As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Total War]: 3 Kingdoms is out! Rats and Lizardman fight it out in WH2.

• IblisIblis Registered User regular
    Deck Droppers with Handguns are pretty legit, I especially like to pit them against Lizardmen if the AI hasn't stacked their armies with a ton of skirmishers. Especially in sieges it basically allows you to delete their monsters while the AI is too busy using their skirmishers to try and fight your trash on the walls.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Not including Deck Gunners in an endgame stack has got to be a mistake. Those guys are SO good, especially when they get buffed by a Gunnery Wight.

In my current Noctilus campaign I'm using 4 of them as my main ranged component. I invaded Lothern and found regular gunnery mob disappointing against High Elves (everything is either shielded, outranges them, or both). Deck Gunners just delete units.

There's a skill in the red line that boosts melee defense and physical resistance for Rotting Promethians, Leviathans, etc. Can anyone confirm that skill doesn't help Promethians with Guns? I assume it doesn't since it doesn't mention them specifically but I figured I'd ask. I was intending to use a line of Promethians as the front of my army and have gunners shoot through them, so the defense boosts would be helpful. But the crabs with guns are basically better in every other way.

Terrendos on
  • FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Deck gunners just never do anything for me. Well, nothing that a full array of Carronades don't do better. The only thing I think deckgunners would do better than my cannons is kill flyers, but gunnery wights and deathshrieks are much better at that.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    I can confirm that the skill tree makes a distinction between regular rotting prometgeans and the gunnery crabs. The melee only variant gets the physical resistance

• FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I'm 99% certain that the promethian buffs in the red tree apply to the melee and gunners-on-back versions. Someone said around launch in here that they didn't, but I went in and checked the before/after stats and the gunner version definitely got the buffs.

Sounds like I need to check again when I get home for that 1% though.

Fiatil on
    I was able to confirm that my Rotting Promethian Gunnery Mob do get the bonus resistance from the red tree. It still doesn't seem to do all that much to help their survivability in the front line, however.

Oh well, all I need them to do is slow down the enemy while my Deck Gunners do the real work. Might swap out to Leviathans (or just intermix 1-2 in) later.

My crabs are nearly unkillable in the frontline. Just intercept any polearm users and they'll fight of most things.
    Unless you want to kill everything using only Luthor Harkon. That's also an option.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    I admit I didn't really use deck droppers at all, their damage and low unit count just didn't seem like it would be enough.

But then with Dreadfleet you start with a Necrofex and Noctilus gets another for free as a mount. Once I saw how much damage a Necrofex shooting into the sides of infantry did I just felt like I didn't need any ranged infantry at all.

Although I did take the mini-LL pirate with the range buff for all units in her army and give her an almost all ranged units army along with all of the ranged buffs and it absolutely shredded. I thought I'd have issues with so many low leadership/weak melee infantry but they tended to rip everything apart enough that there wasn't much of a melee at all.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • EnclaveofGnomesEnclaveofGnomes Registered User regular
    They're currently live streaming three kingdoms. Been going for 80 minutes as of this post so probably going to end soon. But I assume it'll be available to watch in total afterwards:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PI51Mcg74Q

• SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Vampirates roster is just good enough that you don't even need Deck Droppers.

In my doomstack I ended up with 4 Necrofex, 3 Promethean Gunnery Mobs, 4 Handgunners, 2 Deck Gunners, and a bunch of artillery. You just shoot to death everything before it even gets close, screw flanking or anything else.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
    On the phone, so I'm not imbedding a link ATM. But CA just released a Dong Zhuo trailer. You can play him after you complete a play through where you defeat him or become emperor.

• KarozKaroz Registered User regular
  • EnclaveofGnomesEnclaveofGnomes Registered User regular
    Kruite wrote: »
    On the phone, so I'm not imbedding a link ATM. But CA just released a Dong Zhuo trailer. You can play him after you complete a play through where you defeat him or become emperor.

Excellent. Was really hoping we'd be able to play as him.

Was going to rely on mods if not.

• The BraysterThe Brayster UKRegistered User regular
    Okay, I will be the first to admit that I was, in fact, very wrong about this.

What a pleasant surprise though!

Steam: TheBrayster
    PSN: TheBrayster_92
    https://www.totalwar.com/blog/total-war-three-kingdoms-warlord-legends-dong-zhuo
    Initial Dilemma

In each playable warlord’s campaign, they will face a unique dilemma after fulfilling certain prerequisite actions. These dilemmas will position the player at a fork in the road, marking a pivotal moment in that warlord’s story. One of the options available to you is a choice reflecting what happened in history, and the outcomes will follow the events of the period. The other lets you forge a tale of what might have been. Total War is all about giving players the freedom to create their own stories in some of the most exciting periods in human history, and these initial dilemmas epitomise that spirit.

Dong Zhuo’s dilemma primarily concerns his relationship with – or alienation from – Lü Bu.

However, it’s up to you to decide how best to handle the situation and keep the famous warrior in line. Depending on your choices, it may very well turn out that you meet an early demise and end up being succeeded by the culprit himself…

Unlike the other warlords, this outcome is dictated by not one but a chain of dilemmas and events, each of which depends on the selected game mode.

In Romance Mode, Dong Zhuo’s dilemma chain focuses around Diaochan, the beautiful serving girl who turned Dong Zhu and Lü Bu against each other with their jealousy (which eventually led to Dong Zhuo’s death).

As Dong Zhuo, you can influence these events by giving up on Diaochan in order to gain Lü Bu’s approval – or confirming his affection by marrying her, thus leading to a more difficult outcome.

In Classic Mode, this dilemma chain is based around personal differences between Dong Zhuo and Lü Bu, as well as the political scheming of Wang Yun.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
    That initial dilemma very much feels like a choice that is basically "Do you want to keep playing as Dong Zhuo, or are you actually here to play as Lu Bu?"

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    Urge to pursue Lu Bu... Rising...

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
    Man I just love the gloating, overbearing Dong Zhuo, Lu Bu is just some mad dog I've seen too many times.

I'm sure I'll play both, but I have a huge "bad guy" boner--given like no one is really all that good in this setting other than the historians decided to depict them.

https://www.totalwar.com/blog/total-war-three-kingdoms-development-update
    It’s been an incredibly busy and exciting time for us in the studio. We’ve been able to show you more of Three Kingdoms than ever before and taking the time to evaluate it thoroughly.

There are some revolutionary features going in and it’s looking really good. But we want to make sure it’s great. So we’re moving the release date to 23 May, 2019.

With Three Kingdoms, we set out to create a new level of complexity. As such, we need a little more time to make sure these systems deliver as intended and give you the Total War experience you’ve waited so patiently for.

Of course, the extra time won’t hurt when it comes to fixing those bugs that have been hard to nail down, getting the localisation just right, and adding additional polish to help it shine. We all know those little details make a big difference.

We’re lucky to be in a position to do the right thing for our games, and in this case it means taking the time to get everything ready for you. It’s more important to give you a game that you can enjoy to the fullest, rather than stick to a release date just because.

We know not everyone’s going to be happy about this, but ultimately, we believe this the best thing for the game and our players.

Thanks,

Rob

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • MassenaMassena Registered User regular
    I'm super jazzed about this release. So on the one hand, comeoncomeoncomeoncomeon. But on the other hand, with two different game modes and what looks like a vastly enlarged strategic layer.... hey y'all, take all the time you need.

I'm not going to pretend that I'm not a bit disappointed by the delay

but

I'm glad they're actually going to take the time to give the game any tune ups/polish it needs. The wait will just make it all the more sweet when it finally releases.

• KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    This really looks like the next shogun 2 with having a relatively much smaller scope but being very polished.

I'm not really excited about Warhammer 3 because I already played Warhammer 3 with Warhammer 1 and 2. 3K I feel is going to be an amazing blueprint that future games will be based on unlike Rome 2 which was used as a basis for everything that came after but I felt just lessened my experience with it and the games that came after.

I'm actually quite positive. Being financially constrained right now, yet being super hyped for TW:TK, this takes some decision anxiety off my back.

Hrmm... on the one hand, this wouldn't have been the first TW game to release needing a few more months in the oven. A delay like this might avoid a bunch of launch day issues and bad reviews. On the other hand, perhaps that just means 3K is even worse off than (for example) Rome 2 was at launch and it needs the extra time to get UP to "barely playable."

I don't see myself buying this one at launch anyway (got enough other games in the backlog) so it's not a big deal for me. I hope it's good, for CAs sake.

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    A bit of a bummer, but there's already a bunch of games coming out that i don't have time for, moving it out to may does make my scheduling easier.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Lord_MordjaLord_Mordja Registered User regular
    You people left out
    Will this affect/delay the upcoming WARHAMMER II DLC?
    No, this will not have an effect on or delay the upcoming WARHAMMER II DLC, but this does mean that the WARHAMMER II DLC will now arrive before the release of THREE KINGDOMS.
    Sooooo, Lizards+Rats early April?

• Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    My first two thoughts are “great I will have time to play gathering storm” followed by “ooh I wonder it they will move lizzies and ratmen lords up to compensate?

• That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    I have mixed feelings about the delay but ultimately believe it's for the best. Total Warhammers 1 and 2 set a really high bar for launch day polish. CA can't go back to releasing games in Rome 2 state. Ultimately taking the extra couple of months to push a real shine on the game is going to make for a better launch day experience. In an industry where some companies think that it's perfectly fine to release a fundamentally broken game and patch it up later (EA, Ubi, and most notably Bethesda) it's nice to see a AAA Developer who will buck the trend and actually finish their game before release.

Terrendos wrote: »
    Hrmm... on the one hand, this wouldn't have been the first TW game to release needing a few more months in the oven. A delay like this might avoid a bunch of launch day issues and bad reviews. On the other hand, perhaps that just means 3K is even worse off than (for example) Rome 2 was at launch and it needs the extra time to get UP to "barely playable."

I don't see myself buying this one at launch anyway (got enough other games in the backlog) so it's not a big deal for me. I hope it's good, for CAs sake.

I'm not too worried about that in this case. Several Youtubers have had access to the game (albeit an older build) and they're currently doing a weekly stream, none of which has shown any issue that raises any red flags for me, and I'm not sure why the state of the game should be so radically different as to be 'Launch Day Rome 2' unstable compared to what we're seeing now.

Terrendos wrote: »

I'm not too worried about that in this case. Several Youtubers have had access to the game (albeit an older build) and they're currently doing a weekly stream, none of which has shown any issue that raises any red flags for me, and I'm not sure why the state of the game should be so radically different as to be 'Launch Day Rome 2' unstable compared to what we're seeing now.

Well... it's one thing to be reasonably stable on specific developer hardware, it's another thing when it's every combination and permutation of PC hardware that meets their anticipated minimum specs. Rome 2 ran perfectly fine for me day 1 and I only experienced 1 or 2 of the major bugs, none of which were gamebreaking. It still has the lousy reputation.

I'm cautiously optimistic, but it's also not something I'm losing sleep over anyway.

• Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    This suuuuucks I played Total Warhammer 1 on my husband's steam account cuz I was having problems with mine when it came out, and that means I have to repurchase the wood elves and stuff if I wanna play them in Total Warhammer 2, at least as far as I can tell.

I don't wanna pay twenty bucks for elves again!

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Depending on how patient you are, the TWWH1 DLC has had pretty frequent and deep sales lately.

• That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    This suuuuucks I played Total Warhammer 1 on my husband's steam account cuz I was having problems with mine when it came out, and that means I have to repurchase the wood elves and stuff if I wanna play them in Total Warhammer 2, at least as far as I can tell.

I don't wanna pay twenty bucks for elves again!

All the DLC from the previous game carries forward AFAIK.

• Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Not if the original is on someone else's account unfortunately, even with game sharing or family sharing or whatever. I honestly wish me and my husband could just merge our steam accounts sometimes? We don't have two computers so it's not like we're ever on at the same time and we'd have like... So many games in our collection omg

Edit: I bet there'll be a a sale soon anyway, I'll just wait. Honestly I think I've got my hands full modding already. Some hundred, hundred and ten or so already...

Metzger Meister on
    Rome II's biggest problems involved siege battles; some of the pathing issues persist to today.

Yeah, nothing more frustrating then having my siege forces decide that taking the ladder is faster than going through the main gate I just opened.

God help me trying to navigate in cities.

edited February 2019
    I found that sometimes using the shift click to micromanage the path would work, but it was really hit or miss. Huh. GOT A BOYFRI- KILL MEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Anyway, shift-clicking for movement is a thing I literally didn't know about as a mechanic until... Ooooohhh... A year ago? And I've been playing since the first Shogun! Boy was my face red. Totally changed my cavalry game.

Edit: wait when did Rome 2 come out... Oh God...

Metzger Meister on
    It took me 300 hours to finally get a hang of the controls to feel comfortable and I still find myself needing to pause so I don't make stupid mistakes.

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    I watched Milk and Cookies TW Warhammer. I really don't have any interest in the setting beyond being curious as to the source of 40k, but the sheer insanity of the battles and scope of TW, and some good commentary, made for some really fun replay watching.

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    A lot of people were saying when the first one came out ‘this is what Total War was made for’ and they’re not wrong. The Historical settings are great but when you throw in huge monsters that bowl through units, flying units that flit around the edges of conflict, different magic effects, etc the game is just completely over the top and works so well.

-Loki- on
This discussion has been closed.