As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Overwatch] Workshop now included.

• ChanceChance Registered User regular
    Calibrated at 2130 SR. I have no idea if that's good. Gold, though! I am not the worst!

I did play DPS pretty poorly at one point. And I actually had one match where someone coached everyone through playing GOATS comp, which was pretty cool. He didn't even get upset when I messed everything up!

Gold is good ^.^ grats!

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    It makes me wonder if Blizzard uses a hidden "social MMR" system like Dota 2 does for Overwatch. I have never noticed the toxicity everyone else talks about in comms. If someone says something and they're just being a dick, I mute them and move on with my life. I don't have time for teenagers who want to scream at me.

Steam: Spawnbroker
    The lower the SR, the chiller it becomes from what I've heard. Once you're in diamond/masters, egos become a problem.

• PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    I agree that Mystery Heroes may be one of the best game modes invented. It's not always "fair" but it's great to be forced to play Widow and nobody is mad because they know you didn't choose it. I don't ever pick widow or hanzo or ashe because i don't like playing sniper no sniping in OW but when i do it's fun to see if i can get all those cool head shots. I just need to figure out how to fly up in the air like all them "pro" widows i play with in competitive or QP.

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    People should stop getting mad when I pick Widow regardless of MH or not

It’s a game, stop taking it so damn seriously

You’re not the next Profit, unless the Widow is throwing for real just get over yourself

Even PS4 gold/plat Widows can be monstrous. Y'never know what you've got!

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Maybe there’s a more optimal pick than Widowmaker

Maybe I’m not everybody’s dad and they can play the game how they want to

• McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular

But what if you ARE their dad?!

steam_sig.png
    People can play how they want. I play to have fun and i enjoy it more when it's a good match (close) and/or I win. Losing can be fun if the game itself is fun. Since it's a team game, when i play with Widows they "often": never switch if they are being destroyed by the enemy team, don't help push the cart ever, don't help capture, even if it's a close over time i can count on one hand how often i've seen a widow touch the cart/point to cap or stop it. I'm not saying those people can't have fun but at some point, because it's a team game, their fun and my fun might be at cross purposes.

McMoogle wrote: »

But what if you ARE their dad?!

Up next on Maury

• BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    In my opinion, you should play whatever as long as you aren't in competitive. If you are, you should be playing to win. That doesn't mean following the meta, but it does mean playing something you're actually good at. I like playing Doomfist, but I'm usually pretty bad with him, so I'm not going to pull him out if I happen to be playing comp.

I mean, just remove Widow from the game if we’re going to make adequate skill a precondition for using a hero

You don’t get better with heroes if you never get to play them because working on them is “at cross purposes with another person’s fun”

Right, but you can practice in quickplay.

Nah I get shit in there too

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    the biggest single thing about playing support is knowing when healing has value. healing on a low-health reaper near tanks is absurdly effective: healing on a high-ish health hog away from the fight not so much. triage baby

obF2Wuw.png

Those are bad people. If they want a serious game, comp is right there.

You and I agree on that, but it’s not going to make it so that I can pick Widow in QP unless I feel like dealing with those bad people

edited February 2019
    I think some people would be surprised at what happens when you actually work with a Widow instead of constantly antagonize them and order them to switch off

One game I had a Mercy notice I was actually getting picks and she would damage boost me unless I was getting dived, and she would heal me until she became the focus and then she’d fly over to someone else. Ended that match with gold damage and elims. I wasn’t always able to click on heads, but a fully charged Mercy-boosted Widow can take people out even if all they get are body shots.

joshofalltrades on
    edited February 2019

A serious game of agita.

Even in QP, as long as you arent the last one picking and theres no tanks/heals, then yeah pick whatever. But if you end up filling then at least pick something useful relative to your team. So many times ive seen the last person pick genji/widow/hanzo/tracer when we already have 3-4dps.

I'm not saying you have to pick rein or mercy, but come on there's like 13 characters you could at least attempt with. You cant tell me you're bored with all of them.

Edit: also not you, you, but the general you. The you that's in us all.

McMoogle on
    steam_sig.png
    I think some people would be surprised at what happens when you actually work with a Widow instead of constantly antagonize them and order them to switch off

One game I had a Mercy notice I was actually getting picks and she would damage boost me unless I was getting dived, and she would heal me until she became the focus and then she’d fly over to someone else. Ended that match with gold damage and elims. I wasn’t always able to click on heads, but a fully charged Mercy-boosted Widow can take people out even if all they get are body shots.

2 Widow anecdotes:

I'm Tracer on Dorado attack. This is over a year ago, now, but we had this Widow who was almost never in the killfeed, and if she was it was never a crit hit. I'm on Tracer, and I don't really notice what she's been doing until we're on the second leg, and I'm fighting half a team in the street in front of the church. WHAM, she lands a body shot on the Mercy in front of me - bzzt I finish her off easily. I lay into the McCree next - put a decent midrange clip into him, but he'll need another and WHAM the Widow finishes him. This carries on for the rest of the map - every now and then she'll say "group up with me," and remind me that I'm duelling guys outside her line of sight, and I'll lead them back towards her as we fight to get bodied by her. It was super-effective.

She wasn't a Carry Widow, but she got consistent, solid work done - and we won.

Second one - I'm playin' Mercy on Anubis defense, and our Widow is doing work. She's on top of the big arch at A and gets 2 picks, so I sail up there and put the blue beam on her, and she keeps gettin' shit done. I always like Widows when I'm on Mercy, to be honest, because like a Pharah it means I almost-always have a high ground escape option. Anyway - Widow's gettin' shit done and I'm flitting among the team keeping everyone up, and boosting her when possible. We lose A, but hold down B. She's on the arch at B for most of that point, and I would GA from the point up to the arch, hooking up the blue beam or yellow as I went, sail out past the arch, loop around and and zip sail back to my tanks on the point as soon as I fell beneath the opening of the arch.

Literally did this for the rest of the match. At the end, the Widow gets on voice.

"Thank you for the pocket, Mercy." I turn on my mic.

"Oh you don't have to thank me, you earned it. Don't think I didn't see that - you were doin' work. Everyone? We had a Carry Widow."

"I... dude. Thank you so much for saying that."

"Thank you for kickin' ass."

• SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    I find myself to be much more effective when I attempt to work within the frame that my teammates want to work in. If I try to force a one trick player out of whatever they're playing, they're just gonna get mad at me. Might as well help them out. Who knows, maybe we'll win!

Heck, the only reason I play tanks is because nobody else will at my ranks. If I have 2 or 3 people instalock tanks, I'm gonna go work on my McCree or Soldier because that's what I like doing most in a vaccuum.

Steam: Spawnbroker
    Chance wrote: »

2 Widow anecdotes:

I'm Tracer on Dorado attack. This is over a year ago, now, but we had this Widow who was almost never in the killfeed, and if she was it was never a crit hit. I'm on Tracer, and I don't really notice what she's been doing until we're on the second leg, and I'm fighting half a team in the street in front of the church. WHAM, she lands a body shot on the Mercy in front of me - bzzt I finish her off easily. I lay into the McCree next - put a decent midrange clip into him, but he'll need another and WHAM the Widow finishes him. This carries on for the rest of the map - every now and then she'll say "group up with me," and remind me that I'm duelling guys outside her line of sight, and I'll lead them back towards her as we fight to get bodied by her. It was super-effective.

She wasn't a Carry Widow, but she got consistent, solid work done - and we won.

Second one - I'm playin' Mercy on Anubis defense, and our Widow is doing work. She's on top of the big arch at A and gets 2 picks, so I sail up there and put the blue beam on her, and she keeps gettin' shit done. I always like Widows when I'm on Mercy, to be honest, because like a Pharah it means I almost-always have a high ground escape option. Anyway - Widow's gettin' shit done and I'm flitting among the team keeping everyone up, and boosting her when possible. We lose A, but hold down B. She's on the arch at B for most of that point, and I would GA from the point up to the arch, hooking up the blue beam or yellow as I went, sail out past the arch, loop around and and zip sail back to my tanks on the point as soon as I fell beneath the opening of the arch.

Literally did this for the rest of the match. At the end, the Widow gets on voice.

"Thank you for the pocket, Mercy." I turn on my mic.

"Oh you don't have to thank me, you earned it. Don't think I didn't see that - you were doin' work. Everyone? We had a Carry Widow."

"I... dude. Thank you so much for saying that."

"Thank you for kickin' ass."

Yep Widow mains react to any amount of praise like they are in an abusive relationship and it's the first time in as long as they can remember that somebody told them they're worthwhile

• sanstodosanstodo Registered User regular
    Baidol wrote: »
    One thing I would add to learning Rein is don't ever charge in a fight. The times a charge saves a fight will be far outnumbered by the times a charge gets your entire team killed. Once you can think beyond "This is the target I want to pin" and get to "This is my pin target, the distance I travel is sufficiently short and covered by sufficient terrain for my healers to keep me up, and my destination is a location I can easily return to covering my team", you can start charging.

That last bit is crucial. Short charges with a defined, high probability target and safe landing point are fine but should be called out so your team can cover you. Long charges straight into the enemy are a horrible idea and lose team fights.

As for the support advice, zen is quite difficult to play well but super rewarding because you can do good damage and healing while having one of the best ults in the game. Plus, if you do enough damage, your ult charges fast.

I’ve probably carried more games as zen than any other hero. Canceling out a nano blade or grav is super valuable. Even putting a discord orb on the opposing main tank can create space so your tanks can win the war (rein, Winston, hog, and Dva are great discord targets).

Plus, a fully charged alt fire can instagib squishies, winning a fight immediately (particularly at lower SRs where teams are too dumb to back off and engage 5v6 anyway).

If you’re interested in becoming a support main, learning zen, Lucio, and Ana will always leave you with a viable choice that can quietly swing matches your way every game.

I think Ana's quietness is one of her greatest assets. Silent, invisible unscoped shots.

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    7-3 on CTF, 2573SR, so I'm glad, just used McCree and Junkrat and played defense/protector of the person taking the flag.

5 of those wins were just winning due to time restraints (1-0, 2-0, etc.), feels like they weighted it differently than flat out wins

• Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    as long as you arent the last one picking and theres no tanks/heals, then yeah pick whatever.

I'm strongly opposed to this system of hero picking. To be fair, it seems to be how a lot of folks operate, but I feel like it generates unnecessary conflict. This is my system; it has served me well.

The moment you load into the game, regardless of who picked what, pick whatever... or more specifically, pick your strongest hero. I pick Mei usually... Once everyone has picked a hero, you should have least 10 to 15 more seconds before you actually spawn, and then if you are on attack 30 more seconds bumming around in spawn. You can see what everyone would *prefer* to play. Only now do you attempt to negotiate a functional composition. You could be good to go already, if you are really lucky. Probably not though. If there's no healers, switch to your strongest healer. If there's no tank, switch to your strongest tank. If there's only one tank and one healer, consider switching to an off-something to help. Try to make sure at least one dps is actual dps. As Mei this is a huge concern for me, because Mei is not actually DPS. If it's just Meis and Sombras and Syms you are never going to actually kill anything. You need at least one Pharah or Junkrat or Reaper or something.

"I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
    Man, my method is so simple.

as long as you arent the last one picking and theres no tanks/heals, then yeah pick whatever.

I'm strongly opposed to this system of hero picking. To be fair, it seems to be how a lot of folks operate, but I feel like it generates unnecessary conflict. This is my system; it has served me well.

The moment you load into the game, regardless of who picked what, pick whatever... or more specifically, pick your strongest hero. I pick Mei usually... Once everyone has picked a hero, you should have least 10 to 15 more seconds before you actually spawn, and then if you are on attack 30 more seconds bumming around in spawn. You can see what everyone would *prefer* to play. Only now do you attempt to negotiate a functional composition. You could be good to go already, if you are really lucky. Probably not though. If there's no healers, switch to your strongest healer. If there's no tank, switch to your strongest tank. If there's only one tank and one healer, consider switching to an off-something to help. Try to make sure at least one dps is actual dps. As Mei this is a huge concern for me, because Mei is not actually DPS. If it's just Meis and Sombras and Syms you are never going to actually kill anything. You need at least one Pharah or Junkrat or Reaper or something.

Mine is really more pointed those people who don't pick until the last possible second. I still say that's on you. Everyone else has already had time to look at the team makeup and choose accordingly.

steam_sig.png
    Yeah i don't like the game of chicken. I loaded in first, picked Junkrat first, no one is playing a tank or healer...whatevs i'll junk this town tonight. We have one tank and one healer or one tank and two healers, i'll think about switching because again i like "winning" even in QP and i have fun playing a few different characters.

Last night in a hilarious QP I had some fun as torb. We had a mercy heal team with a dva tank and i decided to goof off with torb. I was having an unusually good game. Headshotting their pharah, doomfist, and soldier right out of the gate. I was running large with gold kills, damage, cart pushing, everything. We stalled out on Gibraltar a few times but every time i ulted we were able to move the cart forward. Finally after the second point we just couldn't push that last corner so i switched to a lucio and just chased down their widow ana and ashe. The Dva on my team was working hard and the mercy was definitely healing like crazy. I kept watching other people on the team switch dps characters every couple of minutes.

I know I can use hyperbole sometimes with how i get irked by certain players but i do think there are a fair amount of people that play the game that just aren't aware of many of the mechanics of the game.

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Some general advice for Starting to Git Gud at Overwatch

There's a lot of heroes, and most heroes tend to have a ton of depth to their kit, with lots of not immediately obvious techniques and tricks and interactions which the playerbase only figures out over time. Definitely spend some time playing around on random heroes to learn their basic kits, but starting out I'd probably try to limit yourself to a small stable of heroes that you find personally fun to play, and then you can focus on both mastering those heroes, as well as mastering Overwatch's larger game concepts - a lot of which are also not immediately intuitive to a new player.

Just at the most basic level - two teams of six compete against the clock and each other to fulfill an objective, whether that's capturing a point or pushing a cart a certain distance. That "against the clock" part is crucial - getting kills is incidental to achieving objectives, and that has a lot of non-intuitive gameplay implications to talk about down the road. There's a lot of ways to build a team, but for most of the playerbase the standard is the "2/2/2" comp. Two tanks, two DPS, and two supports. This tends to give teams the optimal balance of damage, survivability, and utility. Other comps can work, but you should have a specific reason in mind for doing so.

Within each of those hero roles, the playerbase also divides them up further -

Tanks are split up between Main Tanks and Off Tanks.
    Main Tanks are usually the guys who can control space with their barriers - Reinhardt, Orisa, Winston. Main tanks have very high survivability and are usually going to be the ones at the very front of their team, leading the fight and not letting the enemy just move wherever they want.
    Off Tanks include Zarya, Roadhog, and D.Va. Off tanks are more flexible, they can't stay exposed to enemy fire for as long as main tanks but they're better duelists, and better at helping out teammates who are getting attacked ("peeling"). The off tank usually plays up front near the main tank.
    Ideally your team will have one main tank, and one off tank. I didn't mention Hammond in the list of tanks, he's a little bit of an oddball, and can be played as either a main or off tank, although early on you're probably best off considering him an off-tank.

DPS can be divided into a few different roles based on their weapons or mobility.
    Hitscan are heroes whose weapons will instantly register as a hit or miss. This is generally your bullet-shooters, such as Soldier 76, McCree, Widow, Ashe, etc. Because their shots register instantly, they're usually better at confirming kills on low health targets, but it really varies depending on the particular hero.
    Projectile heroes have weapons with travel time. This includes Pharah, Junkrat, Mei, Hanzo, Torbjorn, etc. Projectiles require you to aim where you expect the enemy will be when your projectile arrives, so they're typically harder to hit but higher damage to compensate. Projectile heroes have an easier time hitting big targets, and are also good at spamming shots into an area or through a choke, forcing the enemy team to vacate the area.
    Flankers can be either hitscan or projectile, but their focus is on high mobility, damage avoidance, and operating without much support. They use their mobility to attack vulnerable members of the enemy team from angles that they wouldn't normally expect. These heroes include Sombra, Doomfist, Tracer, and Genji.

It's typically nice to have one hitscan and one projectile hero for flexibility, but there's plenty of times when that's not true as well.

The way support heroes are divided up is a little more fluid than the other categories, and what is or is not viable can really depend on the rest of your team comp. But the most basic way to divide them is Main Healers and Off Healers, or as AoE healers vs. Single Target Healers.
    Main Healers are able to output a high amount of Hitpoints per second (HP/s), providing the bulk of healing to their tanks during team fights. However, their ults are usually not as powerful. Main Healers are Mercy, Ana, and Moira.
    Off Healers are supports with lower HP/s, but with additional utility or stronger defensive ults that can potentially cancel out multiple enemy offensive ults. These guys include Lucio, Zenyatta, and Brigitte.
    Or, if you want to think of them a different way -
    AoE Healers are healers with lower single-target HP/s, but their healing can affect multiple heroes at a time, making them very efficient at cancelling out minor chip damage. This includes Lucio, Brigitte, and Moira.
    Single Target Healers are healers with high or reliable HP/s on single targets. They're good at saving single targets from heavy damage, but can struggle to keep up multiple hurt allies at the same time. This includes Mercy, Ana, Zenyatta-sort-of.

The main guideline for supports is to just try to have a mix between healer types. If you have an Ana already picked to keep up your tanks, then a Lucio to provide utility, AoE heals, and a powerful defensive ult is a good compliment to her.

Generally as you're trying to learn the game it's good to have at least one hero of each category. Like if you can play Rein, D.Va / Junkrat, Soldier / Mercy and Lucio, you're pretty much never going to have a game where you can't contribute something to your team's larger strategy.

One of the biggest things to internalize with Overwatch is that this is a game of discrete team fights. Since teamwork is so important, and teams are only made up of 6 players, as soon as you're at a numbers disadvantage your chance of winning a fight goes down precipitously. That means that it's important to group up with your team, move together, and then if you lose the fight to efficiently fall back or just die, so that you can get another chance to win the next team fight as soon as possible. This is all mandated by the game clock, which limits the number of attempts you get to win. So as a general guideline, when you're on attack, you want to get as many team fights as possible within the timer, and not waste time on longshot hero plays. If you're the last surviving attacker, and you use your ult to kill half the enemy team... It doesn't matter whatsoever, you just fed big time. Kills only matter insofar as they impact objective progress. On defense you want as few team fights as possible, because the clock is on your side, so if the attackers keep diddling around and not being able to make up their mind on how to attack, it's quite alright to just sit there and allow them to drain time off the clock (or even better, shoot their healer in the head and force them to wait for respawn). Good teams can have 5 or 6 fights in 4 minutes, while disorganized teams may only get 2-3. It makes a big difference to understand how important this is!

One other thing to master is what's known as the Ult Economy. Ults regenerate slowly passively, but most of their gains are from damage and healing output. The more time alive and playing you have, the more ults you can get, and the more you can use ults to win fights. If your team can use ults more efficiently than the other team, you have the advantage in the ult economy. As a basic example: You're playing soldier, and shoot a bunch of bullets into the enemy D.Va. You gain ult charge as a result. However, the enemy Lucio is also healing up that damage, and now he's gained ult charge off of your damage as well. When you use your ult Lucio also uses his, cancelling out the impact of your ult, and nothing really changes. The ult economy is more or less even.

However, lets say you pop your soldier ult, and then not only does Lucio use his defensive ult, but Zenyatta also uses his. Now the enemy team has fallen behind in the ult economy, because they used more ults than needed, and it means that now they have no defensive ult to counteract your next offensive ult - Free kills! Or on the other side, lets say Zarya uses her grav, and then rein earthshatters them, Pharah barrages, Reaper death blossoms, and Zen trances just because he just got excited. 2 of those ults used together would have already probably won the team fight, the rest of them were wasted. That means that now you don't have many resources to use for the next team fight, putting you at a potential disadvantage in the ult economy. Remember, most ults are pretty precious, you get a lot less ults in a match than you get lives.

Ultimates can be broken down into three or four rough categories:
    Defensive Ultimates are usually from support heroes, and are ults that improve the survivability of teammates or block damage. These are frequently some of the most powerful ults in the game, because of their ability to effectively cancel out multiple enemy ults. This includes Zen's Transcendance, Lucio's Sound Barrier, and Brigitte's Rally.
    Crowd Control Ults are usually from tank heroes, letting them can displace, disable, or silence enemies, but doesn't necessarily result in a lot of damage by themselves. Roadhog's Whole Hog, Zarya's Graviton Surge, Reinhardt's Earth Shatter, Mei's Blizzard, or Sombra's EMP.
    Offensive Ults are usually from DPS heroes, and they're about dealing damage and securing kills. Pharah's Barrage, McCree's High Noon, Genji's blade, etc.
    You could also consider some ults as Area Denial, such as Hammond's Mines or Torbjorn's Molten Core. Offensive ults usually charge the fastest, but it varies from hero to hero.

There's not really any hard and fast distinction between ult types, and many are a little bit of two types. Like Ashe's Bob can be used as both damage and area denial, Ana's Nanoboost boosts one hero's defensive and offensive capabilities, and Roadhog's Whole Hog can actually deal a lot of damage in the right circumstances, as well as dealing knockback.

Anyway, there's a lot of other concepts and stuff to understand, but the importance and intuitiveness of those concepts will depend a lot on what other shooters you've played and what heroes you play as. Like CS:Go players are going to understand corners, peeking, and sightlines already, ARMA players will know concise communication, etc. Here's some other sources that are helpful for new players:

For basic guides on heroes and concepts, the Overwatch University subreddit is a good resource:
    https://www.reddit.com/comments/9hknd0
    https://www.reddit.com/r/OverwatchUniversity/wiki/guides#wiki_ou_approved_hero_guides

Surefour has a couple good guides to How 2 Aim Gud, talking about both aim and defensive movement:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDbuuCs9ozY
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YS3dPWf6Xw

Jayne is an OWL coach and educational streamer, he's one of the best go-to resources for explaining complex game concepts clearly. His gameplay reviews on twitch and youtube are especially helpful.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mtxWvW_iic

KarQ is a support main who makes good educational videos, even if they're usually in listicle format:
    One Tip for Every Hero series

And his Overwatch Training Room series

There's also a lot of good streamers out there. Like I said before, don't worry about how good their aim is, just focus on all the other things - where they position, where they look, how they communicate with their team, why and when they use ults, and so on.

For pretty much any of these folks just google twitch and their user name:
    Emongg and Harbleu are both great at explaining their thought process on off tanks.
    Muma or Cloneman16 are both elite main tank players. AnneDro is also a popular Rein main, though I haven't watched a lot of her content yet.
    Eevee, Fran, or KarQ are all good flex support players.
    Seagull is an overwatch icon and plays just about everything at some point.
    Fareeha is a GM Pharah main
    Mangachu and Surefour are both known for their wide pool of DPS heroes
    FitzyHere is a good educational streamer who specializes on Sombra and Mei
    Kolorblind is a well known Bastion main

Kana on
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
    @TDawg ^

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
    Just threw in for a couple of QP matches on PC, stuck to Widow and sure enough had a few whiners. Ended up winning one match and losing another. The match we won I got POTG with two healer headshots and a Hanzo headshot in midair. Got flooded with shot caller endorsements.

I turned off chat the first time I heard two people complaining.

• CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    You know what's ridiculous, I've spent literally an entire day playing Roadhog and I still constantly miss hooks and fuck up the combo on skinny heroes. Why is it so hard to be good at videogames

• BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    Ideally your team will have one main tank, and one off tank. I didn't mention Hammond in the list of tanks, he's a little bit of an oddball, and can be played as either a main or off tank, although early on you're probably best off considering him an off-tank.

I see what you did there.

What I would add to Kana's discussion is a little more detail on team fights. On a very simplified level, you can think of every map type as requiring a certain number of team fights to win.

2CP Attack: 2 team fights, one for each point.
    2CP Defense: Every team fight.

Payload Attack: 6 team fights, two per payload stage
    Payload Defense: Every team fight

Hybrid Attack: 5 team fights, one for the initial point and 2 per payload stage
    Hybrid Defense: Every team fight

KotH: 3 team fights (roughly 33% per fight)

When viewed this way, you can see how attacking is always an "advantage" because you need to win fewer team fights.

As an attacker, your job is to have more, higher quality team fights. Quality is defined as having equal or greater player numbers than your opponent and/or having more/better ults than your opponent. You can win at a numbers/ult disadvantage, but it's harder to do so. As an attacker, it is better to have a first push that gets clobbered because the other team used all their ults while saving your own ults (called an economy push) and then have second, high quality push where you use your ults and crush them, winning the fight and the objective.

As a defender, your job is to have as few fights as possible and ensuring you don't give the attacking team an easy advantage during the fight. That means staying alive before the fight begins. Especially as DPS, it is tempting to expose yourself and shoot the opposing team while they're coming up to the local chokepoint, but if they have a sniper, what you're doing is trading some opponent health, which will be healed and give their healers ult charge, for an opportunity for you to get picked off, making your team much more likely to lose the coming fight. With my PA crew, we've burned minutes off the clock by standing behind walls waving at each other while the attacking team refused to get on the point because their double/triple snipers could never advance because they couldn't pick one of us off. If you think standing around isn't fun, consider the difference between Situation A: You get picked, your team gets rolled, and you respawn to a killfeed full of your team's deaths without ever contributing to the fight and a lost objective; and Situation B: You wait behind a wall for 30 seconds, but get to participate to a 6 vs 6 team fight. You only get one fight either way, so make it a good one.

Ult economy is something Kana's already talked about. The numbers component of a quality team fight is straightforward, but often needs to be explicitly stated. Someone dies in a fight. The obvious inclination upon respawning is to get back to the fight as fast as possible. This is often the right call! However, if that person's team is losing the fight, they might get back and find its now a 4 vs. 6 because two teammates died in the travel time. By the time those teammates get back, maybe two more teammates died so its still a 4 vs. 6. Repeat forever and you get what is called "trickling". In most cases, a team with a severe numbers disadvantage will handily lose the fight. By trickling, not only are you losing time, you're feeding the opponent team ult charge while not getting any yourself. If you die in a losing fight, wait in/near spawn, group up, and get a quality push. If you're still alive in the middle of a losing fight, die fast or kill yourself to avoid feeding ult charge to the other team and to quickly get back with your team for a quality push.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    what i'll sometimes do is just ping back and forth a couple heroes at the select screen to show what role i wanna play, like rotating brig/zen/lucio to go 'hey i can off heal' or swapping between winston and dva a couple times

anyway it's been covered extensively but there really is a fantastic surplus of good overwatch resources out there, you can literally just search '[hero name] guide' on youtube and like anything you click on will be worthwhile

the only thing is if heroes have since been patched or reworked, so look to stuff that's more recent

they're woefully out-of-date now, but i really do love boo's overwatch guides as just completely beginner-oriented, introductory videos on various characters

https://youtu.be/NqA8DyaG_WI

uc3ufTB.png
    I see what you did there.

Yes, that is definitely a thing I did on purpose. >.>
    2CP Attack: 2 team fights, one for each point.

It's not always true, but technically I think I'd say 2cp takes three team fight wins. Or at least like, ~2.5.

1 teamfight usually wins A outright unless the defense does a great job recontesting.
    1 teamfight for the first two ticks on B.
    1 teamfight for the final tick, because walk-back time is so short.

The last one can often be at a disadvantage, or it can be cancelled out entirely if the defenders got out-positioned in a fight and ended up giving up a tick early or for free.

• baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    I like Widowmakers that stand close enough to an edge that I can get an angle on them for guardian angel so I can reach them and heal them.

Like, I can SEE you up there and I know you’re dying but I can’t do anything about it without your help.

• RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    I was having an alright game as Mercy on attack eichenwalde

we were pushing the first point and I used valk to beam up the team and ensure that we won but toward the tail end of my valk I remembered that our team was eating rockets from an enemy pharah so I did what any self respecting Mercy would do

I swapped to pistol mode and aggressively floated in her general direction at 2mph

she died to my gun and I lost it. I thought to myself man I wish this could be potg and I knew it wouldn't and lo and behold it was for someone else but at the very tail end of the potg the dps it was for looked up and watched me potshot the pharah to death.

Oh! Also a couple of other minor things, but settings that you should definitely have

Make sure in options->controls you have Allied Health Bars turned on
    Then under options->gameplay
    Kill Feed - On
    And turn down Waypoint Opacity and Respawn Icon Opacity to like, 25% or so.

Knowing at a glance who on your team is hurt is a huge help to immediately knowing who on your team needs help, even if you're not a healer
    Kill Feed gives you vital info of whether you're winning or losing a fight
    The waypoint and respawn icons can obstruct your vision during gameplay, so you want to turn them down far enough that you can see through them.

• soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    If I pick soldier first, and then my team picks Ash, Hanzo, Widow, McCree, Symm I won't switch and will just accept what's coming to us is justice. At a certain point you get tired of always being the designated adult and just want to have fun like everyone else. Unless I'm more in the mood to win a QP round, then I'll sigh and pick tank/support, slick their hair down, wash some food off their cheek, pat them on the head as they run outside.

In other news, I came in late to this match after someone rage quit, the other team was riding on the payload, doing emotes, feeling great, and didn't get 20 yards past the next gate because I murdered them repeatedly as soldier (with some help obvs). My favorite part of this video is finishing off the other soldier with the rockets. You're in my house now punk. I love where soldier's at right now. I had several great matches with him last night. Also he's gay, I'm gay, it's great.

https://youtu.be/lPinQQNCmWo

This discussion has been closed.