combat to be effective (major downside against missions with bases that have LRM turrets or sniper turrets).

If you've got your hands on some LosTech, double heatsinks can mitigate most of those concerns--but then you're risking having them get blown up when you mis-judge how long you have before you need to pull your Atlas out of the fire.

Yeah I'm leaning AC/20 since it will be replacing an Orion that carries one in my lineup.

I managed to get my hands on a second Gauss Cannon and two more Gauss Cannon ammo bins (thank you Flashpoint exploit!), and that also does good work, and at a long enough distance you don't have to be as worried about your precious equipment getting blown off.

• ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Hrm...

Ahh, I always forget about the Hunchie IIC. It kinda looks like the Rifleman IIC is an upscaled version of the Hunchie (more ammo, an extra backup laser, more heatsinks...also, arm mounted weapons). Also, I kinda dig the layout for most of the variants...although, less than thrilled for the ones where all the weapon mounts are in the arms.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
    The Atlas II you get at the conclusion of the campaign also has enough spare tonnage you can really kit your mech out (e.g. I've got an LRM20 and 2x MLas + more heatsinks in mine, plus the 2x AC20s).

• FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    I love when you go into a mission and see a mech you decide you have to score all 3 pieces of and formulate an elaborate attack strategy to do that without also losing one of yours, and then you get a headshot after your first volley. almost feel bad for them.

Are you the magic man?
    Frei wrote: »
    I love when you go into a mission and see a mech you decide you have to score all 3 pieces of and formulate an elaborate attack strategy to do that without also losing one of yours, and then you get a headshot after your first volley. almost feel bad for them.

With enough single-shot headshot weapons it becomes almost routine!

The downside is when you miss enough that you end up accidentally coring the mech despite doing nothing but taking headshots at it.

Feels bad man.

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Hrm...

Ahh, I always forget about the Hunchie IIC. It kinda looks like the Rifleman IIC is an upscaled version of the Hunchie (more ammo, an extra backup laser, more heatsinks...also, arm mounted weapons). Also, I kinda dig the layout for most of the variants...although, less than thrilled for the ones where all the weapon mounts are in the arms.

On the other hand, high slung arm-centric loadouts allow for amazing peaking games. The Rifleman IIC is gonna be even better at hill humping than the Rifleman or Jager by the looks of it and if I was still willing to throw money at MWO I'd be 100% all over that thing.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • htmhtm Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    You pretty much can't go wrong with an Atlas.

By usable tonnage, isn't it Atlas II > King Crab > Atlas I?

I remember I had some reason for marginally preferring the King Crab to the Atlas I.

Also, the Cyclops Q is OP.

In battletech the king crab has better hardpoints than the Atlas. They have better locations (arm mounted ballistics for aiming bones with you heaviest weapons and can use two big ones, as well as more missile hardpoints for maximum SRM spam if you want that).
    But it's still a case where if you have to pick between an Atlas and any other mech that isn't a 100tonner or a Starleague highlander you should probably pick the Atlas.

• nonoffensivenonoffensive Registered User regular
    I like the Banshee 3M? and was rocking a 7ML, 6SL, Melee Arm Mod death machine towards the end of the campaign. I liked using melee a lot and the extra move speed was pretty nice.

I don't know if it was necessarily better than the Atlas or King Crab, but definitely went toe-to-toe with them on more than one occasion.

So the Rifleman IIC has the potential to be REALLY silly. Check this out for a Solaris build: https://mech.nav-alpha.com/#46a11db3_RFL-IIC-3

steam_sig.png
  • Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Man, MWO has just been a shitshow since this weekend for me. Loss after loss, game after game of making a positional error and paying an immediate price, usually because of ATM's. Feels like the population has contracted and I'm getting matched with players far better than me, but I don't think that's it.

I also have a feeling the Flea is gonna be next on the nerfbat list. I think the all the Piranha players are switching over to it. Seeing more and more of them in games.

Dark_Side on
    chasm wrote: »
    So the Rifleman IIC has the potential to be REALLY silly. Check this out for a Solaris build: https://mech.nav-alpha.com/#46a11db3_RFL-IIC-3

The more I play around with it in nav alpha the more I like the 2 variant. I can run a heavier Glass Spider with it, just with jump jets, a TC1, and a LAMS. The stock build isn't that bad either once you upgrade to a larger XL engine.

Yeah, I'm partial to this build...baby Ultraviolet: https://mech.nav-alpha.com/#b2a12327_RFL-IIC-2

steam_sig.png
    edited February 2019
    In battletech the king crab has better hardpoints than the Atlas. They have better locations (arm mounted ballistics for aiming bones with you heaviest weapons and can use two big ones, as well as more missile hardpoints for maximum SRM spam if you want that).
    But it's still a case where if you have to pick between an Atlas and any other mech that isn't a 100tonner or a Starleague highlander you should probably pick the Atlas.

Both the King Crab and the Atlas 7D have the same useful tonnage, so it's just down to hardpoint placement and the fact that the King Crab can mount 2 more missiles and 2 more support weapons.

For firepower, the King Crab is better. The Atlas can better protect its weapons if you care about that (I find the arms are moderately exposed).

They're both the best damned (edit: readily attainable) mechs in the game.

Orca on
    After thinking about it some more, I think the RFL-IIC will mostly shine in coordinated play, with the -2 and -A being the go to for people who want to play it in QP.

I mean, you can mirror the loadout on several assaults with some of these variants, and having that level of firepower available to a team that can help screen and use them as an anchor is just going to be silly.

The problem will be trying to skill them up in QP, where you're going to find your ass getting chewed off by the 20 ton backstabber de jour while the rest of your team ran off to chase the tail of the other group.