As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Infinity] Holy shit it took us seven years to get to 100 pages, but we did it!

• Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    I watched a battle report with that went surprisingly quickly (though the did edit out most of the actual measuring), and they were throwing terms like "martial arts" around like the cashier at Five Guys yells "two patties!". I imagine something approaching the level of complexity of Final Fantasy Tactics with all these different skill sets.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I watched a battle report with that went surprisingly quickly (though the did edit out most of the actual measuring), and they were throwing terms like "martial arts" around like the cashier at Five Guys yells "two patties!". I imagine something approaching the level of complexity of Final Fantasy Tactics with all these different skill sets.

Yeah, it's why most of the introductionary leagues are pretty strict about how complex a model you can bring in. Though nothing is individually super hard. Like Martial arts is short hand for Stealth, Courage and a modifier table for close combat based on the level.

EDIT: Except hacking, hacking is hard.

Albino Bunny on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Hacking ain't too bad it's just got redundant options

The game is insanely complex in gameplay and tactics but in terms of actual rules it's relatively simple for the core and the other rules work off that

• Options
    Relatively simple says the man who doesn't have to explain using combat hackers to force HI into a choice between dodging and getting hacked or resetting and getting shot.

• Options
    You just explained it! See, easy ;)

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    I learnt the Infinity tabletop game 90% by reading the wiki and playing games. I don't think I ever actually looked at the rule book, just the fluff book.

• Options
    oh this reminds me I'd love to play some infinity via tabletop simulator with some folks sometime

• Options
    LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    Relatively simple says the man who doesn't have to explain using combat hackers to force HI into a choice between dodging and getting hacked or resetting and getting shot.

What's the rule interaction here, you move into LoS and then they have to declare their ARO before they know what you're going to do? Why not just shoot, wouldn't shooting be a Face to Face roll vs. either hacking or shooting?

The idea that you have to declare your ARO after the first short kill of the active player's order, and the hard decisions it forces, is pretty common actually because of camo units. Anyone who's walking around as an active camo token will just step in front of you or even just wait on his first order, and force you to choose to attempt a Discover or something interactive. If they don't choose Discover you can just keep on walking past them, if they do go for the Discover then shoot them in the face unopposed, etc.

• Options
    Lanlaorn wrote: »

What's the rule interaction here, you move into LoS and then they have to declare their ARO before they know what you're going to do? Why not just shoot, wouldn't shooting be a Face to Face roll vs. either hacking or shooting?

The idea that you have to declare your ARO after the first short kill of the active player's order, and the hard decisions it forces, is pretty common actually because of camo units. Anyone who's walking around as an active camo token will just step in front of you or even just wait on his first order, and force you to choose to attempt a Discover or something interactive. If they don't choose Discover you can just keep on walking past them, if they do go for the Discover then shoot them in the face unopposed, etc.

It does work more or less like the stealth interaction. It's just a weird, ad-hoc version that comes up in very niche situations.

The situation would be the hacker entering the HI's zone of control without being in the HI's line of fire. Whether through smoke (because MSV2 hackers do exist) or just somehow managing to be behind the HI without possessing stealth (which would prevent the ZoC mattering).

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Those are both itches I want to scratch, though I did assume the RPG would require minis for the more detailed combat scenes. It should arrive tomorrow so I’ll get to see. I’m still tempted to pick up Operation COLDFRONT, but I’ve got a lot of 40k in the painting queue still. Decisions, decisions...

Everything is mapped into vague zones (which are about the size of a large room but conform to geography/social links/network boundaries as needed). So most of my RPG action scenes wind up looking like this:

7bk30hxx5lbv.jpg

Mapping zones to movement is actually one of the weirder bits. If you try to do it so that each room is a zone you'll quickly wind up with absurdly short range guns. So it's important to kinda group stuff and remember it's perfectly fine for players to be moving within a zone narratively (and you can still make that zone 'bigger' just by spending heat on stuff that makes their movement not a difficulty zero action).

I want those TTS things <3

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    90% of the game is move and shoot orders.

It's just that last 10% gets real fucking messy.

And the reason why having all the rules in an easily accessible wiki is such a genius move.

• Options
    Elldren wrote: »
    Those are both itches I want to scratch, though I did assume the RPG would require minis for the more detailed combat scenes. It should arrive tomorrow so I’ll get to see. I’m still tempted to pick up Operation COLDFRONT, but I’ve got a lot of 40k in the painting queue still. Decisions, decisions...

Everything is mapped into vague zones (which are about the size of a large room but conform to geography/social links/network boundaries as needed). So most of my RPG action scenes wind up looking like this:

7bk30hxx5lbv.jpg

Mapping zones to movement is actually one of the weirder bits. If you try to do it so that each room is a zone you'll quickly wind up with absurdly short range guns. So it's important to kinda group stuff and remember it's perfectly fine for players to be moving within a zone narratively (and you can still make that zone 'bigger' just by spending heat on stuff that makes their movement not a difficulty zero action).

I want those TTS things <3

If you search the workshop for like, infinity RPG or something similar it's pretty easy to find.

It's a really nice table with custom dice and linked momentum/heat trackers. The rest of it is just my shoddy drawing plus default assets of TTS.

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    I really need to play some actual games of Infinity. I've had a full list for Normads for like a year and I've never played.

Plus I also have that box that comes with the Celty biker that I need to expand on once I'm employed again.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Haven’t played since HSN3, and I’m having a game with my friend this week. He’s using one of those newfangled merc lists, so I had a look at Haqq and I see Ramah is finally fucking out?

Woo yeah time to try them. Nahab and Namurr look awesome.

• Options
    Having used them: yes they absolutely are! The Nahab is a hero for me, absolutely kicks all the arse. The killer hacker profile especially.

Mukhtar though. Those guys are awesome.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Anything special about the Mukhtar? They’ve been teased for so long and when I finally saw the profile nothing really seemed special.

I’m baffled about Saladin. Which sectorial gets him now that Ramah doesn’t? Wasn’t CBs plan that every unit would belong to a sectorial?

-Loki- on
  • Options
    MOV 6-2 with BS 13, mimetism and NWI. And Shock Immunity!

The Red Fury has MSV2 as well. They're straight up fast, tough gunfighters that Haqq has never really had. Constantly MVPs for me.

• Options
    I’ll make sure I give them a trial.

• Options
    -Loki- wrote: »
    I’ll make sure I give them a trial.

I guarantee they'll work out for you. Red Fury is perhaps the best solo profile to try.

• Options
    It's fun reading this thread after playing the RPG a bunch and mentally ticking off how 90% of cool weapons are legally war crimes in the games setting.

• Options
    It's fun reading this thread after playing the RPG a bunch and mentally ticking off how 90% of cool weapons are legally war crimes in the games setting.

I do love that the wiki for the tabletop game has the line about them being banned on like 90% weapon pages

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Anzekay wrote: »

I do love that the wiki for the tabletop game has the line about them being banned on like 90% weapon pages

That line is in the core rulebook as well. It's very good.

• Options
    CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    "It's only a war crime if you get caught, gringo" -Nomads

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Which can be problematic if there are War Corps on the table? Or something? I forget where I heard about that, time to go digging through the wiki.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I don't think there's any mechanical effect of the illegal weapons. Warcors have a Journalist special skill but that only does positive things in a campaign.

• Options
    Man, Hakim. WIP 15, Doctor+, Regeneration, better Medkit, unhackable AD and can drop with a Nasmat?

Did CB just ask Haqq players 'design your ultimate doctor'?

• Options
    Carnarvon wrote: »
    "It's only a war crime if you get caught, gringo" -Nomads

Considering the Nomads pioneered and continue to be the best at the deniable cold war aggression shit it's actually more "It's only a warcrime if someone's willing or able to prosecute you".

There's a great paragraph in their splat book I'll need to drag up which is all about how Nomads refuse to play fair ever in a war because they don't have the manpower to be nice about it.

• Options
    Haqqislam are pretty awesome these days

• Options
    Haqqs always been awesome, just pretty samey after a while.

The Ramah super soldiers really stand out against the lower tech Hassassins and QK.

• Options
    Catching up on rules and stuff, and boy howdy did links get stupid since I’ve been gone?

I can make a Ghulam link without an actual Ghulam in Ramah?

• Options
    Playing in my first tournament tomorrow! It's 200 points so the games will be a bit smaller scale, which is nice, but makes list building difficult because I've only done 300 points stuff before!

Currently narrowing it down between these 3 lists:
    Japanese Secessionist Army
    ──────────────────────────────────────────────────

8 / 1 / 1
    RYŪKEN (CH: Limited Camouflage) Heavy Rocket Launcher, Antipersonnel Mines / Heavy Pistol, Knife. (1.5 | 23)
    YOJIMBO Contender, Nanopulser, Smoke Grenades, CrazyKoalas (2) / Pistol, DA CCW. (0 | 21)
    SHINOBU Combi Rifle, Nanopulser, Smoke Grenades / Pistol, Monofilament CCW. (0.5 | 47)
    OYAMA Lieutenant Chain Rifle, E/M Grenades / Breaker Pistol, AP CCW, EXP CCW. (0 | 28)
    KEMPEI (Multispectral Visor L2) Shock Marksman Rifle / Pistol, CCW, Electric Pulse. (1 | 25)
    KEISOTSU HMG / Pistol, Knife. (1 | 17)
    KEISOTSU (Forward Observer) Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 10)
    KEISOTSU Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 9)
    TOKUSETSU EISEI Doctor (MediKit) Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 14)
    YÁOZĂO Electric Pulse. (0 | 3)
    YÁOZĂO Electric Pulse. (0 | 3)

4 SWC | 200 Points

Open in Infinity Army

A more generalist list. It's kinda like one of my normal 300 point lists but cut down a bunch. Shinobu and Yojimbo both provide a lot of smoke and aggression, with Shinobu doing her usual high-risk-high-reward targeted assassinations, while Yojimbo races his way up a flank to cut up any isolated units. A 5 person link for the amazing efficiency, serving to deliver a solid weapon package of HMG + MSV Marksman rifle along with Oyama's ridiculous CC capbilities. Doctor to press buttons with double servant backup. The HRL Ryuken is a bonkers area denial ARO model, these guys have never let me down.

8 / 1 / 4
    KUROSHI RIDER Lieutenant Combi Rifle + Light Flamethrower / Breaker Pistol, AP + Shock CCW. (0 | 33)
    ARAGOTO Hacker (Assault Hacking Device) Combi Rifle + Light Shotgun / Pistol, Knife. (0.5 | 28)
    ARAGOTO Boarding Shotgun / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 19)
    YOJIMBO Contender, Nanopulser, Smoke Grenades, CrazyKoalas (2) / Pistol, DA CCW. (0 | 21)
    KEMPEI (Multispectral Visor L2) Shock Marksman Rifle / Pistol, CCW, Electric Pulse. (1 | 25)
    KEMPEI (Chain of Command) Boarding Shotgun / Pistol, CCW, Electric Pulse. (0 | 21)
    KEISOTSU HMG / Pistol, Knife. (1 | 17)
    KEISOTSU Paramedic (MediKit) Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 11)
    YURIKO ODA Combi Rifle, Panzerfaust, D-Charges, Antipersonnel Mines / Pistol, CCW. (0 | 24)

2.5 SWC | 199 Points

Open in Infinity Army

A bikes list! I only have the 4 bikers, otherwise I'd field even more of them. Bikes to be hyper aggressive, 5 person link to serve as area denial while they move up to hit objectives with 3 potential operatives in the link.

OYAMA Lieutenant Chain Rifle, E/M Grenades / Breaker Pistol, AP CCW, EXP CCW. (0 | 28)
    DAIYŌKAI Red Fury, Panzerfaust / Pistol, DA CC Weapon, AP CC Weapon. (1 | 49)
    NINJA Hacker (Killer Hacking Device) Tactical Bow / Pistol, DA CCW, Knife. (0 | 29)
    KEMPEI (Chain of Command) Boarding Shotgun / Pistol, CCW, Electric Pulse. (0 | 21)
    KEISOTSU Missile Launcher / Pistol, Knife. (1.5 | 14)
    KEISOTSU Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 9)
    KEISOTSU Paramedic (MediKit) Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 11)
    TOKUSETSU EISEI Doctor (MediKit) Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 14)

3.5 SWC | 200 Points

Open in Infinity Army

This one is all about the Daiyokai + Oyama duo. Just pour orders into them and have them run around killing as many things in CC as possible. The Red Fury is amazing mid-range firepower as well. KHD ninja for the usual HI backup role, and the 5 person link for, again, order efficiency and area control.

• Options
    Those look pretty good, I like the first one the most probably? Depending on missions mind. What missions are in the tourny?

• Options
    Solar wrote: »
    Those look pretty good, I like the first one the most probably? Depending on missions mind. What missions are in the tourny?

Firefight, Tic-Tac-Toe, Quandrant Control and Looting and Sabotage

I get to take 2 lists, too!

• Options
    A friend and I had our first game in... a long time. I think over 2 years? Anyway, it was a lot of fun. I chickened out of Ramah and ran old trusty vanilla Haqqislam. He ran one of the new Mercenary lists, I honestly don't know which one. Just played 150pts kill everything to get back into the mechanics, and realized we still remembered a good deal of the game. Anyway, here's some screenshots because the board we got to use was super pretty. My MVP was absolutely the Khawarij Spitfire. That thing just kills shit dead.
    1009903_sm-.jpeg
    1009904_sm-.jpeg
    1009909_sm-.jpeg
    1009908_sm-.jpeg
    1009907_sm-.jpeg
    1009906_sm-.jpeg

• Options
    Well that was fun! I came 9th out of 14 total players, the prize support was really big so I still got some stuff (a Classified deck, which is awesome since I don't have one, and some more templates because I am constantly throwing smoke out)

My first round game I got swept really, really hard. Shinobu failing her infiltrate roll set me back a great deal, and my Core Link got ruined early by some template weapon shenanigans, and I rolled really really terribly for BS rolls the entire game.

Second round was better, but I was still really nervous and anxious and lost my head with Quadrant control and missed some points I should've been able to get by moving too many troops up and forgot to keep someone in one of my two board side quadrants. Woops! The final turn out of the game just came down to who can roll better with HMGs and I lost that RNG battle, alas.

Round 3 was tic-tac-toe and actually went extremely well until a hidden Swiss Guard ruined my day and took out my Lieutenant, rendering me unable to capitalise on my otherwise strong first turn (Heavy Rocket Launcher into an enemy link team turn 1, killed 3 of them with the opening volley, then shot up the remaining Black Friar with my HMG), so I only ended up with a minor victory.

Round 4 everything went according to plan. Shinobu succeeded on hidden deployment, and I had first turn. She dumped smoke on a Kazak link and sliced up 3 of them (including the veteran) in 4 orders total, then went back into TO. Sadly she got taken out by a stray crit the next turn, but she soaked up several orders to do so and ruined the link team for more points than she's worth.

After that I just moved up the board with my link team (Yojimbo didn't get to do much, got shot up the moment he came into view after failing his smoke roll for the 9th time that day...) and killed all but 3 of his remaining models, in addition to blowing up the objective with Neko's amazing CC potential.

Was a fun day, lots of nice folks, lots of lessons learned!

• Options
    Going to another tournament in about 6 weeks! Hopefully this time I can take some more refined lists and maybe get some practice on the missions with some friends beforehand.

This time it's Highly Classified, Quadrant Control, Frostbyte and Unmasking! Probably not going to take a bikes list this time, I think I'll opt for a goodstuff list with plenty of specalists and shinobu, and a list based around a Tanko + Domaru fireteam

• Options
    Bikes can be pretty good for unmasking so you can hunt down the HVT

• Options
    Finally rebuilt my Nomads that I stripped the paint off of. Totally forgot that all my infantry models are on 25mm bases.

Next step is to find my list or try to build a new list and then put together the models from the JSA sectorial army pack and try to find the page where I asked about recommendations to expand the JSA stuff.

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• Options
    Solar wrote: »
    Bikes can be pretty good for unmasking so you can hunt down the HVT

yeah I was thinking I'd use my list with shinobu and a Ryuken 9 with Forward Deployment for the Unmasking. Just hidden deployment shinobu near one or two of the HVTs and have her pop out to either kill a target or wipe some juicy enemy troops

and then the Ryuken 9 FD can easily get in position for another one thanks to the extra deployment

• Options
    Where can I buy some cool Infinity themed bases? I've only seen secret weapon miniatures bases.